PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Sentenced to Death

Elite Lord Sigma
10-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Gamer Devon Moore was sentenced to death for killing three police officers in 2003 by an Alabama judge. Apparently, Moore is blaming GTA3 for inspiring him to kill the officers. The victims' families have sued Take-Two Entertainment (the parent company of Rockstar Games), Sony, Wal-Mart, and Gamestop for their roles in manufacturing and selling the game.

My thoughts:

1. It seems nice that some idiots out there still seem to think video games are helping us kill each other. My god, haven't those people read any recent studies?

2. Do you think Take-Two is happy that they have to deal with this garbage every day? Do you think they want their games to persuade people to kill?

3. It's not any of the aforementioned companies' fault for the policemen's deaths. It was Moore's fault. Too bad some idiots can't figure that out.

This is a link with more details:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6135335.html

Lionx
10-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Heres the thing..they can and will do it, so why the hell not? Its easy find a good lawyer and you are set, i find him to he smart in that sense. But outside the legal realm...its funny xD

kikimm
10-08-2005, 11:27 PM
I, personally, like being an idiot and everything, but this is just.../xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. A big pile of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. xD BLEGH

Captain Maxx Power
10-08-2005, 11:32 PM
I may just go and kill a few people and say I was inspired by Big Brother. I'll end up in jail, but at least I'll take something I hate with me.

Cloud No.9
10-09-2005, 12:08 AM
take two and rockstar love it.

it's publicity. it's why they made hot-coffee. this sells. and they won't lose the case. so they are more than happy.

Destai
10-09-2005, 12:14 AM
take two and rockstar love it.

it's publicity. it's why they made hot-coffee. this sells. and they won't lose the case. so they are more than happy.Thats true, they intentionally pack there games full of unnecessary and unsuitable scenes for that same purpose.

Anyway the suggestion that this guys mental problems all spawned from a video game is laughable.

omnitarian
10-09-2005, 12:33 AM
The defense mounted a case based on a childhood full of mental and physical abuse...

Clearly, violent media has corrupted this bastion of childhood innocence and turned him into a copycat murder machine. Gimme a break. This kid was a threat to society long before he ever picked up a PS2 controller.

Rengori
10-09-2005, 01:21 AM
If Hilary Clinton runs and wins the title of President in 2008, she'll use this to try and persuade congress to make a 28th Amendment saying video games are illegal, and if it passes, later Amendment 29 will say "Nevermind, too many people are illegally playing video games," as with Amendments 18 and 21 with alchoholic beverages.

Jessweeee♪
10-09-2005, 05:59 AM
Here's what i think: videogames are only harmful to your eyes and no worse than television or reading in the dark.

People who respond that way to video games had problems to start with and shouldn't be playing them cos they're ruining it for the normal gamers.

Dreddz
10-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I dont get why Games are always the ones to blame. Im sure Movies inspire alot more ilegal doings than Games......

Big D
10-09-2005, 10:56 AM
I dont get why Games are always the ones to blame. Im sure Movies inspire alot more ilegal doings than Games......All media get blamed, because all media can be an influence on somebody's behaviour. We just take more notice of the gaming controversy because (1) we're gamers, and (2) the media can make a huge deal out of it without making themselves look bad. I mean, if they reported on every incident where there was a suggested link to a TV show or movie, then that'd be like saying, "hey, look what our particular medium does to people!"

Lionx
10-09-2005, 10:58 AM
On that note i blame books and my food and everything i have in real life that influences me. THEY MADE ME KILL THAT GUY! O_O NOT ME! I AM INNOCENT!

Big D
10-09-2005, 11:07 AM
'Influence' isn't the same as 'cause'. A sane person can be influenced by some external stimulus, but the decision is ultimately their own.

Lionx
10-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Of course, but as usual influences and cause is being confused here. Its always the feeling that the games MADE the person that way when its totally untrue.

nik0tine
10-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Why are influences even considered in these circumstances?

Lionx
10-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Well they need something to blame other than themselves i guess...that and i am sure the guy doesnt wanna die.

Elite Lord Sigma
10-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Well they need something to blame other than themselves i guess...that and i am sure the guy doesnt wanna die.

It's too late for that. He already got sentenced to death. His lawyer is appealing, but I doubt it will work.

Rainecloud
10-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Now that's justice.

Once again, we see the unusual behaviour of The Human. If something goes wrong, it always tends to blame someone or something else rather than itself. A very curious and rather pathetic trait, wouldn't you say?

Psychotic
10-09-2005, 02:45 PM
I've been playing GTA games since I was about 11. How many people have I murdered? Zero. (At least, zero that could be proven, anyway :shifty:)