PDA

View Full Version : Another Game

raskerino
10-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Lately I've had trouble really getting into a game... I've looked at my rpg collection and not really been interested in playng through anything again. New games I've tried mostly haven't caught me, but I'm really in the mood for an rpg that I haven't seen before.

Games I Have

Final Fantasy (1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,X,X-2,T)
Shadow Hearts (1,2)
Xenosaga (1,2)
Xenogears
Legend of Dragoon
Dark Cloud
Kingdom Hearts
Star Ocean (until the end of time)
Suikoden (4)
Chrono Trigger

I'm looking for a really well done storyline and easy to get into a game for ps or ps2. To help anyone who has ideas for what I should play these are my opinions of above games (numerically out of 10, I'm just rating them this way to make it quick). I'm only rating FF's after 6, I liked the ones 6 and earlier but I'm not looking for that type of game.

FF7 10
FF8 11 (favorite game)
FF9 9
FFX 9.5
FFX-2 8.5 (I liked it, sorry)
FFT 7.5 (didn't catch me)
SH1 8.5
SH2 10
XS1 8
XS2 7.5
XG 8.5
LOD 8
DC 5
KH 5
SO:TTEOT 7.5
Suikoden4 6.5
Chrono Trigger 8.5

I've thought about chrono cross but I don't know how good the storyline is, I've also heard interesting things about phantasy star but I'm not interested in an online game. It would be really great if anyone had any suggestions and reasons... thanks

Edit: And after reading the Xenogears v FF7 thread I'm thinking about playing through xenogears again as the story it seems I've forgotten a lot of.

Doomie
10-02-2005, 03:01 AM
Chrono Cross should do fine. I absolutely loved the storyline.

Slothy
10-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Just don't go into Chrono Cross expecting it to be the next Chrono Trigger and you should do fine. I've yet to get through the entire game, but I made it a fair way through and found the characters a little lacking if you ask me. There were just too many for them to really focus on any and I found it took away from the experience since CT had such loveable characters. Pretty much everyone I've talked to about it feels about the same way. Good game, but not really a worthy successor to CT. You might want to give Xmen Legends 2 a try if you're a comic fan at all. Might not be your thing since it is a dungeon crawling RPG, but I've been enjoying it a lot. How set are you on the next game you play being an RPG?

raskerino
10-02-2005, 03:19 AM
How set are you on the next game you play being an RPG?

Very set. Also X-Men is not something that strikes me as interesting. Anyone else have any ideas?

kikimm
10-02-2005, 03:43 AM
Would you have anythig against RPGs for the computer? There are a few games that I could easily recommend, but if you'd prefer playstation, then I won't bother.

Hmm. I think both Baldur's Gates are good, although it's more of a D&D type thing. I haven't played it yet, but I own Okage: Shadow King, and it looks really good. I would recomend Suikoden 3. And if you don't mind a bit of a challenge, I can also recommend Vagrant Story; what I played was excellent.

But that's all I got.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Xenogears is definitely worth another playthrough if you've inclination.

If you're not against extremely dark plotlines, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga are worth a look. If you're open to a strategy RPG I suggest Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, La Pucelle: Tactics, Phantom Brave, or Front Mission 4. Makai Kingdom is probably also worth buying, but I haven't yet procured it so I can't say for sure.

escobert
10-02-2005, 07:28 AM
The .Hack games are also very fun. You play in a simulated online world liek in a mmorpg but, it's single player :D

Pure Strife
10-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Whatever the latest Wild Arms game is. They're pretty good, go buy one of them. Decent enough story, fun characters, cool locations, frustrating world map system... everything a great RPG needs.

Alternatively, play Counter-Strike.

Dreddz
10-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Dark Cloud/Chronicle
Dosent matter which one you start with, Chronicle will give you 100 plus hours of enjoyment.........

Destai
10-02-2005, 08:46 PM
I thought both the Golden Sun games were also very good.

Dark Cloud 2/Chronicle is also really good as Dreddz said. I cant say the same for Dark Cloud though.

Masamune·1600
10-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Definitely Chrono Cross.

Rengori
10-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Go for Disgaea; it's one of the best PS2 RPG's out there. Phantom Brave works too. Or, you could just screw RPG's and get a platforming game like Megaman X4 or Ratchet and Clank.

RedCydranth
10-02-2005, 10:48 PM
I can't strees enough how wonderful Suikoden series is, even its worst game, Suikoden IV is a better game than most RPGs.

I really suggest you play Suikoden III, its magnificent, but since that is not on you list then I suggest Chrono Cross. Its a beautifully made game with a casty of decent characters. Like it was said above, don't go in thinking its as good as Chrono Trigger but its excellent on its own. You'll learn to love Serge and Karsh. Karsh rules.

raskerino
10-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks everyone, right now I'm thinking either Chrono Cross or Disgaea. For Wild Arms I think I'm gonna wait for it in the coming wave of games. Wild Arms 4 (or is it 5), Shadow Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XII, FFDoC, what could be better? *wets pants*

Edit: And Dark Cloud put me off wanting to play a sequel.

mj05
10-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Im a big final fantasy fan, with 8 being my favorite. The only other games i get into are resident evil games and devil may cry.