PDA

View Full Version : needle and threads - complaint

Blank
10-06-2005, 10:42 PM
"Yes, and this thread is about half a year old. =) Please don't revive old threads anymore." - kikimm
my question was not answered.

okay, so no posting in old threads. well when you post a new topic on something, the moderators come and tell you not to post new topics about things that there are already threads about, and close you.

so what are you supposed to do. it's unfair.

"*enforces everyone for the hell of it*

Case (and thread) closed." - Del Murder

it's depressing for someone to end your thought in a conversation.
if a forum is a place for people to speak then why all the effort to make them stop

Shoeberto
10-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Generally, depending on the actual forum it's in, the tolerance for it is a month. If a thread has been recent enough that it's in everyone's immediate memory, you'll probably get redirected to it.

It's a simple system. I think you may have just had bad luck with those two examples.

Behold the Void
10-06-2005, 10:55 PM
There's a big difference between posting in a thread that has been dead for under a month and posting in a thread that has been dead for several months or even years. If it's been dead for that long, there's usually a reason for it and a new thread is really preferable if you want to have another discussion about the topic.

Del Murder
10-07-2005, 02:43 AM
General rule: If you go a few pages without seeing the same topic, feel free to post it. Worst that can happen is a mod closes it and links you to the older thread, and in that case just post in that one.

Topics have a flow to them, and after a certain amount of time the conversation dries up. Better to start over. Also, reviving old topics pushes newer ones down that may not have yet gotten their fair share.

-N-
10-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Del was never a gentle person when it came to closing threads.

Denmark
10-09-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm anti-nonfeedback forum nowadays, so I don't care what goes on in GC. personally, I would have to say that kikimm and Del were in the right when they did what they did. if you have a question, and don't see the thread on the first page of GC, ask it in a new thread. don't go looking for a thread. honestly. that's more work than I'd care to do, anyway. and if there's a recent enough thread, the staff will semi-nicely point you to said thread and close yours. no problem with that right? except maybe some normal members will demean you within your thread. myself included. but we're just idiots :D

escobert
10-09-2005, 06:28 AM
The entire it pushes the newer topics down is crap because a new topic will push them down anyways and it's the same topic so basically the same thread :p

crono_logical
10-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Not if it's the same topic, since people might see the old thread first and post in the wrong one :p And it's certainly not crap if the new topics are pushed onto the next page where many people don't normally bother to browse :p

escobert
10-09-2005, 06:58 PM
but, if the old thread is on another page they won't see it and post in it :p

Denmark
10-09-2005, 11:04 PM
just close all threads over a day old. :D?

escobert
10-10-2005, 02:15 AM
Sounds good to me :D

Denmark
10-10-2005, 02:25 AM
this thread is over a day old. CLOSE IT.

eestlinc
10-10-2005, 03:15 AM
I'll close you!

escobert
10-10-2005, 03:31 AM
Please?

-N-
10-10-2005, 06:26 AM
I only have issues with threading needles when the thread is frayed.

Shlup
10-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Del was never a gentle person when it came to closing threads.
Del was never gentle... in several areas of his life. *siiiigh*

Primus Inter Pares
10-10-2005, 10:29 AM
...that deserves a ":joey:" doesn't it?

Denmark
10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
no, because he had to go and get himself whacked at the tollbooth, and that was a sad occasion. :(