PDA

View Full Version : What did you grow up listening to?

Rusty
10-19-2005, 03:47 PM
What did you grow up listening to? I grew up listening to the sounds of the Bee Gee's, Wendy Matthews, Celine Dion and Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, among a few others.

Has what you listened to growing up influenced your choice of music now? For me, I don't think so. There was no rap, hip hop or R&B in my house. But I still love the Bee Gee's and love various songs by the artists I listed.

Even though I choose to listen to rap, hip hop and R&B I love how musically diverse my family is. With each of my family member comes a different type of music, so I end up listening to lots of different artists. My sister would be the only one who has the closest taste in music that I do. How about you?

Project G
10-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Michael Bolton, AC/DC, Queen, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston. And all of this caused me emotional scarring...:cry:

Samuraid
10-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Classical, new age, fusion, 80's pop, folk, a bit of 70's and 60's music.

Dreddz
10-19-2005, 09:50 PM
90's UK techno, dance, trance and DNB
And American Hip Hop like Snoop, oh and Reggae and Jungle Music..

Destai
10-19-2005, 09:55 PM
90's radio =) Do I win?

Meat Puppet
10-19-2005, 09:56 PM
This buzz.
It's just, constant buzzing.
It started when I was like, three or four and lasted until now.

Chris
10-19-2005, 10:03 PM
My mother used to listen to: Cyndi Lauper, Boney M, Engelbert Humperdick, Frank Sinatra, Sharon Cunetta & Jessa Zaragoza.

I first got introduced to Grace's music in 1989.

Shoden
10-19-2005, 10:06 PM
mostly Heavy metal from the 80's.

Deep Purple, Dio, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden and others.

usually I heard some dance music but in the mid 90's the craze had barely begun.

Shoeberto
10-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Oldies (70s-80s) then country (roflcopter) then late-'90s early-'00 pop then I actually started having an opinion.

Rye
10-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Classical Rock, mostly the Rolling Stones, Queen and Aerosmith, because my Dad is a big fan of them. I remember when I was really young, I'd go insane with happiness when Pink Floyd - Another Brick In the Wall came on because I love the end with the insane teacher/lunch lady. :p

Yamaneko
10-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Classical, Classic Rock and Jazz.

Psychotic
10-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Oasis and Blur. Plus my mother was a huge Beatles fan, so yeah.

And I still think all three are great.

eestlinc
10-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Beethoven

Parasaurolophus
10-19-2005, 11:46 PM
weird AL yankavic! now i love parodes! ive been to 2 of his concerts and boy is he weird! his movie UHF is also one of the funniest movies ive seen. I give him 2 thumbs up! :up: :up:

nik0tine
10-19-2005, 11:50 PM
Really BAD Christian music. (In other words, it was Christian music that was not a Bach cantata.)

It most certainly did not influence my taste in music.

Reles
10-19-2005, 11:51 PM
I grew up with the Bee Gees too xD Plus, Neil Diamond. *shudders* And I can recognize most Classical Rock, but I don't ever remember what bands they're from.

Parasaurolophus
10-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Hmmm!

Venom
10-20-2005, 12:01 AM
I grew up on alot of stuff.....i make a list

1.W.A.S.P.
2.Motley crue
3.Megadeth
4.Poison
5.Alice cooper
6.AC/DC
7.Aerosmith
8.Anthrax
9.Dio
10.Pantera
11.The Sex pistols
12.Ozzy osbourne
13.Deep purple
14.Black sabbath
15.Led Zeppelin
16.KISS
17.Lita ford
18.Slayer
19.Public enemy
20.Jimi Hendrix
21.Danzig
22.Rob zombie

the ist goes on......

Spammerman
10-20-2005, 12:08 AM
im stilll growing up and im growing up listening to rap.And game music.

Sasquatch
10-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Older country music. Diamond Rio, Ricky Skaggs, stuff like that.

fire_of_avalon
10-20-2005, 03:29 AM
Oh man, everything. From my daddy there was classic and 80's rock, 60's and 70's folk, and southern rock. Luci, my mother, didn't really listen to music. Then you had my great grandparents who sang everything from popular songs of the 30's and 40's way back to old bluegrass stuff, gospel stuff, church songs, and spirituals. I never really listened to it back then when they would listen to the AM stations that still play it, but I do now.

Then I had the great aunt who was all about classical and Gregorian chants and stuff. Later I got into country, and after that mid 90's pop and easy listening, then after that mid and early 90's rock, grunge, then back up to modern rock and modern pop, then back again to 80's post punkish stuff then the forerunners of punk, then electronica, then some old hip hop stuff (think Run DMC), then just plain old acoustic guitar stuff, then video game music. Some of that is out of order, but yeah, I can pretty much listen to anything and be really happy with it.

The first radio song I could sing from memory was "Shot through the Heart" by Bon Jovi. xD

Kirobaito
10-20-2005, 03:33 AM
I grew up in two different musical households - my mom liked the easy-listening soft rock from the 70's and 80's (Neil Diamond, Michael Bolton, etc.). My dad liked country, at that time stuff like Chet Atkins and Asleep at the Wheel, and so when in his car I would listen to that. I picked the country over the soft rock for myself, though I can still stand to listen to the kind of music that my mom liked.

kikimm
10-20-2005, 03:41 AM
I grew up listening to a whole lotta Michael Jackson. I was obsessed.

That's passsed.

So, MJ, anything that was on MTV or VH1 at the time (lots of pop and teeny bopper bands). I don't think it's influenced my current taste at all. I like completely different stuff now. ;)

Rinoa_Heartillly
10-20-2005, 04:37 AM
I can't remember *cries*

Slade
10-20-2005, 05:54 AM
80's and 90's Radio hits. And the first albums I ever got were......dun dun dun....The Spice Girls! (:eek: ) I still have a soft spot for them even though i only listen to Rock music now.

boris no no
10-20-2005, 09:54 AM
I grew up listening to a whole lotta Michael Jackson. I was obsessed.

That's passsed.

So, MJ, anything that was on MTV or VH1 at the time (lots of pop and t</>eeny bopper bands). I don't think it's influenced my current taste at all. I like completely different stuff now. ;)
*nods* i remember dancing to MJ everynight on a carpet that was really slippy ^__^ i still love the old MJ now
other stuff erm 60s and 70s rock (daddy) and 70s bad pop (mummy)
but also late 80s and early 90s techno and dance ^_^ who would of though it

Loony BoB
10-20-2005, 02:48 PM
My Mum is obsessed with music and music videos - she has over 30 (probably over 40 now) 6-hour video tapes full of her recordings over the years from various music shows / channels. Seriously. And that's just the recorded stuff - she's also got some purchased videos, too.

It was pretty much the famous stuff for the most part - Bryan Adams, Mariah Carey, Queen, Bee Gees, Michael Jackson... but overall, anything that she liked that she could get the video of. Loads of one-hit-wonders and the like. My Dad's music was more stuff like Gary Moore, Stevie Ray Vaughan etc.

I still like almost all of the music I grew up with. My Mum and I have generally similar tastes in music, although she doesn't like much of the newer stuff I have from bands such as Fall Out Boy. Although she'll like the odd song, so it's all good.

crazybayman
10-20-2005, 03:25 PM
When I became a teen, it was all 90's alternative (chili Peppers, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, The Tragically Hip, I Mother Earth and Our Lady Peace, etc), grunge (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, etc), and 80's metal (old Metallica, in particular).
As a young lad (maybe grade 3 or 4), my first album by choice was AC/DC, Who Made Who.

My old man always listened to Folk, Irish, and Irish/Newfoundland music, so that grew on me too.

escobert
10-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Jethro Tull, AC/DC ect.

Trumpet Thief
10-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Rubedo: Backstreet Boys and N'sync. I used to love them!

Trowa: Also a little bit of Bon Jovi. :)

Rubedo: Although our taste in music has certainly changed.

GooeyToast
10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Foo Fighters
Ozzy
Alice in Chains
Kiss
Nirvana

Wasn't really too into music when I was little.

Little Miss Awesome
10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Queen, David Bowie and then some random golden oldies stuff :p

DMKA
10-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Hmm

Ages birth - 8: The Beatles, Dolly Parton, The Monkees, MC Hammer, Elvis, Pearl Jam, The Judds, The Rolling Stones, and Poison.

Ages 9 - 13: Snoop Doggy Dogg, Coolio, Nitorious B.I.G, Tupac, Blackstreet, Al Jereau, Foxy Brown, Mariah Carey, and Anita Baker.

Ages 14 - 16: KoRn, Blink 182, No Doubt, Everclear, Lit, Thrid Eye Blind, and Kirk Franklin.

17 - Present: Everything.

Shauna
10-21-2005, 06:20 PM
The Spice Girls. :D

Well... that was when I was young of course. *cough*

But, after the Spice Girls fad was done... I didn't listen to much music really.

Brian The Pink Shark
10-21-2005, 06:24 PM
I can remember these three songs being played constantly in my Dad's car radio

"Daughter" by Pearl Jam
"Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight" by REM
and "mrs Robinson" by Simon and GArfunkle

i dont think they have really influenced my music choice, but some of my Dad's tapes that i cant remember probably did because i like a lot of bands that my Dad likes today ie Wishbone Ash and Pink Floyd

my first tape was a Queen live album, i then started listening to crap like Abba (i hate my 9 year old self) :choc:

Yuffie514
10-21-2005, 06:27 PM
...folk music, 70s - 90s music (in our own languages)...stuff that my mom would play. i just listen to whatever's on now...

Chemical
10-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Bach is over rated.

Corelli is better...

But a variety of groovey things.

Mostly: Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, Psychodelic Rock, Rock & Roll, Britt Rock, Grunge, Punk, Funk, Metal, Classic, Folk, Bluesgrass, Hip Hop, Soul and Motown.

I listened to a lot of foreign music as well. The Buena Vista Social Club, Edith Piaf and just other crazy cultural and traditional music.
My family has diverse taste... so I grew up listening to a lot of different things.

I think trance/techno, Rap, A/C and country were really the only types of music I wasn't exposed to.

Alive-Cat
10-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
SoundGarden
Alice In Chains
Guns N Roses