PDA

View Full Version : Trying to learn Japanese

Blue-Fire
10-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Hiya, I'm tryin' to learn some Japanese and was wonderin' if you peoples could give me some Japanese words and meanings.
PLEASE!!!!! And no curse words, please...^^;

GooeyToast
10-14-2005, 10:06 PM
ichi = one

Skarr
10-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Hiya, I'm tryin' to learn some Japanese

Good luck with that.

DK
10-14-2005, 10:08 PM
All you'll ever need is "Oshiri Kash<b></b>ite?" :D?

Tama2
10-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Jump in #eoff. use a !j2e or !e2j then tada.

But here are some against = /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifa (curse you filter)
tama = soul
kamiko = paper garment

Psychotic
10-14-2005, 10:18 PM
The only word you will ever need:

Seishinijousha = Psychotic.

rubah
10-14-2005, 10:44 PM
watashi - I
neko- cat
kokoro- heart

I wrote down a lot once, but I don't remember them all.

Listen and learn to sing some j-rock songs. It makes it fun.

Chaos
10-14-2005, 11:37 PM
I recommend getting a basic 'teach yourself' language book, a dictionary and a whole lotta willpower.

My friend is attempting to teach herself it and she says its hard trying to learn all the alphabet.

Good luck!

Chaos

Rengori
10-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Half of the Japanese words I know probably aren't suitable for these forums, and since I learned about 20 new rude words, that'll knock it up to about 3/4 of the Japanese words I know.

Anyway, if you buy all the Shonen Jumps that have come out so far, and keep doing so until it ends, you'll probably learn a lot.

Jinpachi Mishima
10-15-2005, 02:02 AM
I have Pimsleur Learn Japanese CD's, there's about 20 in all.

Let's start...

Aigogo wa kari masu ka? Do you speak English? *pronounced Ay-go-go wakari mas ka*

Watashi wa Nihongogo skorshi wa kari masu. I only understand a little Japanese. *pronounced watashi wa nihongogo shosh wakarimas*

Until next time...

Blue-Fire
10-15-2005, 02:34 AM
arigato(yes, i know a few words) peoples!thanks for the words! geez, its hard learning japanese...

Rye
10-15-2005, 02:36 AM
The only japanese phrase I know besides "Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto" is inappropriate for here and is probably very ghetto Japanese, so I won't bother posting it. xD

Good luck with learning Japanese! I've always wanted to learn myself, but I'm not very good with languages. :)

Jinpachi Mishima
10-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Lesson 2...

Ikaga desu ka? How are you feeling? *pronounced Ee-kaga deska?*

Genki desu, okage samade. I'm fine, thanks for asking. *pronounced genkee des, o-kagi samade*

:D

Blue-Fire
10-15-2005, 02:41 AM
i'm not good with languages either, Rye.and thanks to both of ya

xtreme112
10-15-2005, 02:46 AM
watashi wa...omoite niwa naranaisa - I won't become a memory, or something like that, quoted from FF:AC's Sephiroth's last words
my friend and I are learning chinese at school, but we've decided we're gonna learn japanese and then sit around in class reciting Advent Children, it's funny coz it's so weird

Blue-Fire
10-15-2005, 02:50 AM
arigato!
btw---does anyone know what "kagome" means? i know what "inuyasha","sango","miroku","naraku", and "inuyasha" mean. but not "kagome"...(yes, i watch inuyasha)

Doomie
10-15-2005, 02:50 AM
I may be some stick in the butt for saying this, but I say you go buy a book or something.

Blue-Fire
10-15-2005, 02:53 AM
trust me, i've tried. i cant find any

Marshall Banana
10-15-2005, 03:20 AM
kumo - cloud(s)
kimochi - feeling(s)
yuki - snow
ame - rain
subete - all/everything
nanimo - nothing

It might be best to start by memorizing the basics, like numbers, colors, etc., though.

btw---does anyone know what "kagome" means? i know what "inuyasha","sango","miroku","naraku", and "inuyasha" mean. but not "kagome"...(yes, i watch inuyasha)
woven-bamboo pattern? XD
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?9U is a useful site for looking up Japanese words.

Blue-Fire
10-15-2005, 03:36 AM
arigato. i know up to ten in #s and "cat" and "dog" for animals. i also know baka...^^(my fav. word)

Tai-Ti
10-15-2005, 03:58 AM
i know what Pen is!....Pen! I wanna learn it, cause it would just make so many things easyer! Well, it would in my life.
I wanna know wat Hikari means, I COULD look it up, but.........I'm lazy! I just hear is used quite a bit.

Calliope
10-15-2005, 04:00 AM
Clearly, you want to read all the anime and play all the video games you can get your hands on.

I don't think you want to loiter around the interweb, I think you need to loiter around a bookshop/school/something.

This vaguely makes me want to switch majors back.

Shlup
10-15-2005, 04:01 AM
"Chin chin" means mom.

Necronopticous
10-15-2005, 04:40 AM
The only phrase you will ever need to get around in Japan is <I>"furenchi furai wa tabitaidesu."</I>

Or if you want to be inquisitive: <I>"furenchi furai wa tabitaidesu ka?"</I>

And for the word of the day: chikubi = <I>man brewing fresh coffee</I>

As used in the question "Where is the man brewing fresh coffee?" or <I>"chikubi wa dokodesu ka?"</I>

Jinpachi Mishima
10-15-2005, 04:53 AM
The only phrase you will ever need to get around in Japan is <I>"furenchi furai wa tabitaidesu."</I>

Or if you want to be inquisitive: <I>"furenchi furai wa tabitaidesu ka?"</I>

And for the word of the day: chikubi = <I>man brewing fresh coffee</I>

As used in the question "Where is the man brewing fresh coffee?" or <I>"chikubi wa dokodesu ka?"</I>
That, or "Aigogo wakari masu ka?" Do you speak English?

Leene
10-15-2005, 09:37 AM
:save:i think
taremo=noone
kaza=mother
arigato=thanks
gomme=sorry
nani=what
tadaimas=i am home
tabaka=silly:save:

Monster Hunt
10-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Well... I'm half japanese and luckly i'm able to speak japanese fluently so I also know grammar so you ask me what you want to learn! :D

rubah
10-15-2005, 05:25 PM
oh xD

ai- love
aisuru- to love

KoShiatar
10-15-2005, 08:57 PM
If you want me to, I could teach you how to write Japanese using Windows. No joke.

Hawkeye
10-15-2005, 08:58 PM
banzai!

crono_logical
10-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Some of the incorrect things said in this thread makes this kao cry :kaocry:

rubah
10-15-2005, 09:34 PM
kao= face

xD

Swordicanus
10-16-2005, 12:46 AM
Hiya, I'm tryin' to learn some Japanese and was wonderin' if you peoples could give me some Japanese words and meanings.
PLEASE!!!!! And no curse words, please...^^;

Good luck

Dr Unne
10-16-2005, 12:56 AM
boku no atama wa chiizu da yo ("My head is cheese, I tells ya.")

If you're serious about wanting to learn Japanese, take some classes. Learning a language is hard, even with classes. It's next to impossible without them. Especially learning Japanese, for an English speaker.

Neco Arc
10-16-2005, 12:58 AM
nani? - what?
okassan - mother
ottosan - father

Ara, anta no kami suki da yo. - Ooh, I like your hair.

Cool ni kimetaro? - Wasn't that cool?

O-ya-su-mi! - Good night!

Naande katen ka naa... - Why can't I win...

Yo, dateotoko. - Hey, dude.

Koko wa doko? - Where am I?

Yaarujan! - You're pretty good!

Ore... tobeteru? - Am I... flying?

Netena! - Go to sleep!

Yotto...! - Oof!

Ore no gimon wa futatsu. Kono jidai no onna no ko wa nande konna ni
tsuyoi no ka tte koto, mou hitotsu, kimi wa honto ni ryourijin ka?

- I've got two questions. First, are all the women in this age this strong, and second, are you really a chef?

These quotes are from a japanese game hence the translation might be inaccurate but i gave it a go...

kikimm
10-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Omae wa mo shinderu.

Rye
10-16-2005, 01:13 AM
"Chin chin" means mom.

Which is funny, because just "chin" is slang for a part of the male anatomy. :p That "I Am a Japanese School Teacher (http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html)" website that Azreal runs has taught me so much about Japanese culture. xD

Rinoa_Heartillly
10-16-2005, 09:39 AM
noisy =yakamasii
theme = tema
vinyl = biniru
urgent = shikyu
to translate = hon-yaku suru

I thought about learning the language, but I like Korean better.

Shlup
10-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Which is funny, because just "chin" is slang for a part of the male anatomy. :p
Shhhh!!!

Lady Selphie
10-16-2005, 04:22 PM
I notice that letter L pronounced in R. For instance, Link, from Zelda Called, Rinku. Read these Pages that will help you how to write in Japanese and Good Luck:)
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/756/hiraa8tk.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7610/hiraha8ke.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4658/hiraka2be.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2864/hirama2jz.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4310/hirana0lk.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1975/hirara4qe.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3141/hirasa7jm.jpg

Slothy
10-16-2005, 04:27 PM
I took a Japanese course about five years ago. The only thing I remember that's fit for forum viewing is "mo ichido onegaishimasu". I may be off on the spelling, but it means could you repeat that. I used that one a lot.

HunterFlamebrow
10-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Here are some words and phrases from Japanese I know from video gaming! See, it is educational!

Sora = sky
Hikari = light
Suteki da na = Isn't it wonderful?

Hmm, I thought I could come up with more than that, but I guess not. :(
So much for learning the Japanese language through complete mastery of Square-produced products. *shrugs*

Blue-Fire
10-17-2005, 12:32 AM
"Suteki Da Ne"!?!?!?! i love that song!!! anyways...thanks everyone. um...lets see---people who suggested classes---there arent any around here. peoples who have links---thanks, i'll go to 'em whenever i can. the peoples that can speak japanese---i want know know every word in japanese! person who can write japanese on the computer or w/e---good for you...teach me please^^. um...and sorry the incorrect words made you cry...w/e the words were.
ok, well i think thats everyone...thanks again!
~*Blue-Fire*~

rubah
10-17-2005, 01:50 AM
If you want to be able to type japanese characters, download the Japanese IME (input-method editor) from microsoft:P
ぁ ぁ ぁ 
(la la la)
(that was awful)

WildRaubtier
10-17-2005, 02:19 AM
わたしわけんたです

Vaprice
10-17-2005, 02:52 AM
光 (히카리)

ビルのすき間で気づかれずに 咲いていた名もない花
비루노 스키마데 키즈카레즈니 사이테이타 나모나이 하나
빌딩의 틈에서 눈치채지 못하게 피어있던 이름도 없는 꽃

今年も季節が巡っては 白い雪舞い降りる
코토시모 키세츠가 메굿테와 시로이 유키 마이오리루
올해도 계절이 돌아와 흰 눈이 춤추듯 떨어져내려

いつまでも空を見上げ続けてた
이츠마데모 소라오 미아게 츠즈케테타
언제까지나 하늘을 계속 올려다보았어

揺れる木漏れ日探していた 
유레루 코모레비 사가시테타
흔들리는 나뭇잎 사이로 비치는 햇빛을 찾고 있었어

手を伸ばすほど切なくて
테오 노바스 호도 세츠나쿠테
손을 뻗을 수록 안타까워서

震える夢を包むように 優しい風が吹き抜ける
후루에루 유메오 츠츠무요-니 야사시이 카제가 후키누케루
떨리는 꿈을 감싸안듯이 다정한 바람이 스쳐지나가

生まれた訳さえ分からずに ざわめきに埋もれてる
우마레타 와케사에 와카라즈니 자와메키니 우모레테루
태어난 이유마저 모른 채 웅성거림속에 파묻히고 있어

このまま枯れゆく定めだと 知りながらも信じてた
코노마마 카레유쿠 사다메타도 시리나가라모 신지테타
이대로 시들어가게 될 운명이란걸 알면서도 믿었어

誰かが両手をそっと差し伸べた
다레카가 료-테오 솟토 사시노베타
누군가가 양손을 살며시 내밀었어

あふれる涙こぼれるほどに 輝く明日が待っている
아후레루 나미다 코보레루 호도니 카가야쿠 아스가 맛테이루
넘치는 눈물이 흘러넘칠 정도로 빛나는 내일이 기다리고 있어

諦めながら生きてくよりも 信じることで救われる
아키라메나가라 이키테쿠요리모 신지루 코토데 츠쿠와레루
단념하며 살아가는 것 보다도 믿는 것으로 구원받아

生まれた奇跡誇れるように どんな過去でも抱きしめる
우마레타 키세키 호코레루요-니 돈나 카코데모 다키시메루
생겨난 기적을 자랑할 수 있도록 어떤 과거라도 꼭 껴안아

雲のすき間が広がるように 心の迷い晴れてゆく
쿠모노 스키마가 히로가루요-니 코코로노 마요이 하레테유쿠
구름의 틈이 넓어지는것 처럼 마음의 방황도 개어가

揺れる木漏れ日探していた 
유레루 코모레비 사가시테타
흔들리는 나뭇잎 사이로 비치는 햇빛을 찾고 있었어

手を伸ばすほど切なくて
테오 노바스 호도 세츠나쿠테
손을 뻗을 수록 안타까워서

震える夢を包むように 優しい風が吹き抜ける Yeah
후루에루 유메오 츠츠무요-니 야사시이 카제가 후키누케루 Yeah
떨리는 꿈을 감싸안듯이 다정한 바람이 스쳐지나가 Yeah

Blue-Fire
10-21-2005, 06:14 PM
hm...why are there so many squares???and thanks,rubah

Chemical
10-21-2005, 06:57 PM
In the case of Watashi, be careful.

Watashi - I (feminin)
Boku - I (masculin)

Watashi/Boku wa (name) desu
My name is.....

Ohayao Gozaimasu
Good morning

Moskoshi
A little more

Nihango
Japanese

Donno O bangowa?
What is your number?

Yeah. I took Japanese for a year... but that and counting is all I really recall.
You should know that there are 4 different alphabets for the Japanese.

Romaji - the only one you'll be able to read at this point because it uses (roman) english characters (ie... a,b,c,d,e...)
Hiragana - Most common... like: あ etc...
Katakana - I believe this is the alphabet used for foreign words...like (American) etc... though it's all symbols.
Kanji- Appropriates Chinese symbols for words instead having to use the longer hiragana alphabet.

They don't have many individual letters It's all:

ha, hi, hu, he, ho
sa, shi, su, se, so
ta, chi, tsu, te, to
ma, mi, mu, me, mo

...etc. etc. so... for instance.

ne - ko (two syllabals, two symbols) to make the word "cat."

Yeah, and katakana is also a symbol based alphabet foreign to english.... it's probably one of the easiest ways to point out japanese.

Aside from the alphabets the Japanese rely on the Chinese symbols for full words. so one symbol will be moon... another symbol will be school... this is to avoid much longer and complicated looking sentances.

...And I'm tapped.

Oh:

あ a い i う u え e お o
か ka き ki く ku け ke こ ko
さ sa し shi す su せ se そ so
た ta ち chi つ tsu て te と to
な na に ni ぬ nu ね ne の no
は ha* ひ hi ふ fu へ he ほ ho
ま ma み mi む mu め me も mo
や ya ゆ yu よ yo
ら ra り ri る ru れ re ろ ro
わ wa を wo
ん n
が ga ぎ gi ぐ gu げ ge ご go
ざ za じ ji ず zu ぜ ze ぞ zo
だ da ぢ ji づ zu で de ど do
ば ba び bi ぶ bu べ be ぼ bo
ぱ pa ぴ pi ぷ pu ぺ pe ぽ po
きゃ kya きゅ kyu きょ kyo
しゃ sha しゅ shu しょ sho
ちゃ cha ちゅ chu ちょ cho
にゃ nya にゅ nyu にょ nyo
ひゃ hya ひゅ hyu ひょ hyo
みゃ mya みゅ myu みょ myo
りゃ rya りゅ ryu りょ ryo
ぎゃ gya ぎゅ gyu ぎょ gyo
じゃ ja じゅ ju じょ jo
ぢゃ ja ぢゅ ju ぢょ jo
びゃ bya びゅ byu びょ byo
ぴゃ pya ぴゅ pyu ぴょpyo
(Hiragana Alphabet ^)

So, by cleverly using this alphabet you can decipher stuff.
IE.

quote: CBC
わたしわけんたです
= watashu wa kenta desu

(though really.. he should have said)
ぼくわけんたです

Blue-Fire
10-21-2005, 07:47 PM
uh...huh....my brain hurts now...

Rinoa_Heartillly
10-21-2005, 10:11 PM
If you want to be able to type japanese characters, download the Japanese IME (input-method editor) from microsoft:P
ぁ ぁ ぁ 
(la la la)
(that was awful)

Actually that hiragana character is pronounced, "A" or "Ah"

The easiest way to learn Japanese is to hear loads of music of Japanese and read the lyrics kanji as you listen to get fimilar with it. Also, buy programs that teach, and books too. That's the way I sorta learned it. ^^;

Yooniece
10-21-2005, 10:34 PM
You may want to take a class. If you have the passion for it, you can take a lot away from learning from a Japanese teacher. I'm part Japanese, raised with first generation parents, and it still took Japanese classes to make me fluent. It's too intricate and complex a language to learn to read/write/speak on a forum. Nihongo no benkyou wa muzukashii da... ganbatte yo =)

Blue-Fire
10-22-2005, 03:15 AM
uh huh...well, i CANT take classes b/c there are none around here.and i already used books and tapes and they didnt work...well, they kinda worked. i only learned how to say "excuse me" out of 9 tapes! so, those suggestions wont work. thanks anyways

oceanfr
10-22-2005, 04:14 AM
its hard, keep listening to stuff yea, and try Maktos

Rengori
10-22-2005, 05:15 AM
Try watching anime in Japanese with English subtitles. You can figure out a lot of stuff by picking it apart and then separating it.

oceanfr
10-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Na anime is not so good for learning, if you want to learn watch JDrama or variety shows, as its a good way to figure out sentence pacing and pronunciation, since guests on variety shows speak informally and realistically. Though picking up a manga would be helpful as well.

Monster Hunt
10-22-2005, 10:25 AM
quote: CBC
わたしわけんたです
= watashu wa kenta desu

(though really.. he should have said)
ぼくわけんたです

Yep that's right except for the "wa" for some reason you use a "ha" (は) instead . There's other stuff that's like that too. apart from that Chemical covered it all! :D

ScottNUMBERS
10-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Quen = Cannot eat

Quinas name is a japanease play on words too but I forgot what it means.

Chemical
10-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Yep that's right except for the "wa" for some reason you use a "ha" (は) instead . There's other stuff that's like that too. apart from that Chemical covered it all! :D

Really? Why's that? It always sounds like wa, atleast.

By the way. I was eating sushi today and on my sticks it said:

atemoto

What does that mean?

"Good eats" ?

Blue-Fire
10-22-2005, 08:31 PM
uh...huh...

Social Moon Firesky
10-23-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm learning Japanese too! Believe me, having a tutor makes everything so much easier!

Ohayo = Good morning. (If you're being polite, add 'gozaimasu' on the end) *Pronounced 'go-zai-mass'*

Konnichiwa = Hello/Good day. *Kon-neechee-wa*

Kombanwa = Good evening. *Kom-ban-wa*

Watashi wa <Your name> desu = My name is... (If you're a boy, you can say 'boku' instead of 'watashi', or if you're a girl, you can say 'atashi' instead. I say 'atashi') *Wa-ta-shee-wa- <Your name> -dess*

Nandemo tabemasu = I eat everything. (I found this incredibly useful when I went to Japan) *Nan-deh-mo-ta-beh-mass*

Meat Puppet
10-23-2005, 12:54 PM
while hiya in enlgish is a cheerful greeting, in japanese it means you are about to get your ass kicked

Blue-Fire
10-23-2005, 11:47 PM
while hiya in enlgish is a cheerful greeting, in japanese it means you are about to get your ass kicked
hahahahahahaha...guess i wont use that in Japan!

Rengori
10-24-2005, 02:53 AM
It's HIYAAAAAA! And it's more like you're about to get face kicked.

HighSorceressDelial
10-24-2005, 02:59 AM
....I second the crying.

A forum is probably one of the worst places to learn another language because you only get a basic collection of things that people have learned or assumed, while half of it is wrong.

Although I must disagree with what people keep saying, I think learning Japanese is really easy, it just depends on how you do it. If you can't take a class and are having trouble finding books, go to someplace like e-bay or amazon.com and search for books and interactive computer games. Online you can find a hiragana and katakana chart here:http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~elucas/japanese/japanese_chart.pdf It's one of the best ones I've found so far. There's also a lot of sites that can teach you the brush strokes, and quiz you on both hiragana and katakana. You'll have to learn them eventually, so it's always good to at least be framilar with them.

But I mean, it's kind of pointless if you're not going to take it seriously. If you really want to learn you'll have to study almost every day for a very long period of time. When I first started teaching myself, I completely surrounded myself with the language and writing. For example, instead of listening to music in english, I listened to it in Japanese (meaning days/weeks/months on end of only Japanese), on top of getting lots of videos and interviews with Japanese people interacting. I also bought a lot of manga so I could start practicing reading it. And then I got books/tapes/games, and eventually, I was able to start classes (which I'm currently in). It's easy, but only if you put enough work into it.

~Delial:choc:

Blue-Fire
10-24-2005, 03:02 AM
trust me, i'm studying as much as i can.thanks for the site, too!

StarlightAngel
10-24-2005, 03:31 AM
Haiaku-Hurry/quickly
Tsubasa-wing(s?)
Souka-I see
Hai-yes
Oni-Demon/ogre
Kaze-wind

yay for random words that probably aren't right! :)

Dark Magic User
10-24-2005, 08:34 PM
ichi - one
ni - two
san - three
konichiwa - hello
sayonara - bye
sakura - cherry blossom
neko - cat
inu - dog
arigato - thank you
oyasami nasai - good night

here some of the words i have! and good luck!

Blue-Fire
10-24-2005, 09:17 PM
thanks!