PDA

View Full Version : Battle Royale

tan
10-16-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm reading this book right now. It's smurfing awesome (but somewhat depressing at the same time). For those of you that don't know the story it goes like this:
In the near-future Japan, everything is falling apart. Unemployment is at an all time high. Students are boycotting school, even physically abusing teachers. As a desperate attempt to end the disrespect between kids and "grown-ups" the adults passed the "Battle Royale Act" (or, simply, "Program" in the novel). This program takes 42 unsuspecting kids and tells them that they're going on a "school trip". They are gassed, put on a deserted island, and put on metal collars. They are then explained to that they have to kill each other, and the last one standing gets to go home, but only if everyone is else is dead (in the movie they are given 3 days, and if more than one person is still alive all the neck collars go off; in the book there is no time limit, but if 1 person does not die in 24 hours all the neck collars go off). The collars on their necks monitor their pulse, tell their location, and also has a bomb inside of it (if the student tries to rip off the collar, it will explode, or if they break a rule or wander into a danger zone). They monitor their location because there are danger zones on the island that they must not go into or else their neck collars will explode. Every 3 hours the leader of the program (Sakamochi) gives them updates via speakers throughout the island. With these updates he tells them who died and where and when zones will become danger zones. After that they must leave the school (which is where they were explained the rules and everything is being monitored. It is also a danger zone from the beginning, so the students can't get near it to attack or something like that) with a pack that has several things: water, food, a map of the island, a compass, a flashlight, and a weapon. Each weapon is unique, not being just guns and knives. This means that the weapons that are given vary from Shotguns to butterfly knives to even potlids and binoculars. The question is: would you kill your best friend to live? Many go crazy and start killing, some commit suicide, and some vow not to kill. (Oh yeah, also another interesting thing, this "Program" happens 50 times a year, and the kids know that it might happen, but just ignore it out of hopes that they won't be unlucky to get picked; they also don't know the conditions of the game)
A very good book, but its plot is a bit questionable. Would Japan go that far just to curb its misbehaving students? This is may be the only thing that might stop you from reading the book, because if you don't believe the plot then you'll never really get into the book. It might also be confusing sometimes too, because there are 42 students and sometimes it's hard to keep track of who died and who's still alive. Also, it's a bit gory, so I recommend that the squeamish would stay away... Other than that, it is an excellent novel (and movie; I also recommend that too) that should be read by all of love action and suspense.
P.S. It's also has an awesome (and very graphic) manga... check that out if you don't want to read a 700-page book :P

Dreddz
10-16-2005, 11:25 PM
I dont read, But Im able to watch, The movie was cool :)

kikimm
10-16-2005, 11:33 PM
I loved the book. I was worried about how the translation would turn out, but it was near flawless. I cried so much though. xD Beautiful, beautiful book, in my opinion. I haven't been able to get a hold of the movie, though; and I don't want to read the manga. From what I've seen, it looks lame.

TheAbominatrix
10-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Oh, there's a book? I didnt know that, silly me.

I adored the movie and wanted very much to read the manga, but I was really bothered by the ugly ugly art, as compelling as the story was. I'll be sure to pick up the book, and I'm very very happy to know that there is one. Thanks for posting this :skull3:

escobert
10-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Is the movie called Battle Royale?

TheAbominatrix
10-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Yes it is. There's also a sequel titled Battle Royale 2: Requiem.

Captain Maxx Power
10-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Is the movie called Battle Royale?

Certainly is. An utter classic.

escobert
10-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Hmm can't find it anywhere on limewire :(
EDIT: nm found it :D it's only in subs though? :( I hate to read xD

Craig
10-17-2005, 12:52 AM
I've been wanting to watch the movie for ages now.

TheAbominatrix
10-17-2005, 12:56 AM
It's only subbed, as far as I know. Multiple American studios have tried to import it but the owners have refused.

It can be found on quite a few torrent sites.

escobert
10-17-2005, 01:06 AM
Yeah got #1 and 2 going :D

DK
10-17-2005, 01:29 AM
I got both the DVD's, they're awesome movies. I want the book so bad, though. :\

tan
10-17-2005, 02:02 AM
It's only subbed, as far as I know. Multiple American studios have tried to import it but the owners have refused.

Not only that, but the violence in the remade movie would cause so much controversy because idiot parents would blame the movie for making their kids kill each other, saying that "they were copying Battle Royale!" or some other dumbass comment like that. What moronic parents. Hollywood would screw up the remake even if it did get the greenlight to be made.
Well, anyways, I forgot to add the author's name (sorry). This book was written by Koushun Takami, if you want to buy the book. Here's a link to the page for amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156931778X/qid=1129510688/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-6325070-6167200?v=glance&s=books
and for barnes&noble.com:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=Jg0BN7NClU&isbn=156931778X&itm=1

EDIT: oops I almost double posted. Anyways, since this is The Lounge, we can talk about the movie and the book at the same time. What was your favorite part of the novel/movie (try and steer away from spoilers please!)
My favorite part of both the novel and movie is the lighthouse scene. The acting was so great, and I really cared for a couple of the girls. If Oki hadn't gone after Nanahara... ooh they'd all be alive ;_;

kikimm
10-17-2005, 02:07 AM
I don't know about the movie, but the part in the book involving Takako and Hiroki was a favorite of mine. I don't know why it affected me so much, but...:(

Also, the end of the book on the boat.

This is making me want to read it again.

TheAbominatrix
10-17-2005, 05:48 AM
I didnt mean a remake, I meant the movie itself, liscensed in American. I've only seen it pirated.

And thanks for the links.

Madame Adequate
10-17-2005, 06:13 AM
I've not yet read the book, but I think the movie is spectacular and I like the manga as well (That and Bizenghast are the only two mangas I collect.).

However, I do find the plot to be somewhat unbelievable. Whilst 'government' might well see something similar as a good idea, the instinct of a mother to protect her children is too strong for a government which tried this to survive easily. If it was an entirely secret program I could understand, but in the movie at least it's a national TV event; not something parents would like too much.

Moreover, I simply don't see what anyone would believe is achieved by it. If it were a punishment then yes, or even if you could be exempted by good behaviour or academic success, but to just choose random classes of students and set them upon each other doesn't seem to serve any purpose for society. I know I certainly wouldn't feel any desire to feign respect if I knew it wasn't going to save me. This might be better explain/elaborated upon in the book though.

One problem I do have is that Kiriyama seems to exist only to reduce the numbers of the children. My friend who has read the book has told me that although his nature is elaborated upon more than in the manga (Which does actually go into his past, unlike the movie.), he still seems to serve that purpose. Disappointing.

tan
10-17-2005, 07:41 AM
One problem I do have is that Kiriyama seems to exist only to reduce the numbers of the children. My friend who has read the book has told me that although his nature is elaborated upon more than in the manga (Which does actually go into his past, unlike the movie.), he still seems to serve that purpose. Disappointing.
Yes, in the book and manga he is already a student in the class, not a transfer. In the movie he was used by the government to "fix" the game, because they knew that most students would not end this game in three days (they most likely predicted that many students would chicken out and not start killing each other; they prolly learned this from previous games). He does have a much better background in the book, but you can only fit so much in a movie.
Also, in the book this "Program" (BR Act in the movie) happens not once but 50 times a year, and students just hope that they don't get picked, but I guess I can agree with you when you say that acting good won't stop the pick of your class (if it was real), but it may somehow influence the teacher to try to convice the bigwigs to pick another class.

Miriel
10-17-2005, 08:07 AM
I didnt mean a remake, I meant the movie itself, liscensed in American. I've only seen it pirated.

And thanks for the links.

I saw it on Netflix which I don't believe sends out pirated movies.

I liked the movie. The girl in the instructional video made me laugh.

Dreddz
10-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Battle Royale 2: Requiem.
I hated the sequel........

TheAbominatrix
10-17-2005, 10:00 AM
I saw it on Netflix which I don't believe sends out pirated movies.

I liked the movie. The girl in the instructional video made me laugh.

Ah, I must have heard wrong then.

I love the video girl (they refer to her in the credits as Onee-san [sister], I believe), she's the seiyuu (voice actor) for Asuka of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Twisted Tinkerbell
10-17-2005, 05:44 PM
I haven't read the book, but I am aware of it. I got the film for Lasuria last year for Christmas. There is also a manga of it too. The second film is nowhere as good as the first.
(Don't be suprised if there will be a thread some time in December asking, what the smurf do I get Lasuria for Christmas.)

Cloud No.9
10-17-2005, 05:49 PM
amazon also sells the dvd.

Pauten
10-17-2005, 05:59 PM
The 1st movie is a classic and the 2nd one is alright Ai Maeda. *drool*

But thank god there is no dubbed version just thinking about it makes me want to vomit.
Live action movies just shouldnt be dubbed in any language besides the original one.
If you dont like that either dont watch it or learn to read, But thats just my opinion. :)

tan
10-17-2005, 08:55 PM
This thread is dying... well, anyways, besides favorite moment in the movie/novel, who is your favorite character? I thought Mitsuko was the best character in the movie (the actress that played her was really good) and in the novel (she just brought this great kinda suspensy feeling, like you couldn't be safe while she was still alive).

Pauten
10-17-2005, 09:16 PM
There's also a directors cut version of the movie where you get to see more into her past, I think

tan
10-17-2005, 10:42 PM
There's also a directors cut version of the movie where you get to see more into her past, I think
Yeah, well... stick to the subject please.
Anyways, my second favorite character would have to be Satomi, just because she was cute and her actress was great...

escobert
10-25-2005, 04:08 AM
My favorite character was Kawada.

kikimm
10-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Yeah, Kawada was totally awesome. I also really liked Hiroki though. And Takako, even though she wasn't in it for very long. Shuya was great as well. Yeah, those 4 were my favorites. :heart:

I'm talking about the book, though. I still haven't seen the movie yet and I don't recognize the names of some of these characters you people are mentioning. :(

Armisael
10-25-2005, 11:21 AM
I have read the book and i have seen both of the movies.. They are all truly amazing..! ^_^

Hiroki is my fav!<3

Omi4000
10-25-2005, 11:45 AM
the movie was crap

tan
10-28-2005, 01:39 AM
I thought the movie was really good. I sweat a lot during it too because I didn't want to see Satomi die :P

Mirage
10-28-2005, 03:07 PM
The movie was funny. It made me smile.

Craig
10-28-2005, 03:48 PM
I watched it earlier today. Great movie.

tan
10-29-2005, 07:56 AM
for some strange sadistiscal reason I laughed during the lighthouse scene. I dunno why though. Maybe it was because Satomi rolled over and showed her underwear (kinda). :P

escobert
10-29-2005, 04:45 PM
for some strange sadistiscal reason I laughed during the lighthouse scene. I dunno why though. Maybe it was because Satomi rolled over and showed her underwear (kinda). :P
all the scenes made me laugh :)

tifa:one winged angel
10-30-2005, 03:12 PM
i loved both the movies they was cool and funny

tan
10-30-2005, 09:51 PM
the second one was crap. Every time an important character (who was dying) made a speech the enemies would just stop.

escobert
10-30-2005, 09:52 PM
I still haven't seen the second. I can't find a subbed version.

tan
11-03-2005, 01:32 AM
me neither.
I mean, I saw it, but I couldn't understand them, but it wasn't the dialogue of the movie that made me think it was a piece of crap, it was the GIANT plot holes involved. I may not know japanese, but I do know that when an important character dies the enemy isn't just going to stop shooting and go "aww, that important character needs to make his/her last speech. let's stop firing at them!"

tootncartman
11-04-2005, 04:27 AM
The scene in the first film where the teacher guy (I forget his name.) was dieng and he ate the last cookie and talked on the phone etc. then finally fell dead. That was priceless:D , nay IMO the best death scene ever filmed..

Az Lionheart
11-05-2005, 02:58 PM
lol this was such a funny film and you can see how it was a bugget film l,ol and i really wana see the second is that anygood? lol, but personaly i wopuild have liked to have been the one with the dustbin lid lol