PDA

View Full Version : cecil the selfish.

boys from the dwarf
10-17-2005, 07:27 PM
think about it. when kain is evil and asks for the earth crystal in return for rosa hes pretty much asking "hey cecil. can you do me a little favour and destroy the world in return for rosa." i know the game ends happy anyway but its like giving terrorists an atomic bomb in return for a block of cheese.its obvious that theyll try and kill rosa after the exchange so i think although its a game and it always ends happy i tihnk cecil was very stupid. anhone else think this was a bit dumb?

Destai
10-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Yes its extremely stupid but almost all RPG's do it because the main character cant seem heartless to the player and let her die.

Captain Maxx Power
10-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Exhibit's A through M. (http://demented3d.com/ffiv/)

Bahamut2000X
10-17-2005, 09:11 PM
As already said, the reason Cecil did it was to not appear heartless to the players, and to show deep down he's not a mindless Dark Knight who has no feelings for anyone, but really cares about people, especially the love interest.

Besides as I learned in morality class at my catholic high school 2 years ago, appaerntly it's more important to let the world completly end and EVERYone die, then one innocent person die and everyone be saved. So quite obviously Cecil took some moralality and ethics classes in Dark Knight school. O.o

Also Maxx Power, excellent excellent site. *thumbs up* ^^__b

boys from the dwarf
10-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Exhibit's A through M. (http://demented3d.com/ffiv/)
ive already read that and its in my favourites but i suppose it brings up some good point and some hilarious points!

Sefie1999AD
10-18-2005, 03:13 PM
You guys have a point, Cecil was a bit selfish with those things he was doing. Here's some quotes from Fool's Gold (warning: contains swearing):

Cecil - Final Fantasy IV - Sweet God, I smurfing hate Cecil. I mean, he starts out whiny, and then turns into a complete d</userdefined>ick when you get to Damcyan, where poor Prince Edward is mourning his dead love, exploded homeland and (presumably) slaughtered populace, whereupon the following situation ensues:

Edward: *crying* "My kingdom is in ruins, my people are dead and my beloved Anna has been killed."

Cecil: *slap* "Snap out of it! So you're girlfriend/wife/betrothed/whatever she was just died? Big deal. So everyone and everything you have ever known or cared about has been obliterated? Wow. Whoop-de-goddamn-doo! You think YOU'RE life is tough, what with your kingdom being genocided by Baron and your girl dying before your eyes? Well, screw you. MY girlfriend has a fever, and I need to risk the lives of a daft old man, a small child (whom I orphaned) and yourself in order to save her, so quit smurfing whining and COME HELP ME!"

I could never relate to him as a character after that at ALL. Even if I dislike Edward, good LORD you're a bastard. My biggest regret at the end of FFIV was that he didn't die.

And my extra comment to that:

ROFL! That was hilarious! Cecil was still a Dark Knight back then, though. Do you think he changed into a better person when he became a Paladin? Oh, and for "MY girlfriend has a fever, and I need to risk the lives of a daft old man, a small child (whom I orphaned) and yourself in order to save her", you should have phrased it this way: "MY girlfriend, who I shamelessly stole from my best friend, has a fever..."

Maxx Power: Good, I was wondering if the Power of Cheese was up in some website. Browsing through that EoFF thread takes such a long time.

Christmas
10-18-2005, 03:29 PM
When people is in love, they will do a lot of unimaginable things.

Like going into space with almost no oxygen.

Sasquatch
10-18-2005, 04:42 PM
If he didn't, the game would end there.

I'm sure he figured he'd come up with a plan to get it back.

Sephex
10-18-2005, 10:31 PM
As I recall, Cecil didn't quite know what the crystals were used for at that point. He only knew that "some bad stuff would go down" if he let Golbez have them.

Ultima Shadow
10-18-2005, 10:56 PM
its like giving terrorists an atomic bomb in return for a block of cheese.But I LIKE cheese! :-/

ljkkjlcm9
10-18-2005, 11:48 PM
think about it. when kain is evil and asks for the earth crystal in return for rosa hes pretty much asking "hey cecil. can you do me a little favour and destroy the world in return for rosa." i know the game ends happy anyway but its like giving terrorists an atomic bomb in return for a block of cheese.its obvious that theyll try and kill rosa after the exchange so i think although its a game and it always ends happy i tihnk cecil was very stupid. anhone else think this was a bit dumb?
it all depends on how good that cheese is man, if you think you're gonna die either way, might as well enjoy the cheese first ;) if you know what I mean. haha

THE JACKEL

DJZen
10-19-2005, 07:16 AM
I'd love to see this happen in a game or a movie some time:

Villain: Nyahahaha! So you think you have won? Well, plot twist, enter stage right!

Hero: GASPETH!

Girlfriend: HERO!! HELP ME!!

Villain's Lackey: One more step, Hero, and she DIES!

Villain: That's right. I'll give you two choices. Hand over my doomsday device, or I'll kill your beloved!!! NYAHAHAHA!!! *ominous thunder crash*

Hero: Well gee, given that choice, screw it. Kill her.

Villain: What was that?

Villain's Lackey: What was that?

Girlfriend: WHAT was that?

Hero: See, if I give you the doomsday device, everyone in the world will die. Including her. You've sealed her fate either way. I mean, what, you think I don't know that you'll use that thing? It's not exactly a cake froster!

Villain: But... I... I'LL KILL HER! RIGHT HERE IN FRONT OF YOU!

Hero: And that would be very sad indeed, but I can't live with letting everyone on the planet die. Losing my girlfriend will be rough, but there's plenty other fish in the sea. Sorry babe.

Girlfriend: YOU HEARTLESS JERK!

Hero: Heartless? Why? You want me to let him blow up the planet? Yeah, that sounds real benevolent right there. I love you and all, but jeez, I'm not gonna let the whole world die just so I can get me some tang. Sorry, girlfriend, but I've gotta do what's right. *destroys doomsday device*

Villain: NOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOO-OOOOO-OOOOOO!

I'd write the rest, but I think it kinda writes itself.

boys from the dwarf
10-19-2005, 08:19 AM
exactly. but cecil being an idiot would give them a doomsday device and kill his girlfriend to get the cheese.

Zell>Everything
10-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Cecil is cool. Besides, the girl-saving is a convention of everything involving love interests and villains.

TheAbominatrix
10-21-2005, 08:28 AM
exactly. but cecil being an idiot would give them a doomsday device and kill his girlfriend to get the cheese.

Um... the crystals dont work like that. Cecil didnt know regardless at this point in the game, but all they did was open the path to the Moon. It's what was contained at the moon that was the dangerous deal.

That being said, yeah Cecil is quite selfish. But I think it humanizes him a bit. There were some really hard choices he had to make in the game.

DJZen
10-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Cecil didnt know regardless at this point in the game, but all they did was open the path to the Moon. It's what was contained at the moon that was the dangerous deal.

That's not really something you have to know though. It's enough to know that Golbez is bad and wants the crystals for some malicious purpose. Besides, since when are villains known for holding their end of the bargain up? He should have considered that eventuality.

TheAbominatrix
10-22-2005, 05:50 AM
That's not really something you have to know though. It's enough to know that Golbez is bad and wants the crystals for some malicious purpose. Besides, since when are villains known for holding their end of the bargain up? He should have considered that eventuality.

I never said he shouldnt have, I was just correcting the info.

Lynx
10-22-2005, 06:10 AM
cecil wasnt selfish. look at it this way at that point in the game golbez could have just killed cecil and got the crystal if they had met. thing was golbez wanted to break cecils spirit more then kill him. cecil knew one way or another golbez would have ended up with the crystal wether it be by threatning rosa's life or by force. so cecil proably figured hey if i save rosa then not only do i not get killed by golbez and the world isnt destroyed cause im dead. but i have rosa on my side to help me fight golbez and im gonna need all the help i can get.

see cecil knew he needed rosa to defeat golbez he wasnt selfish he knew that golbez would end up with the crystal but why not have rosa alive.

also the whole cecil, kain, rosa triangle. i dont think cecil knew kain had feelings for rosa (as odvious as it was).