PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest

Vincent69
10-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Has anyone ever played any of the dragon quest games cause we dont get them over in the uk. Are they worth getting on import?

is it just me or are they a cross between dragonball and FF?

Captain Maxx Power
10-05-2005, 12:54 PM
is it just me or are they a cross between dragonball and FF?

Considering it's the same artist, similarities will be drawn. However, unlike DB, DQ doesn't stand around talking for twenty minutes before actually letting you play for two minutes before repetition.

Vincent69
10-05-2005, 01:42 PM
i noticed in the video demo that some of the characters were similar to those in DB and that in one of the fight scenes one of the character powered up like in DB then transformed in to what looked like a super sayjin. can any one confirm any of this or am i talking a load of crap?

crazybayman
10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Last Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior I played was Dragon Warrior 4, way back in the day on the NES. Incredible RPG for its time.

Definitely comparable to FF back then. I'd say it'll be comparable now. The main difference I found was that in the battle screen you saw the enemies from the first person perspective, and you didn't see your own characters. I think now (in DQVIII) at times you see your own characters during certain battle sequences, but a lot of the time you don't, as its from the first person perspective.

I found the first person perspective very good. It added a different kind of excitement to the battles.

Flying Mullet
10-05-2005, 01:55 PM
i noticed in the video demo that some of the characters were similar to those in DB and that in one of the fight scenes one of the character powered up like in DB then transformed in to what looked like a super sayjin. can any one confirm any of this or am i talking a load of crap?
Yes, he does look like a super sayjin, but, as was mentioned before, Akira Toriyama does the character design for both Dragon Quest and Dragon Ball so you're going to see some similarities.

Here's the demo video we're talking about if anyone hasn't seen it: http://www.dragonquest8.com/

And all I can say after seeing the video is OMG ... HELL YES ... I CAN'T WAIT! :excited:

Vincent69
10-05-2005, 02:06 PM
i agree with Flying Mullet i hope it comes out in the uk. thanks for the input guys any more info on the game or any from the series would be grate to.

DJZen
10-05-2005, 10:29 PM
FF and DQ have always been close cousins, constantly ripping each other off and one-upping each other. Dragon Quest VII is the BEST SELLING VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME EVER. And it sold roughly 5 copies in America. That should really tell you something about how popular it is over in Japan. It's funny how you have all these American Japanophiles who make it a point to use Japanese emoticons and watch anime obsessively, but they'll still be FF fanboys while completely ignoring DQ, which CONSITANTLY OUTSELLS FF IN JAPAN BY A VERY WIDE MARGIN.

Anyway, as far as the differences....

-DQ makes you level up more than FF. A LOT more.
-FF traditionally uses elemental magic more while DQ's magic is more effect based.
-DQ has caravans
-FF has chocobos
-DQ tends to be more traditional, adding new elements to the same formula slowly, causing the game to feel very similar to previous installments, while FF likes to radically alter the formula every so often (FFII, FFVIII, FFXI, etc.) just to keep you on your toes.
-Dragon Quest tends to be a lot less epic and narrative, focusing instead on the gameplay, while FF goes off into another dimension while straining for artistic merit.

Now to clear up the rumors...

In DQVIII you see your own party members during battle. Enemy selection is still done from a first person perspective, but attacks themselves show the characters.

DQ has quite literally NOTHING in common with DBZ, DB, DBGT, or anything that might have the phrase "Dragon Ball" in it. The "Super Sayin" comments are off the mark entirely. Those screen shots depict DQVIII's equivalent of trance mode. DQ is a swords and sorcery adventure, there is no martial arts or extra terrestrial aspect. The only thing the two franchizes share is an insane amount of popularity and a character illustrator.

crazybayman
10-06-2005, 12:47 PM
In DQVIII you see your own party members during battle. Enemy selection is still done from a first person perspective, but attacks themselves show the characters.
Ahh.....right, that's what I saw in the trailer. Which should be better than entirely all first person.

I'm beginning to get excited about this.

The one thing I'd say I'll like better about FF is the fact that DQ is done entirely as a cartoon (or Anime). But maybe that'll grow on me.

BTW, like the sig, DJZen :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-06-2005, 01:51 PM
For whatever reason, the Japanese have a predilection for games that are all about stat-building and dungeon-crawling. They can have them.

crazybayman
10-06-2005, 02:44 PM
For whatever reason, the Japanese have a predilection for games that are all about stat-building and dungeon-crawling. They can have them.
This is what sticks out in my mind the most about DW1. Hours and hours of constantly fighting slimes just to get that frickin' copper sword, and leave the first area :p

DJZen
10-06-2005, 03:06 PM
The copper sword was nothing, it was the raising 9827658365823658236587645982365 gold for theFlame Sword and Silver Shield that made me want to slash my wrists, but it was all worth it in the end. Also, this game can be beaten on level 18. That's right, LEVEL 18! As in, those "countless hours of levelling up" aren't all that countless. Most people finish the game at level 23 or so.

bipper
10-06-2005, 04:02 PM
DQ has quite literally NOTHING in common with DBZ, DB, DBGT, or anything that might have the phrase "Dragon Ball" in it. The "Super Sayin" comments are off the mark entirely.

This is kinda disproved in itself. The blonde spikey hair follows the exact same style used on gohan. I really don't think the connection is basless, especcially when there has been quite a few people who pick up on it.

Is it classless? No, not in the least. It just looks like dragonball, which has a style that is very appealing. Why change somthing that works good? Sure he may look like a super saiyan, saying that the comment is off mark when there is perfect proof, is just uncalled for.

I honestly like the Dragon warrior leveling. It was for some reason a huge factor in me likeing the game so much. Taking the time to level and upgrade your equipment, which means life or death in these games, was absolutly exiting.

Bipper

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Dragon Quest has always been an interesting series, but the fact that there isn't as much of an emphasis on an epic storyline is generally something of a problem to me, as a storyline in an RPG is the most important thing. They're still rather enjoyable, but I generally prefer Final Fantasy over Dragon Quest because they're more involved.

Obviously not saying that FF is utterly superior to DQ, but in general I've enjoyed those games better. I admittedly lack the patience to sit around leveling up for hours on end, I have other things I need to do.

DJZen
10-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Is it classless? No, not in the least. It just looks like dragonball, which has a style that is very appealing. Why change somthing that works good? Sure he may look like a super saiyan, saying that the comment is off mark when there is perfect proof, is just uncalled for.

Okay, here's how I back up my statements:

http://www.dqshrine.com/dq/dq8/dq8-a02.jpg http://vegeta106numero3.skyblog.com/pics/207492046.jpg

And look, more comparison picture fun!

http://www.dqshrine.com/dq/dq8/dq8-a03.jpg http://www.dragontrunks.com/img/hercule2.jpg
http://www.dqshrine.com/dq/dq8/dq8-a05.jpg http://www.dbzgt.hu/dbz/serials/Namek/barat/Bulma.jpg
http://www.dqshrine.com/dq/dq8/dq8-a07.jpg http://members.aol.com/MASTER54X/Sale/Wallscroll-DBZ-01.gif

So when I say calling it DBZ like is off the mark, that's why.

bipper
10-07-2005, 02:33 PM
yes, but compare the pictures to the actual characters we are comparing too. Gohan looks much like the hero (especially in his trance mode), trunks look like kukule and bulma looks like Jessica. The creature looks more diverse, but the other characters are just similar to DBZ. That is all I have ever been saying, and several are agreeing to this. It's really no big deal, and you even said it is visually sorta like DBZ in the last thread we got into this at. Its fine if it does, I just wonder why they are so much like. Why.. not if.

Bipper

Flying Mullet
10-07-2005, 03:15 PM
AGAIN:

Yes, he does look like a super sayjin, but, as was mentioned before, Akira Toriyama does the character design for both Dragon Quest and Dragon Ball so you're going to see some similarities.

KoShiatar
10-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Let's face the truth: Toriyama characters look a lot like one another.
He knew this 25 years ago already, when he made fun of himself having Arale and Akane switching roles in a Dr.Slump & Arale Chan episode just by changing their hairstyles because "This author draws all female characters with the same face!"
He had a lot of self-irony back then.

bipper
10-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Its fine if it does, I just wonder why they are so much like. Why.. not if.

by why, i merely mean why does akira's drawings look so similar. :D He still rocks.

DJZen
10-08-2005, 09:01 PM
I think we're talking about different things here. I'm talking more about the overall look of the characters, which seems to be leaning towards rennaisance clothing and hair styles, whereas DBZ uses a more modern/martial arts uniform/sci-fi look. I think you're just talking about things like build and facial structure, which yes, are similar.

Also, the tension mode is VERY similar to trance mode, I'm really suprised that nobody's pointing this out.

Also also, you're not even going to be thinking the phrase "Dragon Ball" once you start fighting things like Slimes, Drakees, mummies, Druins and other DQ style baddies.

bipper
10-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Aye, exactly what I have been saying. The facial features and build look very Dragonballish. I am sure if there is a good storyline, the characters will shine into thier own.

All things aside, I am so buying this title.

Bipper

crazybayman
10-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Also also, you're not even going to be thinking the phrase "Dragon Ball" once you start fighting things like Slimes, Drakees, mummies, Druins and other DQ style baddies.
:hyper:

Vincent69
10-16-2005, 01:39 AM
looks like this game is gonna be worth the wait. i really hope it comes out here in the uk

Dreddz
10-16-2005, 06:07 PM
its very unlikly coming to uk

oceanfr
10-22-2005, 04:16 AM
Played the remake for PS1 not the ps2 ver yet, im sure you can find em at Gametz though

Havoc
10-22-2005, 04:52 PM
its very unlikly coming to uk

Well that's a kick in the nuts, seeing as how the translators have chosen to use British spellings of words.

Favour
Armour
etc...

Sepho
10-22-2005, 05:19 PM
I'd think that's probably more in the interest of keeping the Old English-esque speech patterns than appealing to the British crowd, but I have been wrong before!

DJZen
10-22-2005, 08:02 PM
They might try to bring it to Europe. I know that Square-Enix wants it to be the DQ equivalent of FFVII, and so they might try and test the waters there.

Vincent69
10-25-2005, 12:24 PM
i got a ne-mail from square askin if i would be interested in the game and had to fill out some questions so the must be lookin at bringin it over here

KoShiatar
10-25-2005, 08:38 PM
I remember filling a survey as SE site saying I would be interested in the game coming to Europe, but I lost the link. Can anyone find it out?

Del Murder
11-14-2005, 06:49 AM
That chick's rack is a little excessive.

Flying Mullet
11-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Just a little.

Erdrick Holmes
11-14-2005, 02:34 PM
I personally like Akira Toriyama style art, maybe because I watched DBZ alot back in the day.

I just recently got hooked into the DQ series (rather late really since I'm almost 21 years old) and I'm having a blast with DQ4 for the NES. This weekend I'm gonna go buy DQ8.

Fire_Emblem776
11-14-2005, 04:42 PM
That chick's rack is a little excessive.
*cough*lulu

Erdrick Holmes
11-16-2005, 03:36 AM
Jessica= teh yum. She has a spell called "sexy beam".

I heard the DQ games that got released into the states had alot of their content altered due to mature situations... yet for some reason we have the GTA games with their high ranking mature content. Well I suppose it'd make sense since the DQ games have a somewhat cartoonish appeal to them and they figure mostly younger players would want to play them

Also, did you know that the Japanese gov't banned the DQ games from being debuted on any day but sundays? Ever since DQ3 came out alot of people have been skipping work and school just to line up and buy the games.

DJZen
11-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Jessica has a stat called "Sex Appeal"

Empu-Dragon
11-16-2005, 11:46 PM
yes she does every charecter has one origional state wich i think is cool i know you all played the demo but i thought the pre boss they had in the demo verson was friken hard as hell man i was leval five in the demo and i still had trubble. oh god i cant wait till i get this game

Crossblades
11-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Dragon Quest/Warrior is an awesome series. I used to own DW I, II, and III for the GBC. III is my favorite out of all of them. In fact, as soon as I install the NES emulator, i'm gonna play DW IV:)

And yes, I love Akira's DQ drawings:D

Sephex
11-17-2005, 11:11 PM
The Dragon Quest series is a series I love, but I wish I had more time for. I have beaten the first one countless times, and plan on beating II and III (GBC versions--in fact, I am in the middle of II). I'm in the middle of IV (best NES one by FAR...can't wait to beat it!), too on my PSP emulator. V and VI I will only play if I can find an english translated ROM. I'm also kind of toward the end of VII (MARK MY WORDS I WILL BEAT IT SOMEDAY!!). I bought VIII yesterday, and I love it a lot. I just hope I don't let that one become a game I sloooooowly beat.

In case you think I'm just being lazy towards the DQ series, it's not that. It's just what I do sometimes with games.

EXAMPLE: One year I got Resident Evil 3 for Christmas. I didn't really touch it that much. In fact, I let edczxcvbnm borrow it a couple of times. About a year later, I played it one night untill three in the morning, then woke up the next day and beat it.

Moral of story: In time, I beat every game I own!

Crossblades
11-17-2005, 11:38 PM
In case you think I'm just being lazy towards the DQ series, it's not that. It's just what I do sometimes with games.

lol

just like my little brother:)

Erdrick Holmes
11-18-2005, 12:35 AM
I'm off to buy DQ8 tommorow morning.

DJZen
11-18-2005, 01:35 AM
i was leval five in the demo and i still had trubble.

Yeah, welcome to Dragon Quest.

Classic Axe
11-23-2005, 04:43 AM
Okay simply DragonQuest is my favorite RPG series. None of them can really beat FF4 or 6, but altogether they are the best. What I love about the game is how you play the hero. You don't really just go from dungeon to dungeon and watch the story in between. There's some of that, but exploration is the main thing. Always has been. Another good thing is that the npcs all seem like real people, and aren't just there to tell you where the next dungeon is. Lots of comedy in the game too. Not the kind that's shot out of a cannon but still makes you chuckle.

Plus the character designs rock. Like Toriyama or not, he keeps it fresh. The only bad one is DQ2's hero with the flight goggles.

The most popular DQ ever was 3, and for good reason. It had a huge map, all kinds of sidestories, and lots of innovations.
It had the first:
1. Ghostship, which you had to track down with a bone compass.
2. Ghost love story, which was pretty cool really.
3. Egyptian area
4. Ghost town. That seriously threw me for a spin when I first played it.
5. Surprise fake ending and extended world!!!
6. Create your own characters.
7. Flying animal. Yeah FF had an airship that was faster, but the Phoenix was really cool.
8. Talking horse
9. great box art. I really liked the box art in the US. Probably why I noticed this one.
10. Superclass. The sage rocks in this game, and has a nice design too.

DW4 was probably a better game, with all of the balance fixes and things, but 3 was just so huge. Honestly I would say they are about matched, and 3 is remade for the SFC and the GBC so you can find it easily.

srsly DQ should have a subforum or something.

Erdrick Holmes
11-23-2005, 04:57 AM
What annoyed me about DQ1-3 was the 'Thou Art etc etc etc'. I freaking hated that. That's why I'm trying to find a translated rom for DQ3 for SNES.

Classic Axe
11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Go now and tempt not the fates.

Thou art dead.

Wait that was cool. Better than "Hoo Boy" and "Can't you see I love soda pop?"

DJZen
11-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Whatever...