PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn't You Like Advent Children?!

zo-sama
10-29-2005, 03:21 AM
This thread is mainly directed at the people who didn't think Advent Children was a good movie. I'm not here to verbally abuse the people who hated it, I'm just curious to know why you thought it was bad.

People are saying it had practically no plot, which I don't really agree with. Being an hour and a half long movie, I think there is a sufficient amount of plot. How do you see there being little plot? Please explain.

Action and good graphics were not the only things the movie had to offer. Not only does it try to tackle interesting themes pertaining to forgiveness and guilt, but has some interesting symbolism that people are continuing to discuss in these forums.

I also don't agree with the opinion of no character development. It is obvious that the creators are expecting you to play the game before watching Advent Children. You are expected to already know the characters, as their real development took place in the video game. Considering the time and budget limit, I think Square-Enix did a very good job. I'm not trying to bash the people who dislike Advent Children, and I respect their opinions, but please address more specifically what you didn't like about the movie.

Lord Sanchez
10-29-2005, 03:29 AM
as soon as i saw this thread i knew i wud be the only 1 replying...u just can't not like ff7AC its flawless:D

raskerino
10-29-2005, 03:49 AM
First I'll say I liked Advent Children, but it had problems so I'll reply.

First plot, I don't think there is much plot, hmmm... how to explain, it didn't have much of a plot, I can't show this too well- there just was not much of a plot. Because the last 30 minutes were fighting they had maybe 40 minutes to develop a plot. But oh yeah there were also a bunch of fights there too, giving very little time for an actual plot. It just wasn't very good.

Characters- Red 13, Barret, Yuffie, Cid, all highly developed characters.
Reno- Comedy, fought bad guys, offered Cloud a job. very developed.
Rude- Same as above.
Rufus- Had Jenova all along, talked a little with Kadaj.
Kadaj- Wanted to become one with Jenova, got kids with Geostigma together for the reunion, not a lot of character nor did it change at all during the movie.
Loz & Yazoo- You can like them but they weren't at all developed or anything, they were henchmen just important for fights.
Tifa- Thought she was OK, but as this was a movie with 30-50 minutes to develop characters they couldn't do much.
Cloud- Fought the enemy... had super powers in combat (I had to remind myself about 10 times that he can't fly, it's just jumping and the wind), didn't develop much, had two problems. One was Geostigma whether to run away or fight, he chose to fight after about 5 minutes, deep. And guilt of Aeris which was done OK, except I can't stand Aeris so it didn't work for me.
Marlene- Cared for Denzel, another highly developed character. Didn't do much else.
Denzel- Hmmm... got sick.
Everyone else- even less important.

[begin blatant sarcasm] As you can see the subtlety and depth was stunning, the plot was intricate and detailed with many interesting and forseeable twists.[end sarcasm]

I want in something an interesting story with interesting characters. This lacked that.

Considering the time and budget limit, I think Square-Enix did a very good job.

OK, that doesn't defend a thing, it still should have had better characters. My opinion though is that it didn't make sense in the form of a movie, as it had very little plot, as an action movie it was OK but for an RPG based movie it could have had decent characters and an interesting storyline.

This is all my opinion.

I did like Advent Children, and this was probably written sloppily cause I'm dead sleepy.

Odaisé Gaelach
10-29-2005, 09:12 PM
I didn't play VII, so I didn't understand the plot much at all. I didn't care anyway - I just dedicated my attention to the brilliant fight scenes.:D

Markus. D
10-30-2005, 03:24 AM
The only problem i have with the movie is that... there was no getting to like the characters... they didnt have many special moments where you could make a personall understanding with them.

apart from Cloud and Kadaj ovcourse.

They shouldve involved all the characters introduced as main characters be involved more... not just a couple of lines.

bipper
10-30-2005, 07:52 PM
IT seemed like they just gutted the FMV's out of a final fantasy game...

Also, like tsukasa said, the characters were put too far aside. I mean, I only seen em all fight together once. Thier stories all sucked as well. And what the hell was the Cat from Cait sith doing there? WTH... that really bugged me.

I did really like the movie though. Best Eye candy ever.

Bipper

Destai
10-30-2005, 08:02 PM
I liked the movie for what it was and I've been told good movies dont have deep plots plus I wasnt looking for one with this movie. It showed all my favourite characters and had exciting fights so Im perfectly happy.

Masamune·1600
10-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Most of the criticism of Advent Children is made without the critic being fully aware of certain facets of the movie.

Perhaps the most important point is that AC is not merely a sequel; it's also a part of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII. Specifically, AC was meant to elucidate certain specifics regarding Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris, just as Dirge of Cerberus will help clarify matters pertaining to Vincent (and, who knows, maybe the other characters as well). The characterization of Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris was well executed, particularly if one has read Kazushige Nojima's novella On the Way to a Smile, which helps bridge FFVII and AC. Not only does On the Way to a Smile allow for much deeper insight into (and, by extension, a deeper appreciation for) the dynamics between Cloud and Tifa, it also does much to explain the otherwise "mysterious" character of Denzel. It also helps clarify the nature of Geostigma, although this still requires a certain amount of reasoning by the reader/viewer.

As to the plot of the movie itself, its apparent simplicity is not necessarily a drawback. Rather, it assumes a very accurate understanding of the more complex plot elements of FFVII, and then builds upon them, creating a single episode resulting from the nature of Sephiroth's defeat at the end of the original game. Ignoring the sheer artisitc brilliance of the symbolism embedded within AC, the actual plot (while not overly extended) still challenges the viewer.

Of course, my saying this doesn't preclude anyone's still disliking the movie, or certain aspects of it. I would recommend, however, reading On the Way to a Smile; this novella can only enhance one's appreciation for the movie.

bipper
10-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Most of the criticism of Advent Children is made without the critic being fully aware of certain facets of the movie.

Perhaps the most important point is that AC is not merely a sequel; it's also a part of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII.

I really don't think I can go with this. The movie expands beyond the rights of even an epilouge and expands quite a bit on the story of seven. Therefore - it is a sequel. I do think it had a very deep plot, for what it was. Definatley not as deep as the longer final fantasy games.

Specifically, AC was meant to elucidate certain specifics regarding Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris, just as Dirge of Cerberus will help clarify matters pertaining to Vincent (and, who knows, maybe the other characters as well). The characterization of Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris was well executed, particularly if one has read Kazushige Nojima's novella On the Way to a Smile, which helps bridge FFVII and AC. Not only does On the Way to a Smile allow for much deeper insight into (and, by extension, a deeper appreciation for) the dynamics between Cloud and Tifa, it also does much to explain the otherwise "mysterious" character of Denzel. It also helps clarify the nature of Geostigma, although this still requires a certain amount of reasoning by the reader/viewer.

That is all great and all, but I think this all represents another negative in the whole direct sequals taking on many forms of media as the matrix did. I think it tends to screw things up quite a bit. I am not a huge fan of reading books for entertainment. I would agree if these mediums used were merely real compilations, but they usually find themselves story building.

Also, to clarify my earlier point. I agree that the main characters got a good solid base in the movie; but there were more characters introduced and revisited that should have recieved more of the spotlight. The jumpiness and scene translation really made the movies seem jumpy enough. That coupled with the lack of depth in several parts - really made the movie loose a lot of steam in my opinion.

As to the plot of the movie itself, its apparent simplicity is not necessarily a drawback. Rather, it assumes a very accurate understanding of the more complex plot elements of FFVII, and then builds upon them, creating a single episode resulting from the nature of Sephiroth's defeat at the end of the original game. Ignoring the sheer artisitc brilliance of the symbolism embedded within AC, the actual plot (while not overly extended) still challenges the viewer.

Of course, my saying this doesn't preclude anyone's still disliking the movie, or certain aspects of it. I would recommend, however, reading On the Way to a Smile; this novella can only enhance one's appreciation for the movie.
I do agree here. There was a ton of deeper meanings and a ton of symbolism in the whole mix. I did love this movie, but not as a movie. To me, it gets the respect of what should have been an extended version of final fantasy VII upon a rerelise or somthing. It seems to be more of a bit of bonus material in some aspects, like you had said. Then they try and strech it into a movie, it really looses a lot. I would say, to me, it seemed to stand out too much to be bonus material, and not enough to be a movie. Not Enitrly a complilation as it adds a lot of out of plot elements. Things that need not be mentioned to explain the story, or support the given explination.

Bipper

Chaddywack
11-01-2005, 07:05 AM
what the hell was the Cat from Cait sith doing there? WTH... that really bugged me.

I'm embarassed for you for having said that.

Althought Cait Sith is probably my least favourite FF character of all time, there is not "Cat from Cait SIth" - That Cat IS Cait Sith... or Cait Sith 2, depending on how you look at it. He just happens to be controlling an overstuffed moogle in FFVII with the use of a megaphone.

Neco Arc
11-01-2005, 08:14 AM
the thing i disliked was that cait sith was not riding a giant moogle, other than that is was an ok movie... good have done with a more detailed plot but oh well: beggars cant be choosers..

bipper
11-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Well, reeve controlled cait sith... so I guess I wonder why he matters enough to still be around. I ain't saying he sucks, I am just thinking that it is weird that he is back... as it seems like he does not do to much either ;) Also, they make no mention of Reeve.

Bipper

Russ80
11-05-2005, 07:00 AM
I had no clue who anyone was throughout most of the movie (cept obviously for the main ones like Cloud and Tifa). I've only played about 30 minutes of FF7.

I shouldn't have to spend 50 hours on a video game and several more reading obscure books to know who the people in a movie are.

And how the h*ll could you consider the story rushed??? FF7 came out, what, 8 years ago?

Lady Relena
11-05-2005, 07:46 AM
I really hated that Cloud was such a crybaby about Aeris. I mean Aeris has been dead for almost three years already, you would think that he would have come to terms with her death by now. It's also really unhealthy how he lives his life like it's a shrine to Aeris, especially since the ending showed Aeris go back into the life stream with Zack (her official boyfriend).:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-05-2005, 08:13 PM
didnt play 7 but understand it thxs to EOFF :D