PDA

View Full Version : TSW included in IGN's top 20 Animated Films of All Time

Miriel
10-10-2005, 08:24 AM
The list (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/650/650717p1.html).

Spirits Within came in at number 25, joining a rather illustrious group of animated films.

25. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Arriving at a time when audiences began to question the line between CGI and conventional moviemaking, this ambitious video game adaptation quickly fell of the radar as a cautionary tale for future filmmakers. But the project, which features some of the most exciting computer-generated characters ever put on film, proves to be a rewarding, adult-oriented odyssey that offers more than mere video-game style showdowns. Now on DVD where its technical (much less creative) accomplishments can be fully appreciated, this film offers an intelligent, humanistic alternative to the conventional body-count approaches of live-action adaptations. -TG

While I can't say that I respect this list, or that I find much rationality in their ranking of films, I will say that I think their choice to include Spirits Within was a brave and interesting decision.

Necronopticous
10-10-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm glad someone is finally recognizing it. I wish more people understood that the amount of money a movie makes does not determine how good or bad that movie is. The Spirits Within is a wonderful film, and I approve of IGN's decision to put it on this list.

Destai
10-10-2005, 05:39 PM
IGN's lists are usually pretty dumb if you ask me so yeah go figure.

rubah
10-11-2005, 02:02 AM
I've never seen spirits within, but I can't help but saying this.

Perhaps they ran out of choices for 25th spot?

Miriel
10-11-2005, 02:38 AM
Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Akira, Ghost in a Shell, Lady and the Tramp, were all excluded from the list.

The fact that IGN ranks Toy Story 2, South Park, and Aladdin over Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Grave of the Fireflies completely invalidates the list for me. But whatever floats their boat.

rubah
10-11-2005, 04:05 AM
aladdin was a pretty good movie though. Sleeping Beauty was just poetry in animation though:O

Miriel
10-11-2005, 04:34 AM
I loved Aladdin, but c'mon, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King were just extraordinary. Aladdin isn't in the same league. And it makes me sad that a sequel outranks so many innovative films on this list. That ain't right.

Sefie1999AD
10-11-2005, 01:49 PM
I didn't like that list, either. Toy Stories, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and other Pixar's garbage movies beating all those Disney films? Yeah, right. Iron Giant was an alright film, but certainly not excellent. South Park and Nightmare Before Christmas are also rated way too high. I think the Advent Children is my favorite animated movie, but for those on that list, I think Disney movies should also be rated higher.

IGN left many Disney movies so underrated, while some were ranked too high compared to the others. I can understand Snow White being Disney's highest-ranked (it was the first classic, after all), but Aladdin beating Beauty and the Beast is strange (BatB is my favorite Disney film, BTW). Then the Little Mermaid, the Lion King, Dumbo, Fantasia, Bambi and Pinocchio. What... ? Not sure which one I prefer, the Little Mermaid or the Lion King, but I just don't think Dumbo, Fantasia, Bambi and Pinocchio were all that great. It seems IGN just put Disney's first 5 classics to that list and then some of the newest, and ignored the rest.

Out of Disney films, IGN should have put Cinderella there, as well as Mulan and Tarzan. As for some others, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp and Sleeping Beauty are also pretty good, though not among Disney's best, IMHO.

SeeDRankLou
10-11-2005, 09:58 PM
....Finding Nemo... and other Pixar's garbage movies....
.......Take it back.... :mad2: .....Take it back NOW!!!!.....Take it back or I'm going to shoot this rabbit (a cookie for anyone who catches that reference :D )

I think the list is rather accurate, a bit out of order, but accurate.

raskerino
10-12-2005, 12:28 AM
I didn't like that list, either. Toy Stories, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and other Pixar's garbage movies beating all those Disney films? Yeah, right. Iron Giant was an alright film, but certainly not excellent. South Park and Nightmare Before Christmas are also rated way too high. I think the Advent Children is my favorite animated movie, but for those on that list, I think Disney movies should also be rated higher.

IGN left many Disney movies so underrated, while some were ranked too high compared to the others. I can understand Snow White being Disney's highest-ranked (it was the first classic, after all), but Aladdin beating Beauty and the Beast is strange (BatB is my favorite Disney film, BTW). Then the Little Mermaid, the Lion King, Dumbo, Fantasia, Bambi and Pinocchio. What... ? Not sure which one I prefer, the Little Mermaid or the Lion King, but I just don't think Dumbo, Fantasia, Bambi and Pinocchio were all that great. It seems IGN just put Disney's first 5 classics to that list and then some of the newest, and ignored the rest.

Out of Disney films, IGN should have put Cinderella there, as well as Mulan and Tarzan. As for some others, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp and Sleeping Beauty are also pretty good, though not among Disney's best, IMHO.

Am I the only person in the world who finds Disney ugly, naive, racist, shallow and of course started by a corrupt horrible person (though as I haven't seen a lot of their moveis some might be OK)? While I utterly disagree with the list as it's pro-disney, I do like that they include some wonderful Miyazaki films, Grave of the Fireflies (so sad), Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. While I prefer a lot of his others I'm glad they do get recognition, my favorites being:Nausicaa of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, Totoro and Porco Russo.

kikimm
10-12-2005, 01:41 AM
I'm glad that they put it on their list, as I think it's an excellent movie, but yeah, the list doesn't look too good.

Still, though. It makes me happy that it's getting applauded for once. I'm sick of hearing otherwise. ;)

Miriel
10-12-2005, 01:42 AM
Am I the only person in the world who finds Disney ugly, naive, racist, shallow and of course started by a corrupt horrible person (though as I haven't seen a lot of their moveis some might be OK)?

Yes. Yes you are.

raskerino
10-12-2005, 02:10 AM
Am I the only person in the world who finds Disney ugly, naive, racist, shallow and of course started by a corrupt horrible person (though as I haven't seen a lot of their moveis some might be OK)?

Yes. Yes you are.

NOOOOOOOOO!!! somehow I knew someone was gonna say that, but it doesn't sstop it from being true.

Destai
10-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Am I the only person in the world who finds Disney ugly, naive, racist, shallow and of course started by a corrupt horrible person (though as I haven't seen a lot of their moveis some might be OK)?What are you, Amish?

raskerino
10-12-2005, 09:52 PM
What are you, Amish?

No.

I enjoyed TSW, but it wasn't very strong, so while I prefer it over the competition, I don't think it deserves to be there. AC though it hasn't been out yet I find more deserving for a spot. But it is kinda nice for it to be recognized.

Russielloyd
10-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Spirits within was alright, what spoilt it was having the name Final Fantasy in it.

Maybe next year AC will be in the list, well it will be if the list does get updated. Hopefully AC can get reconition with a Oscar or a BAFTA.

Quina
10-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Lady and the Tramp?

Mirage
10-17-2005, 03:40 PM
TSW wasn't all that bad, it's just that I expected so much more.
And for the record, that list sucks. :p