PDA

View Full Version : Music Today.

Chris
10-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Teen pop icons like Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera had successful transitions into adulthood, while Jessica Simpson turned reality TV star and Mandy Moore turned genuine actress (for pity's sake, we will ignore Britney Spears' horrifying descent into white trash abyss). xD

I genuinely hate most of the "Popular" culture that's goin' on today!

You?

Pure Strife
10-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Dunno... the Ga Gas are a pretty good band. Go listen to Replica or Sex.

Rye
10-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Most of the popular music these days is crap. There have been some good new rock groups lately though. :)

crazybayman
10-06-2005, 08:01 PM
I pretty much dislike everything that's played on Casey's Top 40, and I completely detest boybands and pop princesses.

nik0tine
10-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Pop culture is not genuine.

Traitorfish
10-06-2005, 08:59 PM
I hate pop culture. Pop culture simply takes whats becoming popular, eats, barfs it up again in a horrible, distorted form, then lets it die. It happened to Hip-Hop, a once respectable(ish) form of music, and to R&B (but that sucked anyway). It's even doing it to metal. Damn it, the pop-beast devours all!
Also, pop-culture encourages people to aim for unrealistic goals of stardom, which discourages them doing any real work.

Yamaneko
10-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Find the music that's good and you like. Don't ever choose music based on the Billboard Top 200 or whatever. Many people that listen to music listen to it because it's popular and the cool thing to do, but little do they realize that they are actually listening to garbage.

And like it or not, I can pretty much objectively tell you that the music I listen to is better than a lot of the music that's popular today.

jrgen
10-06-2005, 09:10 PM
And like it or not, I can pretty much objectively tell you that the music I listen to is better than a lot of the music that's popular today.
No.

Optium
10-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Yam that's a pretty pretentious comment.

That doens't mean, however, that I don't agree with you wholeheartedly,
because you are into awesome music.

I think the same way though usually, but I don't necessarily say that it's
objective. The music I like is better than the music most other people like,
and if you disagree with that you're wrong.

:)

.opt

KoShiatar
10-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Not everything that's pop culture is utter crap...but most of it is. That happens because the masses don't have refined taste and will buy whatever is given them, I suppose.

Flamethrower
10-06-2005, 10:00 PM
People who will only listen to music if it's popular are annoying, but so are people who hate anything that is popular.

Is it that hard to believe that there is both good mainstream <i>and</i> underground stuff?

Zeldy
10-06-2005, 10:02 PM
However much i despise this music, Other people do like it. Some pop singers are actually really good but just not my thing

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-06-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm not one for pop music or pop culture in general, it more often than not reeks of mental degredation at its best (or worst, whichever you prefer).

Of course, I listen to classical music, which many people like to less-than-affectionately dub "old people music".

But the joke's on them. I will still have hearing when I'm old.

Laugh at face of Danger
10-06-2005, 11:02 PM
meh, everything is crap at the moment, pop and rap are taking a head first dive into showbiz's dark era and rock has turned pop punk and everything seems too soft nowadays.

They all have writers' block...oh wait they employ people to write these lyrics

DMKA
10-07-2005, 12:39 AM
I love it. All of it.

ZeZipster
10-07-2005, 02:08 AM
Hi,

My name is John. I listen to Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance and just about every other poppy, studio molested, untalented punk band signed by Fueled By Ramen. I would appreciate cliquey cynical sarcasm and false generalizations.

Thanks.

kikimm
10-07-2005, 02:51 AM
I don't even know what I think anymore. I listen to what I like. If it happens to be "pop" or "mainstream", or whatever the hell you want to call it...then so be it. Whatever pleases my ears.

Although Jessica Simpson, Good Charlotte, Britney Spears, P. Diddy, none of those appeal to me.

Meh, I guess. MEH MEH MEH

fire_of_avalon
10-07-2005, 03:15 AM
If you play Final Fantasy, you buy into mainstream culture/pop-culture. Serious.

I pretty much agree with kikimm. I listen to whatever I like, and I like a LOT of different things. :)

Slade
10-07-2005, 07:04 AM
I pretty much agree with kikimm. I listen to whatever I like, and I like a LOT of different things. :)

GooeyToast
10-07-2005, 09:23 PM
It all depends really. Most suck, some don't. Just gotta find what you like and stick with it.

rubah
10-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I don't ever know what's going on in modern popular culture.

Dreddz
10-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Most of the popular music these days is crap.
No, There just not to your liking......

nik0tine
10-07-2005, 10:18 PM
If you play Final Fantasy, you buy into mainstream culture/pop-culture. Serious. Ouch.

edczxcvbnm
10-07-2005, 10:24 PM
As soon as you start to find new music that becomes popular 'bad' you are offically old.

Traitorfish
10-07-2005, 10:35 PM
If you play Final Fantasy, you buy into mainstream culture/pop-culture. Serious.
Not really- I understand what you mean, but there's a difference between buying and buying into- if you buy FF, you can still think for yourself, and make up your own mind about stuff. While, if you buy into pop-culture, you surrender your mind to the Record Companies, the clothes companies, and all those other little envoys of Stan. (Yes, evil Stan, lord of the nega-verse!)
Of course, any one who actually does buy into pop-culture barely has a mind anyway, so no great loss.

nik0tine
10-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Not really- I understand what you mean, but there's a difference between buying and buying into- if you buy FF, you can still think for yourself, and make up your own mind about stuff. While, if you buy into pop-culture, you surrender your mind to the Record Companies, the clothes companies, and all those other little envoys of Stan. (Yes, evil Stan, lord of the nega-verse!)
Of course, any one who actually does buy into pop-culture barely has a mind anyway, so no great loss.what?

Traitorfish
10-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Err...
FF doesn't really represent mainstream culture. In fact, the only culture it has any connection to is manga-anime type people, which is hardly mainstream. At least outside of Japan.

Jebus
10-07-2005, 11:38 PM

Okay, I'm good then. Damn pop culture and their manufactured soulless crap. [/hypocrite]

Not lying about the crap though.

Optium
10-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Yeah well, I don't buy the FF being mainstream thing. In the world of
RPGs, it's definitely mainstream. But in the world of videogames, RPGs
aren't even the biggest category, and in the world of all entertainment,
video games are just a little piece of all the media out there.

It's like saying that One Winged Angel is mainstream. Granted among
people who are into Nobuo's music it's probably his most popular song,
but look at the percentage of people who are into his music with those
who aren't. You'll be lucky to find 1 person in 100 who's a big fan.

.opt

nik0tine
10-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Err...
FF doesn't really represent mainstream culture. In fact, the only culture it has any connection to is manga-anime type people, which is hardly mainstream. At least outside of Japan.
That's not what I was refering to. What I meant was 'why does liking pop culture automatically make you a mindless moron?'

-N-
10-08-2005, 12:25 AM
What is pop? And why bother hating it?

XxSephirothxX
10-08-2005, 12:28 AM
So we can feel superior listening to "better" or "less mainstream" music.

-N-
10-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Oh, it's a manifestation of little-dick syndrome, then.

Yamaneko
10-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Most of the bands I like WERE mainstream during a time when artists had more freedom to do what they wanted to do. Everything changed in the late 70's when studios began to look into image and style (what sells) rather than content. Granted, much of the music I like is from the 80's and 90's, but man there was some terrible stuff then, and still is today. Nowadays you do have to look harder to find good music.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-12-2005, 04:47 AM
Most of the bands I like WERE mainstream during a time when artists had more freedom to do what they wanted to do. Everything changed in the late 70's when studios began to look into image and style (what sells) rather than content. Granted, much of the music I like is from the 80's and 90's, but man there was some terrible stuff then, and still is today. Nowadays you do have to look harder to find good music.

Indeed. Most of my favorite artists were mainstream several centuries ago. My how times change.

That's only if you started with FFVII or above. :)