PDA

View Full Version : International Version FAQ

Shalashaska
10-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Due to the frequent posting of questions pertaining to the International version of FFX, I have decided to post a FAQ about the subject. Hopefully this will answer everyone's questions about FFX:I and cut down on the number of threads that are made about this subject.

***Please note that this FAQ is a work in progress and I intend to add several sections later including strategies for defeating the Dark Aeons and Penance.

I also plan on adding a 'General FAQ' section that has common questions relevant to all versions of FFX (such as how to do the AP Trick, how to get Zanmato more easily, etc). I am currently in the process of moving so I am somewhat busy right now and will be without internet access, so these updates will come later.***

Also, please feel free to offer corrections, contribute your own information (as I'm sure there will be something that I forget), or ask a question that has not been addressed.

***Please note that the PAL (European) version of FFX has all of the International features. This was a sort of 'bonus' for European gamers because they received FFX later than the US. The only thing the International version has that the PAL version is missing is the option to have Japanese text.***

What is 'Another Story'?
This was a movie that was originally released with the Japanese version of FFX:International. It's basically a 15min cutscene that 'bridges' the close of FFX and the beginning of FFX-2. If you hunt around you can d/l it online. The Official Playstation Magazine also released it in English, with the original English voice actors, on their bonus disc of issue 75, December 2003. Note they entitled the movie 'Eternal Calm'.

So what are the differences? What's new?
In addition to the Dark Aeons and Penance there are a number of new features in FFX:I. I will take the lazy way and direct your attention to this link:
Differences (http://www.eyesonff.com/ff10/ffxpaldifferences.shtml)

I will add though that the International version uses a new font style for numbers during battle and there are a couple of new battle quotes (the messages your characters yell out sometimes during battle.)

Where can I buy it?
You can import FFX:I through any number of ways but I will list a few trustworthy websites.

www.playasia.com (http://playasia.com)
www.yesasia.com (http://yesasia.com)
www.lik-sang.com (http://lik-sang.com)

I personally do all of my import shopping through playasia. They are usually a bit more expensive but they are very quick and very reliable.

What do I need to play it?
There are only 3 options here and none are that great.

1. Import a Japanese PS2.
Pros: It's safe, there is no risk of messing up your existing PS2, and you now have a way to play a TON of great games/movies that never made it (or will make it...FFXII:International anyone?) out of Japan.
Cons: It's expensive. Unless you are Richie Rich or have a great job, plunking down $200 for ANOTHER PS2 doesn't seem that reasonable. My import collection is steadily growing so the cost is definately justified with me. Look around and ask yourself if you think you'll import anything else in the future. Is FFX:I alone worth it? I would say no but that's up to you.

2. Mod your existing PS2. This is the process of 'modifying' your Playstation 2 so that you can play import games (or a myriad of other things). I will not go into detail about this process here because much of it is illegal but if you do a quick google search you can find all the information you need.
Pros: It's cheap(er) and can be versatile. Depending on how you mod it, you can make your PS2 run pretty much anything.
Cons: Risky. Unless you know exactly what to do, you can permanately damage your PS2. Things like your warranty are thrown out the window as soon as you open that puppy up so you better know what you're doing.

3. Move to Asia/Europe. :)
Pros: You get to travel and experience a whole new culture! You get to play all the great games that never make it out of Japan and laugh at the rest of us as we mess around with the hassel of modding/importing!
Cons: The food and either: A. Learning a new language or B. Everyone giving you a weird, confused look every time you talk. But with all the great games you'll be playing you wont have time to talk anyway!

Importing a PS2 is definately the easiest, fastest, and safest method...but it's also the most expensive. A Japanese PS2 will run you around $200-$250 depending on which model you go with. I personally went with this choice and am very happy.

Will it ever be released here?
Never say never but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say No. We get Special Editions of movies, they get Special Editions of games. It's not fair but there's not much you can do except move.

What are the Dark Aeons?
The Dark Aeons are optional 'Super Bosses' that appear at various locations around Spira. They look exactly like your Aeons except...darker in color. They look just like your Aeons when you fight them during the final battle with Yu Yevon. They are about as difficult as the monster creations in the monster arena. The last 4 Dark Aeons (Bahamut, Yojimbo, Anima, and the Magus Sisters if you fight them together) are probably about as difficult as Nemesis.

Where are they located and when do they appear?
The Dark Aeons appear after you have defeated Spherimorph in the Macalania Woods. They are located as follows:
Dark Valefor - The entrance to Besaid.
Dark Ifrit - The entrance to where Home stood.
Dark Ixion - The north section of the Thunder Plains. You will see a monk standing under a lighting rod, talk to him.
Dark Shiva - The entrance to the Macalania Temple.
Dark Bahamut - Located where you fought Lady Yunalesca.
Dark Yojimbo - The Sunken Cave. Warp or walk to the very back of the cave then attempt to walk out.
Dark Anima - Repeat the first trial in the Mt. Gagazet cave, the one where you throw Wakka's ball. Then warp to the base of Mt. Gagazet.
Dark Magus Sisters - The Mushroom Rock Road. Walk (or take a chocobo) from the Mi'ihen Highroad all the way north until you are forced to dismount. Continue north to the next screen and the Sisters will be standing a ways in front of you.

Any videos/pics of the DA's or Penance in action?
Thanks to SplitInfinity, there certainly are! Check here:
Split's Site (http://www.damirkolar.com/ffx/)

How do I get Ribbon?
Ribbon is only in the International version and can be customized to armor with 99 Dark Matter.

What is the easiest way to get Ribbon?
You receive 99 Dark Matter for unlocking Ultima Buster (capture 5 of every fiend) in the Monster Arena, so there's one 'easy' Ribbon.

Dark Matter is a rare drop from the creations (area/species/original) in the Monster Arena so you can just continuously defeat a weak creation, such as One Eye, and hope for a rare drop. If you choose to stat max you should end up, on average, with enough DM for at least
one other Ribbon.

If your characters are strong enough, the best way to obtain DM is by continuously fighting Dark Yojimbo. Dark Matter is the common item drop from Dark Aeons and you must defeat Dark Yojimbo 5 times consecutively before he is gone for good. So simply fight him 4 times, then go to the save sphere towards the back of the cave, warp to your airship, and then you can go back and repeat the procedure all over again.

More to come....

Kingdom Hearts Fanatic
10-29-2005, 03:15 AM
Thank you, thank you so much, but sadly, I may not be purchasing the International of FFX at all. The idiot I call ''Mom'' just had to go and buy the NA verison only to tell me ''Since it's the same thing and cheaper here in the States, I decided to buy it as your (only) Birthday gift! See how thoughtful I can be! Now you don't waste all that money we gave you for Christmas!''.

:rolleyes2

crono_logical
10-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Is this/there a version with both Japanese voices and Dark Aeons in it? :p