PDA

View Full Version : Coheed and Cambria - Apollo I'm Burning Star: IV

Rye
10-08-2005, 12:06 AM
This is a pretty kickass CD so far. :) I :<3: these guys. Keeping The Blade is possibly one of the best intro instrumental songs I've ever heard, the piano in it is beautiful. I'm going to be bugging my piano teacher to get the sheet music for it. xD The only song I have any complaints on so far with the CD is Always, because the little girl talking and giggling creeps me out.

I also have to give thumbs up to these guys for picking good singles. The Suffering and Welcome Home are both really good song. I'm hoping Apollo 1: or Wake Up will be the next single. My favourite songs so far:

Apollo 1: The Writing Writer (AMAZING song)
Keeping the Blade
The Suffering
Welcome Home
Wake Up (it's a really soft sweet love song, reminds me of Demolition Lovers a bit)

I have about 3/4s of the CD listened to, so I'll talk about the rest of it later. What do you think of it? :D

ZeZipster
10-08-2005, 01:57 AM
I concur!

Winter Nights
10-08-2005, 02:00 AM
I bought it last weekend. Haven't listened to it all, but it sounds great so far. Coheed and Cambria is an awesome band. LOVE "Welcome Home".

Pure Strife
10-09-2005, 12:52 AM
It's SEX

By which I mean it's a thoroughly enjoyable listen.

Rye
10-09-2005, 11:12 PM
It's SEX

xD Yeah, it really was.

Chzn8r
10-12-2005, 09:49 PM
It's SEX

Yes indeed. Not a flawless record, but no doubt fantastic and very consistent. Mature and well developed songwriting and especially lyrics. I'm a huge fan of all the first 4 songs, Apollo 1: The Writing Writer, Wake Up, The Suffering, and all 4 parts of The Willing Well.

I haven't decided yet whether I like this album more than In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

I'm glad I got my copy of this album signed by all the band members, that was fun :)

Tokki Wartooth
10-12-2005, 10:37 PM
It's an awful CD. The worst stuff they've ever put out, including b-sides. It just rehashes everything they've done before, but very, very badly. Compare The Suffering to Three Evils ("Listen well will you marry me" to "Pull the triger and the nightmare stops")--it's EXACTLY THE SAME. And I didn't even LIKE Three Evils. And that "hey hey," they've done that before too. I don't like it. They rip themselves off more in other songs too, but I can't even be bothered to listen to the CD any more to find them all. And the ballads. Oh god no. Light & the Glass was enough! Ugh.

Perhaps its only saving grace is Ten Speed. But that's a good enough song to make me glad I borrowed the CD.

However, I still do love Coheed and Cambria dearly, and I'm going to see them on November 9th (at least partially only because of the Blood Brothers, though).

Pure Strife
10-12-2005, 10:51 PM
It's an awful CD. The worst stuff they've ever put out, including b-sides. It just rehashes everything they've done before, but very, very badly. Compare The Suffering to Three Evils ("Listen well will you marry me" to "Pull the triger and the nightmare stops")--it's EXACTLY THE SAME. And I didn't even LIKE Three Evils. And that "hey hey," they've done that before too. I don't like it. They rip themselves off more in other songs too, but I can't even be bothered to listen to the CD any more to find them all. And the ballads. Oh god no. Light & the Glass was enough! Ugh.

Perhaps its only saving grace is Ten Speed. But that's a good enough song to make me glad I borrowed the CD.

However, I still do love Coheed and Cambria dearly, and I'm going to see them on November 9th (at least partially only because of the Blood Brothers, though).

Having heard Apollo first, I thought In Keeping Secrets was God awful apart from the odd track. Maybe it's me.

Kamiko
10-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I freaking <3 this album!

Zell's Fists of Fury
10-13-2005, 12:08 AM
I agree with whats-her-face up there. It's pretty much the same thing as In Keeping Secrets.

I still listen to it though.

Winter Nights
10-13-2005, 12:11 AM
*shrugs* I still like it. In Keeping Secrets is a better album, though.

Chzn8r
10-14-2005, 05:35 AM

Have you ever heard of, *gasp*, concept albums? With overarching stories? Connected themes? Reprised lyrics and melodies? Listen to any of the great rock or metal concept albums in history, they definitely have a lot of this. Coheed songs are pretty much all told in 2nd person perspective (which is why they have a lot of 'you's), and there are times where you might be hearing about the same event from two different perspectives (Delerium Trigger and 2113, for example). There are lyrical reprises between Camper Velorium 1 and Apollo pts 1 and 2. There's also the part in Apollo 2 (Willing Well 3) with the "Jesse, bad boy" etc... part from the first album. And there are musical reprises in a select few places, including (but not limited to) the first songs of the albums so far (Keeping the Blade being a combo of the first two), between Three Evils and The Suffering.

Really. The band is doing a great job of holding together a story with enough familiarity but yet still maturing as a band, growing into different sounds, and writing tighter songs. You have to admit, the new album flows a lot better than In Keeping Secrets, even if it may not have as many memorable moments.

Tokki Wartooth
10-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Actually, Co&Ca is a concept band. This album is just another part of the story. Haha. And the fact that it is doesn't make them ripping off their own songs (or even this being their weakest album musically) any more bearable.

Chzn8r
10-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Actually, Co&Ca is a concept band. Duh... that's what I was getting at... This album is just another part of the story. Haha. And the fact that it is doesn't make them ripping off their own songs (or even this being their weakest album musically) any more bearable. I'm sorry to hear that. It's probably their strongest album musically and the only "rip-offs" are actually good choices for recurring melodies. The part in The Suffering is the way it is because the listener is supposed to recognize its similarity to something from the previous album, and read deeper into the story connection there. Besides, it's not like there are even structural similarities between "Three Evils" and "The Suffering", there's just the one re-used (but changed in key and phrasing) vocal melody. Big whoop.

Pure Strife
10-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Actually, Co&Ca is a concept band. This album is just another part of the story. Haha. And the fact that it is doesn't make them ripping off their own songs (or even this being their weakest album musically) any more bearable.

I was really impressed with the musicianship on Good Apollo. Simple yet enjoyable riffs that connect into each other really well, and held together yet varied by some outstanding lead guitar. The bass has some pretty need lines too. Tis good fun.

Project G
10-19-2005, 04:15 PM
I heard a Coheed and Cambria song the other day and thought it was excellent, but I can't remember what it was called but it was off their new album

Crow
10-20-2005, 04:06 AM
i love Coheed and Cambria,very good band and the new cd kick ass ive listend t othe whole cd a few times already and Welcome Home owns but none of the songs ive heard will come close to the Crowing(fav song by them)especially the ending.

mpjunior36
10-22-2005, 03:44 AM
I absolutely love this album. It took a couple listens, but it clicked with me. I can't decide which is the best album of 2005 so far...this one or "Catch Without Arms" by Dredg.

Agent Proto
10-22-2005, 05:12 AM
This being my first Coheed and Cambria CD, being that it was recommended to me when I asked a friend what CD to buy, I am fairly impressed.

Chzn8r
10-23-2005, 06:21 PM
I absolutely love this album. It took a couple listens, but it clicked with me. I can't decide which is the best album of 2005 so far...this one or "Catch Without Arms" by Dredg.

Haven't heard Catch without Arms yet. But some of my favorites this year so far include:

C&C- Good Apollo
Dream Theater- Octavarium
Kamelot- The Black Halo
King's X- Ogre Tones
Meshuggah- Catch 33
Opeth- Ghost Reveries
Pain of Salvation- BE (original live production)
Porcupine Tree- Deadwing
System of a Down- Mezmerize
Thrice- Vheissu

I'm still looking forward to Neal Morse- "?" and System of a Down- "Hypnotize."
I still haven't heard a few releases that I want to, specifically Spock's Beard- "Octane", Strapping Young Lad- "Alien", and Dredg's new one.

mpjunior36
10-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Haven't heard Catch without Arms yet. But some of my favorites this year so far include:

C&C- Good Apollo
Dream Theater- Octavarium
Kamelot- The Black Halo
King's X- Ogre Tones
Meshuggah- Catch 33
Opeth- Ghost Reveries
Pain of Salvation- BE (original live production)
Porcupine Tree- Deadwing
System of a Down- Mezmerize
Thrice- Vheissu

I'm still looking forward to Neal Morse- "?" and System of a Down- "Hypnotize."
I still haven't heard a few releases that I want to, specifically Spock's Beard- "Octane", Strapping Young Lad- "Alien", and Dredg's new one.

I was very disappointed with Octavarium...just not my cup of tea! Train of Thought was incredible, and ranks right behind Images & Words in my book. BE is amazing, and I haven't heard any of the others that you mentioned. I really want to hear the new Thrice and Porcupine Tree, though.