PDA

View Full Version : >> Hideous RPGs.

black orb
10-11-2005, 06:52 PM
>>> Recently I got this game for playstation named "Beyond the Beyond".
I thought "Eternal Eyes" has earned the title of the most hideous rpg for playstation but this new game i got is 100 times more pathetic. here (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/psx/btb/reviews/btbstrev1.html) is a review if youre interested..

So, please share some titles of the most hideous rpgs you have played..

Flying Mullet
10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
FFVIII

black orb
10-11-2005, 07:07 PM
>>> I expected that.. :eep:

Ultima Shadow
10-11-2005, 07:26 PM
FFVIIIYou suck. :tongue:

Anyways... out of all the RPGs I've played, the only one I never really even got close to finish was Skies of Arcadia. And the reason is that it can't be taken seriously. No one can take that game seriously. The maincharacter is a playboy, his fellow female friend is a cheerleader... and then there's an old jerk and a shy wimp. It's simply too unserious to be an RPG.

Karl
10-11-2005, 07:43 PM
saga fronteir 2

Chris
10-11-2005, 07:47 PM
FFX-2. :cry:

Black Mage
10-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Legend of Dragoon.

Destai
10-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I thought FFV was pretty fugly.

Dreddz
10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
I thought FFV was pretty fugly.
how dare you...........
anywayz, I thought Super Mario RPG just mocked my intelligence...

Crossblades
10-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Legend of Dragoon.

Waaaaaaaa?!

That game had the best storyline. Why do you hate it?

Shadow Madness. Worst $10 I've ever spent

Dreddz
10-11-2005, 08:49 PM
SM was perfect....critics are plop

Crossblades
10-11-2005, 08:55 PM
SM was perfect....critics are plop

Oh yeah? Explain yourself

black orb
10-11-2005, 10:35 PM
saga fronteir 2
>>> How dare you.. That game was beautiful.

Flying Mullet
10-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I remember playing it for about ten minutes and turking my PS2 off. I should go back and try it again. I don't even remember why I turned it off now. xD

Chris
10-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Mullet you're pretty fly for a white bright guy. :D

Flying Mullet
10-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Did I just say I "turked" my PS2 off? xD

black orb
10-11-2005, 10:46 PM
I don't even remember why I turned it off now. xD
>>> Maybe you were not good enough for it..

edczxcvbnm
10-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Final Fantasy 6 is the worst game there is in any catagory of any type of gaming. Video or Board. Card or Quiz. FFVI takes the cake for being the most mind boggling retarded game ever.

Chris
10-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Why exactly? Just curious. :D

Destai
10-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Final Fantasy 6 is the worst game there is in any catagory of any type of gaming. Video or Board. Card or Quiz. FFVI takes the cake for being the most mind boggling retarded game ever.
FFVI is mind boggling xD?

Flying Mullet
10-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Because ed can't tie his shoes.

Necronopticous
10-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Quest 64

black orb
10-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Quest 64
>>> I have yet have to play a THQ`s game that is good, all their games suck badly..

Craig
10-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Ephemeral Fantasia.

Necronopticous
10-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Ephemeral Fantasia more like Ephemeral Fangaysia.

raskerino
10-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I mostly play mainstream rpgs so I haven't played anything truly horrible, but I can't stand KH, it had no (very little, poor) storyline, weak characters, and to top it off it had disney graphics and was a dull button masher.

kikimm
10-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Oh man, Beyond the Beyond? xDDD

I think that was my first serious RPG. And I thought it was genius. I really, really liked that game. At the time; now I've realized that is truly is a horribe, horrible game.

So I'll go with Beyond the Beyond.

nik0tine
10-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Can Rascal be considered an RPG?

Rase
10-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Quest 64

Vermachtnis
10-12-2005, 12:51 AM
Mystic Quest, everywhere else it's called Final Fantasy USA. Why do they mock us...WHY!?

Lord Chainsaw
10-12-2005, 01:57 AM
Yeah, Beyond the Beyond is pretty bad.

That development team reeks, and for some merciless reason they decided to put out more games after that. Not surprisingly, Golden Sun, made by the same guys, is almost as bad.

Destai
10-12-2005, 05:35 PM

That development team reeks, and for some merciless reason they decided to put out more games after that. Not surprisingly, Golden Sun, made by the same guys, is almost as bad.Golden sun I&II is in my opinion (And I can say this with alot of confidence) The best original RPG on the gameboy advance and a helluvalot better than most (personally Id say ALL but meh) of the RPG's remade for the gameboy. The music is actually seriously good for an RPG in general. The puzzles and gameplay (include magic outside of batle and stuff) is extremely fun. Great characters, and storyline and just all the makings of a class RPG basically. I personally dont think its anything like beyond the beyond.

Crossblades
10-12-2005, 06:56 PM

That development team reeks, and for some merciless reason they decided to put out more games after that. Not surprisingly, Golden Sun, made by the same guys, is almost as bad.Golden sun I&II is in my opinion (And I can say this with alot of confidence) The best original RPG on the gameboy advance and a helluvalot better than most (personally Id say ALL but meh) of the RPG's remade for the gameboy. The music is actually seriously good for an RPG in general. The puzzles and gameplay (include magic outside of batle and stuff) is extremely fun. Great characters, and storyline and just all the makings of a class RPG basically. I personally dont think its anything like beyond the beyond.

Yes, I agree very much :)

Lionx
10-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Mystic Quest..-_-

lordblazer
10-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Morrowind. lol got ya lol Morrowind owns all.

Anyway worse RPG will have to be I'm sorry to piss you guys off but man Radical Dreamers for the playstation just sucked. It was a crappy storyline. It was a nice escape but man the main character just sucked. Heck I liked the villians better.

Doomie
10-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Legend of Dragoon.

Oh fuck yes.

Prancing Mad
10-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Robotech for super nintendo. I hear Paladin's quest for nintendo is also bad. Legend of Dragoon was actually kinda bad. I played it through, but I don't know why. I think it's 'cause the graphics were flashy.

You know what peeves me? I hate RPGs where they just ASSUME you know where everything in the world is. You know it'll scream at you "You should go visit Azzmataz!", to which your reply after an hour of searching is," where the poop is Azzmataz!?!" only to find out it's actually in the opposie direction of where you were going. I mean can't they just say "You should go east, to Azzmataz!". I hate it when they assume you know where everything is and they don't need to tell you. Though not an RPG, Star Fox Adventures was like that, for the first few hours I played, followed by me giving up 'cause I couldn't find the stupid place.

*note: The name of the place was not Azzmataz. Any resemblance of the town dubbed as "Azzmataz" to a town either fictional or real, is purely coincidence.

Lord Chainsaw
10-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Golden sun I&II is in my opinion (And I can say this with alot of confidence) The best original RPG on the gameboy advance and a helluvalot better than most (personally Id say ALL but meh) of the RPG's remade for the gameboy. The music is actually seriously good for an RPG in general. The puzzles and gameplay (include magic outside of batle and stuff) is extremely fun. Great characters, and storyline and just all the makings of a class RPG basically. I personally dont think its anything like beyond the beyond.

Dude, you don't want to start me up on Golden Sun. I've seen some pretty bad RPGs in my day. Golden Sun doesn't stand out as the worst RPG I've ever played, but it does stand out as the worst I've ever played to ever get such recognition.

Before I get to bashing it, I'm going to have to agree with you that the music was pretty good. Don't quote me on this, but I think the composer was the same guy who did the music to Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Anyone who can compose a masterpiece such as Highbrow is automatically exempt from a knocking.

However, that's as far as I'd go with Golden Sun. It is said it is the best original RPG on the GBA, but what does it have to compete against? Nintendo doesn't really advocate RPGs. Look at the Gamecube. The only major RPG in the traditional Japanese sense of the word that comes to mind is Tales of Symphonia. Coincidentially, it is also being worshipped in the same sense as Golden Sun. Now Tales of Symphonia is a different topic altogether. I haven't finished that game yet, but from the little I've played it doesn't seem all that stellar.

But Golden Sun. The puzzles and gameplay are redundant. I'm not going to fault the game for using the Dragon Warrior battle system (although I really should). Remakes such as Phantasy Star Collection and the Breath of Fires can get away with using the monotonous turn-based systems because they are homage to the players that respected those games enough to pick them up. Golden Sun is a brand new effort. Furthermore, if after 16 years, the programmer still hasn't learned how to use an autotargetting system that Final Fantasy learned how to perfect while it was still on the NES, then we have a problem.

But it does have those Genies or Jinn, or whatever. It seems like a cool idea in theory, but the game is so painfully easy anyways, there's no point in getting technical with what class and abilites you want to use. You don't even have to deal with classes at all the master the game. If you so choose, you can simply summon whatever you have equipped in full force on the boss and take it down. That's how I killed the Kraken, supposedly one of the toughest bosses in the game.

And the puzzles. Here's my philosophy on puzzles:

If you have random battles, don't do them.

This is probably why I tolerate Lufia II, and actually enjoy its puzzles. On the other hand you take a game like Wild Arms, and you have a flat out mess when it comes to the dungeons. Golden Sun's puzzles are not as messy as Wild Arms, but they are painful due to the fact that some of the instructions aren't quite descriptive, and I get tired of puzzles with logs or log-like objects in them rather fast.

And the story. Oh, the story. I've tried to look at this from different angles. I'm very open to good video game stories. The first thing I look for is how the gameplay tells the story. The second thing I look for is how the player's immersion in the world tells the story. The third thing I look for is how the plot helps the story along. The fourth thing I look for is how the characters paint a believable and exciting story. The fifth thing, and most important, is when I take all of these elements and put them together to see how fantastic the story I'm experiencing is. That is, after all, the reason I play the game.

Not very many game creators are ingenius enough to make the gameplay tell the story. It will often help it along, but rarely will you see an instance such as ActRaiser or from what I hear, Black and White, where such is the case. So a lack of this element is a given for Golden Sun.

What about the immersion? Not much. We have Isaac, who grows up in the cliche mountain village of Vale or Vail or whatever it was called. He's on the mission or journey or something to stop the bad guys from activating four elemental doohickeys. If we're going for immersion, it helps to have an innovative scenario. It's pretty difficult to be immersed in the roll of a character we've seen thousands of times. Now that isn't to say it's impossible. It's quite possible. But you do it with plot twists, symbolisms, and gripping themes. Muting the main character in an attempt to immerse the player is simply not going to cut it.

I'm covering the plot and characters together, because of the similarities between them. That similarity being, of course, the lack of anything that could ever hope to qualify as depth. The story is simple, and we've seen it a thousand times. Of course, it is not necessary to have a complex plot to have a good plot. Many games have excellent plots with very few amounts of text. The amount of plot means absolutely nothing. If it can deliver a strong message, then it is perfectly fine. The restraints of the GBA is not an excuse for lack of plot. SNES Quintet did incredible things with plot. Moreso than many modern games. It's how you use what's given to you that makes your plot. It is true that my favorite GBA game, Breath of Fire II, does not have the greatest plot. It does deal with some serious themes. I wouldn't go as far as to call the plot stellar though. The characters ramble for half an hour like broken records in Golden Sun. They state what you must do numerous times, but the direction in the game is so bad, you're still lost. The characters are in no way developed. Final Fantasy 6, 7 years prior, in 1994, found a way to develop just about every one of it's characters. That cast of PCs was at least 3 to 4 times as large.

And finally, I must talk about this surprise ending of the first game. The truth is, I've never played the second half of Golden Sun. I refuse to call it Golden Sun II, because it is of course, just Camelot's way of ripping you off and making you pay for the second half of the game you had bought without knowledge it would be a half game.

But Xenosaga and Hack do this. Why am I upset about Golden Sun? Xenosaga and Hack are marketed as part of a series. The designers of Golden Sun got so caught up in their pretty graphics, they suddenly realized they didn't have any space to finish their game. Knowing the contents of the game were so shallow, their only hope was to reel people in without the knowledge that they'd be buying half a game.
I got to the end of the first half of Golden Sun, felt like a moron, got disgusted, and decided that was enough.

And those are the reasons I dislike Golden Sun.

Kalen
10-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Grandia. I don't know why so many people loved that game. I hated every minute of it and quit playing it around 30-40 hours.

Lionx
10-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Actually one of the worst things i felt happened in Golden Sun is this..:

First Game: Main character cannot talk

Second Game: You have a different main character, HOWEVER, despite the point that he talked alot in the previous game, he is somehow mysteriously muted in this game. But the previous game's main character whom you bump into eventually CAN TALK OMFG! <_< weak..

Dreddz
10-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Oh yeah? Explain yourself
*explains*

Meat Puppet
10-23-2005, 02:19 AM
pacman 2
good that was horrible

NeoCracker
10-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Well, there are not to many I hate. One was SoulBlazer, I mention this because it sucks. I havn't played it for a couple years so i don't really remember why it sucks, but it does.
Next is quest 64. after the first boss the game is painstakingly easy and the character and plot development suck.
And now for all you paladin quest haters, screw you. Well, not really. I have played it. It was a simple fun game, not much of a story and nothing great about it, but still a fun game.

Oh, and now the game i despise. Final Fantasy VIII. I will admit it had great graphics, but a game is much more than graphics. First off, its never a good thing when you main character runs from a room screaming at the thought of someone thinking about him when he dies. And how so many people grow to like a looser who hates them all and seems anti-humanity all together is a myserty to me. Sure they
*Spoiler*
All knew eachother since kids and have a bond, but generally people don't stay friends when there friend becomes a complete dick.
*End spoiler*
For those who didn't read the spoiler, Squall is a dick. Also he has a few to many issues he needs to see a doc about. I think he ruined about the whole game for me.

Erdrick Holmes
10-24-2005, 06:30 PM
FFVII. Games that leave plot-holes the size of Canyons are terrible.

DMKA
10-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Tales of Fantasia failed pretty hard.

Not as hard as Earthbound though.

Crossblades
10-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Tales of Fantasia failed pretty hard.

Not as hard as Earthbound though.

What you talking about? Tales of Phantasia is an awesome RPG

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-24-2005, 09:00 PM
As is Earthbound. An awesome RPG that is.

Vyk
10-24-2005, 11:14 PM
You guys do realize this is about HIDEOUS RPGs. Not HORRIBLE RPGs. As in... they're fugly. Beyond the Beyond totally gets my vote on this. The character avatars. Holy crap. Bloated masses of flesh pretending to be humans. Ugliest characters in the history of games. And I ALMOST quit playing based on that. But I gave it a chance, found very little charm in its other mechanics. Glad I merely rented it. As for the Golden Sun debate, you'd probably have to be a Camelot fan to appreciate the eccentricities of the game. The whole Shining franchise is nothing but mute heros. It's a trade mark for Chamelot games. And it's ONLY the hero. Shining Force 3 had 3 games, 3 views on the same story. You play as 3 characters. In each game you can meet the other two. They're quite talkative. But when you play as them, they're mute. Its the way RPGs were back then. Camelot just kept it going as a sort of calling card. Short stumpy big-headed characters and a mute hero. That's a Camelot game. And Camelot fans like it that way. Though I admit it is getting old and these days I like my hero to have a personality.

edczxcvbnm
10-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Why exactly? Just curious. :D

Because everything about it sucked with the exception of 2 things. Auction house music and Gau.

Because ed can't tie his shoes.

Isn't that what velcro is for?

The Last Ancient
10-25-2005, 04:49 PM
I dont if it was just me but the whole wild arms series blew chunks in my opinion. The first one was ok, but the next two basically had the exact same story. I also hated Breath of Fire 3. I really liked it for a while, but then it fell into this horrible abyss of endless puzzles and no story. I don't mind the puzzles but what the hell happened to the story. Legend of Dragoon was pretty bad too.

crashNUMBERS
10-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Lunar Legend; Decent but at the same time, grabage...

Gnostic Yevon
11-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Ephemeral Fantasia
It ran extremely slow, there was no discernable plot, and all the streets looked the same.

FFX-2
It wasn't horrible, but there were some major problems. First, there wasn't much continuity. Yuna is now a Barbie Doll essentially, who is trying to save her boyfriend (who *still* doesn't have a name). This following a game in which she never cared about her desires at all and was ready to die for other people. Wakka, after killing the final boss of the last game, can't handle ordinary monsters. Come to think of it, no characters from the previous game can do anything on their own. Then there's the whole musical thing -- why? Between that and Brother trying to get into his cousin's half skirt... well lets just say the team was reaching. The whole thing seemed sort of insulting to the idea of female gamers. It was like they think that a girl gamer wants to play dress-up, make music, and search for her boyfriend.

Suikoden IV
It has an interesting story, but between the dodgy sailing and the huge encounter rate (with boring battles), it killed the interest I had in the runes.

?????
11-03-2005, 08:49 PM
FFX-2 is easily the worst RPG I've ever played. I literally had to turn off my system to avoid retching violently.

Alixsar
11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Xenogears.

Destai
11-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Hideous RPGs. Hideous as in Ugly looking. Are there less than eight people in this thread that understand that?
Dude, you don't want to start me up on Golden Sun. I've seen some pretty bad RPGs in my day. Golden Sun doesn't stand out as the worst RPG I've ever played, but it does stand out as the worst I've ever played to ever get such recognition.

Before I get to bashing it, I'm going to have to agree with you that the music was pretty good. Don't quote me on this, but I think the composer was the same guy who did the music to Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Anyone who can compose a masterpiece such as Highbrow is automatically exempt from a knocking.

However, that's as far as I'd go with Golden Sun. It is said it is the best original RPG on the GBA, but what does it have to compete against? Nintendo doesn't really advocate RPGs. Look at the Gamecube. The only major RPG in the traditional Japanese sense of the word that comes to mind is Tales of Symphonia. Coincidentially, it is also being worshipped in the same sense as Golden Sun. Now Tales of Symphonia is a different topic altogether. I haven't finished that game yet, but from the little I've played it doesn't seem all that stellar.

But Golden Sun. The puzzles and gameplay are redundant. I'm not going to fault the game for using the Dragon Warrior battle system (although I really should). Remakes such as Phantasy Star Collection and the Breath of Fires can get away with using the monotonous turn-based systems because they are homage to the players that respected those games enough to pick them up. Golden Sun is a brand new effort. Furthermore, if after 16 years, the programmer still hasn't learned how to use an autotargetting system that Final Fantasy learned how to perfect while it was still on the NES, then we have a problem.

But it does have those Genies or Jinn, or whatever. It seems like a cool idea in theory, but the game is so painfully easy anyways, there's no point in getting technical with what class and abilites you want to use. You don't even have to deal with classes at all the master the game. If you so choose, you can simply summon whatever you have equipped in full force on the boss and take it down. That's how I killed the Kraken, supposedly one of the toughest bosses in the game.

And the puzzles. Here's my philosophy on puzzles:

If you have random battles, don't do them.

This is probably why I tolerate Lufia II, and actually enjoy its puzzles. On the other hand you take a game like Wild Arms, and you have a flat out mess when it comes to the dungeons. Golden Sun's puzzles are not as messy as Wild Arms, but they are painful due to the fact that some of the instructions aren't quite descriptive, and I get tired of puzzles with logs or log-like objects in them rather fast.

And the story. Oh, the story. I've tried to look at this from different angles. I'm very open to good video game stories. The first thing I look for is how the gameplay tells the story. The second thing I look for is how the player's immersion in the world tells the story. The third thing I look for is how the plot helps the story along. The fourth thing I look for is how the characters paint a believable and exciting story. The fifth thing, and most important, is when I take all of these elements and put them together to see how fantastic the story I'm experiencing is. That is, after all, the reason I play the game.

Not very many game creators are ingenius enough to make the gameplay tell the story. It will often help it along, but rarely will you see an instance such as ActRaiser or from what I hear, Black and White, where such is the case. So a lack of this element is a given for Golden Sun.

What about the immersion? Not much. We have Isaac, who grows up in the cliche mountain village of Vale or Vail or whatever it was called. He's on the mission or journey or something to stop the bad guys from activating four elemental doohickeys. If we're going for immersion, it helps to have an innovative scenario. It's pretty difficult to be immersed in the roll of a character we've seen thousands of times. Now that isn't to say it's impossible. It's quite possible. But you do it with plot twists, symbolisms, and gripping themes. Muting the main character in an attempt to immerse the player is simply not going to cut it.

I'm covering the plot and characters together, because of the similarities between them. That similarity being, of course, the lack of anything that could ever hope to qualify as depth. The story is simple, and we've seen it a thousand times. Of course, it is not necessary to have a complex plot to have a good plot. Many games have excellent plots with very few amounts of text. The amount of plot means absolutely nothing. If it can deliver a strong message, then it is perfectly fine. The restraints of the GBA is not an excuse for lack of plot. SNES Quintet did incredible things with plot. Moreso than many modern games. It's how you use what's given to you that makes your plot. It is true that my favorite GBA game, Breath of Fire II, does not have the greatest plot. It does deal with some serious themes. I wouldn't go as far as to call the plot stellar though. The characters ramble for half an hour like broken records in Golden Sun. They state what you must do numerous times, but the direction in the game is so bad, you're still lost. The characters are in no way developed. Final Fantasy 6, 7 years prior, in 1994, found a way to develop just about every one of it's characters. That cast of PCs was at least 3 to 4 times as large.

And finally, I must talk about this surprise ending of the first game. The truth is, I've never played the second half of Golden Sun. I refuse to call it Golden Sun II, because it is of course, just Camelot's way of ripping you off and making you pay for the second half of the game you had bought without knowledge it would be a half game.

But Xenosaga and Hack do this. Why am I upset about Golden Sun? Xenosaga and Hack are marketed as part of a series. The designers of Golden Sun got so caught up in their pretty graphics, they suddenly realized they didn't have any space to finish their game. Knowing the contents of the game were so shallow, their only hope was to reel people in without the knowledge that they'd be buying half a game.
I got to the end of the first half of Golden Sun, felt like a moron, got disgusted, and decided that was enough.

And those are the reasons I dislike Golden Sun.Im sorry, I cant go that deep into a game I played while sitting on a bus. Characters and plot may not be any Xenogears but I still dont see how to get around the game being a fun RPG and all the stuff I said before.

ffxfreak93
11-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Legend of Dragoon.

that game was cool!!:twak:

Destai
11-03-2005, 11:09 PM
that game was cool!!:twak:
oh for

Dreddz
11-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Hideous as in Ugly looking. Are there less than eight people in this thread that understand that?
Who cares .....

ffxfreak93
11-03-2005, 11:13 PM
oh for

uh.......... the storyline was good and the characters were cool and the battle system is okay and i really like the game

Destai
11-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Who cares .....I thought it was kinda obvious I found it irritating. heh guess not. Thread maker was a good bet also.

RSL
11-03-2005, 11:48 PM
People might not like FFX-2, that is understandable, but how can you say it is the ugliest RPG out there?