PDA

View Full Version : Kefka's Heritage

Flying Mullet
10-03-2005, 10:48 PM
I know that Kefka and Celes were infused with magic at some point in time before the start of the game, thus their magical abilities. Celes handled her magic infusions fine but Kefka finally went off the deep end from his.

I'm assuming that they enlisted in service for the Empire and then recieved their magic infusions along they way, similar to Cloud in FFVII. Is this true or did they recieve it when they were much much younger, perhaps when they were children? Celes mentions that Cid is like a grandfather to her and calls him such, but there is never any mention in the script that I can recall that would point to the fact that she grew up around him, only that she viewed him as a grandfatherly figure while she was working for the Empire. This would make sense as Cid would have probably looked over her during her magic infusion and thus some sort or nurturing relationship would have been born with Cid watching over her and her looking to Cid for support.

Anyways, thoughts?

TheAbominatrix
10-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Celes was infused as an infant (she says so as they're leaving Zozo for the first time). Kefka's age at the time of augmentation is never stated, but they speak of him being the first and saying something in his mind snapped that day, so I assume he was older, probably even an adult.

Cid did know Celes all her life and watched over her as such, yes.

Strider
10-04-2005, 04:32 AM
I wouldn't say Kefka "finally" went off the deep end from his infusions, though. It's pretty apparent from the moment he enters the picture that there's something different about him, that the psychological brew had been stewing for a while.

Even in the flashback with Terra after she falls in the cave, when he puts the Slave Crown on her head, he's encouraging some pretty aggressive activity on her part. She can't help it, of course, but the fact he's making her do it... yeah.

boys from the dwarf
10-04-2005, 07:18 AM
i thought that they did it to kefka first and he went crazy then realixed what went wrong then did it to celes and she stayed sane.

Sasquatch
10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Celes was infused as an infant (she says so as they're leaving Zozo for the first time).

Actually, I believe the line was "I don't remember, because I was asleep when they ... augmented me," in regards to where they draw the power to infuse magical abilities with, after Ramuh explains that other Espers are being drained of their powers but can't be fully drained until they die. However, I still agree with you and believe Celes was infused when she was very young -- I mean hell, how old is she when you find her? It had to be a few years before, at least.

After they did it to Kefka (probably as an adult), they revamped it, like boys from the dwarf said, figured it out, and did Celes right. Although maybe not as powerful as Kefka -- that may have been what the problem was, they tried to make him too powerful (and did), and his mind couldn't handle it.

Flying Mullet
10-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I always thought that Kefka snapped at some point in time before we ever see him in the game, or at least had already started cruising downhill at a good clip.

Also, I missed the infant infusion text from Celes, I'll have to look for that next time I play through. It's amazing what you still miss after playing the game umpteen times through.

TheAbominatrix
10-04-2005, 02:00 PM
In the battle for Narshe, she clearly says it was done when she was a baby.

CELES: When I was a baby I was artificially infused with magic, and

raised as a Magitek Knight.

TERRA: Have you...loved anyone?

CELES: ???

What's that supposed to mean?!

Regarding Kefka's infusion, this is all we learn

Here's one for you...

That guy Kefka? He was Cid's first experimental Magitek Knight.

But the process wasn't perfected yet. Something in Kefka's mind

snapped that day...!

So, for all we know, he could have been an upstanding, awesome guy. Or he could have been secretly crazy. They never tell us. The scene with Terra and the slave crown occurs after he's become a Magitek Knight.

And finally, Cid's relationship with Celes, from his own lips.

CID: CELES...

I've known her since she was a baby. I raised her as if she was my

own daughter!

But she was forced to become a Magitek Knight, and has done some

awful things.

If I could only talk to her...

I'd apologize for the way her life has turned out.

Flying Mullet
10-04-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm not arguing with you. I meant it when I said that I missed it and I would look for it when I play through next time.

TheAbominatrix
10-04-2005, 02:38 PM
I was replying to Sasquatch, you just got in first.

Flying Mullet
10-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Ahh, k. Admittedly I was a little taken aback when you basically said "Listen douche, I already told you it's in the game, now respect my authoritah!"

It all makes sense now. Pie for everyone! :chef:

TheAbominatrix
10-04-2005, 02:44 PM
I didnt mean it like that :skull2:

I do want some pie though.

theundeadhero
10-04-2005, 07:30 PM
As Flying Mullet said, it's amazing what you can miss even though you've played through the game a million times. Wow...