PDA

View Full Version : FFVI-2...my story idea.

Smlee
10-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Hey all. Long time lurker, first time writer. I'm not much of one for keeping up with forums...but you guys seem to be a decent bunch, so I've come to you for some help. For months now, I've been pulling together characters and storyline for a FF6 fanfic sequel. That isn't to say it'll ever get done, but I have some exciting ideas. And that's what brings me here (assuming this is the correct forum for this thread). I'd like to put some of my ideas out here for you guys to read over and critisize, with the intent that when I eventually write it, it'll be as good as it possibly can be. Plus, it can't hurt to make sure I have all my facts straight. No matter how many times I play through the game, I always tend to forget some of the dialogue and plot :( . Anyways. I'll provide some quick information now, and depending on the response, I'll post more later.

The story is set 18 years after Kefka's defeat. The main character of the story is Rachel Cole, daughter of Celes and Locke. The only returning characters from the first game with major roles (so far) are Relm and Sabin. The story begins in a small town on the isle of Doma, where Celes, Edgar, Gau and Relm attend the funeral of Cyan (along with a few of the new characters). The funeral is interupted by the New Empire, which has just begun an invasion of Doma. Battle is fought, and it isn't going well for the heroes until Rachel uses a magic spell, turning the tide of battle. Only problem? Magic isn't supposed to exist anymore. Rachel, along with Relm as a mentor, and a couple of new characters, are now being hunted as the sole source of magic left in the world. And that's just what I have planned for the initial chapter.

What's here is a rather basic plot. Not much background information has been provided, and certainly nothing about the characters. I have a vision in my mind as to how the 18 years between the end of the game and the start of my story. And yes, Kefka does have a hand in all this (despite being dead). So now the next step is yours. What do you guys think? Is it workable? Has it been done before? Should I continue?

Dignified Pauper
10-14-2005, 12:11 AM
1) I don't see how you can bring back magic.

2) The Empire was disbanded, and 18 years after probably isn't a realistic time for a new one to form.

3) I can't imagine Relm as 30. and she wasn't that cool in the long run

4) Who would the villain be?

5) Why Celes and Locke's child? What about one of the kids from Mobliz. The baby that Terra helped bring into the world would be a much better character.

Smlee
10-14-2005, 03:12 AM
1) I don't see how you can bring back magic.

Yeah, well, if I told you everything, there wouldn't be much of a point to write it. ;)

2) The Empire was disbanded, and 18 years after probably isn't a realistic time for a new one to form.

The New Empire is practically the reminants of the old Empire under a new leadership. The people took to the concept of a new Empire because they were desperate, and wanted to reclaim their former glory. It's quite logical, actually. And there's a bit more to the story than that...

3) I can't imagine Relm as 30. and she wasn't that cool in the long run

Yeah, Relm wasn't so cool. But I'm going to try my best to make her! And she'd be 28. :tongue:

4) Who would the villain be?

Ah...well the new emperor for one. And the one influencing him. And a new faction known as 'The Sons of Kefka'...

5) Why Celes and Locke's child? What about one of the kids from Mobliz. The baby that Terra helped bring into the world would be a much better character.

Let me just say that I needed a character born after Kefka...

abrojtm
10-14-2005, 03:40 AM
Let me just say that I needed a character born after Kefka...
Katrina and Dwain's (names?) child was born after Kefka was killed. It was born during the ending sequence.

Smlee
10-14-2005, 03:49 AM
I suppose I'll name a few of the characters, just so I don't have to keep dancing around the issue in the future...

Main character:

Rachel Cole. 16 year old daughter of Locke and Celes. Can mysteriously use magic, despite magic having disapeared with Kefka and the statues.

Secondary characters:

Edgar Jr. 15 year old son of Edgar and Terra. Teen heartthrob. Quite vain. No battle skills. An important character anyways.

Dack. 23 year old son of Biggs. Soldier of the New Empire. Aware that Terra was at least partially responsible for the death of his father.

Ororan. 33. A soldier of Doma caught up in events while guarding Cyan's body at his funeral.

Kefran. 18. One of the 'Sons of Kefka'. Running from his destiny.

Relm. 28. Lost the ability to 'Sketch' when magic disapeared. Travels the world and paints what she sees. Has a dog named Interceptor (not the same one that was in FF6. That one would have been way too old. And dead).

Other characters:

Celes. Worked in an Opera house for a few years before settling down in Jidoor with her daughter.

Locke. Married to Celes, but travel is in his blood. Spends most of his days away from home, exploring the new world.

Gau. Opened up a tailoring buisness using pelts collected on the Veldt.

Strago. Dead.

Edgar Sr. Ruler of Figaro. Married to Terra.

Setzer. Runs the colosseum. Mostly converted into a gambler's heaven.

Smlee
10-14-2005, 03:54 AM
Katrina and Dwain's (names?) child was born after Kefka was killed. It was born during the ending sequence.

Ok...well...the baby was born before magic completely disapeared from the world. As Terra was still flying around and such. To be completely honest, I forgot all about the kid.

ljkkjlcm9
10-14-2005, 04:56 AM
personally I think a sequel to FFVI is a bad idea because I feel the story was wrapped up extremely successfully...

THE JACKEL

Smlee
10-14-2005, 05:11 AM
personally I think a sequel to FFVI is a bad idea because I feel the story was wrapped up extremely successfully...

THE JACKAL

I think so too. That's one reason why I took on the challenge of writing this. Just to see if I could pull it off. :D

Chris`
10-14-2005, 05:19 AM
Hrm, interesting concept. But whats to stop the "empire" from rising again after this game? During this game, instead of fighting against a physical force, have the characters fight the principle of what the empire presents -> lust, greed, and such. Defeat the priniciple an the followers fall, this also allows your characters to have a lot more depth(just adding where they morally stand creates a huge division within the party and separates & distinguishes each character). This is very difficult to achieve, and only masters of writing can craft a complex piece as the one outlined(its in my todo list to sit down and write a novel :), not to say that this isnt possible, but it will take CAREFUL planning of thoughts, plot, characters, and the whole works. Take your time, follow through you could have a faithful successor to FFVI, slack off or dont follow through, you join the ranks of other amateur fan-fic writers.

boys from the dwarf
10-14-2005, 07:17 AM
i understand how she can use magic. shes half magitek knight half human.but that would mean that celes could use magic also.

Christmas
10-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Ah...well the new emperor for one. And the one influencing him. And a new faction known as 'The Sons of Kefka'...

Is this one anyway related to the "Cult of Kefka"?

And why not reveal something about this mysterious guy call "Siegfried" or something about Gogo since people speculated it as Daryl.

Smlee
10-14-2005, 12:58 PM
i understand how she can use magic. shes half magitek knight half human.but that would mean that celes could use magic also.

Nope. That isn't the connection.

Smlee
10-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Is this one anyway related to the "Cult of Kefka"?

And why not reveal something about this mysterious guy call "Siegfried" or something about Gogo since people speculated it as Daryl.

The 'Sons of Kefka' is litteraly that. The sons and daughters that Kefka fathered with various fanatics over a period of his year in power. I still haven't decided just how many there are...but there will be at least 2. The one with the group, and the one manipulating the emperor.

And why force something into the story about Siegfried or Gogo/Daryl when there's absolutely no reason to be visiting those characters from a storyline perspective? Sure, I could cram as many characters and plots as possible into a story...but I want it to be good don't I? And that means focus.

ljkkjlcm9
10-14-2005, 01:49 PM
don't double post Smlee, oh, any people are asking about those characters because of everything in FFVI, they're probably the only thing not really explained.

THE JACKEL

Christmas
10-14-2005, 01:55 PM
there's absolutely no reason to be visiting those characters from a storyline perspective

Siegfried and Gogo remain a mystery even after the end of FF VI. Maybe you might want to tie up some loose ends or if you see them as totally unimportant, then never mind then.

I dun think the storyline will be ruined if you link someone that is not related to the actual cast itself to the story.

They will add more colours to the story especially if you reveal Gogo as Daryl and Setzer realize it and_______ etc.

They dun necessary be the main characters or anything, like those FF crossovers in Kingdom hearts.

ThroneofDravaris
10-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Edgar Jr. 15 year old son of Edgar and Terra. Teen heartthrob. Quite vain. No battle skills. An important character anyways.

Edgar Sr. Ruler of Figaro. Married to Terra.

NO! Just...just NO!

Flying Mullet
10-14-2005, 03:42 PM
The 'Sons of Kefka' is litteraly that. The sons and daughters that Kefka fathered with various fanatics over a period of his year in power. I still haven't decided just how many there are...but there will be at least 2. The one with the group, and the one manipulating the emperor.
I don't think that wil work. It seems extremely out of character for Kefka to have slept with any of those followers. He was focused solely on absolute power in FFVI, and mortal needs and desires were beneath him. Also, I got the feeling from FFVI that Kefka was blind to the fanatics at the Fanatic's Tower and that they were worshipping Kefka out of ignorance of the situation, similar to how some religions worshipp(ed) gods to ask for a good harvest or for the sea to be calm.

Although to make the story work, rather than have the 'Sons of Kefka' be offspring of Kefka, you could have them be offspring from followers of the cult. They could be the next generation and trying to continue on their parents' ideals.

Smlee
10-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Siegfried and Gogo remain a mystery even after the end of FF VI. Maybe you might want to tie up some loose ends or if you see them as totally unimportant, then never mind then.

I dun think the storyline will be ruined if you link someone that is not related to the actual cast itself to the story.

They will add more colours to the story especially if you reveal Gogo as Daryl and Setzer realize it and_______ etc.

Well...if I were to use those characters, in that exact context...there wouldn't be much of a twist to it, would there? Plus, I'm not really planning on using Setzer, Gogo, or Siegfried at all at this point...but maybe in the future!

I don't think that wil work. It seems extremely out of character for Kefka to have slept with any of those followers. He was focused solely on absolute power in FFVI, and mortal needs and desires were beneath him. Also, I got the feeling from FFVI that Kefka was blind to the fanatics at the Fanatic's Tower and that they were worshipping Kefka out of ignorance of the situation, similar to how some religions worshipp(ed) gods to ask for a good harvest or for the sea to be calm.

Actually, it rather does work. Historically, one in power gets laid by many women. That IS a form of power after all. I kinda picture Kefka as having slept with dozens of women until he got bored of the entire concept. And I don't think he was blind to the fanatics. They were worshiping him as a god. He would have liked that. Anyways, the fact that they ARE Kefka's children plays an important role in the story. I suppose it's kinda like the Sephiroth 'kids' in Advent Children. Though I came up with this idea LOOOONG before I'd watched that.

NO! Just...just NO!

Mwa ha ha! Well, actually, in the story, Terra chose Edgar over Sabin, driving a wedge between the brothers. Another important element of the story.

Ultima Shadow
10-14-2005, 10:23 PM
The whole thing about the new empire and the emperror being influenced by someone else (member of the sons of Kefka?) seems a bit too much lika a repetation of what happened in FFVI. Maybe try something completely orginal? Meh, I don't know. :p

Smlee
10-14-2005, 10:34 PM
The whole thing about the new empire and the emperror being influenced by someone else (member of the sons of Kefka?) seems a bit too much lika a repetation of what happened in FFVI. Maybe try something completely orginal? Meh, I don't know. :p

Actually, it's more like Lord of the Rings type manipulation. If I recall correctly, in FFVI, the emperor wasn't being manipulated. Just betrayed. And I do have a twist to all of it...

Christmas
10-15-2005, 01:59 AM
...there wouldn't be much of a twist to it, would there?

Twist? But these two are the what will make the plot twist. Imagine you reveal Siegfried as General Leo or Gogo as Gestahl or anything creative. These two are pretty left open for one to unfold and twist the plot.

Actually, it rather does work. Historically, one in power gets laid by many women. That IS a form of power after all. I kinda picture Kefka as having slept with dozens of women until he got bored of the entire concept. And I don't think he was blind to the fanatics. They were worshiping him as a god. He would have liked that. Anyways, the fact that they ARE Kefka's children plays an important role in the story. I suppose it's kinda like the Sephiroth 'kids' in Advent Children. Though I came up with this idea LOOOONG before I'd watched that.

But it looks to me Kefka live all alone on his tower with the three statues and just frying towns once in a while. He enjoyed seeing people suffer more than anything else.The fanatics never went to his tower nor he ever left the tower.

And remember, Kefka is a madman. He is no regular normal minded villian.

MooGLeBoY
10-15-2005, 06:31 AM
yes, kefka was a madman, he was an experiment of the empire, that's why he was so mad, he didn't care about anything but power, and seeing how people suffer

abrojtm
10-15-2005, 06:31 AM
I hope that whenever I have kids, my first son isn't named after my wife's ex-boyfriend that she loved infinitely more than me.

Smlee
10-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Ok...since I'm planning on including this information in the first part somehow, I'll write a quick summary here. Tell me what you think.
-After Kefka, Edgar and Sabin announce their involvement in his demise. The other characters decide they want to live out of the spotlight and don't take credit.
-The former Empire lands end up practically worshiping the Figaro brothers for taking down Kefka, and vote to join the nation of Figaro.
-Being too large for one government, Edgar and Sabin flip a coin. Edgar retains control over North Figaro (encompassing everything that was Figaro) and Sabin gains control over South Figaro (the former Empire)
-Both Edgar and Sabin begin courting Terra, having fallen for her during their adventures together
-By the third year after Kefka's defeat, Edgar and Terra announce that she's pregnant and that they will be wed. Sabin takes the news hard and drops out of public view.
-Several years later, Sabin re-emerges and South Figaro cedes from North Figaro. Sabin announces the establishment of a new Empire. People accept the idea, wanting a return to their old ways and the money and power that came with it.
-Edgar spends another couple of years in negotiations with the new Empire, trying to find out what exactly drove Sabin towards this path and trying to reconcile.
-New Empire gears up for war, and so does Figaro. It's at this point that the story begins with the invasion of Doma.

ThroneofDravaris
10-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Terra is, overall, fairly asexual. It would be out of character for her to be courted in the manner that you speak of by Edgar…

Christmas
10-17-2005, 11:55 AM
I dun really think Sabin will want to be a king or a ruler based on his character in FF VI.....

ljkkjlcm9
10-17-2005, 01:44 PM
I dun really think Sabin will want to be a king or a ruler based on his character in FF VI.....
Sabin definitely wouldn't want to be, he definitely found Edgar to be a much better ruler. I could see Doma growing though and Cyan being a ruler. And a war breaking out between Edgar and Sabin over Terra, sorry but no.

Terra was trying to find love, and she did, all the kids, I doubt she'd leave them and she'd continue to live in that town...

THE JACKEL

MooGLeBoY
10-17-2005, 01:55 PM
did he mention that cyan will die?

ljkkjlcm9
10-17-2005, 04:22 PM
did he mention that cyan will die?

yeah he did
still doesn't change that I could see Cyan being a ruler

THE JACKEL

Smlee
10-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Terra is, overall, fairly asexual. It would be out of character for her to be courted in the manner that you speak of by Edgar…

I don't know where you get this. In the game, she makes it clear she wants to love and be loved. And with her being human now, she's not afraid to let people in like she was before.

Sabin definitely wouldn't want to be, he definitely found Edgar to be a much better ruler. I could see Doma growing though and Cyan being a ruler. And a war breaking out between Edgar and Sabin over Terra, sorry but no.

Yes, Edgar is the much better ruler. That's the point, really. Sabin now has control over this country, and doesn't really know what to do with it. This is why he brings in advisors...and one in particular...
As to Cyan as the ruler of Doma...no. He made it rather clear he didn't want to be in charge (unlike Sabin, who was finished running away from his responsibilities). Plus, he'll be dead by the start of the story. So it's not like I want him in a position of power anyways.

Christmas
10-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Hmmm...Why dun you trying writing it out? As others might not think the same as us and the way you express and describe things in your story do play a important role of the outcome of the story itself.

ThroneofDravaris
10-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Terra is, overall, fairly as</userdefined>exual. It would be out of character for her to be courted in the manner that you speak of by Edgar…

I don't know where you get this. In the game, she makes it clear she wants to love and be loved. And with her being human now, she's not afraid to let people in like she was before.

It is also made clear in the game that Terra isn't looking for the same kind of love that others feel. Consider the following lines:

TERRA (after her meeting with Edgar): I guess a normal girl would have found him dashing. But I’m hardly normal…

Ok, that might have been a bit of paraphrasing there, I don’t have a script on hand right now. She does say something VERY close to that though right after she first meets with Edgar. This line implies that while Terra is capable of acknowledging external beauty, she is unable to consider it in anything more than an objective state. This in itself is not simply a ‘lack of experience’ issue. Even Miranda in The Tempest feels sexual urges, despite growing to the age of 15 before ever seeing a male other than her father (‘cept Caliba, but you know…he’s Caliban!). It’s something deeper, perhaps a side effect of an Esper breading with a human, or maybe due to the many experiments that were performed on her while she under Kefka’s control.

It would have been logical to take Terra’s love issues and turn it into a relationship with another character, yet the game’s featured relationship is between Celes and Locke. Instead, Terra becomes the care taker of an orphanage, and explores love in that manner. This seems to be enough for her, and from this one can conclude that at the very least Terra has a diminished desire to enter into a sexual relationship.

So anyway, Terra is not the sort that would engage in premarital intercourse, and certainly not with Edgar.

Sasquatch
10-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Yes and no. Terra's confusion over love was partially brought on by her half-Esper side. Once Magic/Espers disappear from the world, she becomes wholely human, and can experience whatever emotions normal humans can. Whether she does develop romantic love or not, or with whom, is a matter to consider. That being said, there are many, MANY huge flaws in this story.

-After Kefka, Edgar and Sabin announce their involvement in his demise. The other characters decide they want to live out of the spotlight and don't take credit.

Wouldn't happen. Both brothers, Sabin especially, would rather keep out of the spotlight. If they got credit, they would have to share it with the other members. It's in their character. Sabin especially has too much honor and modesty for that.

-The former Empire lands end up practically worshiping the Figaro brothers for taking down Kefka, and vote to join the nation of Figaro.

A one-world government wouldn't work, anywhere. Not in real life, and not in games. Edgar would realize this, realize the threat of one huge controlling power being run by a tyrant (either at its formation, or sometime in the future, even generations down the road), and wouldn't allow it to happen.

-Being too large for one government, Edgar and Sabin flip a coin. Edgar retains control over North Figaro (encompassing everything that was Figaro) and Sabin gains control over South Figaro (the former Empire)

Sabin doesn't want to be King. They went over this. He just wants to be a regular guy, left to himself -- not put in charge of an entire kingdom, not worshipped, none of that. The coin-flip thing would be too lame, and impractical anyway.

-Both Edgar and Sabin begin courting Terra, having fallen for her during their adventures together

Ain't gonna happen. Edgar is a letch, he'd hit on anything with a hole in it. And Edgar and Sabin both have too much respect for Terra to consider a romantic relationship. Besides, through FFVI, they all developed friendships, unless otherwise mentioned (like Celes and Locke). That's the only relationship that will come of it.

-By the third year after Kefka's defeat, Edgar and Terra announce that she's pregnant and that they will be wed. Sabin takes the news hard and drops out of public view.

It wouldn't happen anyway, but if it did, Sabin would be happy for his brother. Not jealous to the point of becoming some hermit. And Terra would not only NOT get into a relationship with, well, anybody, really, she also wouldn't get pregnant before marriage, as by that time the world would have settled down and there would again be an institution of marriage, not like Dwain and Kathryn.

-Several years later, Sabin re-emerges and South Figaro cedes from North Figaro. Sabin announces the establishment of a new Empire. People accept the idea, wanting a return to their old ways and the money and power that came with it.

The brothers would not split. Sabin, an enemy of the old Empire, would not try to establish anything remotely resembling it. And the only people that liked the old Empire were the pub owners, maybe, because they always had business. That's it. They wouldn't revert back to "their old ways", because they saw firsthand what it led to.

-Edgar spends another couple of years in negotiations with the new Empire, trying to find out what exactly drove Sabin towards this path and trying to reconcile.
-New Empire gears up for war, and so does Figaro. It's at this point that the story begins with the invasion of Doma.

Not only would the brothers not split, they would never go against each other, especially in war.

As abrojtm mentioned, hopefully their daughter wouldn't be named Rachel. Either way, she wouldn't be able to use magic. Magic doesn't exist. It existed because of the Goddesses, who have been destroyed. No more Goddesses, no more Espers, no more Magicite, no more magic, period.

I'm almost surprised you don't have Relm and Gau get together, with as lame and inaccurate as the rest of it is. Sorry, buddy.

Smlee
10-19-2005, 10:46 PM
This...is very discouraging. Here I am, trying to take a logical leap past what was presented in the game. I'm not trying to simply extend the story. There is no story left to extend. I'm trying to write something new, unexpected, and far from typical. Is it really such a stretch to believe that Terra, having discovered what love is, and regaining a connection with humanity would allow herself to love someone? It is such a stretch to believe that Edgar would have...GROWN UP? Is is such a stretch to believe that Sabin would return to the throne...seeing as how he did it in the game? Is it such a stretch that Edgar and Sabin would RESPECT their friend's wishes by not naming them in Kefka's defeat? Is it such a stretch to believe that Sabin could crack under the pressure? Is it such a stretch that the brother's can get into a fight? And is it really such a stretch that magic could be revived somehow? And that I've somehow come up with a story to tell about that?
Cause y'know...if it is, I should probably fix the story up a bit. But I for one believe all of this is probable.

As a side note, I was once considering making this story into a game. Problem was, the best thing I could probably do was make a Radical Dreamers/choose your own adventure type text game. If anyone has any interest in that, perhaps I can give it a shot.

ljkkjlcm9
10-19-2005, 11:44 PM
This...is very discouraging. Here I am, trying to take a logical leap past what was presented in the game. I'm not trying to simply extend the story. There is no story left to extend. I'm trying to write something new, unexpected, and far from typical. Is it really such a stretch to believe that Terra, having discovered what love is, and regaining a connection with humanity would allow herself to love someone? It is such a stretch to believe that Edgar would have...GROWN UP? Is is such a stretch to believe that Sabin would return to the throne...seeing as how he did it in the game? Is it such a stretch that Edgar and Sabin would RESPECT their friend's wishes by not naming them in Kefka's defeat? Is it such a stretch to believe that Sabin could crack under the pressure? Is it such a stretch that the brother's can get into a fight? And is it really such a stretch that magic could be revived somehow? And that I've somehow come up with a story to tell about that?
Is it really such a stretch that all the Espers weren't destroyed, is it really such a stretch that Kefka lived, is it really such a stretch that Terra found the surviving esper, went beserk and tried to conquer the world? Is it really such a stretch that Sabin is actuall gay? Is it really such a stretch that Setzer ends up with Celes because you did the three character ending and saw that Locke didn't rescue Celes in the end, but Setzer did and he flirts with her about her big finale in the opera, hey that finale could be a sex scene with him:eek: hehe

Is it really such a stretch that Sabin adopts Gau and takes him in as his own son, especially with all the events in the game, that's more likely than half the stuff you came up with.

Is it really such a stretch that Cyan goes and marries the girl he had been writing letters to, and he rebuilds Doma? Is it really such a stretch that Mog wasn't the only surviving moogle and the moogles take over Narshe? Is it really such a stretch that Banon doesn't somehow dissapear when you get to the WoR?(I don't think what happened to him was ever explained, he was just sorta gone) Is it such a stretch that Shadow commits suicide cause he can't outrun The Reaper? Is it such a stretch that Relm paints a portrait of Kefka, making an exact duplicate that tries to conquer the world again?

All right, I don't know if I proved my point yet or not, but you can pretty much put in anything and it could be deemed possible, doesn't make it likely though

THE JACKEL

Vyk
10-20-2005, 12:40 AM
I think the main problem is Terra's character was pretty well fleshed out, and it's hard for most, especially those of us that are rather fond of her, to picture her taking this suggested path over the course of 18 years. But it is 18 years. You'd have to explain a lot of character growth. Or in Sabin's case, the reverse of that. Of course its possible he could change and turn inward and with the help of Kefka's son become an angsty puppet tyrant. But people (like me) like Sabin, and feel that we understand him, and though it is POSSIBLE, like Jackal said, it's not all that probable. Same with the Terra scenario. She'd start a village built on helping orphans survive. That's not to say Edgar and Sabin couldn't visit constantly to court her. Its also not unlikely that she could be very not used to being wholely human and get caught up in her newfound emotions and stuff. But again, people like her, saw her character clearly and watched it develop. We can't picture her being like that. Though certainly she might be tempted time and again, she's not stupid. Her age, wisdom, and life experience and obligations would guide her, and she'd be a lot more likely to listen to her morals than her hormones. But again, everything is possible. But good luck fleshing out the circumstances that'd have to happen to make it all come about :D

Sasquatch
10-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Cause y'know...if it is, I should probably fix the story up a bit. But I for one believe all of this is probable.

Maybe one of these would be believable. Maybe. All of them, no. Yes, they ARE really such a stretch to not believe when the entire process of FFVI shows us everything AGAINST what your new ideas are. The same stretch would have to occur to make John McClain into a hippie. Or Riggs and Murtaugh into gay lovers.

Smlee
10-20-2005, 01:50 AM
Ok. The main problem I seem to be faced with right now seems to be that nobody wants to see their favorite characters change in any way from what was in the game. Unfortunately, I was trying to treat them as real as possible. Human nature dictates that all scenarios I've presented are not only possible, but have precedent in life. Logic says that people change over time. Things happen. That's life. And from what I see, some people would rather I type up the script to FF6 than come up with something new.

All right, I don't know if I proved my point yet or not, but you can pretty much put in anything and it could be deemed possible, doesn't make it likely though

Hah. Thanks for the laugh. And I suppose you proved your point. Except that what I typed up was logical, and a very small leap forward from what was presented in the games. Aside for Sabin being gay and Moogles taking over Narshe, there wasn't much substance to back up those rather large leaps.

On another side note, I thought I'd give the text game a try. I've got some time next week, and the prospect of the programming nightmare I'm about to get myself into is kinda exciting to me. I'm going to try working out some sort of battle engine first. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

ljkkjlcm9
10-20-2005, 01:57 AM
Ok. The main problem I seem to be faced with right now seems to be that nobody wants to see their favorite characters change in any way from what was in the game. Unfortunately, I was trying to treat them as real as possible. Human nature dictates that all scenarios I've presented are not only possible, but have precedent in life. Logic says that people change over time. Things happen. That's life. And from what I see, some people would rather I type up the script to FF6 than come up with something new.

Hah. Thanks for the laugh. And I suppose you proved your point. Except that what I typed up was logical, and a very small leap forward from what was presented in the games. Aside for Sabin being g</>ay and Moogles taking over Narshe, there wasn't much substance to back up those rather large leaps.

On another side note, I thought I'd give the text game a try. I've got some time next week, and the prospect of the programming nightmare I'm about to get myself into is kinda exciting to me. I'm going to try working out some sort of battle engine first. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

uhm actually I consider those two of my largest leaps, Kefka surviving isn't a large leap, he's a final boss they survive for sequels all the time, Celes and Setzer also possible if you saw the 3 character ending, Cyan going to the letter girl, why isn't that possible? AND WHY DOES BANON DISSAPEAR?

those aren't exactly huge stretches either buddy, and actually, for as long as I have known people, and as long as my parents have known people, yeah people change, but the core of them doesn't the things central to you don't, so yeah, don't try arguing that, you know it's true

THE JACKEL

Smlee
10-20-2005, 02:35 AM
uhm actually I consider those two of my largest leaps, Kefka surviving isn't a large leap, he's a final boss they survive for sequels all the time, Celes and Setzer also possible if you saw the 3 character ending, Cyan going to the letter girl, why isn't that possible? AND WHY DOES BANON DISSAPEAR?

those aren't exactly huge stretches either buddy, and actually, for as long as I have known people, and as long as my parents have known people, yeah people change, but the core of them doesn't the things central to you don't, so yeah, don't try arguing that, you know it's true

THE JACKAL

Yes, well, in my vision of the story, Kefka's dead, the ending was the one with all the characters, Cyan stays loyal to his dead family, and Banon dissapeared because he was in the capital when it dissapeared (and was most likely used to build Kefka's Tower).

And if you want an example on how people change, my father and his brother used to be close. After his brother got married, they don't talk to eachother anymore, and his brother hates him. If that's not a 360 in personality (due to manipulation and such), I don't know what is.

And I suppose it's also true that nobody ever suffers a breakdown. I guess all those mental institutions are just cover for alien experiments or something. And yes, that was sarcasm.

And I was joking about the part where Sabin's gay. The moogle stuff isn't farfetched though. And practically right on the money with something I have planned.

ljkkjlcm9
10-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Yes, well, in my vision of the story, Kefka's dead, the ending was the one with all the characters, Cyan stays loyal to his dead family, and Banon dissapeared because he was in the capital when it dissapeared (and was most likely used to build Kefka's Tower).

And if you want an example on how people change, my father and his brother used to be close. After his brother got married, they don't talk to eachother anymore, and his brother hates him. If that's not a 360 in personality (due to manipulation and such), I don't know what is.

And I suppose it's also true that nobody ever suffers a breakdown. I guess all those mental institutions are just cover for alien experiments or something. And yes, that was sarcasm.

And I was joking about the part where Sabin's g</>ay. The moogle stuff isn't farfetched though. And practically right on the money with something I have planned.
trust my, your uncle didn't change, having a wife control you is not changing, I guarantee they'd still be in touch and close if they could be.... Yeah people suffer breakdowns, in fact I have just this year, but it doesn't completely change WHO YOU ARE. Just because your Dad and uncle don't talk it doesn't change who they are as a person

OK, in your version of the story, but you know, it's your version and of course people are going to disagree with things you say, so don't get upset when people do. I'm not telling you not to make whatever screwy story you want, go ahead, just know that no matter how great something is, somebody, somewhere will hate it, it's a simple fact.

THE JACKEL

Prancing Mad
10-20-2005, 12:53 PM
As a suggestion, perhaps you might want to elaborate on a lesser known character in the story. If you plan to do all this. It could work, but what you'll need to do is show that character development that happened in the middle. Between the 18 years of stuff. A lot of things will have had to have happened to lead many of these characters to such extreme desperate measures. I also disagree with what you've suggested as happening. But, if I knew what led them to such measures, maybe I would.

Cyan becoming the leader of a new Doma is VERY likely. In fact, I wouldn't have been surprised if that was in the real ending. I might remind some people, that Sabin and Edgar weren't (although they were shown this way) that close. I mean hey, Sabin and Edgar hadn't seen each other for years. I'm sure they could (provided there was an extremely good manipulator) turn on each other. The game would HAVE to show how this happens. And it would have to show it slowly and logically so that people could grasp it. It's not WHAT happens that's important in a story, it's how it happens. It's just got to be consistent with their specific character flaws. And although these things are plausible, they're not consistent with the characters we know. Over the years, this could change, but you would have to show that.

Sasquatch
10-20-2005, 04:23 PM
How can Sabin and Edgar be shown as close, but not be? How can they not be close, but Edgar knows Sabin's favorite tea, china, flowers, etc.? Remember the coin Celes flipped to get Setzer to help her -- it was the same coin Edgar flipped to let Sabin leave, because he knew Sabin didn't want to stay. They're pretty close.

Smlee
10-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Ok...time for an update.
I've been giving the game thing a try, but for the moment, my efforts have only managed to produce a means to generate and update character status. So...if I want to proceed with this, I'm going to need some more time, and perhaps some more knowledge. I'll keep trying, but in the meantime, I'm still working on the story.

So I figured out the problem to the Sabin story. I'm assuming you've played FF9 when I say this, so...Remember how Garnet would again and again mention in the story that her mother used to be so kind and not evil? And then Kuja came along and she changed? This is kind of what I'm going for with Sabin. Sure, he used to be all kind and not evil...but due to outside influences (probably helped by his emotional state) he changed.

I've also been trying to flesh out the middle of my story (as I have an end in mind, but how to get there...not so much). I've developed a few...'bosses' I suppose you'd call em. I'll list two of em. Tell me what you think.

???? - Currently unnamed son of Vargas. Never actually met his father, as he was the product of a one night stand. Apprenticed himself to Sabin, and much like his father, became jealous of the power Sabin held. Bides his time under Sabin's control until a time he can wrest power for himself.

Ultron - Son of Ultros. What would a sequel to FF6 be without representation by the octopus race? Wants to kill Relm and Setzer for their roles in the slaying of his father when they shut down the colloseum. As Setzer is too well protected in his casino, Ultron spends his days hunting for Relm.

And of course, I'm trying to figure out a way to have the group encounter the Doom Train and a Weapon.