PDA

View Full Version : need a good mmo

dufflebag
10-05-2005, 09:52 PM
hi guys i'm back if any of you remeber me...but i have been busy with my dad having cancer and all... ok anyway anyone know a free RO server or phantasy star online free? i had a lvl80 char in ROSE online that account got hacked =/ and i here game got reset and chaged now well i have tryed most of the games on onrpg.com and am just looking for a good game untill sealonline comes to usa or rakion opens beta test again...well if anyone knows a good free online game plz let me know thx ^^

Captain Maxx Power
10-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Don't bother with either and come play Guild Wars instead, the thinking man's MMO.

Wiegrahf42
10-06-2005, 01:16 AM
here here, Guild wars for Dwayna's sake!

Jebus
10-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Guild Wars blows ass. Get WoW.

edit: Oh. Free.

Still Wow > *

Rostum
10-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Get FFXI and / or GW. You could even try out some other ones listed in www.mmorpg.com but what ever you do don't play WoW - it sucks, I played it for half a year on and off.

annslow41
10-06-2005, 04:19 AM
dont play FFXI
-- that game takes eons of time which = money
(ie. takes ~3 months for a new player to get their class to lvl 30, then you get other classes to choose from, but only after doing [in many cases] immensely long or expensive or difficult quests, where after doing them you get to actually LEVEL the class you recieve which may take more arround 1 month to get to lvl 30, oh, and btw, the cap is 75. then there's the money-making problem w/ all the chinese gil farmers... get the picture?)

dont play WoW
-- that game's over too quickly
-- if you DO play WoW, go for a PvP server, that'll bring some length to the game

now, guildwars, it's not a bad game unless you're looking for a very addictive MMO, because i played it and frankly (even tho i did not get to lvl 20 which is cap and where the PVP takes place) i didnt find that there was anything drawing me back to the game.

I played this one free MMO called Knight Online (i think was the name) which was merely okay. ya might wanna take a look, but again, nothing addictive about it and it was a little buggy

lol, sorry i cant give ya any positive feedback -- iim not really into the MMO scene atm
im still waiting for LOTR Online to come out -- looks sweet ^_^

Rostum
10-06-2005, 05:18 AM
lol, sorry i cant give ya any positive feedback -- iim not really into the MMO scene atm
im still waiting for LOTR Online to come out -- looks sweet ^_^

Chances are if you're not into MMO's, then you'll always find things to nitpick. In a lot of MMO's, it requires time and patience for repetitiveness - FFXI is a good example of this, but just because it is doesn't make it any less of a good game. It actually has a really deep and thought out plot and it'd only take me a week or so to get to level 30. It's really only the first time playing that you take a long time, because you're getting to know everything.

WoW, I agree, there's no depth or length to the game and it gets old extremely fast.

GW's, well I haven't play it yet, it looks reasonable and I've heard good things about it. I actually bought it just then, just waiting for my sister to bring it home for me.

I've played random MMO's like ROSE, Graal Online, RO, Runescape, etc. They're alright for a little bit of fun, but I never really thought they matched up to something I've bought. Even EQII was alright compared to some of these, and I really didn't like EQII.

Anyways, try out a few MMO's, hopefully most of them have trials (which FFXI is currently getting). Just see what one you like to play, it's different for everyone - lots of different types of MMO's out there to enjoy. =)

Edit:
Okay reading over what you said about FFXI: You have it all wrong. I guess you didn't play the game for too long, did you?

DJZen
10-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Whatever you do, don't play Everquest. If you do, demons will eat your babies. It's true.

Vaprice
10-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Whatever you do, don't play Everquest. If you do, demons will eat your babies. It's true.

xD

and oh yeah FFXI would probably be the best MMO. Takes some time but well worth it. Community is much better than WoW. Gameplay, plot, etc....I love FFXI

Lionx
10-07-2005, 01:33 AM
dont play FFXI
-- that game takes eons of time which = money
(ie. takes ~3 months for a new player to get their class to lvl 30, then you get other classes to choose from, but only after doing [in many cases] immensely long or expensive or difficult quests, where after doing them you get to actually LEVEL the class you recieve which may take more arround 1 month to get to lvl 30, oh, and btw, the cap is 75. then there's the money-making problem w/ all the chinese gil farmers... get the picture?)

Maybe you just suck no offense, it doesnt ever take that long to get to 30 even when i was in beta testing and didnt know what i was doing. Money making is not hard once you find a way, just make the money, its no walk in the park as real money should. >_>

I too recommend FFXI if you have the time to spare on it. Its a really rewarding game in the long term and if you have good social contacts you can easily have even more fun as FFXI is all about friends and social interaction as well as a deep plot once you get into it. I havent played WoW..but from what i heard its kinda more of a cheap thrill/easy rewards which doesnt make you finishing a quest anything special. Its good for casual i guess at least thats what a friend told me. GW i have no opinion on.

But usually free MMO = subpar MMO.

Markus. D
10-07-2005, 04:01 AM
Play Guild wars and join "the guild."

or ill stalk you like melandrus stalker stalks melandru. :\

Epiphany
10-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Guild wars is indeed a good game, that I USED to play (I'm on a laptop and I have a nice little inventory-crash-glitch that makes it very..aggrivating, to say the least). Thought it's not particularly free, since you have to buy it retail.

There aren't very many good TOTALLY free MMOs out there. I've played a ton of MMOs, and the games that seemed to be promising were in beta stages at such time. Those games are now out of beta and have gone P2P(Pay to play). I've still yet to find another good, totally free MMO.

dufflebag
10-07-2005, 10:43 PM
lol if i got a job or somthing ff11 would be the first mmo i would choose but the thing is i dont have any $ so i need a good free 1...thx for the tips but i dont have any cash lol and yeah i know most free 1s suck...i play a game called gunzonline its like a 3rd person shooter thats really fun and ROSE online was a blast till my account got hacked and my lvl3 clan kicked me from it for asking about hax xD anyway i guees i will wait for sealonline to come to use and rakoin to open beta again thx for the tips people^^

P.S. if anyone knows a free RO server then let me know plz lol
and i hear pso is good so if anyone knows a free server for that or anyother free games u think are good

Epiphany
10-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Ah, I totally forgot to tell you the RO server. I used FaithRO for ages, and it's still around. Pretty good server.

Oh, and. I adore Gunzonline. Probably the funnest free MMO everrr.

Dragonfire
10-08-2005, 01:01 AM
i used to play Runescape, which was fun 4 awhile... but got boring when you had nothing to do cause you can't explore 4/5 of the map or quests without paying. built a high lvl miner to make money and items. A powerful mage, a prayer beast and an archer. unfortunately prayer beast is the best of the 3 for f2p, caus the items you need are all availible in the f2p world. mages in f2p are limited to which spells you can use... and the f2p archer has much weaker armor and bows than p2p does. I did p2p for a few months but got bored even though i was able to buy everything i wanted with my miner.

neosephiroth
10-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Conquer Online, it is one of the funnest games I have ever played. Totally free, only it is a pain to dl on a slower conection. But it is on the november PC Gamer DVD ed. Highly recomended even if you are playing another MMO. offical website is at www.conqueronline.com

Momiji
10-08-2005, 04:15 AM
P.S. if anyone knows a free RO server then let me know plz lol
and i hear pso is good so if anyone knows a free server for that or anyother free games u think are good

I use this free server. www.theanimaro.com.
My name is Cecil there, I'm a Crusader, usually alone or with my girlfriend (Dejiko, a wizard.)

Madame Adequate
10-08-2005, 04:17 AM
WoW. It's worth the money, believe me. City of Heroes is also good. Anyways, there are some free betas floating around, but I've not been up on them lately.

Markus. D
10-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Maybey seeing guild wars job-classes and a preview of some of there skills would persuade you to pay a one time price.

http://www.guildwars.com/gameinfo/professions/default.html

DJZen
10-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Oh come on, that's all? All of those jobs exist in FFXI only with different names.

Elementalist = Black Mage
Mesmer = Bard
Monk = White Mage
Necromancer = Summoner.... plus Dark Knight?
Ranger = Ranger.... plus Beastmaster?
Warrior = Warrior

FFXI ALSO has...

Monk, which is a heavy duty damage dealing melee class with high Vitality
Red Mage, which casts black and white magic and has good melee skills
Thief, which has teh fast, and can steal
Paladin, which is an uber-tank and casts some white magic
Ninja, which is a tank that casts some black magic
Samurai, which does a butt ton of damage
Dragoon, which deals damage and has a pet wyvern that mimics their actions

And it's now been confirmed that the next expansion will include the Blue Mage, which uses monster skills. I've heard that it looks like a solo class.

FFXI FOR TEH WINNAR!!!!1

Hawkeye
10-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Screw MMOs and get Battlefield 2! A REAL mans game

dufflebag
10-09-2005, 10:19 PM
tsukasa: Maybey seeing guild wars job-classes and a preview of some of there skills would persuade you to pay a one time price.
its only a 1time fee??? wow maybe i could get that then thx alot i will check out the free RO server also

escobert
10-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Yeah GUild Wars is buy the game and never have to pay again for it. :D it's so wonderful

Rostum
10-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Oh come on, that's all? All of those jobs exist in FFXI only with different names.

Mesmer = Bard
Monk = White Mage
Warrior = Warrior

Although you can compare them in that sense, they play a lot different than anything in FFXI. So don't try it Torren. =P You'd be suprised how different each job is to themselves when they are allowed a second profession (anything works, it's just what play style you like). So you could say there are actually 36 professions in GW's.

fantasyjunkie
10-10-2005, 03:20 AM
Ive played mmos for 6 years and World of Warcraft is my favorite

dufflebag
10-11-2005, 08:35 PM
I use this free server. www.theanimaro.com.
My name is Cecil there, I'm a Crusader, usually alone or with my girlfriend (Dejiko, a wizard.)

hey thx i started this yester day...i am lvl32 now lol anyway name is kenna i am archer but i might make a new char i have 2 decide if i like this 1 first lol anyway cya in game sometime

Markus. D
10-12-2005, 07:36 AM

Mesmer = Bard
Monk = White Mage
Warrior = Warrior

FFXI ALSO has...

Monk, which is a heavy duty damage dealing melee class with high Vitality
Red Mage, which casts black and white magic and has good melee skills
Thief, which has teh fast, and can steal
Paladin, which is an uber-tank and casts some white magic
Ninja, which is a tank that casts some black magic
Samurai, which does a butt ton of damage
Dragoon, which deals damage and has a pet wyvern that mimics their actions

And it's now been confirmed that the next expansion will include the Blue Mage, which uses monster skills. I've heard that it looks like a solo class.

FFXI FOR TEH WINNAR!!!!1

guild wars primary classes have these basic feats, and some of which convey ff classes, and you can combine differant feats with your 2nd class feats, also... you can choose to put.
i listed a bunch of stuff before, but i was getting tired of typing everything up... and everything is bassically all differant elements of all the ff classes (but not the same)... so i deleted the chart.

PvP has probably goto be extremely fair, as it is based purely on skill (im starting to get addicted to it).

for example: yesturday i was pvping in the ascalon arena with a team of lvl 10ers and 1 lvl 6 ranger.

me and the other 2 lvl 10ers died, and the lvl 6 ranger kept on running around to terrain advantages, he ressurected me and i knocked the warrior chasing him down with gale, then throwing him a shard storm... so the ranger could get up to the hill top without interferance... he then began snipeing the necromancer who was performing rituals on the other lvl 10 people who were dead.
then 2 warriors (including the one mentioned earlier) came up and began attacking me with axe and sword skills... so i had to use frost blast to do abit of a runner on them, then i ressed one of my teammates .... and it goes on and on till we win.

Lionx
10-12-2005, 08:08 AM
To FFXI's merit, there are subjob choices for them too, its just because its a Party game where soloing is not as viable, certain cookie cutters are made for efficiency, however for different situations, things change. For instance a Dragoon subjob is considered worthless when exping, however when playing ballista, things change, and a THF/DRG with Sneak ATtack and Jump is insanely powerful due to that Jump can be used with range making it insanely powerful in PvP. I can elaborate more but partying @_@

Markus. D
10-12-2005, 09:39 AM
oooooh.... Guild Wars is story driven :)

there ffxi persuaders, beat that! (im just killing time, i actually have no problem with whatever mmo game you get).

www.gunzonline.com

Rostum
10-12-2005, 09:50 AM
To FFXI's merit, there are subjob choices for them too, its just because its a Party game where soloing is not as viable, certain cookie cutters are made for efficiency, however for different situations, things change. For instance a Dragoon subjob is considered worthless when exping, however when playing ballista, things change, and a THF/DRG with Sneak ATtack and Jump is insanely powerful due to that Jump can be used with range making it insanely powerful in PvP. I can elaborate more but partying @_@

Yeah but even so, Guild War's profession setup is still a hell of a lot different to FFXI's. And you still need to get some people to help you do things unless you want to rely on henchmen (haven't really played with them much, just people from this guild).

Lionx
10-12-2005, 10:30 AM
I wasnt saying FFXI is better than GW, i am just saying that the subjob system is similar yet at the same time different because of the focus on the games. FFXI focuses exclusively on group play when GW isnt all about group play(i am pretty sure its not as entensive if it is).

As for the story, currently GW's story cannot possibly beat FFXI's since XI is more established. :P Granted some parts of FFXI arent extremely detailed as it should, but still way more superior currently.

Lindy
10-12-2005, 04:37 PM
FFXI requires vast quantities of time to find a party to do anything, and then if you get a bad party you end up losing more EXP than you gain, hooray at 10% loss when you die, AND you can level down. Without a party, it's endless, ineffective solo-grind on identical monsters, because they couldn't even be bothered to palette swap most enemies.

Enjoy having a system with huge customisation with main and sub jobs, but yet you're only accepted with fixed and specific class combos, anything other than that being sidelined because you're "not effective".

Also enjoy looking identical to everyone else, INCLUDING the NPCs, no matter what level you are.

And boy, isn't it fun to have to spend half an hour travelling anywhere only to be attacked and killed on the way!

Oh yeah, but it gets FUN once you get to level 60, but what's the point of playing a game that has nothing enjoyable to it JUST to get to level 60 when it's fun, when you could just play something else that you'd enjoy all the way through?

Oh, and GW is entirely group play, soloing is impossible.

Fireblade13
10-12-2005, 04:52 PM
i WANT one with a $0 monthly fee and I heard that would be guild wars

Optium
10-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Ultima Online was the one and only MMORPG.

I think it was the first too, the free server I played on was amazing,
awesome people, played for like 5 years. Still have a bunch of good friends
who I met there, in fact there were a few people who got married after
meeting in the game. Sort of...wierd....ehhhh. Yeah.

.opt

Lionx
10-12-2005, 11:11 PM
FFXI requires vast quantities of time to find a party to do anything, and then if you get a bad party you end up losing more EXP than you gain, hooray at 10% loss when you die, AND you can level down. Without a party, it's endless, ineffective solo-grind on identical monsters, because they couldn't even be bothered to palette swap most enemies.

Yes i do agree, there is a timesink, which however does attract some hardcore or more intensive players, its the only MMO that has kept me interested because its that much harder to do things which makes it more fulfilling when you do finish it with your friends. Its a plus or minus.

I like the level down, you cant just kill yourself to reach your homepoint, stupidity is harshly punished too so take that idiots. Bad players these days wont get you killed, just look for another group or make your own or do something else. Its your fault if you lose more exp than you gain if you choose to stay longer than is needed and after you tried helping the situation the best you can.

As for ineffective soloness, thats exactly what i liked about it, i hated RO and some other MMOs that let you solo most of the way through, THATS BORING. I like the way parties are. And pay attention to the monsters, alot of them have good design, and have varying sizes. A huge reason why they dont upgrade alot of them is because there are different DAT files for every monster, adding more will only increase its already huge 6-7GB full of data, inefficient considering the PS2 limitations and PS2's crappy draw rate. And you havent seen new monsters have you..? The ORIGINAL FFXI areas i can understand, but most zilart and chains of promathia areas are astounding. The reason why they dont update the old FFXI's design like the expansions is...why fix something old when you can push for something new..?

As for armor, there has been alot more armor sets lately that are very beautiful in design, the reason why lower levels look the same is because SE stated they want newbs to be seperate from the higher leveled players. If anything they sorta already went against that with new Eisen, Seers, and Baron/Trader's set of gears which look great.

Enjoy having a system with huge customisation with main and sub jobs, but yet you're only accepted with fixed and specific class combos, anything other than that being sidelined because you're "not effective".

Somewhat untrue, different subs for different purposes. It is a little limited, but i feel it is very balanced either way.

In any case, thats all i have to say to Lindy since its well..Lindy and he/she is like that :P Its a good laugh to see how serious the opinion somehow looks like truth. I never played GW, but it has its ups and downs too, i wonder how the expansions will be like and will it be mandatory or not to enjoy the game fully. That would be interesting to see.

Rostum
10-13-2005, 01:31 AM
I wasnt saying FFXI is better than GW, i am just saying that the subjob system is similar yet at the same time different because of the focus on the games. FFXI focuses exclusively on group play when GW isnt all about group play(i am pretty sure its not as entensive if it is).

As for the story, currently GW's story cannot possibly beat FFXI's since XI is more established. :P Granted some parts of FFXI arent extremely detailed as it should, but still way more superior currently.

Once again, comparing a game to another game you've never played (like you did with WoW). =P Everything you've said (apart from the story, I understand how deep FFXI's is and I haven't played too deeply into GW's story), is pretty much wrong.

Go play Guild Wars and then come back to this thread.

Lindy
10-13-2005, 11:53 AM
*all that stuff you said*
I'm going on what I found from when I last played it, maybe stuff has changed, maybe it hasn't, but from all the people I've spoken to about it, it really holds true.

You sit there for hours to find a party, only to head out and either die, have it break up, or spend yet more hours getting 1/10th of a level.

I'd rather have a game I can hop into, play for a little while, and then hop out of again, and I like the option to solo if I want to play for just a little while. A hardcore game is fine, but when it's only out there to attract hardcore players, then what about anyone else who wants to play it? I liked the idea, I liked the concepts, but the execution is awful.

Of course, RO is the biggest grindfest out there, but at least you could play and enjoy it for a little while because there was no real eventual goal, though I doubt I could ever go back to it now. It's very...dated.

Rostum
10-13-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm going on what I found from when I last played it, maybe stuff has changed, maybe it hasn't, but from all the people I've spoken to about it, it really holds true.

You sit there for hours to find a party, only to head out and either die, have it break up, or spend yet more hours getting 1/10th of a level.

I'd rather have a game I can hop into, play for a little while, and then hop out of again, and I like the option to solo if I want to play for just a little while. A hardcore game is fine, but when it's only out there to attract hardcore players, then what about anyone else who wants to play it? I liked the idea, I liked the concepts, but the execution is awful.

Of course, RO is the biggest grindfest out there, but at least you could play and enjoy it for a little while because there was no real eventual goal, though I doubt I could ever go back to it now. It's very...dated.

At higher levels, you might seek for just as long, but the parties are a lot better and you barely die. Ever. If you're just refering to Valkurm, well it's where new people start out, so that's why a lot of people die.

It is a hardcore game, so what? Why try to make it something it's not? It's aimed for hardcore MMO'ers, and it still has other fun in there that's not grinding (a lot of other stuff might I add). The game has indeed change a lot since it was released in America, they have added new ways to solo and new things to do.

I just don't understand how you'd expect people to want to play an MMORPG that is known to be hardcore, but want it to be less hardcore so they can play it? Why not just offer other games for them? It wasn't intended to be for a casual player and it's been out long enough to show this.

Sure there's a grind in the game, but it still attracts a lot of players including myself. Just because you're not a hardcore player, doesn't mean the game is flawed in any way.

crashNUMBERS
10-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Didn't you already make this thread about 4 months ago or so??

Markus. D
10-14-2005, 07:29 AM
its always awesome when you put: GWing.

in your msn personal status.

fantasyjunkie
10-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Ultima Online was the one and only MMORPG.

I think it was the first too, the free server I played on was amazing,
awesome people, played for like 5 years. Still have a bunch of good friends
who I met there, in fact there were a few people who got married after
meeting in the game. Sort of...weird....ehhhh. Yeah.

.opt
UO was totally awesome before Electronic Arts changed the entire game in one patch. grrrrrrrrrr. I played it for 3 years.

Markus. D
10-14-2005, 01:04 PM
the thing i find about most online multiplayer games is that you dont need skill to play... just blatent use of the same attack the the enemie dies (aka. RO, MS, CO etc).

on Guild Wars you need to think and work together with your team, also... armour doesnt ultraly benifit you in this... so theres nearly no being hit for 1 damage and never dieing.

Lionx
10-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Lol i agree with you there on the skills mashing for some MMOs.. >< RO servers(some) give you no delay for moves so my friend who plays a Monk there just MASHES LITERALLY Extremity Fists and Grapes..and you see numbers FLYING everywhere...@_@;

Lindy
10-14-2005, 07:26 PM
At higher levels, you might seek for just as long, but the parties are a lot better and you barely die. Ever. If you're just refering to Valkurm, well it's where new people start out, so that's why a lot of people die.

It is a hardcore game, so what? Why try to make it something it's not? It's aimed for hardcore MMO'ers, and it still has other fun in there that's not grinding (a lot of other stuff might I add). The game has indeed change a lot since it was released in America, they have added new ways to solo and new things to do.

I just don't understand how you'd expect people to want to play an MMORPG that is known to be hardcore, but want it to be less hardcore so they can play it? Why not just offer other games for them? It wasn't intended to be for a casual player and it's been out long enough to show this.

Sure there's a grind in the game, but it still attracts a lot of players including myself. Just because you're not a hardcore player, doesn't mean the game is flawed in any way.
Actually, I am a pretty hardcore player, but I believe that games should be able to appeal to everyone, both hardcore and casual. I don't remember seeing ANYWHERE the words "For hardcore players only" on FFXI, so really, show me some official sources that state that and I'll roll with it.

The alternatives to grind that I've seen are a limited and confusing PvP system and quests that are entirely divorced from the monster killing concept, which usually involve running half-way across the world and then back again, great fun. Don't get me started on the broken crafting system, because I really don't get how that many tools can break at once with nothing to show from it.

The game IS horribly flawed in the way it's built, there are vast quantities I can list, here's a few :

In order to party you have to fulfil a specific role, there's no freedom at all in that, the last I heard of it ONLY Black Mages can deal damage, and if anyone else tries then they usually never find any more parties after that, as well as the fact that you have to be in a party to go pretty much anywhere.

I had a friend who was playing with some other people and had to leave to go eat dinner, he came back, they were miles ahead and he couldn't get back to them, a game where you have to sit down and actually PLAN when you play and who you play with just doesn't make any sense.

How about that monster tag system, eh? You attack a monster, nobody else can attack it, sounds good, eh? Not really, considering monsters never stop chasing you and have the mystical ability to hit you from miles away, once you're after something you're stuck with it. Oh but sure, you can call for help! Except when you call for help, nobody gets any EXP or items from the monster, good one.

The Primary/Secondary system sounds great, doesn't it? Except, with fixed stats your entire being relies on gear, and most of that gear is highly contentious, so enjoy joining that queue to kill the slime monster (I can't remember if it was a slime, something like that) that drops the ACC item you need for your Dark Knight, because you're utterly screwed without it!

The fact that there is no "easy" or even "not hard" in FFXI is somewhat disgusting, that the game gives you no break at all and is just one big "%^&* you" from beginning to end.

I'd say that was a pretty big flaw.

Sure, gets fun at 60, but what's the point of going to 60 if you're not having fun along the way.

But yeah, the story is pretty good, though I really wouldn't play it for that alone.

Sure, you enjoy it with friends, but then watching paint dry is enjoyable with friends, but do you see everyone rushing out to buy tins of paint and brushes?

And besides, part of really enjoying something is admitting it has it's flaws, yet you seem to think that the sun shines out of the back of FFXI. I've played a lot of MMO games, and those that I've enjoyed, I know are full of flaws, but the fun balances out with those. If you can't admit a game you're playing is flawed, then you're really trying too hard to fool yourself into something.

Hugomand
10-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Can someone give me a link to ROSE's offical home page??? Please :D

Lionx
10-14-2005, 07:59 PM
The alternatives to grind that I've seen are a limited and confusing PvP system and quests that are entirely divorced from the monster killing concept, which usually involve running half-way across the world and then back again, great fun. Don't get me started on the broken crafting system, because I really don't get how that many tools can break at once with nothing to show from it.

I dont believe so, the PvP system is very well made in terms of balance in general, although uncapped and 30 caps some subjobs and gear makes things quite crazy xD, i dont find it very confusing at all, just most people dont put in the effort to try it out or read. I feel its pretty well done. Not the best mind you, but with introduction of exp, gil, and rankings, i find it more fun to participate. My WAR was 40, now its almost lvling up to 41 thanks to this PvP. My WHM lost 2K exp getting attacked by this Pirate NM on the ship, now its sorta made it up and past that with Ballista. Its fun too if you dont like partying and grinding(which i admit CAN become that way if you party hardcore).

Quests do have NM killing and the sort too, although if you want to build fame you are probably better off not doing those since most do require a party to beat for NM fights. Alternatives to the grind now are NPC partner playing, you can summon an NPC for a limited ammount of time(therefore keeping with the partying system) and newly introduced are rings that can be used once a week to enhance exp(so a 200exp mob will be conisdered 250 in what i noticed in my last party when the item is used). It also makes soloing very much easier, if anything one person said that if it didnt limit you to one use per week, they(being 74) could probably solo high enough to hit 75. Granted partying is always better as the game revolves around that, but soloing isnt as unviable as it is once was you hit a certain level with the right things(never beats pt though).

The crafting system i find it to be fine, high end items are supposed to be rare and hard to get therefore it keeps in line with that. And items have to disappear somewhere, guild points and failures(as much as we hate them) help with that so there is no recycling of certain items.(and therefore a price decrease of them due to too much supply)

In order to party you have to fulfil a specific role, there's no freedom at all in that, the last I heard of it ONLY Black Mages can deal damage, and if anyone else tries then they usually never find any more parties after that, as well as the fact that you have to be in a party to go pretty much anywhere.

I actually find the party to be a good thing, i think its more of the asian mentality that its good to be a group and surpass things. The thing i hated when playing RO is that soloing IS viable in every single way for the most part, i didnt like that, and in WoW i didnt like that you can solo through most of the game.

As far as i know, its not ONLY BLMs that can deal damage, RDMs can do fine, and you vastly underestimate SMN. WHM vs Undead is very deadly as well especially in a skillchain with decent Divine Skill.

I had a friend who was playing with some other people and had to leave to go eat dinner, he came back, they were miles ahead and he couldn't get back to them, a game where you have to sit down and actually PLAN when you play and who you play with just doesn't make any sense.

Dont you plan when you need to get together with friends to do things too? Its the same with a party, there needs to be some commitment. Its how the game is when you play with other people, you dont go AFK for 1 hour leaving them stranded to do whatever. I find it to be a strength and weakness though for this point. As i agree a little, yet disagree a little at the same time.

How about that monster tag system, eh? You attack a monster, nobody else can attack it, sounds good, eh? Not really, considering monsters never stop chasing you and have the mystical ability to hit you from miles away, once you're after something you're stuck with it. Oh but sure, you can call for help! Except when you call for help, nobody gets any EXP or items from the monster, good one.

Besides the running miles away thing and they still hit you(its not THAT huge though), yes, it would be good to level off of something, Call for Help, then let somelvl 75 person kill it in one blow AND get items and exp. Right..whats your solution to that then?

The Primary/Secondary system sounds great, doesn't it? Except, with fixed stats your entire being relies on gear, and most of that gear is highly contentious, so enjoy joining that queue to kill the slime monster (I can't remember if it was a slime, something like that) that drops the ACC item you need for your Dark Knight, because you're utterly screwed without it!

Untrue, it basicaly depends on the job, a MNK job that doesnt rely much besides punching the monster most of the time, like a DRK, does rely on gear more. However a job like a PLD or a NIN would rely on their decisions and skill they have in reacting to whats happening more. Like a WHM too at times, as long as your gear is not horrible(like lvl 50 with lvl 10 gear..no one in any game is gonna like that) the decisions you make matter more than a MNK. It should also make it easier to actually get the gear you need since outside of race, there is nominal differences(racial differences are only extreme in terms of HP and MP anyway).

Last i know, DRKs dont get a - Accuracy Trait, that is a misconception of that DRK's high delay in attack Accuracy matters a little more, but they arent totally screwed without it. With introduction of Sushi you can forgo Acc gear(some parts anyway). Sniper Rings arent a need, its a luxury item, people were just in a fad for it before. Now there are good cheaper alternatives including the Shakree's ring(from the same slime, but because its rare/ex now and the previous ring is in a BCNM now, no one is camping that NM anymore besides for those who want that rare/ex ring), and Verener's Ring which is pretty cheap and is easy to quest once you beat Promyvion.

I still believe however that you hate it so much that you are refusing to find any positives, and is taking it to the opposite extremes. However the negatives you stated arent as negative as they are to me and i find FFXI to be absolutely fine. There is fun before you reach 60, otherwise do you think so many people still play today? Just because it isnt fun for you doesnt mean that its not fun for some of us, like WoW, i dont find it fun to solo but some do, so go ahead(just talking about that since FFXI and WoW's extremes seems to be this).

No game HAS to necessarily cater to everyone, if they want it to be more hardcore than you wish it then very well, dont play it, other people still can enjoy it without hearing about how much it sucks from you especially when someone else thinks those things are not as bad as they seem. FFXI is not perfect, i too find it slow at times and blah, however that doesnt mean that taking a few days off, i dont come back playing it with a new interest and vigor and find it to be a good game. WoW doesnt cater to me and GW probably wont as much as FFXI, but does that mean they suck ass? Hell no..they probably dont, they just dont appeal to me the same way.

EDIT: About ROSE..i think last i saw it, it was on the official RO site with a link to it. Tell me about how it is sometime hehe ^^;

Lindy
10-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Doesn't sound as bad as it was when you put it like that, there, see, simply solved.

I'm still not going to play it because I don't really like it, and it's good that you do, though it seems to be a game that really only caters to specific people and you either love it or hate it (most of the people I know on WoW are those that left FFXI because it became too much of a chore).

And FFXI and WoW are most certainly not polar extremes.

You can't solo everything in WoW, you can't solo instances, you can't solo elites, a lot of quests are too hard to solo when they're yellow level and only until you level heavily over so they're green, are a class well-suited to solo play or are insanely careful can you solo every non-elite, non-instance quest, and even then once you're reaching 50 (or even over 40), parties are required. That's the thing, just because you CAN solo, doesn't mean partying isn't viable, you actually get an exp bonus for being in a party, your problem with WoW being that you can solo the game is ignoring the fact that many and most people party their way through the whole thing (like myself).

The difference lies in that you can work well with a party of two or three, you don't need a full compliment of everything in a party to succeed.

My friend and I work wonderfully well with myself as a Rogue and him as a Priest, no tank class in there, just damage and healing, but it works out great.

Add in the high end instances (especially Molten Core's 40-man instance raid), and you have some very hardcore gaming.

And in response to planning time to play, I don't specifically set aside time to play, usually when I want to the friend I play with all the time is on too, and when we get on we just do what we feel like. There's no specific need to plan to do this, go here, kill that, we just play it how we feel. Freedom like that is what I enjoy, I can finish a few quests in one area, hop on my mount, ride to another, pick up an instance party and harvest some ereet itamz.

Y'know, actually, after you mentioned the asian comment about FFXI, it suddenly makes a lot more sense.

It's not a hardcore game, it's an asian game XD

EDIT : ROSE is alright, but it has no eventual goal other than levelling enough to move onto the next level to level up more. Carts are fun though, and so are Castle Gears, but you need an Artisan friend to get the good stuff, and it takes FOREVER to get up to the level to use them anyway.

Lionx
10-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Well see thats the thing too, in RO you dont have to solo either, but alot of people do prefer to solo at least on every server i played in. Of course the ridgidness of the party system i heard is not as defined as it is in FFXI since my friend says that his tank can lose hate sometimes and it wont be THAT huge a problem as it can be in FFXI where your mage starts nuking like a machine gun and getting himself killed in 3-4 hits. I only said that extreme because of what i know about it(prove me wrong :P).

However i know instances and other things like that require partying. FFXI doesnt need a full 6 man party too, its just most people prefer to kill monsters way above their level that is better if you have 6. A party of 3 can probably kill some Toughs or low tier Very Toughs for decent exp as well especially with the new NPCs these days. Just most prefer the 6 man party which i have to say its more of a community thing...and yes that sucks xD

I find ballista to be kinda casual too at times. I dunno, maybe its because i can participate in 30-60 cap ballista. But thats me O_o; I like farming a few here and there while crafting casually too. I enjoy helping other people even more though although some help requires planning. I dont like to plan at times too, but i do prefer that some of the tougher things required to plan and excel at. Mind numbing at times yes, but not that horrible if you got brains to plan it out i feel.

My friend and I work wonderfully well with myself as a Rogue and him as a Priest, no tank class in there, just damage and healing, but it works out great.

I guess we are on different extremes here or sides if extremes is too much. I like the ridgidness, like you are good at tanking, omecle will tank for me because he is best at holding hate, therefore my blm friend can do more excellent damage and not worry as much about hate, but because omecle as a PLD does take a few more hits a WHM such as me would be best to take the duty of healing him, and add in the other classes which excel at different areas, feels like a real good team...not just any class thrown together works well. I mean obviously for different things this does not apply(the class differences), but strictly exp situations here. I like that..but obviously i know it does create some unhappiness when your friend chooses a class that a party cannot have 2 of(like 2 WHMs outside of valkurm..weak). But know what i mean..? I felt so..blah as Acrolyite in RO because you can use potions so easily to make me feel..weak D: outside of their PvP known as "Guild Wars".

And on that note, how is RO compared to ROSE..? Is ROSE just an updated RO game..?

and yes AZN R L33T!!!1111one!..*trips* x_x

Mookies
10-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Can someone give me a link to ROSE's offical home page??? Please :D

Google "Rose online" - first link.

Last time I heard, Rose, closed its public beta and moved into private beta or something like that, you needed to sign up for a site to access it.
But recently you could play the Japanese Rose, free...for now.
ROSE is going P2P.

It kind of lost me with the screwed up economy and lvl grind.

And on that note, how is RO compared to ROSE..? Is ROSE just an updated RO game..?

Rose is basically like RO but 3D, yes it is very similar - classes,skills, etc.

Rostum
10-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Actually, I am a pretty hardcore player, but I believe that games should be able to appeal to everyone, both hardcore and casual. I don't remember seeing ANYWHERE the words "For hardcore players only" on FFXI, so really, show me some official sources that state that and I'll roll with it.

If you can't see that it's more of a hardcore game, then there's something wrong with you. No game is going to officialy state it's for hardcore gamers only. O.o;

I'm still not going to play it because I don't really like it, and it's good that you do, though it seems to be a game that really only caters to specific people and you either love it or hate it (most of the people I know on WoW are those that left FFXI because it became too much of a chore).

Actually, a load of people left WoW to come back to FFXI (including myself). But in either case I could really say the same thing about WoW - that it only caters to specific people, and I agree FFXI caters to specific people too.

The difference lies in that you can work well with a party of two or three, you don't need a full compliment of everything in a party to succeed.

Actually, you don't really need a full party of 6, 12 or 18 to accomplish everything in FFXI. You can easily do coffer hunts with around 3-4 people.

And in response to planning time to play, I don't specifically set aside time to play, usually when I want to the friend I play with all the time is on too, and when we get on we just do what we feel like. There's no specific need to plan to do this, go here, kill that, we just play it how we feel. Freedom like that is what I enjoy, I can finish a few quests in one area, hop on my mount, ride to another, pick up an instance party and harvest some ereet itamz.

Okay so you like to do that, fair enough. I like to do different things in FFXI but they take more time. So how does it make it more flawed? Just because you don't like the differences? I find doing quest after quest, instance after instance, in WoW, to be pretty damn boring and repetitive. I do agree leveling in FFXI can get pretty boring, but there are a lot of missions to do (and yes they get better after the 11th one, and I was almost certain WoW has no story), the PvP is improving all the time, there are a lot of higher-end quests that are actually fun and rewarding, and with the next expansion coming out they are introducing some new job classes and an added story line (so that makes the original, nation, RoZ, CoP and new expanion stories that are rather interesting).

In conclusion, just because a game doesn't suite you, doesn't make it flawed. There's a lot more to FFXI that anything you've stated - and a lot of things are completely different to what you've said. Although I can still enjoy WoW, I like FFXI much more, and... guild wars is just a side game because of the no monthly fee's. Don't play it too much, but I still like to.

It's very obvious that you don't like the game (which is fine), and taking every negetive point and making it more extreme than it actually is. In either case Lionx pretty much sums up the rest, I think.

Oh and on a last note, I really disliked ROSE for some reason. The controls were really bad, and nothing was that fun. I didn't play for too long though.

Lindy
10-15-2005, 02:00 AM
See, you still can't accept it's flawed, even in a small way.

How sad.

And WoW has not only ten years of Warcraft Story, but tons of lore and backstory as well as story that rolls out through quests and quest chains, so yeah, good one there.

Rostum
10-15-2005, 02:08 AM
So someone who hasn't played Warcraft can't pick up the story then? Gee ain't that great.

I do accept flaws, I even stated that level grinding was boring, and that you do have to wait for parties (which I don't mind). I was just saying that you don't like FFXI so you find it's flaws and make them extreme.

Lionx
10-15-2005, 02:10 AM
What is a flaw to some, is a strength to others. Thats all i have to say on that issue.

And WoW has not only ten years of Warcraft Story, but tons of lore and backstory as well as story that rolls out through quests and quest chains, so yeah, good one there.

I totally disagree, WoW has bad story and lore, because most of it is part of an already existing world from its previous games. Its nothing original or anything like that, FFXI however is totally original, they had nothing to fall back on and call that lore. If anything the lore of WoW is other Warcraft games, not WoW itself. So Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 had good lore, WoW itself had none IMO.

As for the Quest chains, that is the same as Missions in FFXI, the Quests(most) put more backstory into how people are in those nations.

Lindy
10-15-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't see how having a solid backstory for a game is bad, and you most certainly don't need to play the previous Warcraft games to understand it, heck, I haven't. It isn't original? I'd rather have a solidly built story on something that's already been and is already well known. The world is set out, and people can explore the places they've seen and known in the Warcraft games, but you don't HAVE to have played those to enjoy the world. Heck, I've learned the entire Warcraft story, from the first up until WC3:FT story purely from playing missions and reading the books spread around the world.

See, just because a game doesn't have story missions doesn't mean it doesn't have story.

Every instance has a background, has a reason, and has missions within it that follow a story.

Every race has a background, has a purpose and reason.

Just because it doesn't have missions that say "lol dis is storee" doesn't mean there isn't any.

Oh and lets look at your generally "great" argument Omecle, which is "You don't like FFXI so you think it's very flawed", well the same thing applies to you, you like the game so you don't think it's very flawed, if anything you're more biased than I am because you're playing it and I'm not. You say the game doesn't "suit" me so I don't like it, well the reason it doesn't "suit" me is BECAUSE it's flawed.

A flaw is a flaw, it doesn't magically become a strength just because you think it is.

But heck, at least it has one slogan that'll work.

FFXI; at least it's not Everquest.

Now I really can't be bothered to argue with you any more because you I feel like I'm trying to break through a brick wall.

bipper
10-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Well, if it is not a mud, chances are it sucks. I have yet to see any graphical MMO encase the ammount of fun as any MUD I have played in the past. I have made a couple muds, and anyone can, its easy! Granted they are text based, but easily more addicting and fun than thier graphical counter parts.

Bipper

Craig
10-15-2005, 06:48 PM
In conclusion, just because a game doesn't suite you, doesn't make it flawed.

I think you'll find that everything is flawed in some way, no matter how hard you try to deny it, nothing is perfect.

And obviously if a certain person doesn't like a game it has flaws, because if it had no flaws everyone in the world would adore it.

Lionx
10-15-2005, 10:17 PM
From what i am seeing, Lindy, you are the brick wall. We have different viewpoints yes, but for me at least i dont say WoW sucks with no redemption at all, at least FFXI is not Everquest type of talk. Most of the people that left FFXI has that kind of attitude from where i see on other forums, and somewhat glad. Just because you dont like it and find "flaws"(which there very well be to you), doesnt mean we find the same "flaws" and see them the same way. Maybe you can see that too. Just because you dont like blue and find it a flaw, doesnt mean that i cant like blue and find it something great.

Everything is flawed in some way if you wanna put it that way(and it might be true), however is the "flaw" enough to make you stop playing the game and make it a "bad" game? Thats up to the individual, and you cannot put that as truth. EQ is good, but flawed. FFXI is good but flawed, WoW is good but flawed, GW is good but flawed. But does that mean these are bad games now..? Not necessarily depending on the person.

The Warcraft story to ME is very weak because they used the previous games as a crutch IMO. A game that starts their story without any previous games seem to generate a much more...creativeness and originality so to speak. I mean they can easily make FFXI with a story from a previous FF game and expanded upon it, but the fact that they did not and tried something totally different to me seems much more admirable and have more hard work.

Every instance has a background, has a reason, and has missions within it that follow a story.

Every race has a background, has a purpose and reason.

This is the same in FFXI, every race does have a long history if you read it and do quests, and everything has a purpose and reason too, PvP has a backstory, Dynamis(some of that instance 64 man raid), and other stuff also has a backstory and history that flows within the world too. The Vanadiel Tribute(the newspaper) is also a great thing to read to learn more about Vanadiel.

Oh and lets look at your generally "great" argument Omecle, which is "You don't like FFXI so you think it's very flawed", well the same thing applies to you, you like the game so you don't think it's very flawed, if anything you're more biased than I am because you're playing it and I'm not. You say the game doesn't "suit" me so I don't like it, well the reason it doesn't "suit" me is BECAUSE it's flawed.

On that same note, if you turn it around, you are MORE biased than any of us because you ARENT playing the game. Because you arent playing the game, you obviously feel that there is more flaws than there isnt unlike us and will obviously focus on that because you arent playing. You say the game is flawed because it doesnt suit you, yet at the same time you dont like it therefore its flawed, but however does that apply to me? To the guy around the block? Anything considering what you said can be a flaw if you dont like it, and we dont have to like the same things. And frankly that would be scary if we did.

I do not believe Omecle EVER stated that FFXI has NO flaws. He stated a few if someone went back and read his posts. However are those flaws as bad as what Lindy has stated? I do not feel so, and it is greatly exxagerrated(or maybe its just the sarcastic way that he posts that has that "its the truth" connotation through it), and we stated our reasons why we still like that game.

Anyway..*tries to chip the wall*

Rostum
10-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Well, if it is not a mud, chances are it sucks. I have yet to see any graphical MMO encase the ammount of fun as any MUD I have played in the past. I have made a couple muds, and anyone can, its easy! Granted they are text based, but easily more addicting and fun than thier graphical counter parts.

I have never played a text based MMO, I remember having fun with some old Zork games though. I may have to try one out sometime. ^^;

I think you'll find that everything is flawed in some way, no matter how hard you try to deny it, nothing is perfect.

And obviously if a certain person doesn't like a game it has flaws, because if it had no flaws everyone in the world would adore it.

I do understand this. I never said it didn't have any flaws - I'm just trying to state that Lindy is taking the flaws it has and making them extreme as to make it seem un-playable.

I do not believe Omecle EVER stated that FFXI has NO flaws. He stated a few if someone went back and read his posts. However are those flaws as bad as what Lindy has stated? I do not feel so, and it is greatly exxagerrated(or maybe its just the sarcastic way that he posts that has that "its the truth" connotation through it), and we stated our reasons why we still like that game.

Exactly, when did I ever say that FFXI was the perfect game ever? I never did. I do accept it has some flaws and I accept them on a non-biased motion.

I can honestly say that FFXI and WoW have their flaws, after playing both for awhile now, and that I still like FFXI and don't think it's flaws are that much of a big deal. So therefor of course my statements are going to be biased, just like yours are.

WoW can still be enjoyed, for me, it's just at the moment I really like FFXI a lot more. So what are you going to do? Continue to convince me that WoW is a better option? That's your whole point with this topic, right?

All in all, you seem like you're just trying to chip away at a few brick walls, and I don't understand this. You've been arguing with our opinions and now you've given up because we don't 'see the true light'? You can believe WoW is a better game, I can believe FFXI is a better game. I have my reasons to think so and I have my reasons to void what you think is flawed in the game - it doesn't have to be a flaw for me. But in saying that I still think what you've said about FFXI has been over exagerated to make it look worse than what it actualy is.

Lionx
10-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Oh yeah about the party dying and losing exp more than you started..then your group must suck(or have bad luck). FFXI is more punishing to stupidity than most MMOs but even then its not that hard to get a working party, just plan ahead.