PDA

View Full Version : What the hell? STEAM/half-life is acting up.

nik0tine
10-20-2005, 06:31 AM
Well, I just loaded up Steam so I could play a quick game of DoD: Source, and it for some reason said that DoD was not installed. The strange thing about this is that I was just playing it the other day. How can it suddenly not be installed? After I saw this, I decided to play some firearms, a third party modification for half-life 1. As soon as I clicked on it half-life was loaded up, and NOT firearms. What the hell is going on? How do I fix this? I really don't want to have to install a game that is already installed on my computer.

Samuraid
10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Reinstall everything. :)

That's the safest fix for it. Other than that, the solution may not be forthcoming.

Yamaneko
10-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Delete your ClientRegistry.blob in your Steam folder and startup Steam again. The Steam update that added HDR to the Source engine screwed around with third-party games. Try deleting all the autoexec.cfg, config.cfg and dxsupport.cfg files for all your games.

<a href="http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=282&p_created=1101182584&p_sid=5k5THvSh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTUmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnB fY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD12YWxpZGF0ZQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1">Also, try validating your files here.</a>

VoodooChild
10-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Dont know why they bothered changing Steam...

If its not broken, dont fix it...

Yamaneko
10-20-2005, 09:55 PM
HDR wasn't a fix, it was update to the engine. Namely for DoD:S and The Lost Coast.

Swordicanus
10-21-2005, 12:45 PM
I bought Half Life 2 about.......3 months ago and I have'nt played it yet because that whole register to Steam thing is really getting on my nerves .....I JUST WANNA PLAY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........:cry:

Slothy
10-21-2005, 01:02 PM
I bought Half Life 2 about.......3 months ago and I have'nt played it yet because that whole register to Steam thing is really getting on my nerves .....I JUST WANNA PLAY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........:cry:

Just why is it getting on your nerves? Are you actually having problems with it, or have you just not bothered because you don't want to install Steam?

Anyway, nik0tine, if you haven't fixed the problem yet, I just started up Steam for the first time in a few days and it was telling me DOD:Source wasn't installed too. I just double clicked it and it seemed that when it should have gone to install it, it noticed that it was already there and it was in my games list again. It only took about five seconds.

Swordicanus
10-22-2005, 01:42 AM
NO I INSTALLED STEAM........BUT THERE IS SOME CODE OR SOMETHING IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I LAST TRIED

Slothy
10-23-2005, 03:24 AM
I'd say try it again then, and if it's not working visit the Steam forums. They've got a lot of solutions to common problems in the sticky threads there, and if you can't find the answer in an existing thread you can always ask someone.

nik0tine
10-27-2005, 02:15 AM
NO I INSTALLED STEAM........BUT THERE IS SOME CODE OR SOMETHING IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I LAST TRIED
CD key lol! :p

Shoeberto
10-27-2005, 02:36 AM
Steam is a good concept, but the execution so far has been very...troublesome. Recently I've been having it say that my games aren't installed, then they "install" in a few seconds because it's all already there. Plus the new interface feels a little bloated, and you can't (as far as I can tell) switch it back to the old one. So yeah, Steam is lame right now.

nik0tine
10-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Steam has been lame since the beginning. It should be called STEAMINGmad./lame.

Yamaneko
10-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Most of my issues with Steam have been on my end. What kind of system are you running?

nik0tine
10-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Hell, I don't know. I think I have 512 RAM, an Nvidea GeForce 4 video card, pentium something... Windows Xp... is that what you wanted to know?