PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Code

CaZ!
10-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Has any one read this book by Dan Brown i think its really good and has very beliaveble ideas and good outlooks on things.
Have you read it if so what did you think?

jrgen
10-19-2005, 01:05 PM
It's not supposed to present believable ideas. It's a fictional story. People do not seem to understand this, and that's why they get so upset about it.

CaZ!
10-19-2005, 01:09 PM
yes it does represent believable ideas about mary magdeline and the holy grail i know that the actual story is based on nothing but pure and simple fiction but there are ideas which are believable!

jrgen
10-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Of course he based the story on actual and true things. Just because Lord of the Rings features water, just like in the real world, doesn't mean everything in the story is true.

Raistlin
10-19-2005, 04:02 PM
It's not supposed to present believable ideas. It's a fictional story. People do not seem to understand this, and that's why they get so upset about it.
Actually, yes it is. Those "believable" ideas aren't fully recognized as fact, but there is valid evidence which supports many of those conclusions in the book.

Anyway, I used to really like the book. About a year or so ago, I stopped caring.

On a related note, apparently a movie's in the works? Yesterday there were some people on my campus with little fliers saying "reject the Da Vinci code" and they had a petition to try and stop the movie from coming out. People are so stupid, but it was pretty funny.

Luara
10-19-2005, 06:54 PM
yes, people are stupid sometimes... stop the film... humphf!
The Da Vinci code its truely a great book.. I just laught when the Pope said that was againts religion, and said it that harry potter aint a good book to read too... behh..
my favourite books 'till now was the Da Vinci code; harry potter, and Eragon... sorry Popeabout the two ones!, >.<

Zante
10-19-2005, 08:37 PM
I liked it, one of my fav books. I too find it quite believable.
Note:Believable doesn't necessary mean it's true.

jrgen
10-19-2005, 09:40 PM
He's not presenting theories though. He's trying to sell a fictional book.

Raistlin
10-19-2005, 10:14 PM
He's not presenting theories though. He's trying to sell a fictional book.
Possibly, but a little book called <i>Holy Blood, Holy Grail</i> which came out a while ago which most of the evidence in <i>The DaVinci Code</i> was based on <i>was</i> about presenting a theory backed up by evidence.

Shoden
10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
People are campaigning to ban the book, now that's getting carried away.

limiting what we can and cannot read.

I'll read this book sometime.

CaZ!
10-19-2005, 10:42 PM
He's not presenting theories though. He's trying to sell a fictional book.Maybe so but unintentioanlly hes created some quite interesting theories plus the one about mary magdeline is very believable because
1) It was expected jews of the time to be married
2) If Jesus wasn't married then because of the above reason it would have deffo been in the bible

Sasquatch
10-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Actually, no. He is trying to pass his book off as nonfiction, something he "found out". It's not "wouldn't this be cool if...", it's "hey, look what I found, it must be true". It is fiction, yes, but he's trying to pass it off as some new factual discovery.

Raistlin
10-20-2005, 02:26 AM
Actually, no. He is trying to pass his book off as nonfiction, something he "found out". It's not "wouldn't this be cool if...", it's "hey, look what I found, it must be true". It is fiction, yes, but he's trying to pass it off as some new factual discovery.
No, the book is explicitly fiction. It's the events/practices/groups/etc portrayed in the book which he states are either factual or fact-based theories.

The ideas of <i>The DaVinci Code</i> are described in a non-fiction, scholarly format in <i>Holy Blood, Holy Grail</i> by...three people who I don't remember. I've read about a third of it, then stopped caring about the subject. But there really is a good amount of evidence for some of that stuff.

bipper
10-20-2005, 02:30 AM
The whole book is synominal to Michael Moore's efforts. Make some crap up that has minimal evidence, and pass it off as fact. ;) Dan has tried a few times to pass it off, but there are quite a few plothole in the story to belive it. For instance, when the origional parchments are "Found" in a cavet in a small alter in (cant remember the name); the altar actually is a perfect square, that has no cavets or anyhting in it. :D

2) If Jesus wasn't married then because of the above reason it would have deffo been in the bible

If he was married, it would have been in the bible. Not destroyed. Jesus was Jewish by faith, but he lived above Jewish law (sort of) in a lot of areas. THis crap is slightly more believeable than Sylvia Brown's Diareha spewed from her mandible though. That still leaves it on the far left of the BS specrtum.
Bipper

Del Murder
10-20-2005, 02:31 AM
This book was poorly written but the subject matter is fascinating.

Raistlin
10-20-2005, 02:38 AM
Make some crap up that has minimal evidence, and pass it off as fact. Dan has tried a few times to pass it off, but there are quite a few plothole in the story to belive it. For instance, when the origional parchments are "Found" in a cavet in a small alter in (cant remember the name); the altar actually is a perfect square, that has no cavets or anyhting in it.
Brilliant - try to discredit the fact-based theories in the book by pointing out of flaw in one of its fictional elements!

bipper
10-20-2005, 02:44 AM
Thanks! ;)

Yeah, I know the book has fictional elements, but the fact of the matter is that Dan has tried to promote this as fact before. There are tons of flaws in this story. You can't just go throguh spinning fact with fiction and expect the book to have any real value. Facts involving the crusades, the line running with the meridian, the rose pettals on the catherdral ceiling (in france I bleive).

I Watched a damn good documentry long after reading the book. I was honestly supprised that there were people who belived all of this. I mean, yes there are facts, but they are completley twisted to meat the author's wants. It was a great book (at least the THEORY presented) and a very interesting read, but factual? No, Not for the most part.

I could debate with ya raist, but I have little intrest in yelling at a thick brick wall.

Bipper

Raistlin
10-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Wow.

I couldn't care less about the book or its fiction elements - I'm talking about the basic, factual evidence - and the substantial amount of it, and that you can't rule those out just because an author makes a fiction story of of them, which is what you're trying to do, as well as setting up straw men.

And I won't conclude with a demeaning, asshole comment. :)

bipper
10-20-2005, 03:03 AM
Wow.

I couldn't care less about the book or its fiction elements - I'm talking about the basic, factual evidence - and the substantial amount of it, and that you can't rule those out just because an author makes a fiction story of of them, which is what you're trying to do, as well as setting up straw men.

That is as far as I go as well. The FACTUAL evidence is very important, and I am not trying to go against that at all. What I am going against are the redicalists whom think that this book is basically telling fact. My opening line in my post should have cleared that one up. When I compared the author to Michael Moore, spinning facts into a fairy tail. Then you come along and cram words and views into my mouth... again. /sigh Facts = cool, over all story with fictional trimmings = teh sux

And I won't conclude with a demeaning, asshole comment. :)
I love you :love:

CaZ!
10-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Thank you, you see this is exactly right

Maxico
10-20-2005, 06:53 PM
This book was poorly written but the subject matter is fascinating.

I'm going to have to agree there.

The actual story in itself (in my opinion) was garbage.

However the theorys behind it are very interesting.

tan
10-21-2005, 12:51 AM
the book is great, but I think that Dan Brown is just pushing the fact that he "found" things that make the book seem true to make it controversial. controversial book= lots of media coverage= lots of people seeing on the news= people wanting to go buy it because it seems interesting

Miriel
10-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Dan Brown is proof that even people with appallingly bad writing skills can still make it in the business.

eestlinc
10-21-2005, 02:01 AM
MAKE YOUR BOOKS SEEM LONGER YET READ FASTER BY STARTING A NEW CHAPTER EVERY OTHER PAGE!

Del Murder
10-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Chapter 57: eestlinc drinks a soda

eestlinc bought a soda and drank it. When he was done, he saw something that made him jump.

The can fell to the ground.

Chapter 58: Miriel and Raistlin in the mystery cave

'Did you hear that?' said Miriel

'No,' said Raistlin.

'Ok.'

'Where do we go now?'

'Let's look over there,' replied Miriel, brushing some of her golden locks away from her eyes.

'WAIT WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?'

Raistlin's flashlight fell to the ground.

Chapter 59: In which the background of the soda can is recanted

eestlinc
10-21-2005, 02:47 AM
chapter 59:

My mother is a fish.

Del Murder
10-21-2005, 02:53 AM
We should totally write this book.

Yamaneko
10-21-2005, 03:20 AM
The book was mediocre at best.

Chemical
10-21-2005, 03:34 AM
The book was mediocre at best.

Yes.

I think the only redemeable quality of the novel is that continuously through out Dan Brown warns his readers: "everoyne loves a conspiracy."

People who love this book... are just that everyone that Dan Brown points out at.

To me this novel is like a big laughing joke at everyone who believes the first crazy crap that's shat out.

I think I should write a book on how one of the Beatle's died and was replaced by a Canadian OPP officer...

Oh... wait... too late.

I think... it's imortant to read between the lines in this text, especially, and not be one of those band wagon jumpers who flies over to England and takes the Da Vinci Code tour...

jrgen
10-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Dan Brown did not come up with these theories. They already existed. He just put them together and made a book out of them.

Spatvark
10-21-2005, 01:21 PM
It's airport fiction, plain and simple, just they've switched the greek letter out of the title for "Da Vinci" XD

eestlinc
10-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Chi Code? Gamma Code? Omicron Code? What could you mean? xD

Spatvark
10-21-2005, 10:04 PM
I mean, the kind of books that have titles akin to "The Omega Directive," "The Alpha Conspiracy," and "The Epsilon File." And books by Robert Ludlum. The things you can buy in airports as crap to read on the beach whilst on holiday. They're only written to hold your attention long enough for you to read it once, and then you'll never want to read it again. No real depth, no real content, just fluff to kill time with.

Yamaneko
10-21-2005, 10:10 PM
What do you expect from a man named "Dan Brown"? The name is almost as dull as his book.

Spatvark
10-21-2005, 10:14 PM
;_;

*is writing a novel and has an incredibly uninteresting real name*

Oh well, I could always publish it under a psuedonym, provided I finish the damn thing.

Miriel
10-22-2005, 12:35 AM
I think the folks over at Fanfiction.net regard Dan Brown as some sort of demigod. He gives them hope.