PDA

View Full Version : have you noticed this is

ffxfreak93
10-05-2005, 04:30 AM
have you noticed that none of the main characters in ffx says tidus?
(if there is a thread about this already i am sorry) :D

Pinkus
10-05-2005, 04:52 AM
Yeah that's because you can name him yourself and they wouldn't be able to say the name you give him so they avoid it altogether.

Russielloyd
10-05-2005, 05:55 AM
Noiticed this first time of playing it. His names not even mentioned in X-2 either.

deathtrooper
10-05-2005, 07:58 AM
yeah, in ffx-2 they all call tidus "HIM"
and ffx they never say tidus!
its a bit weird since that rpg maker xp thing to make an rpg
has a script so you can put your cahrecters name
why cant it be like that with none talking charecter?

TheAbominatrix
10-05-2005, 07:59 AM
His name is said in the game by NPCs.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
10-05-2005, 01:49 PM
his name is not spoken because you have to name him, and because not everyone keeps the default name they leave it out of the dialog. if they where going to say his name they would have had to include some kind of text-to-speech program in the programming, and they qould not have been able to do that because square had problems with memory when they made the game.

(Apparently they had to cut out a lot of the intended story line because the did'nt have enough memory)

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
10-05-2005, 03:14 PM
i would luv to get some info on that missing story. if anyone has a link that wud be great

Old Manus
10-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Maybe it's cause nobody actually ASKS HIM HIS NAME

Anniexo
10-05-2005, 07:41 PM
ya even his dad whouldn't say his name

deathtrooper
10-05-2005, 08:05 PM
it IS said by npcs?
oh, sorry.... :i

kikimm
10-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Yes, we've all noticed it. ;P But that doesn't help heal the pain. Not at all.

ffxfreak93
10-06-2005, 12:48 AM
his name is not spoken because you have to name him, and because not everyone keeps the default name they leave it out of the dialog. if they where going to say his name they would have had to include some kind of text-to-speech program in the programming, and they qould not have been able to do that because square had problems with memory when they made the game.

(Apparently they had to cut out a lot of the intended story line because the did'nt have enough memory)

oh thats why

ya even his dad whouldn't say his name

kinda sad.....but funny at the same time

boys from the dwarf
10-06-2005, 07:49 PM
if the characters have sound unlike the ones on previous FFs its best to stay clear of nameable characters.

ffxfreak93
10-06-2005, 09:33 PM

you have a point there.....

blackmage_nuke
10-07-2005, 02:07 AM
they dont say the name of any aeons either (except anima and final aeons name)

they use tidus's name in Kingdom Hearts though

ffxfreak93
10-10-2005, 12:28 AM
they use tidus's name in Kingdom Hearts though

yeah the pronounce it t-eee-dus it should be t-ie-dus

TheAbominatrix
10-10-2005, 12:29 AM
I think the creators would know more about how to pronounce the name they made than we would.

Masamune·1600
10-10-2005, 01:32 AM
TheAbominatrix is completely correct; there's a reason that Tidus' name is as such, and this reason lends iteslf necessarily to that pronunciation. Tidus means "sun" in the Okinawan dialect of Japanese; clearly, this helps establish Tidus as the main character, as well as giving him a more obvious link to the Sun Crest and Sigil. Moreover, the game's very setting was based on Okinawa. The actual word is pronounced tee-dus, and, given its significance here, obviously retains that pronunciation.

HunterFlamebrow
10-10-2005, 03:29 AM
Yeah, nowhere is it said "Tie-dus" -- they never say his name in the game, right? Everywhere I've heard it said "officially" -- Kingdom Hearts, FF Dear Friends concert, and I think maybe FFX: Another Story (not sure though -- if they do, they say it in Japanese, since it's subtitled) -- it has been "Tee-dus."
It's just that the American tendency is to pronounce it with the long "i" sound, so everyone gets used to hearing that. Just like everyone says "Sephiroth" with a th at the end, not an s.

ffxfreak93
10-10-2005, 04:41 AM
Yeah, nowhere is it said "Tie-dus" -- they never say his name in the game, right? Everywhere I've heard it said "officially" -- Kingdom Hearts, FF Dear Friends concert, and I think maybe FFX: Another Story (not sure though -- if they do, they say it in Japanese, since it's subtitled) -- it has been "Tee-dus."
It's just that the American tendency is to pronounce it with the long "i" sound, so everyone gets used to hearing that. Just like everyone says "Sephiroth" with a th at the end, not an s.

http://ricelliff.tripod.com/Fred_05.jpg(don't take this picture
seriosly...)