PDA

View Full Version : Should I level up??

crashNUMBERS
10-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Thing is that I am supposed to enter some town to the south of this other town where I fisrt see Rachel. Most online guides claim I should be around level 16. Im only around 10-13. No wonder all of the walkthroughs have been saying that Kefka was easy back at Narshe and I ddin't believe them. So I wanna know. Should I level up to atleast 20 with all of them to have a better start for what lies ahead??

Slothy
10-11-2005, 03:28 AM
Leveling can't hurt. If you're really having trouble, then go ahead.

Strider
10-11-2005, 06:12 AM
I wouldn't say it's necessary. What fun is a game if it's a breeze, right?

If you feel so inclined, though, try getting Sabin to level 15. That's where he learns Fire Dance, which will make your life a lot easier.

crashNUMBERS
10-11-2005, 12:41 PM
I'll try that thank you...

Flying Mullet
10-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Also, if you're heading to Zozo soon, I would suggest that all of your characters have over 400 hit points. You fight Slam Dancers there that can cast Ice 2 for 300-400 damage.

Sepho
10-11-2005, 01:52 PM
I try to bring a party that can kill the Slam Dancers before they have a chance, but I'm not always fast enough :/

If you want to maximize your stat development potential, try to not overlevel, or only level up as much as necessary until later in the game when you get Espers like Bahamut, Raiden, Fenrir and others that significantly boost a stat when you level up.

bipper
10-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I keep my party as low level as possible, untill I get espers. The lvl bonuses are great.

Bipper

Destai
10-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Level up but to at least 20? That doesnt sound like fun.

TurkSlayer
10-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Not to 20, but at least a little.

Flying Mullet
10-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Just pretend you're doing the low level challenge. ;)

Slothy
10-11-2005, 07:27 PM
If you feel so inclined, though, try getting Sabin to level 15. That's where he learns Fire Dance, which will make your life a lot easier.

I wasn't sure what levels I usually am at that point, but I know I never have Fire Dance by that point. I usually get it when I'm in or shortly after Zozo, so yeah, leveling up to level 20 is pretty unnecessary. If you are having problems though, like I said, it can't hurt. I usually just level after Zozo as I'm trying to learn some spells.

Ultima Shadow
10-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Bah, I and Necronopticous (and several others) have beaten Kefka(final boss version) with a level 6-7 party... so... it's not like you NEED to level up in order to progress.

Also, guides always recomend far too high levels.

crashNUMBERS
10-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Freakin liar!!

Ultima Shadow
10-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Freakin liar!!Almost all normal encounters can be avoided and bosses doesn't give any EXP. Thanks to that desert place where you get Gau, you can get a lots of free AP and gil without gaining any EXP since the enemies there doesn't drop any EXP. Thanks to different kinds of equipment, magics and summons, there's only a very few attacks that means instant-kill for your entire party... and then there's also Life3 which helps out a lot in those situations too.

There's only 3 battles that's really, really REALLY hard. First Ultros, The sky battle before the floating continent and the final Kefka.

KoShiatar
10-12-2005, 12:22 PM
And just out of curiosity, how do you beat Kefka with such a low level party? Do you use any trick? How long does it take?

Ultima Shadow
10-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Well, to begin with, you'll need all the useful spells and a really good equipment. When a character is hit by an attack, it's a guaranteed kill. Therefore evasion, magic evasion and Life3 is really important. Thanks to "Mirage" you can avoid getting hit by most phsycical attacks and Celes Runic can be used to absorb magic... even though I didn't find it useful in the Final Battle against Kefka since most of his attacks are "special attacks" and not normal spells, thus they cannot be absorbed... not to mention the fact that you can't use Magic yourself when Runic is activated. It's pretty useful in some other battles, though.

Anyways... surviving IS the really hard part... in almost any battle.

Terra can do some pretty decent dammage with a double casted Ultima. Gembox is easy to get if you've got the Moogle Charm and in order to have enough MP to actually cast Ultima, you'll also need that item which makes all spells only cost 1 MP. So... Terra's your main killing-machine. However... most of the time you'll be busy reviving and stuff... so therefore this battle will most likely take much more than 1 hour... not to mention the fact that you'll probably fail countless times before you actually manage to beat him.

Oh, yeah... and if I remember correctly, Necronopticous actually defeated Kefka by using "Rasp" until Kefka didn't have any MP left, making him unable to attack. I've never tried to do that myself, though. So I don't know whenever that's more or less effective than just attacking his HP. :cool:

boys from the dwarf
10-13-2005, 07:59 PM
id say yes but it isnt on the choices(damn hypellos. theyve invaded the FF6 forum:mad2:.). i wouldnt level up to 20 but id level up a bit more.its good to level up a lot but not so the games a breeze but just so its relatively easy unless you want a low level challenge.

The legendary Shadow
10-14-2005, 02:08 AM
There's only 3 battles that's really, really REALLY hard. First Ultros, The sky battle before the floating continent and the final Kefka.

I try that too,but I cant defeat the first Ultros!!He always kills my Banon.:mad2:

Ultima Shadow
10-14-2005, 12:52 PM
I try that too,but I cant defeat the first Ultros!!He always kills my Banon.:mad2:Yeah, that's what makes it so hard. Try to defend with Banon as often as possible and always have him in the backrow. Still... 1 or 2 good hits from Ultros and he's dead. :-/

The legendary Shadow
10-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah, that's what makes it so hard. Try to defend with Banon as often as possible and always have him in the backrow. Still... 1 or 2 good hits from Ultros and he's dead. :-/

yeah!Itīs really hard if your character get killed easily.But I continue trying.I hope I beat him today.

crashNUMBERS
10-14-2005, 08:40 PM
But if you believe in your heart...

The legendary Shadow
10-14-2005, 10:34 PM
He kills my Banon before I can defend again.that means iits banons turn he attacks him,every time.And then Its over :mad2:

Ultima Shadow
10-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Well, this IS one of the 2 most frustrating battles during the whole low-level challange. The other one is the Sky battle. Kefka's frustrating but far from being as frustrating as these 2.

All your characters should be in the backrow and don't be afraid to waste expensive items. Just keep trying.

Captain Maxx Power
10-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Levelling isn't necessary in FF6, unless you intend to power up your characters with espers, but it's not needed since you can easily get uber-leet chars even when they're in their late 30s coming out the otherside of the side-quests in the WOR.

The legendary Shadow
10-14-2005, 11:44 PM
Well, this IS one of the 2 most frustrating battles during the whole low-level challange. The other one is the Sky battle. Kefka's frustrating but far from being as frustrating as these 2.

All your characters should be in the backrow and don't be afraid to waste expensive items. Just keep trying.

I wonīt give up!!!!:D

Ultima Shadow
10-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Hey, tell me how the battle usually goes, as detailed as possible.

The legendary Shadow
10-16-2005, 12:05 AM
My Edgar attacks with 2 Weapons(does more Damage than autocrossbow), Sabin uses Aurabolt,Terra uses Fire and Banon defends/heal.
Every first tentacle goes to Terra and shes history.I revive her and heal.Next round I defend with Banon.Then he uses Tentacle(all).I heal with Terra,I defend with Banon.Now this round, he uses the Tentacle on Banon,in his turn(that means when the window is showen.In this little time he isnīt in defend mode anymore).Ultros does 100-110 damage to my Banon,but he only has 69.:cry:

Neco Arc
10-16-2005, 12:17 AM
it depends on how challenging you want the next few er...scenes to be...if you are having trouble then you can return to a old save file and level up... if you are doing fine then you can continue to do so... just remember leveling up in FFV wont hurt you like it does in FFVIII

Ultima Shadow
10-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Well... who's placed in the backrow and who isn't? I don't remember everything about this battle since it was months ago... but if Edgar's currently in the frontrow, it MIGHT be a better idea to use a sheild insyead of 1 of his weapons and place him in the backrow and use the Crossbow.

"Now this round, he uses the Tentacle on Banon,in his turn(that means when the window is showen.In this little time he isn´t in defend mode anymore).Ultros does 100-110 damage to my Banon,but he only has 69."

Well... you could wait with inputting any command with the character who gets his/her turn last out of all your characters in the first round, and then, once Ultros have made a move on the second round, you input whatever command seems to fit the situation with that character etc. That way, Banon should still be defending when Ultros makes his 2nd move... I think.

The legendary Shadow
10-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Well... you could wait with inputting any command with the character who gets his/her turn last out of all your characters in the first round, and then, once Ultros have made a move on the second round, you input whatever command seems to fit the situation with that character etc. That way, Banon should still be defending when Ultros makes his 2nd move... I think.

Thats a good idea!I try.Thanks:D

Ultima Shadow
10-21-2005, 08:52 AM
How's it going? :cool:

Sasquatch
10-21-2005, 01:43 PM
I just always have Banon use his Health. Put him in the back row, make him Health, that way he's always got all his HP.