PDA

View Full Version : Vagrant Story

enigma1234
10-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Anyone there played this game?

Spatvark
10-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Absolutely adore the game, even though it drives me freaking insane at times. Even though I own a proper copy of it, I refuse to play it on my PS1 anymore coz' of the annoying hanging when I cast certain spells. And god, I remember my first time through the game, when I really didn't understand the weapons system properly. Trying to fight that damn Earth Dragon in Snowfly Forest, while doing 1 damage a hit was nightmarish. But I love the storyline so much, absolutely adore it and Callo Merlose is just awesome. <3 her.

I'd love to see a remake of Vagrant Story where they put all the stuff they had to cut out of the original to make it fit onto the PS1, like the whole supporting characters idea. Hopefully, too, they wouldn't have to use the file system they created solely for VS, which was the cause of so many hangings when spells were cast. Man, I'd so kill for a VS remake~

Necronopticous
10-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Probably my favorite non-Final Fantasy game of all time. I actually spent the time needed to create an ultimate 1h sword with perfect blade and grip.

Dreddz
10-28-2005, 09:41 PM
One of the few games that I gave up on.....hard as nails, and as confusing as life......

enigma1234
10-28-2005, 11:46 PM
YES, Vagrant Story is indeed a great game....the game is soooo good that you'll get a headache because its soooo difficult but still it is one of my favorite game.

Collect all the damascus items and the ultimate weapon (Callose Merlose Sin weapon) it looks like a cross sword...did you guyz notice in the end ashley acquired the sin symbol....hihihi
I think the story didn't finished in PS1. I hope they make a sequel of it.

Mneme
10-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Vagrant Story is one of my favourite PS games. The look, the story, the non sucking translation... the extra weapons. Never understood why people found it quite so hard. Chaining wasn't that difficult and unless you were facing someone with magic sending your risk sky rocketing never hurt that much.

the end ashley acquired the sin symbol.....

Uh... yeah. Thought that was the point. That by the end Ashley had taken on the key and become the focus for the city's power.

Dreddz
10-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Chaining wasn't that difficult and unless you were facing someone with magic sending your risk sky rocketing never hurt that much.

for like an hour of the game I was only doing 1 damage to things, I got a little past the golem and said smurf it and then got Star Ocean Second story as a replacement, well worth it..

Mneme
10-29-2005, 12:29 AM
If you kept chaining it would go up by about 2 every attack. Then if you took a hit a high risk it would reduce roughly a third to half your life... this combined with 'raging ache' (which let you deal damage dependant on your own) usually left you doing okay damage. Just came naturally to me for some reason. I'm not insulting your ability in anyway, I just get surprised that so many people just gave up on Vagrant Story rather than sticking it out and finding their own tactics.

Necronopticous
10-29-2005, 12:53 AM
Vagrant Story was one of the hardest post 8-bit games I've ever played, regardless of tactics.

Dreddz
10-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Vagrant Story was one of the hardest post 8-bit games I've ever played, regardless of tactics.
If I had a solution I'd give the game a shot, but the gamefaq's i find all make is sound like its simple, but its not dammit, I havent sold it or nothing, because one day, I will go back and beat it, but it is truely at the bottem of my list.

Carmilla
10-29-2005, 03:53 PM
I just picked it up brand new for like $15.
Im itching to give it a try but i have about 10 other games ive yet to even open, let alone play yet. :mog:

TurkSlayer
10-29-2005, 03:55 PM
I picked up a copy a little while back and I haven't gotten very far. It's pretty good so far.

enigma1234
10-30-2005, 01:17 AM
The hardest part is in the end you'll be facing bosses from time to time until you face the last boss Romeo Guildenstern w/sin symbol and ultimate sword.

Mneme
10-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Eh? You never fight Merlose in this game. Guildernstern is the last boss.

enigma1234
10-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Eh? You never fight Merlose in this game. Guildernstern is the last boss.

SPOILER:Romeo Guildenstern is the last boss with sin symbol+ultimate sword you'll be fighting him on the top of the tower...

Aphelion
10-30-2005, 12:33 PM
I own a copy, but I haven't beaten it yet. As far as I've gone (...15 hours of gameplay?), it is hard, confusing, dark, but great. Few games with opposite "polarities" (a terribly bothering atmosphere + ...well, one of the greatest stories ever) attract me so much.

Dreddz
10-30-2005, 02:33 PM
I dont like the atmosphere either, from how far ive got, its all dark gritty and bland, and repetative.....

Destai
10-30-2005, 10:48 PM
I think the game has a beautiful style to it. I'd like to pick up an art book of it sometime. I might try to pick it up sometime after christmas.

kikimm
11-02-2005, 02:21 AM
From what I played (about 2 or 3 hours) it was an excellent game. I'm just...scared of it being too hard, which is why I stopped.

I know, I'm horrible.

I really want to play it though. It looks like it would be...awesome.