PDA

View Full Version : Your diet and your reason.

Dingo Jellybean
10-29-2005, 04:41 AM
This is a chance for you to describe your diet and why you are on your diet. Note that most people consider a diet as what you eat regularly, not how healthy your foods are.

For me, I generally limit the amount of meat I eat, to maybe no more than 1.5 lbs. a week. I eat mostly lean meats.

I do eat fish, salmon and tuna are always good. And of course I always have at least 6 fruit/vegetable servings a day. This includes 2 bananas, at least 2 apples, 3oz of carrots, and 1 cup of brocolli. I do eat yogurt everyday as well. And yeah, I drink 10 glasses of water a day too, in addition to 3 glasses of milk and 1 glass of OJ. Though I do take one Centrum (a multivitamin) every 2-3 days.

Of course I didn't always eat like this. I use to eat a lot of junk and never gained a pound (still 6' and 123 lbs.), but switching to a healthier diet wasn't due to lack of success gaining weight.

Admittedly I switched because I had a mild acne problem. It wasn't too bad or anything, but even a few pimples can hurt your self-esteem...for guys or girls of any age. But ever since I switched to my healthier diet, I haven't had a pimple in 1 month, and whatever pimples I had before healed within 2-3 days.

It's been a month since I've been on this diet and my face isn't as red...it's practically even with the rest of my body. And I have a healthy complexion without makeup.

It's funny how dermatologists tell you that diet does not affect your skin. Of course if you can do something about your own skin without going back to them, why would they tell you? They'd lose money of course. I've even skipped days on putting acne medication and didn't suffer a breakout because of it since I switched diets. Of course I get other benefits (too many to list) from a healthier diet, but I will admit that my skin was my main reason to switch.

Though I'm not saying everyone will benefit (in terms of their skin) from a healthy diet, but I know I am and I'm sure there are others who will to.

Of course I do eat an occassional slice of junk food, maybe a cheeseburger or slice of pizza, but this is like once every 2-3 weeks...and I cancel it out with 2 apples anyways.

So yeah...discuss.

Kirobaito
10-29-2005, 04:45 AM
I eat a lot of junk food and have very few pimples. Diet does not affect your skin. Unless you don't wipe your mouth. Correlation does not equal causation.

I don't eat as healthy as I should, but meh.

escobert
10-29-2005, 04:50 AM
I'm on the eat what I want when I feel like it diet :D

Shlup
10-29-2005, 04:52 AM
I eat a lot of pastas and potatos because they're cheap. I'd prefer fruits and veggies and eat them a lot, but I still end up eating more pasta than I should. I limit my meat intake, but I love meat so no way I'm joining team veggo.

I usually eat something sugary everyday. Usually a smoothy, so it's mostly fruit. My treat for the day is 1/2 a candy bar though. xD I can't eat anymore of it! I'll get sick. xP

I eat fairly healthy 'cause... I like to and I don't want to be a fatty. Yup.

Dingo Jellybean
10-29-2005, 04:52 AM
Diet does not affect your skin.

That's what I thought before. But never in my past 5 years since I first started having pimples have I ever gone a month without having 1 pimple. And I don't believe I'm growing out of my acne because it doesn't just go away in one month. Last month had a couple of pimples and such, so I decided to switch diets.

I don't think it's just a coincidence. There is research that shows the prevalance of acne is extremely high in western societies compared with that of 3rd world countries. A lot of people in these 3rd world countries never develop a pimple in 2 years of documented study.

Shlup
10-29-2005, 04:54 AM
I would have to agree with that. Aside from acne, diet does affect your skin. A lot.

Shoeberto
10-29-2005, 05:00 AM
From my research on the subject, diet does not inherently affect your skin, but stress does. A bad diet is a stress on your system, therefore causing skin (I'm talking acne, here) problems.

edit: Oh, and I have a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty diet. I try to eat well, with a mixture of things, making sure I get what I should be getting and not eating so much bad stuff, but I get lazy and don't always follow through with that. So I suck.

Kirobaito
10-29-2005, 05:02 AM
I would have to agree with that. Aside from acne, diet does affect your skin. A lot.
Well, yes, I know that diet can affect your complexion (if you eat nothing but carrots for a month, you can turn orange), but what I was referring to was acne. There is simply not enough evidence to support the notion that diet affects how much acne you have, from my own experiences and from a general perspective. There are simply too many other factors involved.

-N-
10-29-2005, 05:10 AM
Hormonal swings have a greater effect on acne production than diet.

I can eat whatever the hell I want because I don't metabolize most of it anyways.

Dingo Jellybean
10-29-2005, 05:12 AM
Well, yes, I know that diet can affect your complexion (if you eat nothing but carrots for a month, you can turn orange), but what I was referring to was acne. There is simply not enough evidence to support the notion that diet affects how much acne you have, from my own experiences and from a general perspective. There are simply too many other factors involved.

I was skeptical at first. You don't see results in a few days or even a few weeks, but I was willing to stick with it. I was willing to stick with it for 3 months, but the fact that I saw results in 1 month tells me something. My face actually feels smooth to the touch, it's not pimple-ly like a new basketball.

But just because there isn't enough evidence to support it does not imply there is enough evidence to go against it. There's a forum called acne.org where hundreds to thousands of people say that diet has helped their acne. Some people hinted that they didn't have enough zinc in their diet.

Of course many factors can affect acne, but I believe diet can be a MAJOR factor...in my case as well as many others. But of course there are some who can eat whatever and not get a pimple.

-N-
10-29-2005, 05:13 AM
You sound like an infomercial. :p

I actually have heard of folic acid and zinc alleviating such conditions, though.

Dingo Jellybean
10-29-2005, 05:19 AM
You sound like an infomercial. :p

I actually have heard of folic acid and zinc alleviating such conditions, though.

Yes, I know...but I'm not endorsing any product. So I can't be an infomercial :)

But for me, adding zinc to my diet has helped a ton. Of course extra vitamin A and C doesn't hurt either. But I don't take supplements except a multivitamin. When I say supplments, I mean I don't take pills that have like 1500% DV of Vitamin C, 2000% DV of Vitamin K, 5000% of Vitamin A, etc. That's crazy.

Tasura
10-29-2005, 05:21 AM
there is no such thing as a good diet at university, not mine at least. I live off of ramen and wraps.

DMKA
10-29-2005, 05:29 AM
Hey there brother.

Samuraid
10-29-2005, 05:32 AM
I try to not eat excessive amounts of junk food. Other than that, I don't spend too much time worrying about the different food groups.

Tasura
10-29-2005, 05:42 AM
I try to not eat excessive amounts of junk food. Other than that, I don't spend too much time worrying about the different food groups.

there are food groups? :lol:

Rengori
10-29-2005, 05:47 AM
I'm not on a diet becuase I'm not insane.

Shlup
10-29-2005, 05:51 AM
I'm not on a diet becuase I'm not insane.
You don't eat? That sucks. Hope you don't die.

Rengori
10-29-2005, 05:52 AM
You don't eat? That sucks. Hope you don't die.Okay, let me rephrase that:
I'm not on any special diet because I''m not insane.

Shlup
10-29-2005, 05:57 AM
But the thread isn't about special diets. :tongue:

bipper
10-29-2005, 07:56 AM

Meat Puppet
10-29-2005, 10:36 AM
bugs

Yooniece
10-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I eat a lot of Kashi (whole grains)... hardly any white breads/processed grains. I eat a lot of chicken and lean fish (but a nice New York strip is my preferred meat) and a lot of leafy green veggies and fruit.

As for drinks... I down 8 bottles of water every and I love Tazo Chai with soymilk and honey.

I have a huge appetite and I'm always hungry... instead of opting for one tiny 1000-calorie cheesecake that'll fill me up for all of 20 minutes, I'd rather PIG OUT on tons of healthy foods. It keeps my weight steady and I get to satisfy my gluttony. Works for me.

Oh, and for the whole acne thing... your diet DOES affect your skin, just not in the ways people think it does. A bar of chocolate will not cause your skin to break out. The important thing is the overall hydration and nutrition you put into your body that goes into maintaining healthy skin (given that you also cleanse regularly). The right vitamins and a good amount of water are also key... a lot of teenagers do not get their dietary reccomendations and certainly do not drink enough water. That, coupled with the raging hormones of puberty, make for one horribly pimply result.

Dreddz
10-29-2005, 12:05 PM
I want to be fatter, but im never really hungry no more, and when I am, theres no food in the house........

Old Manus
10-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Remember kids:

http://www.spiderm0n.com/obese.jpg

Captain Maxx Power
10-29-2005, 01:04 PM
My diet usually consists of cereal with Soya Milk (usually cornflakes), followed by a high carb/protein lunch, sometime like a jacket potatoe (though I can't find a single bloody one in London) or a Tuna/Pasta Sammitch. Main meal on a night will usually consist of some meat product, something like steak or fish or burgers (if I'm feeling lazy), along with some carbs, like pasta or vegetables. Evening meal is usually a frozen meal, a pasta dish like lasagne or canneloni. Late night meal is cereal again. I occasionally have a banana between these meals. I never eat any junk food, nor do I drink alcohol, caffeine or sugary drinks, just water.

Why? Well, it's healthier than most people's diets, I feel better for it, plus it lets me keep my muscle mass while I'm away from the gym. Plus it helps to beef me up while I'm there.

Tai-Ti
10-29-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm on the 99% fat filled diet XD
but i have a high motabalism
breakfast: Nutella on taost
lunch: nutella or devon sandwich
dinner: steak n vedge or spaghetti most nights
snacks: chips, biscuts, musli bar and cracker
drinks: water, red cordial or diet pepsi (it tastes better!)
excersize: walking between calsses.....?
wieght: 49 kilos
not to shabby eh?
oh who am i kidding, well it's hard to be too healthy when you're alergic to most fruits.

Craig
10-29-2005, 01:49 PM
I have a super high metabolism, so I just eat what I want.

Zeldy
10-29-2005, 01:57 PM

I second that, It makes me look greedy because i eat snacks 4/5 times in 4 hours.

I eat whatever my Mum puts on the table ^_~ [EXCEPT BEANS]

themagicroundabout
10-29-2005, 02:03 PM
I just kinda eat random stuff when im hungry, like i'll eat some...bread or something and i hardly ever eat proper meals, mostly just loadsa little snacky stuff during the day

Chris
10-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Same here. If I didn't, I would be one big fatty, fat, fat!

Destai
10-29-2005, 02:06 PM
I eat what I feel like all the time and stay skinny. In fact Im too skinny. Its gross.

Chris
10-29-2005, 02:12 PM
That's probably because you run around too much in those B-I-G fields.

Rengori
10-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Same here. If I didn't, I would be one big fatty, fat, fat!
Incidently, nearly everyone eats like that, and about half of them are blobby lard buckets and refuse to take part in gym. This may be associated with the fact every game in gym is some gay ass "sport" that requires no physical activity. I mean, what's the point of baseball if you're going to make the bases 10-20 feet apart, trap us indoors, and give us plastic bats that break every pitch?

War Angel
10-29-2005, 02:22 PM
I try to maintain myself healthily, but since I rely mostly on army food (which a lot of oil is used in the process of its making), I can't quite control it. I don't have that many options.

I gained quite a bit of fat over the past few months, so I've cut down on my sugar intakes, and I watch my calories intake. I really try to avoid all the sweet things... 'cause I can consume them by the kilograms, and each 100g contains like 400-600 KCalories... which makes me a fat-arse in no-time.

So, I try to cut down on the sweets and the carbon-hydrates (pasta, rice, bread, etc, which eventually becomes sugar and then fat), eat a lot of protein (meat, eggs), and even though I don't like them - vegetables. With every bite of chicken and a bit of rice, I put on some tomatoes and cucumbers, mostly. That's for the vitamins they contain, since they don't have a dietary value beside that.

I think my diet is pretty good. I did eat too much of the high-in-calories sweet and carbon-hydrated foods, but I'm cutting down on those. I haven't got any health problems, and certainly not ones that could originate in a faulty diet.

Rye
10-29-2005, 03:17 PM
I eat a lot of junk food and have very few pimples.

Exactly, I don't really have many pimples and most of my diet is junk. I don't eat a lot of meat anymore, only really poultry, and even not much of that. My main thing is eating too much french fries, and that doesn't give me pimples really. If I ate them for every meal for a week, I would have many, and I'd probably die of a heartattack, but I don't have them THAT much at all.

I have a crap metabolism but I'm not FAT, so I don't stress out much. Sometimes I do go a bit insane and stop eating for a day or two because every girl in my school is like, 100 pounds and they all are insanely skinny and though I'd be normal sized in a NORMAL area, here I feel fat and it depresses me. I'm 5 feet tall exactly and I'm 118 pounds.

And my reason? Because I'm an insanely picky eater. :(

Venom
10-29-2005, 03:32 PM
My diet consits of

*pesi

*coke

*chicken wings

*pizza

*fried chicken

*cheetos.

Ohhh
10-29-2005, 05:11 PM
im trying to cut out carbs for one week just to see what would happen

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
10-29-2005, 05:16 PM
My diet isnt really all that heathy and my mom bugs me about it.
Basically all i eat is :
Chips
Soda
Candy

And my favorite

:love: white rice,beans,and chicken :love:

The Jamie Star Scenario
10-29-2005, 05:28 PM
I have a super high metabolism, so I just eat what I want.Just because you have that doesn't stop the build up of cholesterol in your arteries and the subsequent myocardial infarctions et cetera :)

As for me, I eat whatever I want because I know I will excerise it off at some point in the week. Though generally 'anything I want' isn't unhealthy stuff, just chocolate every now and then, oh and some crisps and perhaps a lot of bacon! I have a balanced diet anyway!¬

Tasura
10-29-2005, 10:34 PM
One summer on a bet me and a friend ate like a vegetarian for a week, he gianed weight, and i lost 20ish pounds.

Odaisé Gaelach
10-29-2005, 10:42 PM
I eat about 50/50 fruit and sweets. I rarely drink Coca-Cola or Pepsi, I walk often, and I don't drink and smoke. I enjoy chips and chocolate and junk food too - especially popcorn :tongue:

EDIT: Add tea to that list. Lots and lots and lots of tea.

Height is around 5' 11", weight is around 119lbs (54kg) so I'm slightly under weight.

Dingo Jellybean
10-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Exactly, I don't really have many pimples and most of my diet is junk. I don't eat a lot of meat anymore, only really poultry, and even not much of that. My main thing is eating too much french fries, and that doesn't give me pimples really. If I ate them for every meal for a week, I would have many, and I'd probably die of a heartattack, but I don't have them THAT much at all.

You're still young though, I didn't develop pimples till I was 17. So you're still not at the age where acne can become a problem.

Although my acne problem has gotten better with age, it didn't go away completely until recently. Your skin on your face gets harder and harder to maintain as soon as you hit 18 or later.

I do think diet plays a significant role in acne for some people. Vitamin A promotes skin turnover ratio, essentially allowing you to build new skin more quickly. Zinc helps in the healing process and helps controls oil production.

In some, but not all, you can see a person's diet just by seeing their face. If it's as greasy as that pizza, well there's a good chance their diet isn't up to par.

krissy
10-30-2005, 07:56 AM
puberty eh

Alive-Cat
10-30-2005, 08:04 AM
I always forget to eat, but i always eat one definate meal, which is dinner.

ShivaBlizzard8
10-30-2005, 06:33 PM
As a dancer, I have to stay on a high protien, low carb diet. For breakfast I eat fresh fruit, for lunch a salad with tuna or other fish, for dinner a bowl of oatmeal with fruit, nuts, and peanut butter. For snacks I munch on Wheat Thins and I drink a ton of herbal tea and water.

It sounds crappy, but I absolutely love my diet. It keeps me fit, thin, and more importantly, energized. I used to eat a ton of carbs: pasta, rice, breads, everyday. It made me feel very sluggish and full. Now I feel much lighter.

Of course, I can certainly cheat; I eat what I want when I go out to dinner, and I have beer and pizza at parties like anybody else (I've certainly been munching Halloween candy all week!) But on a daily basis, I'm pretty strict with myself.

Sare
10-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Food :love:

I eat a lot. The more fat the better. Yet still I never seem to gain weight, which is kind of nice, because that allows me to eat whatever I want. But on the other hand I'm really skinny and it bothers me a bit.

RPJesus
10-30-2005, 09:12 PM
I eat full meals. Healthy enough. Get all the fruit and veg, and eat the right amount for me.
I'm vegetarian, though, so a lot I can't eat. I won't eat any meat, red or white or little fishy, or foods that contain it, including sweets that contain pork gelatine. I'll eat some things when I have to, like I'll eat chicken burgers in France or like I stuffed my face with gelly sweets on Halloween, but I'm fairly strict and stick to my own rules most of the time. There's different reasons why I don't eat meat. I'm not so bothered about killing animals, it's more about the way they're sometimes treated (unfortunately I screw my whole thing because I'll still eat dairy products, but I'm only young and my parents want me to still eat that stuff for my health). I do think, also, that eating animals the way we do is just another stinky flaw with us humans. Some of us seem to think we can just do what the hell we like. Do crap with these animals because there's achance to make cash. It's sick. And it's not just animals that are treated this way. We won't respact humans until we respect animals.
And, it's a conversation starter :)

Calliope
10-31-2005, 04:49 AM
I eat a lot of everything.

Example: Today involved homemade banana and strawberry soy yoghurt with homemade muesli, and then led to peanut butter and alfalfa sprout sandwiches, with the possibility of cherry tomatoes and raw mushrooms for later. And vegetable soup! And all the broccoli in the world! And diet coke, because I was bought a box of cans of diet coke for some reason! Oh, and vicks vapodrops, because I am quite fond of them. Hm.

Yamaneko
10-31-2005, 04:56 AM
I EAT WHAT I WANT. YOU HAVE PROBLEM?

Calliope
10-31-2005, 05:02 AM
Yes, actually ;_;.

Yamaneko
10-31-2005, 05:05 AM
Those tasty critters are too good. :(

Calliope
10-31-2005, 05:07 AM
Have fun getting cancer!

*hides aspartame ridden liquid, for it's a vile vial*

Giga Guess
10-31-2005, 12:55 PM
I work in a kitchen, thusly, my diet ain't that good.

fire_of_avalon
10-31-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm currently in the process of changing my diet completely around, because I'm annoyed with being chubby now. It's not being big in itself that annoys me, because I'm built thick and that's how I'm intended to be, but I'm just tired of the extra flab and ickyness. My boyfriend is a total chubbychaser, but he'll get over it or I'll use my new muscles to kick his butt.

Anyway, I have a very bad habit of sleeping late and missing out on good, healthy breakfasts at home, so I normally would end up buying a fast food breakfast which is awful for me, not just weight wise but also skin wise, and over all mood wise. You FEEL better when you eat healthier, and I've also been tired of being a grumpy butt.

Thus far, I'm re-introducing water back into my diet slowly (I tend to retain water, so I never really feel thirsty, which means I don't get flushed out, which means I retain more water yay!) and soda has pretty much completely gone, unless it's a very, very special treat. I've also cut out convienence store junk food, which my dad gets a lot to have something to snack on at work (I'm also trying to get him to ease up on the sweets, because omg under the definition of sweet tooth is a picture of my Daddy). However, the biggest problem I'm running into is actually corn chips. I just love them too much.

But for now, I have a scrambled egg, a slice of bacon, toast, fruit and OJ for breakfast or cereal and fruit. Lunch, when I don't break my own rules and go to Chick fil A with Andrew (another hard battle ;_;) is yogurt, half a peanut butter sandwich and more fruit or crackers and a smoothie. Supper is where the meat comes in, and it's normally whatever we're having. Tonight it's vegatable soup with meatballs, so that's good for me. Yay!

smittenkitten
10-31-2005, 02:05 PM
I love Chocolate <3!!! :drool:
Nothing else to be said except i do look after myself and like to so i stay the weight i should be and eat things that are good for me plus i work out :D

mpjunior36
10-31-2005, 05:03 PM
I don't really have a diet, and the only time I had one was when I wrestled in High School. But that wasn't really a diet...that was just starving myself! However, I do typically stay away from cake and other deserts. I also make sure I have a bowl of oatmeal every morning. I haven't been able to work out lately because of a problem with my neck, but luckily I'm keeping most of my muscle mass. Also, muscles have 'memory', so when I start to work out again, I'll gain it all back pretty quickly.

Kamiko
10-31-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm allergic to alot of stuff so I have to limit my intake of dairy products and peanut butter but it's not a very big deal.
I don't eat meat either but I'm lacto- ovo (sp?) vegan sooo...

Crop
10-31-2005, 07:49 PM
I eat whatever I want whenever I want, I eat so much and im not even fat so ive decided to make the most of it by eating loads of fattaning foods.

ScottNUMBERS
10-31-2005, 07:54 PM
My diet consists of what/who ever I can get my hands on.

crazybayman
10-31-2005, 08:02 PM
High protein and a reasonable amount of carbs here, to replenish myself after the gym. I eat little junk, except on the weekends when myself and my girlfriend tend to sometimes splurge and eat chicken wings or pizza or fish 'n' chips or Rotten Ronnie's, etc .

I eat frequently as well, but in lesser portions. Instead of eating 3 big meals, I eat 5 or 6 smaller meals/snacks. It keeps the ol' metabolism on its toes, and constantly burning calories. (Plus its great to actually snack when I'm bored) So normally I have 2 small lunches and one snack during my day at work, plus supper (dinner), breakfast, and a shake after the gym.