PDA

View Full Version : stupid americans.

boys from the dwarf
10-25-2005, 07:21 PM
ive just realized that japan (or at least square.) thinks that americans are stupid. loads of the FFs realeased in america have been made easier. like the FF4 easytype and the FFX without the dark aeons E.C.T. i sure there even more things. i being english dont care much but dont you think this is unfair?

boris no no
10-25-2005, 07:26 PM
but....its true isn't it? ;p

i am joking kiddos :P

Venom
10-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Every country thinks americans are stupid.

Sepho
10-25-2005, 07:36 PM
The mindset is that gamers in the U.S. don't take the pastime as seriously.

Meat Puppet
10-25-2005, 07:38 PM
They put gremlins in cars and computers to wipe you all out.

GunbladeMaster
10-25-2005, 07:38 PM
pfft

Zeldy
10-25-2005, 07:39 PM
I dont particulary hate the People but I do kinda hate America and Americans as a whole =/

Psychotic
NO THE JAPANESE LOVE AMERICANS AND WHITE PEOPLE I AM GOING TO GO OVER THERE TO BE AN ANIME ARTIST AND I WILL GET LAID BECAUSE I AM WHITE (MANY TIMES)!!!

HOW DARE YOU SAY SUCH THINGS!!!

Venom
Japenese people think we're stupid huh? maybe we should remind them of the stupid crap they do on sushi TV. Which is hilarious

Rye
10-25-2005, 07:42 PM
People calling Americans dumb and evil makes this Rye cry. ;___;

Brian The Pink Shark
10-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Americans are always the funniest on the blooper shows, maybe its just that we all like to laugh at the world's greatest superpower, maybe it makes us feel better about our own antions, although great britain is almost as bad, although this page may show why square makes games easier for americans http://totallyabsurd.com :choc:

GunbladeMaster
10-25-2005, 07:44 PM
<!-- **we bombed their asses**
twice -->

Please keep that to yourself. ~Yams

Epiphany
10-25-2005, 07:46 PM
As a hardcore American gamer it gets annoying, but I can't blame them for thinking so as majority of our "gamers" don't even know that American versions of a LOT of games are different from the originals.

chocobo hunter
10-25-2005, 07:53 PM
I think that americans are so cool. You could take apart any of the various contries of the world and find aspects that you dislike or like its all a matter of opinion. I think that the u.s gamers are quite smart

Yamaneko
10-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Yet American game companies make products like the Elder Scroll series and we're stupid somehow. I don't think Japanese game companies, or Japanese gamers in general think we're stupid. They know we like a different type of game than them, that's all.

Venom
10-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah If japanese people do think we're stupid, its probably Bushs fault.....he doesnt play good video games.

GunbladeMaster
10-25-2005, 08:01 PM
save the politics for somewhere else

Lindy
10-25-2005, 08:08 PM
America plays sports games, Europe plays Real-Time Strategy, Japan plays RPGs.

That's the way it's been assumed, and how it will forever hence be taken as "truth".

The irony is, the Japanese can't hack difficult Action games, so they never sell well unless heavily dumbed down, but America and Europe gets the full, head-kickingly difficult incarnations.

Loudez
10-25-2005, 08:32 PM
I did hear that a tomb raider game had to be dumbed down for the americans because they were complaining, but thats why we have difficulty settings lol.

KoShiatar
10-25-2005, 08:36 PM
I suppose they think Japanese gamers are more hardcore than American ones, rather than Americans are stupid. Or maybe they aim at a younger audience in the USA while they think that in Japan also adult people will buy their videogames.

edczxcvbnm
10-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Dark Summons from FFX? Wasn't that not in the original but in the re-release after they released the game in the USA?

Also...Yams...you are not helping the cause by bringing up the mistake of a series that is Elder Scrolls.

Doomie
10-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I heard this one lady poked her eye out with a McDonalds French Fry. (Not really)

GunbladeMaster
10-25-2005, 08:43 PM
nice...

boys from the dwarf
10-25-2005, 08:44 PM
nice answers. but what could these japaneese guys have against america? its probbably those idiotic politician and presidents.but not that england musch different when it comes to that. politics suck:(.

GunbladeMaster
10-25-2005, 08:46 PM
we bombed them
theyre holding a grudge
i dont blame em

Venom
10-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey they bombed us first, its only fair.

Yamaneko
10-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah, hi. Maybe you didn't get it the first time, but keep the political discussion out of this thread or I'm going to close it.

Brian The Pink Shark
10-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Yeah If japanese people do think we're stupid, its probably Bushs fault.....he doesnt play good video games.

what i dont like is Bush coming here and running over our policemen on his bike :P :choc:

Shlup
10-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Well the Japanese are right. Americans are stupid. Europeans are stupid. Australians are stupid. Japanese are stupid. Everyone's stupid.

Brian The Pink Shark
10-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Well the Japanese are right. Americans are stupid. Europeans are stupid. Australians are stupid. Japanese are stupid. Everyone's stupid.

yay shlup has the truth :choc:

XxSephirothxX
10-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Jay: Why the big secret? People are smart, they can handle it.
Kay: A *person* is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.

US Gamers aren't, or weren't at the time Sqaure released "simplified" games over here, as hardcore. Nowadays, Americans are more into sports and FPS, so you can't blame them really.

The Jamie Star Scenario
10-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Americans are stupid! (http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article10605.htm)

Sasquatch
10-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Yeah, hi. Maybe you didn't get it the first time, but keep the political discussion out of this thread or I'm going to close it.
A response to the topic of this thread may be part politics. The main topic of discussion was the question of why the Japanese, mainly Final Fantasy producers, think lesser or hold resentment towards America. Politics and history may have quite a bit to do with it, just like the reason, say, French and Germans don't like each other.

Aside from that. I think Lindy hit it on the head. It's not that one country's "gamers" are smarter than those of another country, it's that the majority of us are interested in different types of games. Since there are probably more people in Japan interested in Final Fantasy than there are elsewhere, they have to make the games more "interesting" to a less mature audience, to make more of a profit. If they marketed the same games (as in, level of difficulty), they would lose many of the adolescent gamers in the States and elsewhere and only get the "hardcore FFers", those interested in a more serious, difficult, focused experience. Just like car manufacturers will market different kinds of vehicles in different countries according to their market. Game manufacturers will do the same.

Yamaneko
10-25-2005, 09:47 PM
It has a lot more to do with economics than politics. As long as these companies make money they will be happy, and like you already stated, this is done by releasing a product that is appealing to the market. I don't see the relevancy of World War II in this thread, and all I'm asking is that it be kept out of the discussion.

Brian The Pink Shark
10-25-2005, 09:49 PM
yeah, world war 2 ended 60 years ago, these disputes have been sorted out, if any of you really hate Japan, then through all your final fantasy games and consoles away, (unless its xbox) :choc:

Shiny
10-25-2005, 10:27 PM
America plays sports games, Europe plays Real-Time Strategy, Japan plays RPGs.

That's the way it's been assumed, and how it will forever hence be taken as "truth".

The irony is, the Japanese can't hack difficult Action games, so they never sell well unless heavily dumbed down, but America and Europe gets the full, head-kickingly difficult incarnations.
Obviously, Japan wouldn't sell their games in America and Europe if they thought they wouldn't play/buy them. I think the only reason why Japan makes their games different for European gamers is because Europe uses a different type of t.v. Both Japan and America use the same type (NTSC). As for the generalization of Americans as "sports gamers" or "mainstream"...that would be a big no. Why would so many people register to RPG sites such as this one?

Slothy
10-25-2005, 10:29 PM
ive just realized that japan (or at least square.) thinks that americans are stupid. loads of the FFs realeased in america have been made easier. like the FF4 easytype and the FFX without the dark aeons E.C.T. i sure there even more things. i being english dont care much but dont you think this is unfair?

I am quite certain that the dark Aeons didn't show up until they released it again after it came out in North America. Also, give them some credit; before releasing FFVII here they threw in Emerald and Ruby which weren't in the Japanese version originally, and when they released FF Chronicles, they didn't spit in our faces by giving us FF4 easytype again. We got the hardtype, and completely re-translated to boot. They may have underestimated North Americans in the past, but they've made up for it since, by adding plenty of challenge to their games for those who want it.

Shoeberto
10-25-2005, 11:35 PM
That's true. It's the troof.

I dunno, I want to go on some sarcastic patriotic rant that would be offensive if you didn't understand the concept of parody, but I'm just tired. Damn. I'm tired all of the time. Maybe that's why I'm so lazy. I need a better way to deal with the laziness. Also america rullzz.

DarkLadyNyara
10-26-2005, 12:14 AM
It's because we smoke more weed than the Japanese.
:lol:

Phil
10-26-2005, 12:33 AM
I r teh americun lol!!11one! No but really- americans are smart. I guess. I'm american. But I'm also norwegian. Are norwegians stupid?

Thats what I THOUGHT you'd say!

bipper
10-26-2005, 01:30 AM
Americans are stupid! (http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article10605.htm)

BEST LINKED VIDEO EVAR.

I think this really falls allong the lines of censorship. I would rather get a game that had to options on it

&gt;American (easy as hell)
Japanese (1337 r0x0r no <s>nubs</s> Americans allowed)

:P

Bipper

Yuffie514
10-26-2005, 03:12 AM
we bombed them
theyre holding a grudge
i dont blame em

...i'm Asian-American. Dark Aeons or not, i hold a grudge at Final Fantasy Tactics b/c it was the only, truly difficult Final Fantasy i've experienced...

?????
10-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Tactics was about as hard as snorting a line of sugar off an ashtray at IHOP. Maybe I just have a mind for those types of games, I don't know. I've always been able to hold my own in RTS.

Lord Xehanort
10-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Tactics was the hardest ever... until you got Blade Grasp and Orlandu.

I think the arguement has been settled here. Americans can play games with the best of them... and we can war better than anyone lolrofflemao!

Primus Inter Pares
10-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Are norwegians stupid?
...that's the exception. :cool:

Brian The Pink Shark
10-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Tactics was about as hard as snorting a line of sugar off an ashtray at IHOP.

that'll be why it's hard then :p :choc:

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-26-2005, 07:31 PM
The Dark Aeons were not released until the PAL release, the Japanese don't have them either.

FFIV (called FFII at the time) was released in the early 1990's. We've received either the same game as the Japanese or a better version with more extras in many of the releases we've had in this country for quite some time now.

American popular culture is spreading like wildfire amongst the Japanese youth, and many are striving to be more "American".

Care to present any other evidence of the Japanese regarding Americans as "stupid"?

Lindy
10-26-2005, 07:57 PM
FFX released in Japan -> FFX released in US -> FFX International released in Japan (because the Japanese wanted more) -> FFX Internation released in Europe, under the name of FFX.

So yes, the Japanese do have all the extra stuff, in fact I think they even have an extra ending after you beat Penance, though I'm not sure.

It happened with FFX-2 as well, the Japanese got FFX-2 International and Final Mission, but because FFX-2 was released in Europe before that was released, we just got the normal version.

It's just about timing, really.

Shoeberto
10-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Tactics was about as hard as snorting a line of sugar off an ashtray at IHOP.
...what the hell kind of an analogy is that?

escobert
10-26-2005, 09:26 PM
It's because we smoke more weed than the Japanese.
Amen!

Spammerman
10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
I think that americans are so cool. You could take apart any of the various contries of the world and find aspects that you dislike or like its all a matter of opinion. I think that the u.s gamers are quite smart
gracias

Itsunari 2000
10-27-2005, 06:02 PM

" We'll make a big glass crater out of the fucking Middle East for all I care. " :mad2:

The Jamie Star Scenario
10-27-2005, 11:55 PM
"I never realised that North Korea is so much bigger than South Korea!"

Lindy
10-28-2005, 01:55 AM
It's funny because I watched that, and yet can't remember for the life of me what it was.

Anyway, I agree with the guy who said France was next.

Vyk
10-28-2005, 02:35 AM
Tomb Raider didn't have to be dumbed down for America. It had to be dumbed down for Japan. They can't take action games for some reason. But I guess that does make us look stupider. But I wouldn't say hardcore anywhere. They can tear up a puzzle game. But Tomb Raider is not their thing. Prince of Persia is not their thing. God of War is not their thing. Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Gaiden. Ha. Speaking of which. Their hard mode? Yeah, that somehow translates into "normal" or even "easy" for us >_>;

And yes, Dark Aeons were in the international and re-released Japanese versions of the game. Which came out after North America's release. Also, when Japan localizes a game for North American shores. It's usually for ALL of North America. Just to point out, that includes Canada.

I have to agree that they just realize we like a different taste in games usually. Which is, or at least was, embodied in the X-Box. A system that was completely modeled after Western tastes was almost completely unwelcome on Eastern shores. 'Cause they push the action games, and first person shooters, and stuff. Our tastes.

And I also agree they have made up for underestimating us over the years. Look at the strategy RPG genre. They were few and far between until the current generation of consoles. Nippon Ichi is soaking that crap up. Finally realizing we like that stuff. We could always rely on Atlus. But now the heavy hitters who usually let Atlus handle their questionable games realized. Namco and Konami aren't afraid to release a certain type of game over here anymore. Capcom has seemed to always love playing risks, I don't think they plan on stopping in the future either. America loves games. Just not as much, or in the same way as Japan.

bipper
10-28-2005, 03:26 AM
Also, when Japan localizes a game for North American shores. It's usually for ALL of North America. Just to point out, that includes Canada

Ah! So its thier fault! :p

Bipper

Reine
10-28-2005, 06:21 PM
The thing Im annoyedwith, is us Europeans not getting FF Tactics and all that.

And yes PiP, us Norwegians rule!

Shiny
10-29-2005, 09:12 PM
FFX released in Japan -> FFX released in US -> FFX International released in Japan (because the Japanese wanted more) -> FFX Internation released in Europe, under the name of FFX.

So yes, the Japanese do have all the extra stuff, in fact I think they even have an extra ending after you beat Penance, though I'm not sure.

It happened with FFX-2 as well, the Japanese got FFX-2 International and Final Mission, but because FFX-2 was released in Europe before that was released, we just got the normal version.

It's just about timing, really.
FFX-2 international was released in America; I saw it in gamestop. Eventhough it was probably in Japanese.

Odaisé Gaelach
10-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Europe is clever than America and Japan. Why do you think they had European Extreme in MGS2?

Little Miss Awesome
10-29-2005, 10:26 PM
From what I know Americans are just like any other countries people. There are the lovely people down to the nasty people, and since it's such a large country I think it would be unfair to group them all under one stereotype. I like American's, but I know a lot of my friends who don't like them because they think they're stupid and other nasty things, but they forget some of the cleverest people in the world were from America, and hundreds of the things they use today were invented in America!

Sasquatch
10-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Europe is clever than America and Japan. Why do you think they had European Extreme in MGS2?

I think you meant more clever. I'd have to say America is good than Europe, though.

nik0tine
10-29-2005, 10:43 PM
I think you meant more clever. I'd have to say America is good than Europe, though.
lawl

Breine
10-29-2005, 10:44 PM
A thing, that I thought I'd point out, is that Square has been known to make the PAL versions harder than the original ones... ;) That must mean that Europeans are smart! :D