PDA

View Full Version : Paper folding

Itsunari 2000
10-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Are there any origami enthusiasts in here ? I've recently taken an interest in it, just as a small pastime.It's a fascinating art - I can spend up to two hours at night just making cranes or snails or whatever.
Earlier I made two doves , a butterfly and a sake cup.I have a friend who has had a long time interest in it,who is currently at work on a 85-part dragon in flight.

omnitarian
10-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Yep. I did it a lot as a kid, but not so much anymore. However, I still have a bunch of origami figures on my bookshelf.

Rengori
10-08-2005, 08:09 PM
I know how to do a little bit...

Rye
10-08-2005, 08:14 PM
I always wished I could do oragami. It's so pretty. :)

Doomie
10-08-2005, 08:16 PM
I can make a boat.

Alive-Cat
10-08-2005, 08:31 PM
I guess I kinda missed that. Hmph.

Miriel
10-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Del Murder can attest to my crazy paper folding skills.

And by "crazy" I mean somewhat decent.

Jess
10-08-2005, 09:24 PM
I can fold my paper in half! :D

rubah
10-08-2005, 09:27 PM
I can make a cootie catcher or a boathat.

I used to do a little origami, but gave up on it after wasting a lot of paper.

Leeza
10-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Dr Unne is always folding papers. Check out his work. :cat:

<a href="http://www.chwombat.net/origami.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=17">Dr Unne's Origami</a>

ZeZipster
10-08-2005, 09:30 PM
I can make paper air-planes.

Zeldy
10-08-2005, 09:31 PM
I eat paper

Loony BoB
10-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Dr Unne is always folding papers. Check out his work. :cat:

<a href="http://www.chwombat.net/origami.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=17">Dr Unne's Origami</a>
Holy Carper. I saw this thread and thought "Unne" but I still had no idea he was that good. Wow. That's really, really impressive.

Leeza
10-08-2005, 10:04 PM
He's a pro. I seen him make one of those <a href="http://www.chwombat.net/gallery.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=60">multi-coloured ball things</a> in a couple of hours.

Rengori
10-08-2005, 10:19 PM
He's a pro. I seen him make one of those <a href="http://www.chwombat.net/gallery.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=60">multi-coloured ball things</a> in a couple of hours.
I'm more surprised by
http://www.chwombat.net//gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=86&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=8cbc37c4d348e3fc7b3284ac664f6c75

rubah
10-08-2005, 10:34 PM
I used to make paper boats nearly that small. of course they're less complex, but it was just with my fingers? :D

fire_of_avalon
10-09-2005, 05:12 AM
I...I can't make paper airplanes :(

But my friend Jess is making those stars. Where when you make a thousand of them you get a wish. Yeah.

*looks at Unne's stuff*

Rengori
10-09-2005, 05:16 AM
But my friend Jess is making those stars. Where when you make a thousand of them you get a wish. Yeah.
I think those are supposed to be cranes.

Shlup
10-09-2005, 05:27 AM
I can fold a crane and a person. I have folded more things, but those are the only things I can fold easily and from memory. I learned when I was about six.

I cannot do those little stars foa mentioned though. I just can't do 'em. I have the paper and I know I'm folding it right, but they never come out looking like a star. xP

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-09-2005, 05:50 AM
oh crap. I have to do a origami project for geometry. ok, im gonna go start it, any ideas on what i can make.
p.s. damn unne is good

theundeadhero
10-09-2005, 11:10 AM
I like paper frogs.

Del Murder
10-10-2005, 05:52 AM
I think Origami is cool. I should try to make something some time.

Slade
10-10-2005, 06:14 AM
Back when i was little, i would make origami dinosaurs. I used to get this book out all the time from the school library about how to create them. I would always re-issue it whenever i had the chance. Those were the days. Wish i knew how to do them now. All I can do now are darts, bombs and those weird little game things that have numbers and colours.

Dr Unne
10-10-2005, 06:34 AM
Is the dragon in flight on a website, or in a book? If a site, can I have a link?

Origami rules. You can take it to any level you want. Cranes and fishes and boats, or some truly crazy stuff. I can fold a checkerboard out of one sheet of paper. Cuckoo clock, guy playing a piano, guy playing a violin, 12 species of beetles, biplane, ship in a bottle, matchbook with matches in it, frog with 4 toes on each foot, etc. In addition to a thousand kinds of animals, animals being the more traditional sort of thing to fold. Name it and someone has folded it out of one square of paper somewhere though. Sometimes it frightens me. What's on my site is the smallest tip of the iceberg of what's possible. I have a whole book just on making fish. Another just on making insects. One whole book on folding an anatomically correct t-rex skeleton (that's on my site...)

It's an easy way to impress people too, as this thread shows. Origami is not difficult. There are about 8 folds, that's it. If you can read directions and follow them in order and go slowly and carefully, you can make 90% of the origami you'll find in books. Some of it takes some skill, but not a lot.

And it's cheap; you just need paper. They sell origami paper, but you can use any paper if you don't have it, and 100 sheets is like $5 anyways. Lacking paper, you can fold money. I can make stuff out of dollar bills (giraffe, crab, flower, basket, eyeglasses, birds of various sorts, dinosaur, tetrahedron...). Fun to leave as a tip for waitresses.

It's stress relief too. It's a good way to exercise the right half of your brain. Benefits of which: relaxation and making time pass quickly.

Modular origami is useful to make really nice things without requiring much/any skill. Just lots of patience of folding the same thing over and over. If you like math, look into the relationship of origami and fractal geometry too.

oh crap. I have to do a origami project for geometry. ok, im gonna go start it, any ideas on what i can make.

http://www.geocities.com/anniefolds/TSU2.html

Make the 30-unit one (looks like a lesser stellated icosahedron to me). I just made one yesterday. 3 or 4 hours, and you're done. You don't even have to pay attention. I folded it while watching a movie.

Yuffie514
10-10-2005, 06:55 AM
:fpninja: paper shuriken!
:fpninja: paper blowgun!
:fpninja: enemy secrets concealed within paper swans!

the best of my arsenal! prepare to be paper-cutted!

are sticky bombs considered origami?

Nod
10-10-2005, 01:32 PM
I used to be a member of an Origami Club; but it folded.

Itsunari 2000
10-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Is the dragon in flight on a website, or in a book? If a site, can I have a link?

Origami rules. You can take it to any level you want. Cranes and fishes and boats, or some truly crazy stuff. I can fold a checkerboard out of one sheet of paper. Cuckoo clock, guy playing a piano, guy playing a violin, 12 species of beetles, biplane, ship in a bottle, matchbook with matches in it, frog with 4 toes on each foot, etc. In addition to a thousand kinds of animals, animals being the more traditional sort of thing to fold. Name it and someone has folded it out of one square of paper somewhere though. Sometimes it frightens me. What's on my site is the smallest tip of the iceberg of what's possible. I have a whole book just on making fish. Another just on making insects. One whole book on folding an anatomically correct t-rex skeleton (that's on my site...)

It's an easy way to impress people too, as this thread shows. Origami is not difficult. There are about 8 folds, that's it. If you can read directions and follow them in order and go slowly and carefully, you can make 90% of the origami you'll find in books. Some of it takes some skill, but not a lot.

And it's cheap; you just need paper. They sell origami paper, but you can use any paper if you don't have it, and 100 sheets is like $5 anyways. Lacking paper, you can fold money. I can make stuff out of dollar bills (giraffe, crab, flower, basket, eyeglasses, birds of various sorts, dinosaur, tetrahedron...). Fun to leave as a tip for waitresses.

It's stress relief too. It's a good way to exercise the right half of your brain. Benefits of which: relaxation and making time pass quickly.

Modular origami is useful to make really nice things without requiring much/any skill. Just lots of patience of folding the same thing over and over. If you like math, look into the relationship of origami and fractal geometry too.

http://www.geocities.com/anniefolds/TSU2.html

Make the 30-unit one (looks like a lesser stellated icosahedron to me). I just made one yesterday. 3 or 4 hours, and you're done. You don't even have to pay attention. I folded it while watching a movie.

Incredible.Some really impressive stuff you have there.

Nod
10-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Ok, my dreadful earlier joke aside, this thread now has me interested in Origami. Especially as folding up money will give me something for my hands to do rather than smoking cigarettes.

:D

omnitarian
10-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I used to make elephants out of dollar bills all the time, but then I lost the book that taught me how. :-/

Here's an online version (http://www.geocities.com/xulfrepus/ganesh/ganesh.html), although it gets muddy around step 4. Expect a few gimpy elephants...

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-10-2005, 09:26 PM
The only thing I can do by memory is a rose

Karl
10-10-2005, 09:28 PM
i have no clue how to do oragami but i would love to, but i'm a little too lazy to go to the library and get a book on it

Sasquatch
10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
I can fold paper in half nine times.

Leeza
10-10-2005, 10:21 PM
I really did try folding that elephant, but had to give up after <i>fold like an airplane</i>. I find that the instructions for most of these projects are not very user friendly. :(

Old Manus
10-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Remember that TV show about origami from the 70s

Dr Unne
10-10-2005, 11:20 PM
I really did try folding that elephant, but had to give up after <i>fold like an airplane</i>. I find that the instructions for most of these projects are not very user friendly. :(

It would be better written "valley fold the angle bisector". Often it's better if you completely ignore the words and just look at the pictures.

You always have to look at two steps at a time. First look at what they tell you to do, then look at the next step for what it's supposed to look like once you're done.

Look at my attachments, maybe it will be more clear. You can never measure paper just by looking at it, but you need to get the folds exact. To do this all you ever have to go by is INTERSECTIONS. For example a fold crossing another fold, or a fold meeting the edge of the paper, or two edges meeting at a point.

For the first fold, there are a few things that are interesting. You have the red line (which divides the paper in half). You have the green dot (an edge meeting another edge, to form a point). You have the yellow dot (that's where the red line meets the edge of the paper). Together, the green and yellow dots also form a LINE, namely the purple line, and that line runs along the EDGE of the paper.

Looking at step two, the purple line is now lying on top of the red line. The green dot has moved; it's also on top of the red line. The yellow dot has not moved (not really).

Mechanically the way you get the fold we're after is to physically pick up the green dot, and move it so it touches the red line. You will notice that there are infinitely many places the green dot can touch the red line. You will also notice that the fold we're after goes through the yellow dot. There are infinitely many folds that go through the yellow dot.

It takes TWO points to form a line. There is only one fold that goes through the yellow dot, AND causes the green dot to touch the red line, both at the same time. You'll also notice that this fold places the purple line on top of the red line. That's another way you can line it up.