PDA

View Full Version : Annoying crap

Ultima Shadow
10-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Ok, here's the deal... I've got a lot of annoying and pointless e-mails from unknown people recently... and it's extremely annoying. I have no idea why I get these e-mails... but is there any way to prevent getting e-mails from people you don't have on some kind of err... "e-mail buddylist". If anyone knows how to prevent getting annoying crap messages, then please tell me. Thanks. :cool:

Dr Unne
10-29-2005, 06:57 PM
This is called "whitelisting": let emails through IF they're from a person on your list (of friends). (The opposite being "blacklisting": let emails through UNLESS they're a person on your list (of spammers).) Whitelisting can be bad because you're going to be dropping emails without even looking at them. What if a friend changes his email address and forgets to tell you, for example? Rather than outright blocking or deleting email from unknown people, a better option is to filter and sort the email as it arrives. Put email whose FROM address is "yourfriend@something.net" into a folder called "Friends". Put all unknown emails into a folder called "SPAM" so that you can view them quickly and delete them if necessary. Then you can largely ignore the spam and concentrate on the good emails.

You should be able to configure your email client to do this filtering automatically. How to do it depends on what kind of email you're using. Is it a POP3 or IMAP account that you use an email client program to view? In this case you have to configure your email client to set up a filter that deletes or moves all emails that aren't from a person on a list. Most good email programs should let you do this. Is it webmail? (GMail, Yahoo Mail, etc.) You can set up similar filters in GMail.

Specify what kind of email you use.

Ultima Shadow
10-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Ok, I checked it up... I use POP3.

I know absolutely nothing about this kind of stuff, though. :-/

Dr Unne
10-31-2005, 04:01 AM
What program do you use to view your email?

Ultima Shadow
11-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Microsoft outlook.

Dr Unne
11-01-2005, 10:51 PM
OK, go to Tools menu and select Rules Wizard, then New, then follow the directions. It's self-explanatory from there. Google for 'outlook filter" if you need help. For example this: http://www.chase3000.com/c3pages/mail/ofilter/default.htm

Ultima Shadow
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Ok, thanks. :)