PDA

View Full Version : FFIV: The Thread

Cain
10-05-2005, 01:19 AM
I took a look around, and I didn't see a thread for just general talk about this game, so I'm making one.

This is my second favourite FF. FF's 1,4,6,7,8,9, 10 and 10-2 are all the ones I've played, and aside from FFX, this one is just simply amazing. I actually feel for the characters in this game, unlike most other games. The only character in FFIV that I don't like, is Edward, he's so useless for 99% of the game.

Right now, I'm at the part where I have to go three the tower where the dwarven tanks are attacking as a distraction. It's so that Cain and Co. can get the last crystal.

Now discuss.

boys from the dwarf
10-05-2005, 06:39 AM
in my opinion FF8 has the most developed characters. but considering there old games the FF old series is amazing. FF4 is my second most favourite out of 1-6 6 being my favourite but it is unfair to compare them with newer ones.the babil giant isnt too hard to get through as long as you have decent levels and some good weapons.whixh is why i always make sure i have odin,leviathan and bahamut and also excalibur when i go through it. the old FFs are great though. simple but entertaining .

Sasquatch
10-05-2005, 05:56 PM
but it is unfair to compare them with newer ones

True. The newer ones wouldn't hold a candle to the likes of IV and VI. It wouldn't be fair.

Flying Mullet
10-05-2005, 05:59 PM
True. The newer ones wouldn't hold a candle to the likes of IV and VI. It wouldn't be fair.
;)

TheAbominatrix
10-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Pretty much.

Also, while VIII had the development of Squall and Rinoa (horridly done, I feel), they completly ignored the rest of the characters. All they got was the 'omg same orphanage!' deal.

Anyway, IV was amazing. The story of Cecil going from darkness to light was so touching, as was Cain's struggle with his own personal demons. Rydia's transformation from child to adult was very cool, and the twist of Cecil and Golbeza was perfect.

There's nothing I dont like about IV... even Gilbert, though he is pretty damn useless.

x_Hopeless_Deviate_x
10-05-2005, 07:35 PM
I just beat FF4 for the first time last week and I have to say I was pretty impressed with the game overall.
Considering the time when it was released, it was quite spectacular.
Cecil and Rydia are awesome!
^_^

Captain Maxx Power
10-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Characters are as deep as you're prepared to make them. Most of the time, if you don't talk to all the NPCs/do all the sidequests etc. you don't get the full story around most characters. Then again, FF's 1, 2 and 3 have easily the worst player character development at all (read: non-exsistant).

ThroneofDravaris
10-05-2005, 07:54 PM
While I like the challenge posed in this game (the hard type at least), however, this is probably my least favorite in the series FFIV-VI. The story line and characters are slightly better than FFV, although this cannot save the game from its poor graphics (compared to FFV and especially FFVI), boring leveling system, flawed battle system (Damn it, heal Kain as well!) and lack of side quests. Even though the characters you use in the end are probably the best, it would have been nice if they had let you choose whichever ones you want as well.

Bah, why people consider this game better than FFV I’ll never understand…

Chris
10-05-2005, 08:11 PM
At first I didn't care much about FFIV, but I eventually got to like it. I don't think its one of the best (and most certainly not on my Top 5) but it is a rather good game.

Destai
10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
but it is unfair to compare them with newer ones

burn? The old ones are okay if you're not terribly nostalgic but thats really all I can say. VI is still really great though.

crashNUMBERS
10-05-2005, 09:18 PM
This game is the god SNES RPG. Cecil to a paladin?? Great. Rydia to adult?? Kick ass. Golbez, FuSuYa, and KuSoYa connection towards Cecil?? Unbelievable. Edward being the only wussy in the game was actually entertaining. Edge being one of the best characters and most perverted. King. This game just has one of the best cast and roster of characters. Why has square not made another game like IV. Yeah they have to be original but most of the new stuff they pull is garbage. Not saying that FFVII sucks. It is a really great game but nothing compared to IV..

P.S. FFIX Ownz

Flying Mullet
10-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Edge being one of the best characters and most perverted. King.
Pun intended?

crashNUMBERS
10-05-2005, 09:32 PM
No. He is one of the best characters...

DJZen
10-05-2005, 09:37 PM
He was referring to the "king" comment.

Destai
10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Why has square not made another game like IV. Yeah they have to be original but most of the new stuff they pull is garbage.I'd hardly call it garbage but they have made aload of stuff similar to it.

golbez, FuSuYa, and KuSoYa connection towards Cecil?? Unbelievablecorny more like.
Edge being one of the best characters and most perverted.Plenty of RPG's have those.
This game just has one of the best cast and roster of characters. I think alot of RPG's have very similar characters. The games main claim to fame if you ask me is Nostalgia.

TheAbominatrix
10-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Golbez, FuSuYa, and KuSoYa connection towards Cecil??

KluYa, not KluSoYa.

Anyway, it may sound corny now... but had any video game done something like that before? This was heavy drama for SNES days, regardless.

Destai
10-05-2005, 10:46 PM

KluYa, not KluSoYa.

Anyway, it may sound corny now... but had any video game done something like that before? This was heavy drama for SNES days, regardless.
Im sure FFIV's level of detail was fascinating back in those days but even that storyline in comparison to the movies and tv of the time.

Anyway I can understand people who feel its one of the greatest games ever. I feel the exact same torwards FFVII as I'd never played a game anything like it before. That doesnt mean either of them are though. It just made a good impression for me.

crashNUMBERS
10-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah I forgot. I haven't passed that far from that part but I've been playing too much trying to kill the four fiends. Thing is yesterday before I went to bed I beat them and then walked proudly to the CPU and found out I had to fight. Which was complete bogus. So I had to turn it off and fight em all over...

EDIT: To Abonimatrix or something

TheAbominatrix
10-05-2005, 10:52 PM

KluYa, not KluSoYa.

Im sure FFIV's level of detail was fascinating back in those days but even that storyline in comparison to the movies and tv of the time.

Anyway I can understand people who feel its one of the greatest games ever. I feel the exact same torwards FFVII as I'd never played a game anything like it before. That doesnt mean either of them are though. It just made a good impression for me.

Of course it had been done in books, movies, and tv for quite some time. Heck, Star Wars has the very similar 'dark enemy = main character's family'. But for video games, it was really ahead of its time. Especially, I feel, in Cecil's way of dealing with it.

And of course... I dont know if either of them are the greatest games ever. Or if there's even a game out there that would qualify. There are flaws, bland spots, and so on in pretty much every game ever made. It really all just varies person to person.

I think one thing both IV and VII had in common were their progressive ideas... and I wonder, had IV been the PS1 game and VII been the SNES game, would fan reactions be different? It's interesting to consider.

Masamune·1600
10-06-2005, 03:53 AM
I think one thing both IV and VII had in common were their progressive ideas... and I wonder, had IV been the PS1 game and VII been the SNES game, would fan reactions be different? It's interesting to consider.

Almost certainly. It's unfortunate, but for every fan who evaluates a game based on its own merits, there are two that get caught up in system rivalries and the pathos of "old school vs. new school."

KuSoYa

XD

Yeah I forgot. I haven't passed that far from that part but I've been playing too much trying to kill the four fiends. Thing is yesterday before I went to bed I beat them and then walked proudly to the CPU and found out I had to fight. Which was complete bogus. So I had to turn it off and fight em all over...

The general strategy is to destroy the Defender so it stops healing the CPU. Don't destroy the Attacker, though, as this will lead the CPU to start using the 9999 damage GLOBE99/Globe199.

Anyway, as much as I love FFIV, I much prefer FFV, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, and T. While the characters were certainly well developed at the time of release, they don't really compare to the characters of VI, VII, IX, X, or T. Moreover, the story, for all of its apparently "high drama," was lacking compared to the stories of every title which followed (well, the ones I listed, anyway). At the same time, FFIV had excellent music, and the game certainly had a "grandeur" to it. Further, the Developer's Room is perhaps the greatest easter egg ever.

KoShiatar
10-06-2005, 12:34 PM
I love IV to the death and I always will, but I'm having a hard time explaining why.
It just...grew on me, so to speak. I was fascinated by the premises and the introduction and I wasn't able to stop until I had finished it all, even if I had to put aside the other games I was playing at the time.
Why that? FF VI had better graphics, music and storyline and a bigger and more customizable party, so why?
I suppose it was a mix of different things, including the general feeling I got from it. FF IV is captivating in the way old epic stories were, it appeals to the archetipal part of me. And I loved, absolutely loved, Kain's charachter. From his looks, to his story, to his unrequited love and the way he switches allegiances and such. How both King Baron and Rosa loved Cecil more than him and still he tried to hide his resentful feelings out of his loyalty to both...Beautiful, grealty portrayed. Even by today's standards, but with much simpler means.

DJZen
10-06-2005, 02:28 PM
You don't have to analyze it that much, it was just a fun game, plain and simple.

Cain
10-07-2005, 02:14 AM
You don't have to analyze it that much, it was just a fun game, plain and simple.

Ditto

Right now, I'm putting off FFVI, FFI, Radiata Stories (Human-Side)...and that's it, I think. FFIV is just so enticing.

KoShiatar
10-07-2005, 09:43 PM
I know analyzing too much a game is bad, but I wanted to get an explanation for my obsessive love for it.
After all, maybe it is so lovable also because the storyline is clear and simple, no big unsolved mysteries and very little speculation crap...