PDA

View Full Version : Help with Media

Lon611
10-04-2005, 03:04 PM
ok, so i have windows xp, and a farely new cpu that my dad built (he builds cpu's on the side). neways, its farely new, as in not even 6 months old.

neways the problem comes when im uploading either audio or video files from my camera to my cpu. pictures its ok with, but everytime i try and load a video or audio file, it gives me the "so and so has encoutered a problem and needs to close". for the video, im using RAD tools to convert the files so i can actually get to use them (i send them to my documents after the pop-up comes but before i click "send error report").

neways, this is really annoying, since imma big camera whore. also, after i converted alll my movie files, i still cna't get any type of audio files to load on movie maker 2.0. the same pop-up occurs and im forced to close movie maker. this is really annoying, and i need everything to be working fine because i have a big project concerning maybe 1000 pics, 100 videos and like 3 songs at the end of the year.
at first i thought it was my internet explorer, because i was once tolld that if u have firefox and ie, eventually ur cpu would begin fighting over who the default is, even tho u can set whihc one as ur default, and that its better to just let ie6 be the only cowboy on the block. so i deleted firefox, same deal. i thot that some of the matroska packs i dowloaded are the problem, and that it affected the media. i uninstalled those, and the problem persisted. i even tried virus scanning not ONLY my cpu BUT my camera as WELL. nothing came up.

so anyone with experience or know-how or superior cpu knowledge, PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEe help me. thank you :whimper:

Flying Mullet
10-04-2005, 03:11 PM
at first i thought it was my internet explorer, because i was once tolld that if u have firefox and ie, eventually ur cpu would begin fighting over who the default is, even tho u can set whihc one as ur default, and that its better to just let ie6 be the only cowboy on the block.
I think someone was yanking your chain. I've never heard that and have always used Firefox as my default in Windows. I do know that certain programs will override the default that the OS uses and you have to set those individually, but that shouldn't cause problems for your machine.

As to your unexpected error and closing app problem, are you using the software that came with the camera to upload the data from your computer? If you try to use another company's software to upload the data you can run into problems.

Also, a lot of cards that cameras use these days are treated as letter drives when you plug them into the card readers. I rarely use the upload software anymore and just open up windows explorer instead and just copy the data from my card to my hard drive and then just delete the data off of the card once it's copied over. I find it to be a lot easier to use than the software that came with the camera for uploading the data.

Lon611
10-04-2005, 03:18 PM
hahaha it was my dad that told me the firefox thing and he made a pretty big deal about it, so i fell for it.

neways, yes im using the same program that came with the camera, tho i just open it up as a letter drive and do the exact same thing that you're doing :confused:

i thought maybe i needed service pack 2, but since im using a "bootleg" version of xp, it won't let me dl it :weep:

i've also tried reinstalling the program that came with my camera, but to no luck :/