PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower

fire_of_avalon
10-28-2005, 04:24 PM
I know RSL and Sepho are fans, but anyone else? I only recently got into the series, though I've been a King fan forever and ever. I'm on V: Wolves of the Calla, and I thought I might take a little break because all of the bookstores around here only have the super expensive version which I don't want. But I was just reading a synopsis and Father Callahan is in it and Father Callahan was probably one of the most heart wrenching characters ever (in 'Salem's Lot) so I must have it now, yes.

Anyway, discuss the books as much as you like, but please mark all spoilers. For example. Book IV? Yeah, pretty much all of that has to be spoilermarked.

Also feel free to use this as a general Stephen King thread, as many of his works are involved in The Dark Tower series.

Shoeberto
10-28-2005, 09:08 PM
I've read up to about 150 pages into Wizard and Glass. I haven't found time to read much more of it lately, but it is really good.

My favorite is still The Gunslinger, though.

Zell's Fists of Fury
10-29-2005, 01:33 AM
STOP WHILE YOU STILL CAN

Trust me. After the Wolves of Calla the series takes a giant turd. I seriously wish I hadn't read the last two. I mean don't get me wrong. Every book up to those were simply amazing and are my favortie books, but the final two books are just... blah. You can tell they were rushed and hadn't had nearly as much thought poured into them like the others were. In fact, don't read the final ten pages of Wolves. I read them and thought to myself "Wow, if that continues, I'm going to be very dissappointed." And I was. AWFUL AWFUL. BAD STEPHEN BAD.

Sasquatch
10-29-2005, 01:53 AM
I've been into the Dark Tower series for about a little more than a year, maybe, and I'm still on Wolves of the Calla (Book V). I've always been a big Stephen King fan, and I love how he's incorporating a hellovalot of his other works in with this one ... I'll be reading along, and be like "wait a minute!". Good stuff. I don't know if I can NOT read the last two, though ... I'll get to 'em.

HUGE I've heard in the last book, the ka-tet actually MEETS Stephen King. Like, as if they've come to our world and are meeting him. Weird.

fire_of_avalon
10-29-2005, 02:07 AM
Yeah, Sasquatch, I've seen hints of that in synopses, but I've managed to keep myself under controll and not look at them.

AND SHUT UP SPIFF I HAVE TO FIND OUT ON MY OWN, WHAT IF I LOVE THEM HUH HUH HUH?

Just because nothing can compare to Wizard and Glass doesn't mean they fail. Wizard and Glass = <3

Sepho
10-29-2005, 02:10 AM
Oh man oh man oh man oh man.

I'm not a big horror fan (I'm talkin' books here), so the seven Dark Tower books are the only seven Stephen King books I've ever read. I couldn't have spent more than a couple days on any of them - I remember one time when I woke up in the morning, read, and then went to sleep. That was it. Good times.

The relatively little time I've been in contact with King's writing is all that's needed to warrant his position as one of my favorite authors.

HUGE I've heard in the last book, the ka-tet actually MEETS Stephen King. Like, as if they've come to our world and are meeting him. Weird.

Edit: I suppose I should spoiler it all then. The reply to your spoiler is from someone who's read the last book, so view at your own risk.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I think you'll find it interesting how King portrays his own character, and how Roland and co. interact with him and feel about him.

Just because nothing can compare to Wizard and Glass doesn't mean they fail. Wizard and Glass = <3

Wizard and Glass is my favorite of all seven, but if it's still yours by the time you finish reading the series, you'll be the only other person I know who's in the same boat

Leeza
10-29-2005, 02:14 AM
Yes, that is true, Sasquatch. Sad.

I agree with Spiff, although I still did not read the last book as of yet. Wolves of the Calla is better than Wizard and Glass, I thought, and Song of Suzanah (sp) definitely took a turn for the worse.

I have read all of his books and even though the majority of them have weird endings, I still enjoy them all. Desperation and The Regulators were two of my favs. Same with Insomnia.

EDIT: Sepho, his books aren't all horror. Some are just weird space alien stuff. and Tears of the Dragon is a fantasy. Good and no horror at all.

Sepho
10-29-2005, 02:23 AM
EDIT: Sepho, his books aren't all horror. Some are just weird space alien stuff. and Tears of the Dragon is a fantasy. Good and no horror at all.

I know, but that's what he's known for, and I wasn't hesitant at all about giving the Dark Tower a try. I have started reading a couple of his other (non-horror) books (i.e. The Talisman), and at least one of his many Dark Tower-related titles I plan on reading at some point in time is horror, so I'm open to the genre.

fire_of_avalon
10-29-2005, 02:33 AM
Desperation was an fantastic book, too. I've been wondering for a while how Desperation/The Regulators are involved with The Dark Tower series (if they are) because I seemed to notice similarities between the speech of Tak and of some of the things Roland talks about. Also that Tak is most likely a speaking demon because of the fact that touching it's artifact make Lubbock and Tu-Tone go sex mad (Sorry I can't remember their real names. Okay, I now remember that the man is Steve, but I just called them Lubbock and Tu-Tone throughout the books xD

Also! I want to know why Flagg has nothing to fear from Roland's weapons, but is piss scared when Roland pulls out the Ruger near the end of Wizard and Glass. Is it because he's OF what I've come to think of as "our" world, so only "our" weapons can hurt him? If that's true, then are the rest of Roland's ka-tet immortal?

Also, I really, really hope book V let's me know what happens to Cuthbert and Alain.

And honestly, I don't know how anything can really compare to Wizard and Glass. I'm not saying it won't, but... yeah. Seeing Roland make that choice as something barely more than a boy? ;_;

Sepho
10-29-2005, 02:43 AM
If you're real big on backstory (like me) then Wizard and Glass has a mountain of appeal for series fans, but Wolves is a very, very, very enjoyable book.

kikimm
10-29-2005, 04:06 AM
Argh. I bought The Gunslinger ages ago, but I still haven't read it yet. I've really got to start it soon. But I think that's what I sai the last time a thread like this came around.

Stephen King is really good. I don't really like horror either, but this guy...he's pretty good. Oh, and Leeza, I think you're talking about The Eyes of the Dragon. Which was awesome. That and Salem's Lot are the only books I've read by him though. I'm glad Father Callahan's in this. :heart: He was excellent in Salem's Lot.

RSL
10-29-2005, 04:31 AM
I agree with Spiff somewhat. The last two books were disappointing in a way, but I can't recommend that you just stop reading. You should see how it all ends up.

I've a hage Dark Tower nut. I became a fan when there were only three books, and I had to wait a long time for book 4 and even longer for book 5. But then, as Spiff mentioned, he kind of just crapped out books 6 and 7 so close together. It's so weird that it's all finished now.

I've read a few of King's other non horror works. I enjoyed The Stand and Insomnia quite a bit. I also really liked Eyes of the Dragon, which is completely different than anything else he has ever done. I recommend it to anyone who likes traditional fantasy. It's also one of his shorter books if you are intimidated by the long length of a lot of his novels.

foa, I recommend that you keep reading. It's an interesting journey to the end, even if I didn't always like what was going on.

And, as a reminder as to how I've been at EoFF forever, I remember making a Dark Tower thread at the old ezboard. It got one reply, I think.

Spatvark
10-29-2005, 05:47 AM
The Talisman and Black House, they're my favourite King books, though of course, they were written with Peter Straub. I've been meaning to start reading the Dark Tower books for ages, since they're heavily referred to in Black House. I also really liked The Dark Half, but haven't read that in an age since a friend borrowed it and then turned out to be a complete fucker.

Leeza
10-29-2005, 05:59 AM
The Talisman and The Black House are also definitely good, but then I pretty much think that any book of King's that I have just finished reading is my favourite. They're all good so everyone should just read them all. I find his non-horror books to be the scariest though. Non-horror as in actually being possible. Not Eyes of the Dragon (yes, kikimm, I was thinking of something else), but books like Gerald's Game and Misery (except for the end part of Misery which was just stupid).

Mitch
10-29-2005, 07:36 AM
Hell yes! The Dark Tower is the shizzle. I bought Wolves of Calla a while ago for quite a hefty price but haven't really started it yet. Too much else on really. But I love all the ones so far :):)

childroland
10-29-2005, 06:46 PM
I am currently half way through Wizard and glass but I plan on reading the whole series.

Sasquatch
10-29-2005, 10:19 PM
I just remembered this. When I was in Iraq, I overheard a radio transmission to FOB Gunslinger, of which the commanding unit's call-sign was "Roland". Found that to be pretty damn cool.

And yeah, King has quite a few non-horror books. I thought Firestarter was even better than the movie (which was also great, and helped start my childhood crush on Drew Barrymore), as was The Stand, which I read in like sixth grade. I did really like Misery, and the movie's really good too, but I also like Kathy Bates (I believe her name is, the woman that played in Misery) because she isn't very attractive (especially for Hollywood, I mean), so she has to get movie parts solely on her acting ability, which is phenominal. Also, if you know a little bit about baseball, you can pick up The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, which is pretty good. Originally, I only bought that because the Tom Gordon referred to through the book is the same Tom "Flash" Gordon that was a relief pitcher for the Chicago Cubs, a while after Boston traded him ... but he's been with like half a dozen teams. Anyway.

I think his best, that I've read, are The Stand, Firestarter, and Needfull Things. I think Needfull Things is even better than Salem's Lot, actually, but that could be just me. Excellent read.

Look at me, I underlined all the book titles, like I'm special or something. Wheee.

Captain Maxx Power
10-29-2005, 10:57 PM
I've heard of these books, but like most of King's literature, I've felt no real desire to sit down and read a whole book, let alone a series. I just feel as though I'd be dissapointed immensly if I do, just like every other major social phenomena.

fire_of_avalon
10-30-2005, 03:17 AM
So start with his short stories or novellas. Or even his shorter novels, like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon that Sasquatch mentioned. For short stories, I recommend Everything's Eventual, because it has a good mix of different things, and even a little peep into the world of Roland Deschain.

I need to read Eyes of the Dragon. And everything else. I like Stephen King :D

Out of curiosity, has anyone read his non-fiction stuff like Danse Macabre or On Writing? I've been wanting to read them, but I can't find them anywhere.

Sasquatch
10-30-2005, 05:41 AM
For short stories, I recommend Everything's Eventual, because it has a good mix of different things, and even a little peep into the world of Roland Deschain.

As soon as I read Maxx Power's post, I thought of that...then read your post, and you beat me to it. Awesome book, great stories. Read it at least three or four times.

krissy
10-30-2005, 07:47 AM
yeah im on wolves rigth now too
can't wait for some free time
instead of finding it i browse internet forums yay planning

Squall7
11-05-2005, 12:25 AM
My favorite is still The Gunslinger, though.

I thought Wizard and Glass was better.

I've been into the Dark Tower series for about a little more than a year, maybe, and I'm still on Wolves of the Calla (Book V).

That's where I am.

Desperation was an fantastic book, too. I've been wondering for a while how Desperation/The Regulators are involved with The Dark Tower series (if they are) because I seemed to notice similarities between the speech of Tak and of some of the things Roland talks about.

Tak and the Little Sisters of Eluria speak the same language (Unformed). Roland fought the Little Sisters of Eluria a few years before the main events depicted in The Gunslinger take place.

Do not post more than once in a row. If you need to add something to your previous post, use the edit/delete button. ~ Leeza

Oh. Sorry about that.

Has anyone read The Colorado Kid yet?