PDA

View Full Version : Which is better FFX Or Shadow Hearts 2?

The_Great_Question
10-05-2005, 04:17 AM
Try answering this from a non Final Fantasy Fan
Which did you think was alot better...

Final Fantasy 10(the one with the annoying main character who wasnt real)

OR.....

Shadow Hearts 2 Covenant(The RPG that was set around world war 1 and with great and comical characters)

well viewing at that you dont have to be Mr Hawkins to figure which i liked the best :) :p :D

raskerino
10-06-2005, 01:56 AM
First off people should only vote having played both. I loved FFX but Sh:2 is my favorite ps2 rpg. I't so awesome on so many different levels.

annslow41
10-06-2005, 03:45 AM
Hmm, never played Sh:2 but sounds like imma be buying it!

Yuffie514
10-10-2005, 06:43 AM
i played SH2 (not Silent Hill 2), and both were great. i cannot however vote however for it, b/c i had not beaten it yet. how about a question of Hearts...Kingdom or Shadow???

Skyblade
10-10-2005, 08:51 AM
i played SH2 (not Silent Hill 2), and both were great. i cannot however vote however for it, b/c i had not beaten it yet. how about a question of Hearts...Kingdom or Shadow???

That'd be Kingdom, with no contest. Shadow Hearts 2 was a good game, and better than FFX (IMHO), but it doesn't come close to Kingdom Hearts.

DK
10-10-2005, 10:52 AM
The stupid SP meter and Judgement ring make SH fail against X.

raskerino
10-10-2005, 02:47 PM
The stupid SP meter and Judgement ring make SH fail against X.

I loved the judgement ring- it gave you an active role in the effects of each attack. Though it did make the game too easy at some points.

That'd be Kingdom, with no contest. Shadow Hearts 2 was a good game, and better than FFX (IMHO), but it doesn't come close to Kingdom Hearts.

Well that's gonna start another debate but I don't see how Kingdom Hearts would possibly win (more like should win as there are a lot of fans, I have no clue why). All below is my opinion but I think SH2 crushes in a lot of areas.

Story:
KH: Incredibly weak, circles around 3 or 4 characters who have no back story (except maybe Kairi's which is she's a princess, how incredibly subtle). Very few plot twists, but as their's not much of a plot I guess they had as many as they could.
SH: Sophisticated plot with a decent # of twists, there was a real story and it was developed, I personally loved it.
SH2 Story>>>>>KH Story
Characters:
KH: Sora didn't have that much of a character except being the heroic hero (which I find boring). Donald and Goofy could be funny but again had very little character. Riku only showed up what 6-8 times in the game, and a lot of it's in combat and has absolutely no development, his was weak. Notice no character so far has any backstory behind the game that effects it so far. Kairi turns out to be one of the princesses, and oh wait that's it. Ansem is the only character who has a real back story- but that's a side mission, and nothing in the story had caught me remotely close to enough to make me go to that effort. The script I found mediocre
SH2: I won't talk as much here but suffice it to say Yuri had a huge backstory (SH:1) and was a hugely developed character, with to me far more humor, development, backstory than anything(imo everything) in KH. I will note the script was absolutely great.
SH2 Characters>>>>>KH Characters
Graphics::
KH: OK you might have liked them but they were bright shades of basic colors- which is not strong graphics (I'm not talking even about the level of it, but it looked like disney (cause it was with disney) which is very weak.
SH2: Interesting detailed backgrounds, wonderful use of colors (that actually had shades!!!), and an overall dark tone that I found most similiar in another game to FF8's (cause some of the workers on that worked on SH2).
SH2 Graphics>>>>>KH Graphics
Gameplay:
KH: Basically a button masher with a couple spells, I beat it without trouble by button mashing and occasionally healing myself, other spells cost MP which was important for healing so when I used them I did worse (except in fights where it was neccesary).
SH2: Timed button pressing where every action must be done within the judgement ring, more challenging (as you don't just press X).
I'm not gonna evaluate this though I think SH2 owns again.
SH2 Gameplay is different than KH Gameplay
Replay:
KH: Had what? two sidequests I remember (correct me if there were more). And the only time a character is developed is in a sidequest, so it's important but should be part of the normal game.
SH2:Replay had a hell of a lot more sidequests than 2, and they were detailed, having connections with SH1 and truly added to the storyline without being neccesary (optional). It also had the most wonderful feature ever: THEATER, you can go back and watch any scene again, oh how I love that feature.
SH2 Replay>>>KH Replay
Total
SH2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>KH

In my eyes there are only 2 reasons why someone could prefer KH, if they loved that button mashing gameplay or they loved KH for some odd reason (or hated SH2 for some odd reason). So while this whole post has been off topic I will ask one more question, why is KH so popular??? I can't understand it for the life of me.

By the way SH2 and FFX would be much harder to compare for the fact that they both have sophisticated, script, plot, character backstory and gameplay. Though I do prefer SH2 slightly in every one of those categories the comparison is much harder to make and much more based on you the player than the game itself.

Sorry if my anti-KH post pisses anyone off, I do think it would pawn SH2 in a competition, but because it's much more widespread and advertised, and cause people like disney like graphics, characters and plot. All of this has been my opinion so while it comes off like I think I'm stating fact, I don't- I'm stating what I think without typing imo after everything.

Dreddz
10-10-2005, 05:11 PM
FFX
I havent actually played SH2, but I have the first one and beat it. Werent great, I would never go back and play it....

Epiphany
10-10-2005, 06:22 PM
SH2 all the way.

raskerino
10-10-2005, 06:38 PM
FFX
I havent actually played SH2, but I have the first one and beat it. Werent great, I would never go back and play it....

I liked SH but SH2 was much better (and while they're very connected they SH2 could be played first without being too confused).

SH2 all the way.

Agreed.

Gaomajiro
10-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Can't really comment on X...but SH2 just makes me cry. I'm about 25 hours in and it pales when placed next to the first game. *sigh* They could have done so much more with it...and again, the lack of a Japanese audio track doesn't help the game's atmosphere.

TurkSlayer
10-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Do you need to play the first Shadow Heart to play the second one?