PDA

View Full Version : Excalibur

mj05
10-25-2005, 12:13 AM
I've heard of ppl just using Tidus' Excalibur instead of his leagendary weapon bc a time of 0:0.0 is pretty much a pain in the calm lands. I was wanting to know: where do you get it? what abilities would I have to equip for it to be the equivilant of Caladbolg (?sp?)? And what items do I need to be able to customize the abilities to the weapon? If there's rare items, where do I get them? Sorry so many questions, but if I thought I wouldnt get answers, I wouldnt have bothered asking. Hope to get this pretty soon. Thanx in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Hambone
10-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Forgot, but you should really try to get the sigil for Tidus though. The celestial weapons have "invisible damage" which is where if you are comparing Tidus with Caladbolg with strength of 255 and another Tidus with Excalibur and strength of 255, the Tidus with Caladbolg would deal more damage because of "invisible damage"

mj05
10-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Forgot, but you should really try to get the sigil for Tidus though. The celestial weapons have "invisible damage" which is where if you are comparing Tidus with Caladbolg with strength of 255 and another Tidus with Excalibur and strength of 255, the Tidus with Caladbolg would deal more damage because of "invisible damage"

I've never heard of "invisible damage". Does that just make it easier to strike without fiends dodging it?

Hambone
10-25-2005, 01:18 AM
no. It's just extra damage done because it's a celestial weapon.

mj05
10-25-2005, 01:19 AM
oh, i see....

BG-57
10-25-2005, 01:24 AM
I never fully activated Caladbolg, but I was able to win the game quite easily without it. U.S. version, mind you. The defining characteristic on Excalibur is Break Damage Limit which you can customize with 60 Dark Matter. Easiest way to get 99 is to capture 5 of each fiend.

I added these abilities to it:

Triple Overdrive
(30 Winning Formula; Get 99 for capturing 1 of every fiend in all areas)

One MP Cost
(20 Three Stars; get 60 for capturing 1 one of every fiend in 2 areas)

Double AP
(20 Megalixirs; get 30 for capturing 2 aquatic fiends of each type on Mt. Gagazet)

You can buy swords with four empty slots from Wantz in Macalania Woods after taking the airship to Highbridge, if you talked to him on Mt. Gagazet.

mj05
10-25-2005, 01:28 AM
Thats all fine and dandy...but, where do i get Excalibur? lol

BG-57
10-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Customize Break Damage Limit onto any of Tidus' swords with an empty slot, it should become an Excalibur automatically. It's better to start with a sword with four empty slots, available from Wantz.

I don't think any fiend drops Excaliburs, but I could be wrong.

mj05
10-25-2005, 01:34 AM
Wantz? Is that Owaka's brother? Where do I find him at?

BG-57
10-25-2005, 01:38 AM
You first meet him on Mt. Gagazet. If you talk to him then, then he'll reappear in the entrance to Malcalania Woods after the events at Highbridge. He sells a complete array of weapons and armor with 4 empty slots for every character.

Blitz Ace
10-25-2005, 01:38 AM
wantz is at the entrance to macalania forest, towards the end of the game... yeh, he sells weapons and armor with four empty slots.

btw, a weapon will become excaliber if it has Break Damage Limit (60x Dark Matter)... if you want to exactly copy the Caladbolg, you need, break damage limit, triple overdrive, evade and counter, and magic counter

EDIT: as Lulus moogle said, yes the celestial weapons have what could be called invisible damage... they ignore the defences of enemies, which is extremely useful for fighting things like the dark aeons. if you were using an excaliber to fight the dark aeons, you would do way less damage. also, celestial weapons have certain characteristics that make them stronger, ie, the Caladbolg is stronger when Tidus has full health.

mj05
10-25-2005, 01:42 AM
I dont even know what I need to customize a weapon with evade and counter, and magic counter. I've been getting a lot of things from the Arena for catching all the fiends and I used some of it to customize other weapons.

Blitz Ace
10-25-2005, 01:46 AM
you need a teleport sphere for Evade & counter (dropped by sleep sprout - monster arena)

you need 16 shining gems for magic counter, but i reckon you should put another ability on, its not that useful. 60 shining gems for capturing every monster in macalania snowfields/forest area

Christmas
10-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Thats all fine and dandy...but, where do i get Excalibur? lol

Nemesis drop weapon with break damage limit.

mj05
10-25-2005, 03:45 PM
I just bought a sword from Wantz. Right now, I only have the stuff to put Double AP, and One MP cost on it. I've been running around in Omega Dungeon trying to get Dark Matters and whatever else I need.

Christmas
10-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Dark Matters is only dropped by the bosses of the monster arena and it is a rare drop or by unlocking Ultima Buster which will give you 99 of it.

But you can bribe Land Worm for it but it is pointless since Land Worm only appear before the final boss fight.

BTW, this only apply to the normal version and not the international version since I didn't play it.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
in the end ur probly better of just upgrading caladbolg. it will take less time and effort to upgrade it all than it will to get all ur items to make a gud excalibur

mj05
10-25-2005, 10:42 PM
There something in the Omega Dungeon that you can steal Dark Matter x2 from, I just dont remember which fiend it was. Caladbolg would be better than trying to get all of these items, but I dont think I'll be able to get a time of 0:0.0! lol

rubah
10-25-2005, 11:20 PM
There is no need in getting caladbolg if you're doing just eh monster arena sidequest.

You'll get plenty of dark matter to customize one sword with just break damage limit, and really, that's all you need.

caladbolg is a waste of my time xD

Hambone
10-25-2005, 11:31 PM
There is no need in getting caladbolg if you're doing just eh monster arena sidequest.

You'll get plenty of dark matter to customize one sword with just break damage limit, and really, that's all you need.

no, it's not!

?????
10-26-2005, 12:53 AM
As in most other Final Fantasies, it's quite possible to win the game without the ultimate weapon, and it may even be more convenient seeing as there's no tangible reward for getting everything, except a short little cutscene in X-2 that I downloaded off of LimeWire to save myself the trouble of actually playing the rest of the game (it almost made me retch after a mere ten minutes of play).

I got enough of the crests and sigils to get most of my aeons to break the damage limit; beyond that, I didn't care too much. One of my friends screwed around for 164 hours getting everything. Every character did 99999 damage per hit.

Blitz Ace
10-26-2005, 04:45 AM
There something in the Omega Dungeon that you can steal Dark Matter x2 from, I just dont remember which fiend it was. Caladbolg would be better than trying to get all of these items, but I dont think I'll be able to get a time of 0:0.0! lol
really?? i didnt think there was ne thin that you could steal it from... which monster is it?? i have heard that a Thorn (the mushroom monster in the sunken cave) will drop 2x dark matter for an overkill about 1 in 10 battles... but not sure if thats true either

you should at least try to get 0:0:0... i really wont take you that long, it only took me 40 minutes. yes it was frustrating, and i usually got nowhere near 0, but every so often you will have a good run, and eventually you will get it.

Christmas
10-26-2005, 05:18 AM

Well, there is what I do. I customized Tidus a sword with break damage limit. But personally I fell Caladbolg is good too.

But Caladbolg had it downside too. You will deal less damage when your HP is low.

And like my Auron with Masamume, he can't deal too high of a damage when his HP isn't low.

While the damage of customized weapon is constant.

Here something about monsters:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/final_fantasy_x_monster_encyclopedia.txt

and monster in the monster arena:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/final_fantasy_x_monster_arena.txt

As far as I know, i dun think any fiends in Omega Ruins drop Dark Matter.

mj05
10-26-2005, 05:48 AM
I dont know if they drop them but I KNOW I stole 2 from something, just dont remember what. Could've been one of the Dark Elements but Im not sure. I cant link to either of those pages, or copy/paste. All I get is "HTTP 404 Not Found"

Christmas
10-26-2005, 06:25 AM
Right Click and select properties. Copy the URL and paste it.

mj05
10-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Tried that...didnt work

Christmas
10-26-2005, 06:59 AM
NVM...why dun you go to GameFaq and check it out yourself?

mj05
10-26-2005, 07:01 AM
I've been reading GameFaqs for the past hour...im a step ahead of you.

crazybayman
10-26-2005, 12:25 PM
As well, if you want a complete list of weapon customizations, go to the FFX section on the frontpage of this site.

I'm actually doing something similar to you now. Except I've already got Caladbolg (the Chocobo Race isn't that bad, I completed after a while), rather I'm trying to get good AP gaining weapons.

So I've been told in another thread just yesterday to defeat One-Eye in the Monster arena, which drops weapons with Triple AP and 2 or 3 extra slots. Get one of those, and add break damage, triple overdrive (which you can get from 30 winning formula, which I"m pretty sure you can get in the Monster Arena), and Overdrive --> AP (which you can get from 10 Door to Tomorrow, which in turn you get in the monster arena), and you've got yourself one mean weapon. You'll advance around the sphere in no time, and create incredibally overpowered characters.

But really, I suggest trying the chocobo race to get the Sun Sigil so you can power up Caladbolg. Worst case, it'll take you an hour, at the very most to win it. Probably less.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
10-26-2005, 12:51 PM
the race really isn't hard wen u try. it only took me 5 tries :D i have some tips but i won't bother posting them if ur not even going to bother to try it. if u want these and have decided to try, PM me and i'l giv u them. okie :D

mj05
10-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Im probably going to try the race a couple more times, but it took me around 10 tries just to beat the trainer. I've been in the Omega Dungeon with Double AP weapons and I get atleast 2 S.Lvl's per battle. Question: Right now, Aurons HP is at 9999. And I dont have anything for a Break HP limit. If I activate more HP nodes, will his HP go up after I get Break HP Limit? Or will it stay the same until I activate nodes after I get break HP limit? Because, if it will stay the same, I dont want to waste those nodes for nothing. Devils Phoenix: if you can give me some tips for the race, I'm willing to try it a few more times.

rubah
10-26-2005, 10:51 PM
it doesn't matter when you give him break HP limit. It depends solely on how many HP spheres he has activated.

mj05
10-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks. I was hoping that was the way it went! lol Cuz I just activated another one on accident before reading your post and was hoping I didnt waste it!

Hambone
10-27-2005, 03:34 AM
the race really isn't hard wen u try. it only took me 5 tries :D i have some tips but i won't bother posting them if ur not even going to bother to try it. if u want these and have decided to try, PM me and i'l giv u them. okie :D
He's/she's right! It's easy! no, i don't need tips.