PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Novels

The Spirit of Aeris
10-12-2005, 07:40 PM
I wonder why there isn't any? The stories are too good not to be novelised. If you are thinking the same as me then email me. I have a plan but don't want to discuss it here as we're not allowed. And I don't want to run the risk of being banned as I love this site and want to post loads of things eventually.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Some of the Final Fantasies might make decent novels, but others wouldn't be quite as suited. There actually was a novilization of Xenogears (Xenogears Perfect Works), but for the most part games are generally in the game-only format. It's just how they choose to do things, I suppose.

edczxcvbnm
10-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Perfect Works is NOT a novelization of the game at all. It is a fact refrence book if anything. They give stats on the gears and explain a lot of time line things. Give more information on characters and it is divided up into chapters like that.

I do believe Xenogears has a novelization of sorts in 1000 Daggers but I don't know enough about that one to say for sure.

The Spirit of Aeris
10-12-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm not advertising!! It's a petition, not another Forum or anything else. Just a petition that takes a second to sign. Whereby you can forget about it and hope that it gets more signatures and when its eventually sent to Square, they will realise that there is a market for them and employ writers to adapt the games into novels. That is all I'm doing. I don't understand why you don't want me posting links to stuff like this?

edczxcvbnm
10-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Put the link in your signature. Since I can't see it, I can't click on it.

The Spirit of Aeris
10-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Done.

HunterFlamebrow
10-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Hmmm . . .

Parasite Eve was actually BASED off of a novel. And that game is what, 10 hours long? To novelize the FFs, you would have to cut a lot of description, a lot of sidequests (and often sidequests are crucial to revealing a character's personality/background), and you would have to make them actually make sense. (*coughcoughtimecompressioncough*)

DJZen
10-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Final Fantasy games wouldn't make good books.

kikimm
10-16-2005, 12:31 AM

I agree with this. They're meant to be played; even though a good portion of the game is reading, you need the visual to enjoy it. All in my opinion, but blah blah blah.

Ultima Shadow
10-16-2005, 12:55 AM
"And then, Cloud attacked phsycically with his sword, doing 848 dammage! But the boss didn't even flinch! It laughed and said: "You're such a sad creature, Cloud" and then, it did a Fire2, hitting Cloud for 1200 dammage!!! But with only 43 HP left, Cloud did his limmitbreak, slashing the boss multiple times for a total of 6345 dammage, killing the boss!!!
The victory music played as Cloud, hurt but proud left the battlefield, gaining 8000EXP and 6000gil + an X-Potion." :cool:

DJZen
10-16-2005, 12:58 AM
That's strange, I don't remember having all these bite marks all over me before... ;)

raskerino
10-16-2005, 12:59 AM
"And then, Cloud attacked phsycically with his sword, doing 848 dammage! But the boss didn't even flinch! It laughed and said: "You're such a sad creature, Cloud" and then, it did a Fire2, hitting Cloud for 1200 dammage!!! But with only 43 HP left, Cloud did his limmitbreak, slashing the boss multiple times for a total of 6345 dammage, killing the boss!!!
The victory music played as Cloud, hurt but proud left the battlefield, gaining 8000EXP and 6000gil + an X-Potion." :cool:

Wow, what amazing writing, this is the ultimate proof for a novelized version, I especially enjoyed the subtlety in the description of his slash, it gave me deep insight into the character's motives, and made me want to see how the plot would develop.:tongue:

It's wonderful games, and maybe novelized versions would be fun, but they'd be different, maybe loosely based, but a remotely direct novelization wouldn't work.

Mneme
10-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love the FF stories. But I do think they're very much in the medium where they'll show their emotional power best. If you cut out all the random battles I think many of them would be rathershort in novel form and the material a bit... simplistic? They are frought with emotion, but out of context the dialogue might end up sounding quite melodramatic as well in my opinion. Also does the novelisation of games seem like it would suffer any better a fate then the realisation of games as movies... See any of the Gabriel Knight books (written by the creator and designer of the games) to see just how wrong it can go. I loved those games, great stories... crap books.

DJZen
10-27-2005, 08:26 AM
The FF games would make horrible books for the following reasons:

1) The stories aren't really all that good. These are stories written by programmers and producers. Even the most convoluted FF plot is easily outdone by Siddartha. That's another problem, FF's answer to making a plot better seems to be "make it more incoherent". This doesn't necessarily make for a good read. If the incoherence is resolved by some sort of lengthy explanation that places all the pieces of the puzzle together, that's not so bad, but it makes you wonder why you were forced to puzzle over it for so long. The writers also have no concept of things like subtlety, wit, satire or florid language. It's a constant bombardment of overwrought caracature of the feelings that the writers are actually trying to express. This is fine for things like video games where stories aren't really the prime focus, but for books where it's the ONLY focus, it's really not so good.

2) Does the average FF fanboy REALLY have the attention span required for a book that's as long as FFVII would have to be?

If anything, a graphic novel would be good, but not books. FF games just wouldn't work as books.

rubah
10-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Ironically, in class today while we read a plot synopsis of The Three Muskateers, I was thinking how perfectly it would be fit to a video game. I could imagine little battles in my head and all xD

DJZen
10-27-2005, 11:03 PM
You should see the movie version with Micheal York if you want to be really visually amazed by the fights.

Captain Maxx Power
10-27-2005, 11:14 PM

You can, however, make very good fan fiction/extended stories using the mythos. Some major problems I'd think of would be:

- Random battles, attempting to work them in
- Sheer size, since an average FF game would probably take a LONG time to cover
- What to put in/leave out. Side-quests, magic, places, text, NPCs etc. There's very few books I've read where the characters randomly go into houses and talk to complete strangers for no paticular reason.