PDA

View Full Version : Jenova and the Cetra Theory

One_WinGed_d3mon
10-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Ok i been hearing alot of stuff about Jenova theory, she was sent from space through time probably by a more intelligence race maybe they sent her to kill other planets or maybe they were killed by Jenova and she move out to different planets from a parralel universe(if u notice bugugahen in cosmo cannon space room there is a blackhole,possible of going through time), her purpose is to land on a planet and kills all life on it then sucks out all its life energy source out. On her arrival she crash landed on Earth then creates a huge crater (known as North Crater) the cetra upon knowing the impact race over to the northern crater, and saw jenova, though she was a friend from outter space befriended her, she then dosent respect this friendship bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif did something that wiped out almost all of the cetra race and somehow died. Also i heard of a Theory that the Cetra race is Once more advance in technology, and i mean way more than shinra present, that the Cetra once itself was from a different space time and crashlanded on earth, then build there settlements there, if you could remembered correctly there is a b49 jet plane at the bone village, which couldnt been possibly created by shinra or the wutai.

boys from the dwarf
10-02-2005, 07:37 AM
?????

Masamune·1600
10-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Ok i been hearing alot of stuff about Jenova theory, she was sent from space through time probably by a more intelligence race maybe they sent her to kill other planets or maybe they were killed by Jenova and she move out to different planets from a parralel universe(if u notice bugugahen in cosmo cannon space room there is a blackhole,possible of going through time), her purpose is to land on a planet and kills all life on it then sucks out all its life energy source out.

The exact definition of JENOVA is ultimately debatable. Based on Vincent's assessment of JENOVA as "heaven's dark harbinger"/"an unpleasant thing sent by heaven"/any similar translation of the lines, one could potentially argue that JENOVA is in the nature of a judgment/plague sent by some unknown deity. I disagree with this assessment, particularly because it seems to conflict with what one might call, for lack of a better phrase, the "theology of he Lifestream."

Further, Sephiroth's stated intent before the climactic battle between Cloud and Seph adds detail, but further ambiguity, as to the overall role of JENOVA. Sephiroth, according to what he tells Cloud, desires to use Gaia (the planet) itself as a vehicle to move throughout the universe and establish a new planet. He then ties this back in with the "actions" of JENOVA. These lines vary greatly between translations, so I can't fully pass judgment until SE releases the official translation. Suffice it to say that, in many ways, Sephiroth and JENOVA are indistinguishable from one another.

Ultimately, then, it's difficult to pin an exact definition to JENOVA. It's certainly an extraterrestrial entity, very much like a virus, and diametrically opposed to the Lifestream of Gaia.

There's nothing, however, to suggest that JENOVA was sent by some more powerful/advanced race, or that it's from an alternate universe. These theories don't work, simply because there's literally nothing to support them.

Hopefully, the recently released FFVII Ultimania Omega guide or some other SE document will shed more light on the origins and exact nature of JENOVA.

On her arrival she crash landed on Earth then creates a huge crater (known as North Crater) the cetra upon knowing the impact race over to the northern crater, and saw jenova, though she was a friend from outter space befriended her, she then dosent respect this friendship bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif did something that wiped out almost all of the cetra race and somehow died.

Not exactly. The Cetra didn't just decide to be friends with JENOVA; they were deceived by the entity's ability to change its shape, which allowed it to inflict them with a mysterious virus.

The following is taken from Ifalna's testimony in the Icicle Inn tapes.

Ifalna: I'm all right... When the Cetra... were preparing to part with the
land they loved... That's when it appeared! It looked like... our... our dead
mothers... and our dead brothers. Showing us spectres of their past.

Gast: Who is the person that appeared at the North Cave? I haven't any idea.

Ifalna: That's when the one who injured the Planet... or the 'crisis from the
sky', as we call him, came. He first approached as a friend, deceived them,
and finally...... gave them the virus. The Cetra were attacked by the virus
and went mad... transforming into monsters. Then, just as he had at the
Knowlespole. He approached other Cetra clans...... infecting them with... the
virus...

Further, JENOVA didn't die, per se. It was defeated and confined by the Cetra, but could still come back.

Ifalna: Yes, but... There is no record of Weapon ever being used. A small
number of the surviving Cetra defeated Jenova, and confined it. The Planet
produced Weapon... But it was no longer necessary to use it.

Gast: So, Weapon no longer exists on the Planet?

Ifalna: Weapon cannot vanish. ...It remains asleep somewhere on the Planet.
Even though Jenova is confined, it could come back to life at some time... The
Planet has not fully healed itself yet. It is still watching Jenova.

Beyond this, it's obvious from FFVII that JENOVA's cells remain alive, even when separated.

Also i heard of a Theory that the Cetra race is Once more advance in technology, and i mean way more than shinra present, that the Cetra once itself was from a different space time and crashlanded on earth, then build there settlements there, if you could remembered correctly there is a b49 jet plane at the bone village, which couldnt been possibly created by shinra or the wutai.

Given the fact that Shinra had, as of the events of FFVII, developed advanced robotics, space flight, and the like, I hardly find it impossible that the jet was the product of current-era technology. There's nothing that actually links it to the Cetra. While there are numerous arguments for the supposition that the journey of the Cetra was interplanetary, as opposed to intraplanetary, none of them really have all that much to recommend them. In any case, a jet is hardly representative of deep space travel.

Cruise Control
10-02-2005, 12:29 PM
While there are numerous arguments for the supposition that the journey of the Cetra was interplanetary, as opposed to intraplanetary, none of them really have all that much to recommend them. In any case, a jet is hardly representative of deep space travel.Didn't either Aeris or Bunahagen make mention of the Cetra going from planet to planet, populating it? I am very sure they did.

Masamune·1600
10-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Actually, the line most similar to this was spoken by Sephiroth.

Sephiroth: You ignorant traitor. I'll tell you. This was a itinerant race. They
would migrate in, settle the Planet, then move on... At the end of their harsh,
hard journey, they would find the Promised Land and supreme happiness. But,
those who stopped their migrations built shelters and elected to lead an easier
life. They took that which the Cetra and the planet had made without giving back
one whit in return! Those are your ancestors.

The nature of the translation makes it diffiuclt to tell whether the Cetra were migrating in from another planet, or merely journeying across Gaia. However, given the nature of the Lifestream, it seems that the Cetra would be bound to the Planet, as their Spirit Energy is derivative of the Lifestream. Further, again referring to Sephiroth's stated intent to use Gaia as a vehicle to sail the universe and move to another planet(s), it seems possible that even his understanding of the history of the Cetra was colored by the incorrect inclusion of JENOVA as a member of the race.

?????
10-02-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm getting mental images of Cap'n Sephiroth and the Love Boat HMS Earth.

That makes me lol.

I didn't notice the B-49. Anyone got a screenshot?

bipper
10-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Great, a rip off of Lavos?

?????
10-02-2005, 07:53 PM
It worked once, so why not a second time?

But Lavos was actually based on Cthulhu, which was in turn based on old legends of angry gods that would spite humanity because they were jackasses.

Masamune·1600
10-02-2005, 08:34 PM
I didn't notice the B-49. Anyone got a screenshot?

The jet in Bone Village. (http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/screenshots/images/302.png) I'm sorry that the image is so small.

?????
10-03-2005, 03:45 AM
That link doesn't seem to be working.

Skyblade
10-03-2005, 03:48 AM
That link doesn't seem to be working.

Right click the link, select properties, copy the URL, paste it in your browser.

That site doesn't allow hotlinking to their images.