PDA

View Full Version : Hardest final fantasy.

ScottNUMBERS
10-11-2005, 11:27 AM
What do you think is the hardest? (Don't include Weapons and/or superbosses) I'm curious.

I think FFIV.

I recently bought the Anthology version it seems a lot harder than a Rom version I downloaded. Is the Anthology version meant to be harder? :confused:

Captain Maxx Power
10-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Hardest in terms of story? Dyou mean hard to understand? Hardcore? Hard on the stomach? The eyes? I can't understand your crazy moon language!

ScottNUMBERS
10-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I just read what I wrote, and then I realised why I had no replies. :rolleyes2 I've edited now. :cool:

KoShiatar
10-11-2005, 08:57 PM
You probably played the Easytype version the first time, while Anthology version is based on the Hardtype version. So yes, it's harder.

For me, FF III so far. But it's also one of those games who is giving me the most satisfaction.

DJZen
10-12-2005, 03:46 AM
It's not just based on the hardtype verison, it IS the hardtype version :D

I'm not really sure what the hardest one I've ever played is. They all have a learning curve to them, but once you've figured things out, they become a lot easier. Heck, even some of the monster arena original creations in FFX can be taken out fairly easily if you just know a thing or two about how to play the game. FFX is actually a good example of why it's hard to rank them in terms of difficulty. The game itself is really, really easy. You can breeze right through it without ever having to take time levelling up (although there's better ways to make yourself straonger than levelling up...). Even the final boss is legendarily easy. But when you throw in things like Pennance, Nemesis, the Dark Aeons... Well, they're not so easy. Then you've got games like FFII which have a much steeper learning curve, but once you learn the mechanics (which, I might add, aren't even documented...), you can kick arse like a madman. Then there's games like FFXI which give you back exactly what you put into them, no more, no less. FFVIII can be walked through pretty easy until later on when junctioning becomes an absolute necessity, at which point you may or may not have figured out the various ways to get rare spells. Then you add Omega Weapon into the mix and... just agh. I guess I'm gonna go with FFVIII for that reason, but it's not a definite answer.

Zechs
10-12-2005, 05:22 AM
FFIV. Well, its the most irritating as well. 5 steps, bam, fight, victory, 5 steps and so on.

nik0tine
10-12-2005, 06:23 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-12-2005, 07:01 AM
I'd say Final Fantasy Tactics.

Especially because of this:

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/psx/fft/pictures/velius.jpg

Slade
10-12-2005, 07:26 AM
FFV was the hardest to beat for me. Took me forever.

nik0tine
10-12-2005, 07:56 AM

Oh god... Don't even start with me...

DJZen
10-12-2005, 08:39 AM
I never got that far in Tactics, I'm not even sure what that is.

KoShiatar
10-12-2005, 12:32 PM
It's not just based on the hardtype verison, it IS the hardtype version :D

Some dialogue has still been left off (the references to Kain's father for instance), so I prefer to say it's based on it. But you see, FF IV is one of my most beloved games and I'm picky.

Yuffie514
10-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics.

it remains unconquered :crying2: .

Takara
10-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics, without a doubt, is the hardest FF.

And the FFIV release of the Playstation IS the original (hard-type) version. Just because they didn't translate it correctly doesn't change the system.

And FYI, the easy-type version was released after the badly numbered NA release on the SNES. The SNES version was the original, with was made easier for us dumb non-Japanese people. I've played a rom of the easy-type version, and it was pretty different of the SNES version here.

Captain Maxx Power
10-12-2005, 10:42 PM
FFVIII can be walked through pretty easy until later on when junctioning becomes an absolute necessity, at which point you may or may not have figured out the various ways to get rare spells. Then you add Omega Weapon into the mix and... just agh. I guess I'm gonna go with FFVIII for that reason, but it's not a definite answer.

The sweet irony is that I just recently walked all over FF8, insulted it's mother, smacked it's children about, and then stole it's shoes, which by the way is an alagory meaning it twas easy peasy. Then again I did go through the whole game without gaining a single level...OK, Irvine gained a level during the last Laguna sequence, but that's it.

ThroneofDravaris
10-14-2005, 01:06 PM
I struggled the most with FF Tactics, but if you mean real Final Fantasy games, I would say FFIV.

Dreddz
10-16-2005, 02:11 PM
I think FFIV OR I
But FFIV is my thrird favourite FF Game, Damn good.....

Cruise Control
10-16-2005, 04:33 PM
The NES Verions of FFI was REALLY hard at the beggining, but maybe its because I didn't know I had to buy AND Equip the items...

raskerino
10-16-2005, 05:11 PM
I dunno, I found tactics medium difficulty throughout without a ton of difficulty (chocobos beasted), I found FFIX hardest cause I never took the time to get a 9999 move, and Ozma was (and is as I have never killed it) incredibly hard. Also it was just harder overall. I dunno, didn't do very well with the battle system in that. FFVII-FFX-2 is otherwise not too difficult...

Bahamut2000X
10-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Hardest FF's? I'ld have to say tactics just for the over all-ness of it's hardity. And how it seemed the AI would seem to cheat all the time and absolutly slaughter me. Granted my tactics for every fight was go in with melee and stab the pointy ends of our sticks into the bad guys.

Although I would have to say FFII NES was also a very hard game. Granted it was laughably easy once you learned the glitches to level yourself up with, but till your stats are really high you just get beat up so badly. On top of that the the final dungeon was utter hell. Took me 2 tries through to finally make it to the end with everyone alive and a good amount of elixers and ethers in my inventory. Not to mention the inventory was horrible, nothing stacked, and half your inventory was filled with key items by the end of the game, makes for a very limited selection of what to bring to the final battle.

But I would have to say FFXI is a very very VERY difficult game. Considering all it takes for an entire BCNM party to wipe, is one mistake for some fights. On top of finding people with some common sense, let alone decent skills can be hard at times (Dark Knight trying to out hate a Paladin on purpose anyone >.<) Also some of the missions in the game are pretty damn hard at times, I only shudder now at the thought of what's after Promys and waiting to eat me in the Aquaducts T_T.

But ya those are my top 3 hardest FF's in no particular order.

Dreddz
10-16-2005, 06:16 PM
all the 3D ones are p!$$ easy.....

The legendary Shadow
10-16-2005, 10:37 PM
FFV was the hardest to beat for me. Took me forever.

Me too.

Lord Chainsaw
10-17-2005, 06:23 AM
Final Fantasy XI is probably the hardest. Maybe I've just been spoiled by easy MMO's, because FFXI seems damn hard to me. It takes a lot of dedication to get to 75. Maybe someday I'll do it.

Excelsior
10-17-2005, 06:59 AM

Actually, I found that battle quite easy. Now, the battle right before it was a battle of difficulty so nigh-impossible that through a strange and unfortunate set of circumstances which I will not go into now, I was forced to replay the entire game just to be able to beat it.

ValiantKnight
10-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Would say Tactics.... gave me the most difficulty of 1, 6-9, and Tactics.

Never played the NES version of FF1, but have beat it many times on the Origins version... Easy mode is waaaaaaay tooo easy though.

Ive yet to completely finish 6... I got to the last tower, and had a friend borrow the CD, and got it back later when interested in other games.

Beat 7 over upside and down, many times.
Beat 8 like .... erm... it was medium difficulty the first time... more recent playings of it have it being beaten utterly easily, even Omega to an extent.
Beat 9 pretty easily, some hard points but overly easy.

Tactics was just.... the depth of the game is crazy.
There were very hard points if you didnt have proper characters.... and if you leveled early, random battles were MUCH harder than boss battles.

After Tactics, id say 6 or 1.... 7, 8, 9 werent that hard for me compared to 6 and 1.

Oh, and I'm back :)

vivi knight
10-21-2005, 12:12 PM
ff4 is really hard haven.t beaten it yet:eep: :eep: :eep: but ok i just staded 2 days ago:D ff6 is hard to:D

Sefie1999AD
10-21-2005, 11:22 PM

Yeah, that fight is very hard, and the fight before that (when Ramza fights alone) is just as hard. I didn't have Auto-Potion when I first went to that fight so I had to go and level up Ramza some more. Fortunately I had an earlier save before Riovanes so I didn't have to restart the whole game. The fight after that (at the roof) can end as your loss even before you get a single move if your speed stats are low, though I leveled up my speed stats so much that I won the battle in less than a minute.

Anyway, FF Tactics had a lot of long and hard fights (an army of red and black chocobos without Orlandu = you're dead), but I don't think the game was that hard once you got the hang of it. FFIV was the toughest FF for me. I played the hard type, and I also played it on the fastest speed. I thought that just makes the waiting times shorter, but I didn't realise it makes the game so much harder since the enemies will move so quickly - for example, Zeromus casts 1-2 Big Bangs in one turn on the fastest speed (ouch!) whereas he casts about 2 Big Bangs in 3 turns. It was almost impossible to beat Zeromus on levels below 60 on the fastest speed, and still very hard on levels 58-62. On normal speed, you'll be fine on level 55+. Though it's not just Zeromus, the other monsters also take a long time to kill and they hit you hard and fast.

Lawr
10-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Tie between FF4 ad Tactics.

Wiegraff for example I've had two friends restart the game because
of that battle, and many many other annnoying boss (even random battles
from over-training!)

Then, the mother of all f Green Hell's hell...Final Fantasy 4 Hardtype.
God there is no slack in that game. Random battles every four steps and you
have to over-train so much just for one boss and then the next would be even more
harder for more over-training. There is only two ways to buy Ethers and Elixers.
There is only one shop in the world to sell them and they are very expensive.
Elixers are a pain in the butt to buy for 120Thousand each, and then comes
Bahamut and Odin which are stronger than the last boss, and way way too fast
and powerful. Once you've beaten them you are able to summon them,
but you wasted that time proving you can beat something stronger than a
big red mass than can end the Universe countless times with a couple lightning
bolts. Then you feel wasteful after you realize you wasted time.

Waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste,
waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, spam, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste,
waste, waste, spam, waste, waste, waste, waste, waste, spam, waste, waste, waste, waste,.

childroland
11-03-2005, 09:37 PM
The hardest FF is FF1 cause it is too easy to get lost and villagers don't know anything.

rubah
11-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I can see how the nes games could be the hardest. The last dungeon of ff2 has more doors than it does treasure chests, and it's hard staying alive from most encounters anyways, so I just got to where I ignored most doors xD

of course I was playing on an emu too, so I could just reload, and I did, alot.

Chris
11-03-2005, 10:48 PM
I the hardest I ever played has to be... hmm... FFII. The dungeons are long, it's like a never ending pain.

Jowy
11-04-2005, 01:43 AM
I'm going to say FFII as well. The Death Knights in the last dungeon had their way with me, forcing me to start from the beginning of the Jade Passage way too many times.

Fire_Emblem776
11-09-2005, 03:46 AM
ff 2 i hate them dungions, so many encounters too..
tactics too.

DJZen
11-09-2005, 03:57 AM
FFII isn't that hard. XD

childroland
11-22-2005, 09:12 PM
the original FF game has got to be the hardest. I mean it is way to easy to get lost and it takes a long long time to level up.Speaking of leveling up I just got FF 1 for my dad's new computer and I plan on getting to level 5 before I fight Garland.Does anyone know what the fastest way to get there is?

Aurora_sword
11-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Final Fantasy 2
yeah, you get to face hell gigas and bombs at 3 minutes into the game.
(you have to walk in a certain path i know)

rubah
11-22-2005, 10:21 PM
FF2 has the hardest non-boss non-special enemy battle I've encountered, but ff4 was probably harder on the whole.

RaidenWeb17
11-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah my first time through FF8 i couldnt beat Ultimecia...so when i played the other FF years later I decided to go back and play FF8 and it wasnt too bad, since i had a lot more experience with FFs

TurkSlayer
11-27-2005, 10:01 PM
A lot of people seem to find Tactics difficult. I didn't find it that hard.

Now FFIV and FFVIII are hard.

DJZen
11-27-2005, 10:09 PM
I really have to say, FFIV "hardtype" isn't all that hard for me. I can beat most of the bosses without even batting an eye. The hardest encounter I've had so far is probably Plague. Wyvern only took me a couple of tries, but I didn't get stuck on him or anything. I don't even have the Adamant armor and I don't feel that I need it. Then again, I'm playing on a normal battle speed on wait mode, that might have something to do with it...

Rogue
12-04-2005, 03:07 AM
all ff games are pretty easy theres one that gave a hell of a hard time...........................final fantasy 9...............

Rogue
12-04-2005, 03:08 AM
then it got kinda easy after the 2nd disk

Slothy
12-04-2005, 02:58 PM

I actually went back and leveled up so much for that fight after getting my butt kicked a few times that I never had to spend time deliberately leveling up for the rest of the game, and it was still a bit of a tough fight. Aside from that though, Tactics wasn't that hard a game for the most part.

I'd probably give it to one of the NES FF's. I've barely played any of them really, but I have played enough to know they're hard as hell (at least early on), and it takes forever to level up in the first one.