PDA

View Full Version : Body Fat

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-16-2005, 01:50 AM
Anybody know some things I could do to reduce my body fat %age?
I need to lose about 10%

DMKA
10-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Eat very little, drink nothing but water, and run alot. Keep that up for about three weeks and you should lose about 14%.

Miriel
10-16-2005, 02:34 AM
Don't do the eat very little thing. If you eat less than 1000 calories a day, your metabolism will slow down. Keep between 1300-1500 calories, eating small meals 5 or 6 times a day.

Always always always eat breakfast.

Drink tons of water. People often confuse thirst for hunger and end up eating when they should be drinking. Plus, drinking a lot of water boosts metabolism and fills you up to a certain extent.

Exercise at least 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes. Running is a great exercise, run a few miles a week and you should be able to drop pounds fairly quickly. Just remember, if you overdo it and lose more than 2 pounds a week, you're losing muscle, not just fat.

Also, keep away from soda.

nik0tine
10-16-2005, 02:40 AM
I'm with DMKA on the eat very little thing. In fact, some days you could just starve yourself. Your metabolism may slow down, but when you start eating again, just wean yourself back onto food. You shouldn't gain back too much weight. Also, if, by not eating, your stomach hurts, go to sleep.

Samuraid
10-16-2005, 02:42 AM
Exercise remains the best way to lose weight.

10-16-2005, 03:07 AM
I work out monday-thursday lifting weights. I am going to start running 3 miles after every work out. On week days I eat a breakfast bagel (bagel egg and sausage) a salad for lunch, and bologna sandwich for dinner. somehtimes the sandwich is substituted for steak or something else my mom makes for dinner.

I am doing this for wrestling. I weigh 122.4 lbs and have 18.7% body fat. I am trying to get back down to below 112 before the season starts. Ive been bulking up since it ended last season and have gained alot of muscle mass. Im happy, I tried maxxing out on the bench press on thursday, and I benched 125lbs I can curl about 65 I think, using 2 arms, 30 with 1.

Slothy
10-16-2005, 04:18 AM
Run and weight train, and for gods sake, don't do the no eating thing. Not eating isn't a healthy way to lose weight under any circumstances to my knowledge. If you're excersising, you need those calories to help keep you going.

Running (or bikeing, or anything of that sort) regularly will burn fat. Weight training will help you gain muscle, and more muscle means you burn more calories, helping you lose body fat and keep it gone.

Leeza
10-16-2005, 04:42 AM
You're trying to get down to 8% body fat?! That is extremely low.

It's not magic, but eating less and exercising more both aerobically and with weights is the way to go. I don't know how tall you are, but 112 lbs is not much weight. Also, I would lay off of the sausages and bologna. They are loaded with fat and what you need to do is convert your body fat to muscle. You're just making your work harder by eating that stuff. Eat healthy food. Fruit, veggies and meat that is low in fat. Chicken, fish, pork. Whole wheat bread instead of white, etc. because they actually have nutrition in them and not just empty calories like anything that is made with white flour.

10-16-2005, 04:50 AM
im only 5'2. how about blackberry waffles for breakfast? would those be ok?

FFGuevara
10-16-2005, 04:55 AM
Eat less, Drink only water and be more active. That always works.

Leeza
10-16-2005, 05:00 AM
<i>im only 5'2. how about blackberry waffles for breakfast? would those be ok?</i> ~ IBCrayZ

Not if they're store bought, but if they are then check out the nutritional information.

Give yourself a set amount of calories and stick within that range, but I would not go below 1200 calories per day. You'll find that in order to get the most out of that little amount of calories is to eat foods that are low in fat and you'll find that the fattier foods are the foods that are higher in calories so it would be best to have less of them.

A calorie is a calorie though so you can either have lots of fruit, veggies and a small amount of protein throughout the day, or you can blow all of your calories on one item. The choice is yours.

Samuraid
10-16-2005, 05:05 AM
Never eat nothing. Eating nothing causes your body to naturally lower metabolism drastically which can cause you to actually gain weight when you start eating again.

10-16-2005, 05:31 AM
The waffles are not store bought, my mom made em'. I dont plan to stop eating, just eat a little less if neccesary.

Neco Arc
10-16-2005, 05:43 AM
dont bother with products that say 95% fat less etc. a lot of them (not all) actually dont contain much fat but for taste have added other substances such as extra sucrose(sugar)...i saw this on a health food documentary. just remember that if you are hungry eat. but dont grab junk food such as candy, cake, biscuits, etc... instead concentrate more on fresh fruits and vegetables such as celery and carrot sticks or fresh cashewnuts, macadamia nuts... these contain a little fat but high protein...also cut down on eating potatoes, rice, bread etc, cause they contain quite a lot of carbohydrates, lean meats...

sorry for the above but i study biology so yeah.... oh yeah exercise a lot...not to much to overstrain yourself but enough to keep you fit... saw someone who tore a ligament by overdoing to much exercise...

Miriel
10-16-2005, 06:11 AM
I work out monday-thursday lifting weights. I am going to start running 3 miles after every work out. On week days I eat a breakfast bagel (bagel egg and sausage) a salad for lunch, and bologna sandwich for dinner. somehtimes the sandwich is substituted for steak or something else my mom makes for dinner.

I would change that breakfast diet of yours. A bagel is equivalent to 5 slices of bread. Go with an English muffin instead, those have about half as many calories as bagels. Also, I'd try and stay away from fatty foods like sausages and bacon.

The Captain
10-16-2005, 06:16 AM
A quick question: How does one calculate their body fat? Is there a standard system used or a website that can be used to measure it?

Take care all.

Miriel
10-16-2005, 06:21 AM
Found this (http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/bfb) site off Google. Dunno how accurate it is though.

The Captain
10-16-2005, 06:25 AM
Thank you very much!

Hopefully I filled this survey out correctly.

Take care all.

Yamaneko
10-16-2005, 06:27 AM
My university has a health clinic that will measure your body fat for free.

The Captain
10-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Do they give free cross country flights?

Take care all.

Yamaneko
10-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Yes, if by free you mean not free.

btw, haven't seen you around in a while

The Captain
10-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Ah, I see.

I've been around, if by around you mean not so much. Things have been hectic lately but have calmed of late, so I can finally give my all here once again.

Take care all.

10-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Found this (http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/bfb) site off Google. Dunno how accurate it is though.
According to that, I only have 13.62% body fat. so, i dunno how accurate it is.

Leeza
10-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Body fat is measured by pinching your skin at specific points on your body with calipers that are designed just for this purpose. Health clinics or Fitness Centres can do this for you, but they are not free. A questionaire won't really give you an accurate measure because inches alone aren't everything. For example, <a href="http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/bfb">this questionaire</a> has me at 10% over what I was a couple of years ago when I had my body fat measured with calipers, and I don't see that as being possible.

Yamaneko
10-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Maybe you should lay off the vareniki and sour cream, Leeza. :)

Twisted Tinkerbell
10-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Eat less junk, do more exercise, drink water, not beer, and that should help.

Leeza
10-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Maybe you should lay off the vareniki and sour cream, Leeza. :)
Never! :)

The Jamie Star Scenario
10-17-2005, 12:29 AM
You could also develop an eating disorder, though it cannot be binge eating because that just wouldn't work.

Anyway skin callipers isn't the best way to measure body fat percentage, you want to be dunked in water and then they'll check your displacement et cetera which gives a better result.

Leeza
10-17-2005, 12:44 AM
The water tank is the best way, but that is not something that any regular person could afford, I don't think, because it's offered only at certain Medical Institutes, as far as I know.

The Jamie Star Scenario
10-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Quite true :cool:
Or you could use those rubbish electric current ones that you get in cerals and stuff. I guess skin callipers are the best, they just don't work if you are really fat or really thin because either they do not makes ones big enough to pinch a fattie and they cannot grab any skin on a skeleton. For the average person they work quite well though :)

faster skating penguin
10-17-2005, 02:40 AM
I understand how complicated and complex losing weight must be ...

Vaprice
10-17-2005, 02:51 AM
train as bruce lee did.

before he died everything on him was muscle...

which would also mean...

8 hours training a day...more running and cardio workouts...

eat healthy things...no soda or anything bad at all.

I dont see why you need to get to 10% body fat. Even for a martial artist it's very extreme. You will indeed become incredibly tired.

If you really wish to get down to 10% body fat then your gonna have to train every part of your body. Make sure you get every required amount of vitamins for your body or your done for sure.

Jinpachi Mishima
10-17-2005, 03:14 AM
Eating nothing but fresh fruit in the morning, and during the day eat meals that are 90% water-based foods which include: fruit, vegatables and roots. Don't wash your system out with water, it doesn't work and you gain water retention. Don't starve yourself because it becomes harder to lose weight, when you starve yourself your body automatically goes into "preserve" mode and stores away fat so that it can continue to function efficiently.

Exercise at least 30 minutes a day and during that 30 mintues, you must be breathing hard continuously. It's the breathing that burns the fat, as it is oxygen that burns fat.

Running is good, but hard on the joints. Swimming is very good, the best though is trampoling, believe or not.

:D

Dreddz
10-17-2005, 09:55 AM
some losers might say to eat healthy or exercise, but I think the best way is to starve yourself, only eat when your tummy hurts, and only eat a rice cake or sumin.
What, you asked for my opinion.....

Calliope
10-18-2005, 04:12 AM
Don't bother. Just buy bigger trousers.

Meat Puppet
10-18-2005, 04:35 AM
better, get one of those crazy house mirrors that make you look thin
other people don't mind if you're fat, in fact, most people enjoy it

Mr. Graves
10-18-2005, 04:59 AM
Don't do the eat very little thing. If you eat less than 1000 calories a day, your metabolism will slow down. Keep between 1300-1500 calories, eating small meals 5 or 6 times a day.

Always always always eat breakfast.

Drink tons of water. People often confuse thirst for hunger and end up eating when they should be drinking. Plus, drinking a lot of water boosts metabolism and fills you up to a certain extent.

Exercise at least 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes. Running is a great exercise, run a few miles a week and you should be able to drop pounds fairly quickly. Just remember, if you overdo it and lose more than 2 pounds a week, you're losing muscle, not just fat.

Also, keep away from soda.

Do all of that. I'd also like to add that if you don't drink coffee, you should start. Go for 3-4 cups per day. It suppresses the appetite, like water does.

10-19-2005, 03:23 AM
Thanks guys. Im starting to run every day with a couple of friends after we work out in the weightroom. I didnt run with them today because I was sore from yesterday and running another 2 miles today. I did it in 12min 15 sec, I am proud of myself.

I already lost 1% bodyfat. Im gonna start doing most of what you guys said. I cant stand coffee, so there is no way im gonna start drinking it. I love trampolining:love: