PDA

View Full Version : ff7 is it as good as it is said?

asukaevaunit02
10-25-2005, 03:39 AM
im wonderin how good ff7 is?
i keep hearin heaps of stuff bout how good it is..
how good is it say compared to ff9 or ff8
i played ff9 and thought it was brilliant and im gettin ff8 in a few days and thinkin of getting ff7 so i wanna find out if it is as good as it said??
worth buyin?

TheAbominatrix
10-25-2005, 03:44 AM
It's certainly a good game. Whether it lives up to the hype is your own personal decision (for me it didnt), but regardless it's still worth buying.

?????
10-25-2005, 04:02 AM
Yes. Yes, it is that good. But don't take my word for it. It's widely considered to be the best Final Fantasy. People who have "better taste" will say that VI is better, but most of them are quite frankly just attention whores attempting to be l33t, counter-culture, or whatever the current losery emo trend of the moment is. All they're really accomplishing in so doing is making themselves look like the same kind of mindless fanboy retards that populate a good deal of VII's fanbase.

It is a game of exceptionally high quality, though certain elements of its story and atmosphere might be turnoffs to some. This is their right. There are people who like other FF games better for perfectly legitimate reasons, but hating fanboys doesn't qualify as legitimate. Most of the real retards are in the Star Wars fanbase, yet you don't see them dissing it. This isn't an insult, it's a statement of fact; Star Wars quite simply has far and away the largest fanbase in the world, and therefore it is also extremely likely that it has a proportionately high number of morons. This is also the case for FFVII, as its fanbase is the largest of the FF games, but you don't see the VI or Tactics fanboys railing against Star Wars, as they would if their counter-culture reasoning was in any way, shape, or form consistent. It's not that I don't like VI; its merits are beyond question. I just can't stand the illogic displayed by counter-culture VII-haters that simply latch on to VI as some sort of god-figure because they have no salient points to make.

The sole legitimate point that the people I'm talking about have is the final boss battle. To his credit, Kefka of FFVI did the one-winged angel thing first. But there's a reason that Sephiroth is more remembered for it; he did it better. In physics, James Clerk Maxwell is remembered for quantitatively proving that electromagnetic waves travel at c, and drawing the conclusion that light is an electromagnetic wave, thus leading to the topological mathematics of Minkowski and in turn to the relativity of Einstein. In actuality, Michael Faraday, another well-remembered physicist, had this idea almost fifty years before Maxwell did, but he was never able to describe it quantitatively in a persuasive manner, while Maxwell could. Therefore, credit is given to Maxwell. The same principle applies to Kefka and Sephiroth.

Basically, forget what anyone else has ever said, including me, and judge the game on its own merits, and you'll come out with at least a decently supported evaluation of it.

boys from the dwarf
10-25-2005, 06:50 AM
FF7 is a good game but FF8 and 9 (expecially 8.)have better character development and personalitys which is why i like them both more than FF7 which is a brilliant game.

Big D
10-25-2005, 06:53 AM
I basically agree with Ashley and Question Marks.

FFVII is, in my opinion, a fantastic game. A creative piece of storytelling, with a diverse and well-developed cast. The society, cultures and politics of its fictional world are also impressive. The game manages to give a strong critique of our own world, but without being too obvious about it.

The game's age is apparent, and is a turn-off to some people: it was made before the 'rebirth' of console RPGs in the west, so it wasn't given a particularly awesome translation. But while some dialogue is jarring, some of it is sublime. Visually, the game's solid - it uses pre-rendered backgrounds for most scenes, so those images are detailed, but other points such as the 3-D character models aren't up to the standard that some people expect. But basically... if you can accept the fact that this game is 8 years old, it's entirely possible to overlook its 'flaws'.

It takes a wee while to get into FFVII, particularly if you're new to RPGs; but once you get involved in the story, it's easy to get hooked.

?????
10-25-2005, 07:25 AM
I think it is being pretty obvious in its critique of our world, but I'm not going to go there.

Dragon000
10-25-2005, 07:30 AM
i had to beat the original ff7 game twice to understand the story

now i've beaten it three times!!!

FFVIII Fan
10-25-2005, 03:17 PM
vii is a great game, one of the best final fantasies, there is better but thats just down to my personal preferance. When you get the games and complete them (will take a good while) tell us what you think of it and what is your favourite.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
10-25-2005, 03:52 PM
i think 7 tops 9 by far. it beats 8 but only just, and is on par with 10. i can neva make up my mind whther i like 7 or 10 most? wot do we think?

GunbladeMaster
10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
8=first
7=second
10=third

redxiiii
10-25-2005, 06:29 PM
VII is my favourite ff and in my opinion the best FF, The story for me was the best in any other FF because it's so involved and has some brilliant plot twists.

Bahamut, King of Dragons
10-25-2005, 07:19 PM
If you liked the story in IX, VII will throw you for at least 5 loops.
The graphics may disappoint, however, but there are still some cool FMVs.

raskerino
10-25-2005, 09:17 PM
8=first
7=second
10=third
:bow: :bow: :bow: oh great one, enlighten us with your wise powers further.

9 is quite different from 7 or 8, and your opinion of it depends on you however, it is a wonderful game that should be bought by you if you like RPG's.

Winter Nights
10-25-2005, 09:55 PM
It's a decent game, but I thought both 8 and 9 were far better. In the end, it is up to you.

Ult555
10-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I was lucky....my first RPG was FFVII....and like the first love it will never be forgotten...10 walkthroughs is a verdict...FFVII is the best game ever....FFVII:AC is the best CG movie ever =))

Skarr
10-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Only you can truly answer that ?uestion for yourself. In my opinion VII has some pretty bad graphics minus the F.M.V’s. However given its age and when it was released, the game’s graphics are forgivable. The story is enough to draw you in, hold you down and never let go. Simply put, you’ll love the story. Some characters suck, plain and simple. ‘Cait Sith’ is just…’hmmmmmmm’ useless in battle. However, this does not take away from the overall experience. There are some pretty cool moments in the game. Some utterly touching music and one of the most famous boss theme’s in any of the FF games. Don't let yourself be drawn into the hype of this game. Otherwise may not find it able to live up too so many exaggerated points. If you go into the game with a clear and open mind with enjoy it completely.

BackRoomKid
10-25-2005, 11:44 PM
8=first
7=second
10=third

agreed

Kilrane
10-26-2005, 12:18 AM
VII was by far the best FF for me. IX was a tribute to all the previous FF's, it was going back to its roots. it had a pretty good story but i didnt fall for the characters. VIII was very "blah" to me. the story was to simple and the characters didnt give me any emotions. VII though was a piece of art. it had a stunning soundtrack (that i still havent been able to buy :cry: ), awesome story, and marvelous characters. everyone can relate to a character from FFVII. if it hadnt been so good they wouldnt have made all the prequels and sequals to it. but like its been said, dont go into the game thinking about how good people say it is. i can guarantee this, you wont regret it. i used to hate rpgs until i played VII.

Necronopticous
10-26-2005, 12:31 AM
Yeah, it's that good. Here's the thing, they're all that good, though.

eestlinc
10-26-2005, 12:37 AM
It's a lot of fun once you get into it. There are a lot of cool spells and abilities you can get once you get far along. I think the enemy skill system in ff7 is the best of any ff game, and materia levelling is pretty cool although time consuming. The battle arena is better than in other games as well.

BackRoomKid
10-26-2005, 12:57 AM
whats really cool is that the characters aren't really that sophisticated like the other FF's (namely 8 and 10)

so it's so funny when you see these polygonic (wonder if that's a word) characters stiffly jumping around doing funny stuff

so you get humor too in such a deep and twisted story line.

Skyblade
10-26-2005, 04:09 AM
whats really cool is that the characters aren't really that sophisticated like the other FF's (namely 8 and 10)

so it's so funny when you see these polygonic (wonder if that's a word) characters stiffly jumping around doing funny stuff

so you get humor too in such a deep and twisted story line.

FFVII's graphic style was awesome. I much prefered the original style to what they did in AC.

Sephitachi7
10-26-2005, 05:01 AM
Playing Final Fantasy VII for me was a an overwhelmingly great experience. The story was the best in the series. The characters and their own individual stories great greatly planned and exceed my expectations unlike some of the other Final Fantasies. The side plots, leveling up, and limit breaks are the best in my opinion. In conclusion Final Fantasy VII is not only the best in the series, but one of the most exhirilating games that one can experience.

Slade
10-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Its good game and definatly worth the play. But I dont actually rate it that high in my 'FF scale'. VIII, IX,V and X come before VII for me (in that order also). I find the game to be slightly overrated, especially the characters (mainly Cloud, Sephiroth and Tifa). Its good, but all the hype degrades it. But definatly get it, you wont know till you play it yourself. Oh and dont get me wrong, I do love this game, I just prefer the ones I stated earlier.

Light Mage
10-26-2005, 11:20 AM
I love the magic and ability system in FFVII, it's so customisable and easy to use.

that's one of the reasons I love the game so much, ease of playability and it also has immense replay value.

I don't know anybody who's only played/completed FFVII just once.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
10-26-2005, 12:38 PM
i agree with light mage. the playability gets top marks from me. if they go through with it and put ff7 onto ps3, then that will probably get my vote as being the best

Yaslene
10-26-2005, 01:37 PM
FF7 is my all time favourite FF Game, so for me, yeah defo get it and anyone else, its honestly great!!!

Rostum
10-26-2005, 01:43 PM
FF7 is a good game but FF8 and 9 (expecially 8.)have better character development and personalitys which is why i like them both more than FF7 which is a brilliant game.

I know FF9 had great character development, but with FF8 - you can't be serious can you? All the characters are forgotten not even half way through the game. >.<;

Slade
10-27-2005, 06:26 AM
I know FF9 had great character development, but with FF8 - you can't be serious can you? All the characters are forgotten not even half way through the game. >.<;
I think he's referring to the characters personalities. If this is so then I agree with him totally that VIII had the best.

Fire_Emblem776
10-27-2005, 07:20 AM
:choc2: :cry: :strut: :strut: you have to pay it sever times, cause the odds are you aint gona understand the plot... i know i was lost.. i was young....:choc2:

Rengori
10-27-2005, 08:06 AM
9=first
6=second
7=third
There, I fixed it.

DJZen
10-27-2005, 08:13 AM
FFVII lives up to the hype if you're a trendwhore. The graphics were bad for their time, the music fails to live up to the standard Uematsu set for himself in FFVI, the plotline is severely cookie cutter, the characters are bland archetypes at best, the FMVs are shoddily done, the mini games are tedious and yet semi-required, and as a cherry on top, the translation was so horrible it's difficult to figure out just what the heck is going on at times. The only thing that doesn't suck about FFVII is its gameplay, which is simply generic. Sure, materia was a new concept, but it's not dissimilar enough from buying spells in stores to be groundbreaking. Even things like limit breaks which supposedly made the game unique had a very "been there, done that" feel, possibly because the idea was swiped right from the Street Fighter series. It's a fun game and all, but it's less than deserving of its own praise. The only reason people even seem to have for liking it so much is their maligned nostalgia for the first FF game they ever played, which was the seventh itteration of it. That's roughly the equivalent of discovering Good News For People Who Love Bad News and saying you've always been into Modest Mouse.

crashNUMBERS
10-27-2005, 12:50 PM
You know I don't think s/he means about the hype. I think she just wants our opinions. And mine, I love this game a lot and all but it's overrated. And also not the best FF game. I'll give it a 9.3 but not as far to go and give it a damn 10...

Rengori
10-27-2005, 08:37 PM
How many times must I tell you people, overrated means you HATE the thing and don't think it's that great. Not love the thing and think it's not that great.

Dinnova
10-27-2005, 08:51 PM
How many times must I tell you people, overrated means you HATE the thing and don't think it's that great. Not love the thing and think it's not that great.
I thought overrated mean that the game didnt live up to the hype, thats all. It doesnt mean that it sucks. The hype could of bin for a super awsome amazatroy game, but then just turn out to be amazing.

crashNUMBERS
10-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Umm.. No. Overrated doesn't mean you have to hate it. Overrated is when people make a big deal out of something in a way. In this case it is almost like that. People make a big deal out of FFVII claiming that it is the best FF game. Overrated never means you "have" to hate it. I can say that homework is overrated due to the fact that it is a mandatory job for kids like me but that doesn't mean I hate homework all the way...

Sepho
10-27-2005, 10:09 PM
They're all worth your time, and FF7 is no exception. The "FF7: overrated or best game EVER?" discussion is a waste of time, because there are so many factors that influence everyone's stance on the matter that it's hard to say if you can even trust your own judgement. I've personally gone from being overcome with glee at the sight of the game case to "this game is soooo overhyped" to "FF7, or day at the beach... looks like it's you and me, Cloud."

I still don't think it's the best thing to happen to video games in all their history, and giggle on the inside when someone makes it out to be so, but it's certainly a regular source of such heated debate for a reason.

Fun game. Play it.

Dinnova
10-27-2005, 10:14 PM
everyone who hates the game give the same reason, "The graphics are $h!T". But common people, like was like 8 years ago. cry more noobs!

?????
10-28-2005, 12:36 AM
FFVII lives up to the hype if you're a trendwhore. The graphics were bad for their time, the music fails to live up to the standard Uematsu set for himself in FFVI, the plotline is severely cookie cutter, the characters are bland archetypes at best, the FMVs are shoddily done, the mini games are tedious and yet semi-required, and as a cherry on top, the translation was so horrible it's difficult to figure out just what the heck is going on at times. The only thing that doesn't suck about FFVII is its gameplay, which is simply generic. Sure, materia was a new concept, but it's not dissimilar enough from buying spells in stores to be groundbreaking. Even things like limit breaks which supposedly made the game unique had a very "been there, done that" feel, possibly because the idea was swiped right from the Street Fighter series. It's a fun game and all, but it's less than deserving of its own praise. The only reason people even seem to have for liking it so much is their maligned nostalgia for the first FF game they ever played, which was the seventh itteration of it. That's roughly the equivalent of discovering Good News For People Who Love Bad News and saying you've always been into Modest Mouse.

I'm saving this paragraph to my hard drive.

I am curious, though, at what you mean by trendwhore. Are you implying that anyone who likes FFVII inevitably likes the music of Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson, or some similar thing?

Dreddz
10-28-2005, 01:14 AM
No, what they all said was wrong
Its better than that
Best game ever IMO, I'd rather have FFVII than all the others put together............

Slothy
10-28-2005, 01:26 AM
I am curious, though, at what you mean by trendwhore. Are you implying that anyone who likes FFVII inevitably likes the music of Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson, or some similar thing?

I think what he's saying is that if you think FFVII is the best FF ever, you're following along with half of most of the others who think it. I don't think he's implying anything that's any worse than what you implied about FFVI fans in your first post in this thread though.

It's generally been my experience that most of the people who consider it their favorite played it before any other FF's, so personally, I'd say it has more to do with everything feeling new when they played it, and that nostalgia factor that keeps a lot of people calling it the best.

I will say this for it, despite it's flaws, it is a very fun game. I don't consider it the best in the series, but it's up there as one of my favorites.

Wiegrahf42
10-28-2005, 01:32 AM
You missed the stereotypical pretty boy villain. Let's not forget the disturbingly phallic weaponry on the main character and the villain. "Paging Doctor Freud".

FFX_fanatiq
11-02-2005, 01:02 AM
1st 7
2nd 10
3rd 9

It's generally been my experience that most of the people who consider it their favorite played it before any other FF's, so personally, I'd say it has more to do with everything feeling new when they played it, and that nostalgia factor that keeps a lot of people calling it the best.

BTW ff9 was my first ff played
I still think 7 is best

chocobo hunter
11-02-2005, 01:11 AM
1st ff 7
2nd ff 9
3rd ff 10

The first one I played was eight then nine and then seven. And I think that seven is the greatest rpg for playstation. It has a great story and good characters.

Neco Arc
11-02-2005, 01:16 AM
1st would be a tie between 6 and 7 followed by 8 and by 5 (i actually like 5), and it is worthwhile playing 7 but try not to make comments on the crappy graphics and bad translation, etc because game is like around 8 years old...

Ouch!
11-02-2005, 01:29 AM
When it comes down to it, all the Final Fantasy games are magnificent. They only "suck" when you begin to compare them to each other. For example, I really enjoyed FFVIII, but compared to what some of the other Final Fantasy titles achieve, I find that FFVIII is sorely lacking in the character development department, and the plot seems to decline half-way through the second disc.

Personally, I'm one of the few that regard FFIX as the best numbered Final Fantasy (nothing beats Final Fantasy Tactics's plot), but as I said, when I step back and look at the all the Final Fantasy titles compared to many other big RPGs that I've played, they stand out. This includes even FFI, though I will admit I never finished it.

Arguing about which is the best, however, isn't the point of this thread, so I won't continue that train of though. I think I already made my first point.

Is FFVII as good as people say? It depends who you're talking to, I suppose. There are a lot of people who idolize it as the standard that all RPGs should strive for. I thought it was good, but I had a few beefs with it. Sephiroth just doesn't do it for me as the antagonist. Sure, he's a total badass and everything, but I found his motive to be rather lame. Then again, I'm the kind of guy who thinks Kuja is the best Final Fantasy antagonist ever, so I don't suppose many would value my opinion on villains much.

The graphics aren't the best, but if graphics make or break a game for you, that's kind of sad. The music was decent. I like the orchestrated and piano versions better, but I'm like that with just about any video game OST. I'm a fan of minor characters and I found that FFVII had some likable ones. Reno, Rude, and Zack are just awesome. There are some really annoying ones like Cait Sith and Yuffie, though, but neither of them are as bad as Rinoa or Selphie. I'm not going to elaborate on that, though. It'd take up way too much space and attacking other games isn't really the point of this thread.

I enjoyed the plot. It gets a little slow at times, but overall it'll keep you entertained for a while. Like all Final Fantasy games, it's a good game. When it comes down to it, when a game has as big a fanbase as FFVII does it usually means that it's a pretty good game. It may not live up to the hype for you (it certainly didn't for me), but it'll keep you entertained for a while. It's worth a play-through or two. I recommend it as well as every Final Fantasy titles.

However, I will say that you should check out Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy IV. Tactics has an amazing plot, though it can get very confusing if you stop paying attention for even a moment. FFIV is just awesome, I can't exactly explain why. I just really like it. You already played FFIX, so I don't need to tell you to try that one.

Rengori
11-02-2005, 01:51 AM
1st would be a tie between 6 and 7 followed by 8 and by 5 (i actually like 5)
First, Good job for liking 6! Second, kudos for liking 5! You'd have to be stupid not to like 5. But 8?

Neco Arc
11-02-2005, 06:49 AM
8 was ok, slightly better than 5 but only just (mainly because of more GFs)

Nightmare X
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM

This post pretty much said everything I was going to say.

Which means I can't go on a rant now.

Oh well.

RiTaPuffy
11-02-2005, 10:05 PM
It has the story that you will never want to stop playing. Battle (Materia system) and limit break system is way better than 8 and 9.

It's not expansive anyway, why not?

?????
11-03-2005, 08:15 PM
I think what he's saying is that if you think FFVII is the best FF ever, you're following along with half of most of the others who think it. I don't think he's implying anything that's any worse than what you implied about FFVI fans in your first post in this thread though.

He isn't implying anything worse; it's just that his entire paragraph utterly proved my point beyond a shadow of a doubt. I mean, "trendwhore"? Can you GET any more emo than calling people trendwhores? Too bad my home computer's fried right now. I need the XP install disk to get it back, but I don't know where it is.

Sephitachi7
11-04-2005, 12:16 AM
DJZen please just stop, you'll make some people mad, because you are getting to me. How were the graphics not the best in its time? Did you ever read the reviews from any famous game magazine for it? The standard Uematsu set for himself? What are you talking about kid? FFVI was a great game in all aspects, including music. But so was FFVII! Incredible songs in there. Bombing Mission, J-E-N-O-V-A, Jenova Absolute, One-Winged Angel, need I say more? Look I understand that is just your opinion and that is fine. Just because that is your opinion and the opinion of a few other ignorant people who inside are dying to be as creative as this, and will never be because they have no talent, that does not necessarily make it a bad game. Great games, like great people always get criticized. As you can see this is the case here. Just some loser who doesn't have taste.

Slade
11-04-2005, 05:57 AM
Great games, like great people always get criticized.
Hence the reason why Final Fantasy VIII, IX and V get so much stick: Because they are GREAT and great games get criticised.

Nightmare X
11-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Just some loser who doesn't have taste.

So, according to you, anyone who doesn't like FF7 is a "loser with no taste"? Riiiiiiiiiiight

Sephitachi7
11-04-2005, 06:55 PM
I agree that FFVI, FFVIII, FFIX, and FFX are also great games. If someone doesn't like FFVII that's too bad. But putting the game as low as he did is just not right. FFVII is a great game. He is entitled to his opinion but he didn't have to go that far. I shouldn't have even wasted my time reading his post. Loser.

RiTaPuffy
11-04-2005, 08:04 PM
So, according to you, anyone who doesn't like FF7 is a "loser with no taste"? Riiiiiiiiiiight
yes

no, but why would you freaking comment in a game forum if you dont like the game? I am a big whiney girl but I dont even whine crap like that. Wake the hell up mennnnn.

I mean, its actually pretty funny, post a comment just to get framed.:rolleyes2

Winter Nights
11-04-2005, 10:10 PM
I agree that FFVI, FFVIII, FFIX, and FFX are also great games. If someone doesn't like FFVII that's too bad. But putting the game as low as he did is just not right. FFVII is a great game. He is entitled to his opinion but he didn't have to go that far. I shouldn't have even wasted my time reading his post. Loser.
Actually, if he thought the game wasthat bad, then he has every right to go that far. And as this forum is here for discussion, he deserves to state his hatred of it. That's the point of a discussion.. differing sides conversing their opinions.

six underground
11-05-2005, 04:45 AM
ff7 is my favorite ff. 8 was fun, but the character twists ( orphanage??? ) made me not like it as much. 9 was cute but was a little hurried toward the end ( sticking necron in the story sort of reminded me of sticking ultimecia in 8's story). 10 had all the makings of as great a game as 7, 6 and tactics and it was gorgeous but it took itself a bit too seriously and ( for me ) became a bit cheesily dramatic/corny towards the end. every game's characters were fab but 7 and 6 stuck out the most for me because of the hilarious script :) :save:

Sephitachi7
11-05-2005, 05:17 AM
Hmm... you got a point there Autumn Rain. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. My apologies.

Nightmare X
11-07-2005, 06:47 PM
no, but why would you freaking comment in a game forum if you dont like the game?

For the exact reason that I don't like the game, there's a small, rather fun thing called a "Debate", if you can't get that, then you shouldn't be on a forum in the first place.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't notice Atumn Ray had made pretty much the same point before I posted

Sephitachi7
11-19-2005, 10:16 PM
um... Buy the game, it's definetly worth it.

Ishin Ookami
11-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Here it is, the straight scoop.

If you never played an RPG before FFVII, then you'll think its awesome. Absoloutely the best there is, best there was, and best there ever will be.

See the big thing is if you played any old school games, if you got chills during the opera theme in FFVI, rewrote history with the crew of Chrono trigger or played any of the 16-128 bit dragon quest titles like I have, your going to find FFVII to be WAY overrated. Its got no challenge, a story that starts out strong but flounders in the final act with plot contrivance on top of convenient and unsatisfying resolutions to certain plot threads, and a ending that made NO sense whatsoever. as well as a lack of depth in most of the main characters compared to many titles and a focus on style then on substance. And while the materia system had its moments, the gameplay by and large just wasnt as in depth as its predacessors. All the characters pretty much fought exactly the same without hardly any variation. after FFVI I was totally let down and bored by and large by the combat system. Its not at all a horrible game (they saved that for VIII) but it is a shallow on compared to what came before. Id say its simply decent, and leave it at that.

I think the thing is nowadays there is so much focus on graphics, most games HAVE too look like motion pictures or high budget animated programming, or it just wont fly. So Its really hard for your average 8-16 year old to find a emulator and rom (note to moderators, Im not endorsing it mind you, just telling it like it is) or much less likely, find a copy of these classic titles used and sit down, play em, and be entertained as us old fogies were back in the day when this was the top of the line graphics and sound wise. I mean hell, I still kick it to burger time, Donkey kong, pitfall, space invaders and such every so often. I doubt most new gamers these days can plop in a quarter and find the entertainment value that the older gaming generation can.

Point being is yah, I can see how the impression is that FFVII is the best ever, If your still pretty new to the RPG thing its likely you'll feel that way, but I do think its just not all THAT great based on both a storytelling perspective, and a gameplay perspective. But I'll stop now before I fall into the trap of more senile old gamer talk. :blahblah:

Christmas
11-20-2005, 09:59 AM
and a ending that made NO sense whatsoever

Anyway, you can't say the ending make no sense just because you dun understand it since there is others out there that understand.

You will be misleading those that didn't play the game.

?????
11-21-2005, 09:21 PM
The funny thing is, I'd played plenty of RPGs before FFVII. I still find it to be an excellent game. It isn't the best RPG, but it's damned close. Chrono Trigger edges out VII, both of which easily edge out VI. Not that VI was a bad game; it was quite good. But VII was just better overall; it had the better story, more engaging characters, and more variety in the environments. VI does have two things over VII, though; its overworld theme and the opera. I'd actually like to see a full version of that opera produced. VII's overworld theme is good, but VI's is absolutely classic.

Aurora_sword
11-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Its a great great game of course but I think the fandom is just overreacting.