PDA

View Full Version : Various questions on setting up a page

crashNUMBERS
10-31-2005, 01:25 AM
What is all of these types of documents?? PHP, XML, and all that other stuff. Can someone give me a list of all the types of extensions for page creating and if possible what they do. Like, all I know is HTML. Is there a certain code for all of this other crap?? How do you use PHP?? How do you use XML?? How do you use all of these damn things!!!!!

eestlinc
10-31-2005, 01:26 AM
this is a help topic. :moose:

crashNUMBERS
10-31-2005, 01:34 AM
Wouldn't it be feedback because Im asking for answers. Im not that in the need. But I get where your getting at....

Samuraid
10-31-2005, 01:52 AM
PHP is a scripting (programming) language specifically designed for creating dynamic web pages.
XML is a data-encapsulation language similar in syntax to HTML, but more advanced.

crashNUMBERS
10-31-2005, 02:11 AM
Aren't there more of these extensions?? And know any good sites to learn this crap. I wanna try it. And if I learn, I just write down the scripts and commands and save it as that type of file like as if I was to do that to an .HTML file correct??

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-31-2005, 02:22 AM
I know nothing of this topic, but try this site. It might be useful.

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

crashNUMBERS
10-31-2005, 02:40 AM
Fuck yeah that's gonna help!!

bipper
10-31-2005, 03:39 AM
PHP: Server Side Scripting
XML: Data defining
Asp: Server side Scripting (mainly for Microsoft IIS)
JSP: Server side scripting
DHTML: Dynamic HTML; html with much CSS and embeded Javascript
Xhtml: Html redone into a more XMLesqe style.
js: java script
.c .cgi: etc: can all be used to run CGI scripting- depending on you server set up.

There are tons more; but i think i covered most of the basics here.
Also, with apache or most other web serving programs, you can make it treat files with the .crachNumbersisabirthdayboi as a php, html, etc file.

Bipper

Dr Unne
10-31-2005, 04:20 AM
Aren't there more of these extensions??

For most sites, filename extensions aren't a surefire way of telling what kind of file something is. There are only conventions that people tend to follow, but there's nothing holding anyone to those conventions. On my site I had .shtml files being parsed as PHP for example. Note that non-Windows operating systems in general don't care what a file extension is, and many servers run non-Windows operating systems.

How do you use XML??

Your questions have no easy answers. This is like saying "How do you use a piece of wood?" You turn it into a table, or a handle for a hammer, or a bunch of pencils, or a house, or a baseball bat. It's only a raw material used to create something useful.

XML is a raw material too; it's a way to store data in a structured way. It lets you store data, and also information about that data (which you can call metadata: data about the data). For example, (X)HTML is made up of data, and information about how to display that data in a web browser (this word here is a link, this word here is the page title, etc.) You could use an XML document to store a phone book; there's data, and there's markup indicating that this piece over here is a first name, and that piece there is a phone number, etc. etc.

Because XML specifies a particular, standard syntax, if you write an XML document, I'll be able to read it, for the most part, without any help from you. So XML helps make it easy to share data between computers, or between programs on the same computer, or to store data and read it again later.