PDA

View Full Version : aeon battle (spoiler)

ffxatticus
10-12-2005, 10:58 PM
this is my fifth time beating ffx and each time the aeon battle gets more and more annoying. Does anyone else think it should have been an fmv?

boys from the dwarf
10-13-2005, 07:05 AM
that bit is very annoying i reckon it should just show a quick fmv with yuna summoning them then blasting them to hell with her staff or something.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
10-13-2005, 09:07 PM
i reckon she shud bust their nose with a staff then apologise to them all for the 101st time

Nifleheim7
10-14-2005, 05:18 AM
this is my fifth time beating ffx and each time the aeon battle gets more and more annoying. Does anyone else think it should have been an fmv?

I totaly agree...

HunterFlamebrow
10-15-2005, 01:13 AM
I dunno . . .

Now, I've only beaten the game once, so of course I didn't find it annoying when I first played it. But I think to change it into an FMV would take away some of the emotion.

By actually having a "real" (albeit unlosable) battle, it is emphasized how you, the player, are really killing off these people that have journeyed with you and helped you. To reduce the sequence to a mere movie would give it a sense of "well, the game made it happen. It really doesn't matter, they were all fated to die." But to kill them off in battle, just as you kill fiends? The emotion of loss is so much more intense.

To sacrifice this emotion, just for the sake of convenience, is not worth it.

Pouring Rain
10-15-2005, 01:23 AM
They should have put it in an FMV, but didn't. So they made it so that you had to fight them, to feel Yuna's sorrow of defeating them, and then defeat Yu Yevon, I guess. But um...the reason she had to summon them and then kill them, I have no idea. Cause they are all good before she summons them, and then after, these pyreflies come and they absorb them, and it says "---- Has been brainwashed by Yu Yevon." or somethin like that. The best part about it though, is that you can't die. I loved seeing that puny little angel that looks like Siren from FF8 come! We found it funny when I revived Yuna, Auron, and Wakka xD

ffxatticus
10-15-2005, 02:47 AM
1) I think they could have had more emotion if they made it fmv
2) I hated the auto-life...it was what made the battle pointless
3) If they made it fmv the summons could have changed and they could hvae showed the aeons emotions, especially Valefores because it was the first summon

HunterFlamebrow
10-16-2005, 04:28 AM
1) I think they could have had more emotion if they made it fmv
Yeah, but it seems you're talking about the characters' emotions, no? I'm saying to keep it a battle has a higher effect on the player's feeling of disbelief and loss.

2) I hated the auto-life...it was what made the battle pointless
Yeah, I agree that the auto-life was annoying. To KNOW that it in actuallity was impossible to lose made it less emotional to me, emphasizing the "this is story; it's meant to happen" aspect of the scene. I would have prefered it to be like the Jenova Life battle in FFVII (in the City of Ancients), where yeah it's possible to lose if you try, but extremely easy to win.
(In the case of the Jenova battle, you are at full health from the start of the battle, and are given an accessory -- Water Ring -- that absorbs all of her attacks. She also has quite a low defense, making all of your attacks hit for big damage. I don't know how similar circumstances could be attained in the Aeon battle, but it wouldn't be to hard to create some. Simply toning down the strength of the aeons' attacks comes to mind.)

3) If they made it fmv the summons could have changed and they could hvae showed the aeons emotions, especially Valefores because it was the first summon

My interpretation of what happened was that Yu Yevon corrupted the aeons, making them WANT to destroy Yuna and Co. So what emotions would they show, besides maybe anger? Also, keeping the aeons insensitive once again heightens the emotion of the player -- it would be much easier to kill them if it was clearer what they were feeling.

Slade
10-17-2005, 06:22 AM
Auto-life stuffed that battle up. The aeon battles probably wouldve still benn fun if there was no auto-life. Oh well. Whats done's done.

Tai-Ti
10-17-2005, 09:37 AM
i liked it, because after you destroyed each one, you saw Yuna looking sad, and each of the summonings, well, I thought of it as, the last time you would see them being summoned in the game, and last time Yuna would see them too. :D that was the outlook I took on, but the whole battle phase of it got a bit dull.

ffxfreak93
10-18-2005, 01:14 AM
having auto-life made it fun for me because it was the only battle that i didn't have to worry about losing cause everybody hates losing(most people)

Bahamut, King of Dragons
10-25-2005, 04:12 AM
I do agree that going through the process of fighting the aeons is necessary for the emotional effect, but, it didn't even feel like a fight because the aeons had the same stats as they did when you had them. Even though I guess that's more realistic, it means they hardly have any HP. Even if you didn't have auto-life, that battle is to easy to feel like a real fight. The music is sweet, though.

Dark Messenger
10-25-2005, 08:17 AM
I felt a feeling of loss in that battle... it makes me think of my hard work on I did on them. Also, since I renamed the Aeons, it's sad to see the name I chose for each of them...

It did get boring, however... the Jecht Battle was way better!

Tai-Ti
10-25-2005, 09:24 AM
I felt a feeling of loss in that battle... it makes me think of my hard work on I did on them. Also, since I renamed the Aeons, it's sad to see the name I chose for each of them...

It did get boring, however... the Jecht Battle was way better!
That's what I was trying to say :D
I think that exactly.