PDA

View Full Version : Accents make me smile

Lord Xehanort
10-26-2005, 07:53 PM
A commercial just came on with an Englishman selling the Omelet Pan (GENIUS, BTW) and he had an accent. I don't have an accent, but I like them. My favorite accent is Irish/Celtic/Scottish/those kewl kids. What's your favorite accent?

Old Manus
10-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Accents suck. Apart from my one

Kamiko
10-26-2005, 07:55 PM
I am told I have a northern accent.
These freaking southerners have accents out their arses but anyway.
I like german accents.
Most European accents are cool actually.

Shoden
10-26-2005, 07:56 PM
My fav accent would be Geordie because it confuses the hell out of people.

Shoeberto
10-26-2005, 07:58 PM
I don't have an accent, but I like them.
Tell that to a/an [member of a country that isn't yours].

Craig
10-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Little Miss Awesome told me I have a Welsh accent once. I didn't believe her.

Old Manus
10-26-2005, 08:00 PM
I pity you.

Shauna
10-26-2005, 08:03 PM
You should her my Scottish accent. Apparantly, its awesome. :p

Kamiko
10-26-2005, 08:04 PM
It's pretty darn spiffy you random tellytubby you! [pinches cheeks]

Lord Xehanort
10-26-2005, 08:05 PM
I live In Midwest America... we have no accent. *cries at his lack of accent* We and the California are accentless!!!

But the South, East, and West (besides Cal) have accents.

Tasura
10-26-2005, 08:07 PM
I didn't think i have an accent but apparently i have a heavy Canadian accent, whatever the hell that is. I can also fame accents due to tv and movies such as Scotish/Irish/French/Sweedish Chef/German/Russian/etc.

Kamiko
10-26-2005, 08:07 PM
I live In Midwest America... we have no accent. *cries at his lack of accent* We and the California are accentless!!!

I don't.
I'm from Ohio.
And Florida and Floridians don't have accents either usually.

Meat Puppet
10-26-2005, 08:09 PM
psy's story about flying mullet

Lord Xehanort
10-26-2005, 08:09 PM
I forgot about Florida's existence...

Kamiko
10-26-2005, 08:10 PM
[sigh]...

Old Manus
10-26-2005, 08:11 PM

You have an american accent

Kamiko
10-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Is that an accent?
I guess it is, technically speaking...

Shoeberto
10-26-2005, 08:14 PM
You have an american accent
See, I tried to sort of nudge them towards realizing that on their own, but I guess I'm a failure and now I have to go break something because I can't get a real job. Thanks a lot, government!

Old Manus
10-26-2005, 08:14 PM
YOU SUCK

Zeldy
10-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Scousers.. hehehe..

Lord Xehanort
10-26-2005, 08:17 PM
'American' is not an accent, since America is a smoothie made of about 28 different juicy races... okay... stick with 'melting pot'...

America has at least 15 accents in it... and then there's the Midwest, Florida and California...

Old Manus
10-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Americans all sound the same

That's why I call them americans

GunbladeMaster
10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
american is a different version of english
the different dialects of american are:

New Yorkian-I live in Noo Yoik
Boston(ian?)-????
New Jerseyan-I came fwom J-yoi-see
Country\Texan- Now, I ain't namin' names. (ff7 Cids accent)

Lord Xehanort
10-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Very wrong... Southern Americans drawl, Eastern American (outside New york) speak through their nose, New York has about 50 accents alone, and then you have Ebonics... FO' SHIZZLE!!!!

EDIT: GBM beat me to it...

GunbladeMaster
10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
thats a lot to name

Old Manus
10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I guess i you had one from every area standing next to each other talking you could tell, but they all sound the same to somebody foreign.

Shoeberto
10-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Midwestern has a lot of mix-ups, from the Canadian-esque to the Southern-esque to the Generic American, which is what I assume I sound like.

Lord Xehanort
10-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Well... i live in Michigan, so I MIGHT sound Canadian... but I wwent to Canada and never said 'eh?' or 'aboot'...

Psychotic
10-26-2005, 08:26 PM
psy's story about flying mulletIt was a romance novel and it had Misfit as well. At least remember the details, jerk.

PS: http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/psychoticville/romancenovel.wav :love:

Shauna
10-26-2005, 08:32 PM
It's pretty darn spiffy you random tellytubby you! [pinches cheeks]

You've never heard me talk! >:(

I can also fame accents due to tv and movies such as Scotish

Can you now? I'd love to hear it.

There's more than one type of Scottish Accent... There's the Glaswegian accent, one similar to what I have, due to the fact I live near Glasgow. There's a different accent in Edinburgh, I think it's a little more English, etc.
So, like America, there's not just one overall accent, there's a good few ones.

Venom
10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
New york accents are cool.

Lord Xehanort
10-26-2005, 08:37 PM
WHICH New York accent?

Drift
10-26-2005, 09:06 PM
i have no accent :D

Tasura
10-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Can you now? I'd love to hear it.

Well, I am part Scottish, and If I had a mic with me Id record all of my accents.

Rye
10-26-2005, 09:07 PM
British, Queens and Boston accents. :)

Basically any type of Noo Yoikah accent and British accent.

Wuggly Blight
10-26-2005, 09:14 PM
I have a strong norfolk accent, its never shown in movies that the sheer varity of accents england has for a small land space. If you ever watched Titanic, you'll notice that none of the englishhas a accent. Also no english person actually has that accent they portay in the films.

Zeldy
10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Shauna said 'I was Better' but I thought she said 'I was Bitter' ;_;

Leeza
10-26-2005, 09:22 PM
My favourite accents would be British, Australian, Scottish/Irish. I used to have a strong Russian accent, but now I just sound French Canadian, which I am not. :cat:

Sasquatch
10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
New Yorkers have one general accent, but Floridians, Californians, and Midwesterners DO have accents.

I live in Wisconsin, so I have to deal with heavy yankee accents all the time. Like a Canadian dialect, but not as severe. Very often, I'm proud of my slight Southern accent, if for the sole reason of it meaning that I don't have a yankee accent.

Rye
10-26-2005, 09:48 PM
New Yorkers have one general accent, but Floridians, Californians, and Midwesterners DO have accents.

I live in Wisconsin, so I have to deal with heavy yankee accents all the time. Like a Canadian dialect, but not as severe. Very often, I'm proud of my slight Southern accent, if for the sole reason of it meaning that I don't have a yankee accent.

Untrue. There are like, 3 or 4 different New York accents. Queens, Brooklyn, Long Island and upstate, which really isn't an accent, kinda like with how Californians speak. Queens and Brooklyn could be considered one accent though. But there is definitely a difference between how an upstate accent, a Long Island accent, and a Queens/Brooklyn accent sound.

Long Island accents are whiny sounding and general make you sound like an annoying Mom.

Queen/Brooklyn accents elongate vowels. Like "Dawwwwg" and "Haaaairy Paddah" and "Awwwwrange." Brooklyn accents use D and G sounds a lot too in odd places. I have a Queens accent.

That's about all I know exactly.

Venom
10-26-2005, 09:59 PM
I want a new york accent:(

Big D
10-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Everyone has an accent, though people tend not to notice their own accents. 'Cause their own voice is 'normal' to them, so it doesn't stand out the way another person's will.

Anyway.

I've got a slightly unusual version of the New Zealand accent. I'm from the north, but I've absorbed the southern accent in the time I've been at university. People back home notice how I roll my Rs, for instance. But then, some people have trouble identifying me as a Kiwi at all.

I like accents. Scottish accents are neat. I'm part Scottish, so that helps. Central European are also nice - German, Austrian, Dutch, and so forth. As for North America, I particularly like Canadian and New York accents. I'm getting better at identifying the different US accents, but I'm not quite good enough to tell one part of New York from another...

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I was told I had a New Brunswick accent. I was like what the heck? NBers have accents? I think not.

Anyways, British accents are always nice to hear.

I hate heavy, gutteral French accents that old French males sometimes have, you can barelly tell what their saying...

Besides that I never was really exposed to many accents, though I have heard plenty attempts for English speaking people tp speak French with horrible (yet at times funny) English accents, for they try to pronouce words as they do in English.

tastetherainbow
10-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Dont really like accents,French accents are kinda funny though (no offense to French people).

GunbladeMaster
10-26-2005, 10:11 PM
they can also be annoying
Cough**Dr Odine**cough

Shoden
10-26-2005, 10:30 PM
there's several brit accents.

people In London, Yorkshire, Liverpool, Wales, Scotland, Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Derbyshire sound different to eachother.

I may have missed some out.

http://g.1asphost.com/Spyke2005/random%20voice%20recordation.wav example of my voice XD.

Samuraid
10-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Everyone has an accent...even people from California.

...although Californian accent does approch words pretty normally and doesn't add much strange emphasis or pronunciation to words.

Yamaneko
10-26-2005, 11:25 PM
We don't have accents because everyone else speaks crazy.

ZeZipster
10-26-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm Floridian. I say "dude" a lot. But I only notice how often I say "dude" when a real southerner mocks me for it.

Rydia of Mist
10-26-2005, 11:57 PM
I find French accents to be quite attractive. I thought this even before meeting my current SO; there's just something charming about it.

Jess
10-27-2005, 12:00 AM
I have two accents,I come from Newcastle so I can talk geordie, but I hae lived in Essex for the past 10 years so I can also talk like a southerner. So my accent can be pretty weird on the whole, because sometimes when I'm speaking like a southerner a few Geordie words will slip in here and there, and vice versa.

I don't know what my favourite accent is though, I love accents, they're fun. ^_^

Craig
10-27-2005, 12:19 AM
I think LMA only said that I sound Welsh because I said SHE sounds Welsh.

Because she does, and I don't.

Meat Puppet
10-27-2005, 12:38 AM
BoB's accent made my body lock the doors of the house at night time

Rye
10-27-2005, 12:39 AM
BoB's accent made my body lock the doors of the house at night time

But does your mind say YES?

Spiffing Cheese
10-27-2005, 12:41 AM
I have a Welsh accent (OKAY, I ADMIT IT!) and I sound rather retarded.

Captain Maxx Power
10-27-2005, 12:41 AM
I don't have an accent, but I like them.

What, are you incapable of speaking or something? Everyone has an accent if they talk, there's no such thing as not having an accent. I get it all the time with my northern twang, the "it must be cool having an accent", like it's something odd.

But yeah, accents facinate me. Heck, language in itself facinates me. When you look at just how complex it all is, the subtle changes in dialect overtime, how different accents meld into each other, how words are introduced and the meanings changed (there's an insurmountable number of words in common use today that aren't really related to their original use. For example, did you know Apocalypse used to refer until recencently to the giving of divine knowledge to another?).

Meat Puppet
10-27-2005, 12:43 AM
But does your libido say YES?

YES

Samuraid
10-27-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm Floridian. I say "dude" a lot. But I only notice how often I say "dude" when a real southerner mocks me for it.

More important that accents, each region has it's own colloquialisms.

kikimm
10-27-2005, 02:09 AM
I love English accents.

And Swedes speaking English. Any Scandinavian speaking English, really. I'LL TAKE ANYTHING

Reles
10-27-2005, 02:31 AM
I don't.
I'm from Ohio.

I'm from Kansas, and sorry to say it, but we have accents. We ourselves can't pick it up because we've been speaking it for (most) all of our lives. Everyone has accents, but they refuse to recognize it because it's normal to them. (Err, sorry I'm repeating someone here, didn't catch it though) Also, our grammar is downright horrible in Kansas compared to other states, may be the same with Ohio, I'm not sure.

And you're wrong about Florida, they have a southern accent, I've been to every main city in Florida on vacation and I think I came across only a few that didn't have accents, but yet this was a long time ago, all I know is that I heard a bunch of people speak in southern accents, just depends on where you go. Especially along that coast, like South Carolina, I went to Mrytle Beach and everyone there has that southern accent.

Everyone has an accent...even people from California.

...although Californian accent does approch words pretty normally and doesn't add much strange emphasis or pronunciation to words.

Also, they tend to speak faster then Midwesterners, I talk to someone from California everyday on the telephone, some say they talk differently, but except for the speed, I haven't noticed anything, maybe they use different words, but that's it.

XxSephirothxX
10-27-2005, 03:35 AM
I hate Southern accents, which is why it irks me so that I have one. :p

kikimm
10-27-2005, 03:42 AM
But Southern accents are cool. :(

Slade
10-27-2005, 06:03 AM
I absolutly love the Irish accent.

Erdrick Holmes
10-27-2005, 07:04 AM
British accents.

Ansem... did YOU just type the word "kewl" in that topic post?

Mneme
10-27-2005, 10:06 AM
I like the accent of an Australian girl I work with, wish I had one. Oddly though I don't enjoy listening to the men at all.

meowwl
10-27-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm from the American midwest, Missouri to be exact. I think that everybody has an accent, no matter where they're from. I run into people from Kansas every day, and notice a few differences in their accent...and they don't live that far away. I notice differences even in where people come from within the same city, never mind different coasts. I happen to love hearing the different speech patterns and oddball colloquialisms from different places...though I did get the giggles when a friend from Boston suggested I have a "potty on the potio" (party on the patio)...I really had to bite my toung to keep from saying that I'd prefer to keep the potty in the bathroom.:tongue: Confusions like that are always funny to me.:D

Lord Xehanort
10-27-2005, 10:57 AM
I don't.
I'm from Ohio.

Ohio is part of the Midwest...

Primus Inter Pares
10-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Accents are great, the British Isles have the best accents... and foa's accent too :p

silverpigeon97
10-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Stupid weegie accents are quite funny. Yorkshire accents are definitely the best, along wiv my awesome hull accent.

Lord Xehanort
10-27-2005, 11:10 AM
And you're wrong about Florida, they have a southern accent, I've been to every main city in Florida on vacation and I think I came across only a few that didn't have accents, but yet this was a long time ago, all I know is that I heard a bunch of people speak in southern accents, just depends on where you go. Especially along that coast, like South Carolina, I went to Mrytle Beach and everyone there has that southern accent.

Orlando and Tampa are the only cities I've seen of Florida, and everyone sounded either old, or accentless... their voices sounded like mine.

Midwesterners sound so bland... we have no elongated vowels, we have no hard letters, we have no d or g in random places... so bland...

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
10-27-2005, 11:23 AM
I have a hybrid of an americani-ish/ aussie accent, filos naturally have an american accent but ive been living downunder for 17 years out of my 18 years of existance so u could notice more of an aussie accent so yeah, it just friggen sounds weird ok!

accents though are pretty cool! really facsinated on how it all got started:D

SammieBabe
10-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Orlando and Tampa are the only cities I've seen of Florida, and everyone sounded either old, or accentless... their voices sounded like mine.

I was born and raised in Tampa. I have been told my many people from all over the states that I don't sound like a southerner. It greatly depends on what part of Florida you are in. Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Pensacola, you'll find alot more southern accents, being so close to Georgia and Alabama. Tampa, Orlando, Miami, not a lot of southern draws. Central and South Florida also have a lot more transplants than anywhere else in Florida.

Incidentally, I love most European and Austrailian accents. :love:

Chris
10-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Aussie accents makes me giggly and very HOT! :love:

Shoden
10-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Sunderland and Newcastle have slight different accents XD.

I don't understand, two cities near eachother sound slightly different.

crazybayman
10-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Is that an accent?
I guess it is, technically speaking...

'American' is not an accent, since America is a smoothie made of about 28 different juicy races... okay... stick with 'melting pot'...

America has at least 15 accents in it... and then there's the Midwest, Florida and California...
Of course you people have an accent. I bet if I spoke to you, not knowing beforehand you were from the US, I'd be able to tell you were, and obviously not the southern states.

I appreciate different accents and dialects, too.

I have a very distinct accent. Lets just say I don't speak the way I type, :p

fire_of_avalon
10-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Oh, Midwesterners definitely have a definable accent. I can tell a Midwesterner apart from anybody in a crowd of people. Also, I can pretty easily recognize the different versions of the "southern" accent. The most prominent accents in the South are South Carolinian, Virginian and Texan. Then to a lesser extent are North Carolina and Georgia. I have a bit of a North Carolinian accent, which is actually kind of plain. Also, Louisiana accents are easily recognizable. The only ones I have problems with are Tennesseian, Kentuckian and Alabama accents, because they don't sound like anything special to me.

Resha
10-27-2005, 02:07 PM
I have a fetish for wicked accents; I don't know why.

I absolutely love it if someone sounds very...SOMETHING. Anything! My fave accents so far would be Geordie (I seriously love their accent, I have no clue xD), Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Spanish and Southern, yes. I adore Southern accents. :love:

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-27-2005, 02:17 PM
I have a very distinct accent. Lets just say I don't speak the way I type, :p
Newfoundland has its own language...or so it seems at times...Though I find if their is any difference between regions, I think the Maritimes sound the same. Ontarionians at times sound unique, and samething for Quebequois. And I can't comment about Western Canada, for I have not really talked to anyone from there. Now if we are talking French, there is a big difference between Northern NB French and Southern NB French. Weird how all these languages start sounding different yet we are all speaking the same thing...

Also I know some people from Chicago, and they have accents too. So isn't that considered part of the Midwest?

Loony BoB
10-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Oh man, accents are freaking awesome. I get the feeling that a girl could far more easily arouse me with an incredible voice than an incredible body, that's for sure. I've been told my New Zealand accent is very strong by loads of people, so I guess I have a very strong NZ accent, yeah. Despite having lived in Scotland for three years, I've not picked up on any of their sayings or accents... weird, that. Oh well.

My favourite accents are...
A non-nasal Californian accent can be very sexy.
An Irish accent is just Godly. It makes me feel so... cozy. I think if an Irish person was to kidnap me, they'd have an easy job.
English and Scottish are so numerous it's kind of hard to say I like them in general... I mean, there's a new dialect and accent whenever you travel for an hour in any one direction. Crazy. But a Kent accent is very, very cute.
Italian and Jamaican accents have to be the most fun to listen to.
Southern American is also neat.
South African is also nice.

That pretty much covers it, I'd say.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. I shouldn't forget to say an Apu-like Indian accent is quite comical to listen to.

Heath
10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Scousers.. hehehe..

I should have a Scouse accent but managed to avoid it by moving to Wales. Hooray! I supposedly have an accent, but I never notice it.

Scottish accents for teh win. Oh, and West Country accents, if only for that Bill Bailey show:

"'ello there! I'm in Romala and... Yasser Arafat, he won't come out his compound! Come out Yasser! He won't come out! Come out Yasser, I've got trifle. Your favourite!"

Loony BoB
10-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Oh, yeah, that reminds me. I've lived with so many accents and talked to so many people from around the world (on the phone and while travelling) that I can actually notice my own accent.

Rusty
10-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Accents are very cool. I of course have an Australian accent. I'm not sure which is my favourite accent though.

SammieBabe
10-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Oh, yeah, that reminds me. I've lived with so many accents and talked to so many people from around the world (on the phone and while travelling) that I can actually notice my own accent.

Ditto. I am fully aware of my flat, boring accent.....

Resha
10-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Accents are very cool. I of course have an Australian accent. I'm not sure which is my favourite accent though.

I LOVE your accent. It's amazing.

Rydia of Mist
10-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Are you still incapable of saying "no"?

Loony BoB
10-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Are you still incapable of saying "no"?
I have noi dea what you're talking about.

Rydia of Mist
10-27-2005, 03:33 PM
I have noi dea what you're talking about.
X3 I so have to talk to you on the phone or via voicechat again. It's been tooooo loonnngggg.

Hell, we need more group voicechats like Back In The Day, yanno?

Loony BoB
10-27-2005, 03:35 PM
X3 I so have to talk to you on the phone or via voicechat again. It's been tooooo loonnngggg.

Hell, we need more group voicechats like Back In The Day, yanno?
They still happen, just not always when I'm around to get involved. You just have to know the right people. Times have changed, get with 'em! Nowadays you need to keep up with the likes of Shauna, Spiffing Cheese, Faris and Resha if you want in on every vchat. I think they have them really often, actually. And Resha has one of the coolest voices ever. And Faris says emu as 'e-moo' and it's amusing.

Rydia of Mist
10-27-2005, 03:39 PM
And Faris says emu as 'e-moo' and it's amusing.
That's how I pronounce it. >>

Loony BoB
10-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Oh, you AmeriCanadians, you're so silly. *pat*

Sasquatch
10-27-2005, 04:17 PM
There are like, 3 or 4 different New York accents.

I realize this, but I said there's a general New York accent, just lik there's a general Northern accent, a general Southern accent, a general English accent, etc. Somebody who's familiar with them all might be able to pick out different regions it was picked up -- like somebody mentioned different styles of English accents, or different styles of Southern accents -- but to others, they'd just recognize a general accent. You might be able to differentiate between a Queens and Bronx accent and think I have a Southern accent, but somebody else might think you just have a New York accent and I have a Georgian accent, see?

I don't think there is a Florida accent, but everybody in Florida has an accent. Usually a yankee accent, seeing as there are a lot of "snowbirds" or retirees, but it depends on where they're from originally, and who they've been around (and picked up accents from) since they got to Florida. Most "Southerners" really don't consider Florida a "part of the South".

CaZ!
10-27-2005, 04:26 PM
A geordie accent is just so the best!!!!!!!111 :D

Trumpet Thief
10-27-2005, 06:16 PM
chaos: I love a good ol' Scottish accent.

Trowa: Three of my cousins live in England. I've gotten used to their accents after a few of their visits. :eek:

Shoden
10-27-2005, 06:42 PM
A geordie accent is just so the best!!!!!!!111 :D

lol here's something for ya.

Tasura
10-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Ive ben in a few of the voice chats, they are interesting o say the least, and damn my nosey parents cause I couldnt talk with them in the same rom, grrr. But yea, Ive also picked up the Apu accent from many hours of the simpsons.