PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy... the violinist!

Necronopticous
11-01-2005, 09:49 PM
I got a call from a friend a few weeks ago about an Arcade Fire show he went to, he told me that opening was a one-man violin and singing act called "Final Fantasy." I finally got my hands on his CD and it's actually pretty awesome. I don't really know why I'm making a thread about it, I guess because it's so odd that he'd name himself the exact same name as the popular Japanese videogame franchise...and since we're all big Final Fantasy dorks. Apparently he doesn't play the Final Fantasy games, but he did in fact name them after the games which he calls "ridiculously overwrought and convoluted emotionally."

You can check out a writeup on him here:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/features/artistprofiles/f/final-fantasy/

His CD is worth checking out, too. I'm just wondering what he's going to do when Square-Enix hears about his interesting name.

Captain Maxx Power
11-01-2005, 09:55 PM
One question: Was he aware of the games and did he intentionally name himself after them? If so, I'm definately making a power-metal band called Dragon Quest.

Necronopticous
11-01-2005, 09:56 PM
The name comes from the video game, which Pallett admits he doesn't have the patience to play. "I like the idea of it, this big gay thing," he says, citing his interest in Japanese culture and literature. "The games are ridiculously overwrought and convoluted emotionally," which he admits also applies to his music.I like your thinking, but go old school and name it Dragon Warrior!

Aurey
11-01-2005, 10:07 PM
OHMYGAWD NECRONOPTICOUS I LOVE YOU!

Final Fantasy aka Owen Pallett is really, really awesome. Has A Good Home is great, one of my favourite albums of this year, and I'm really excited about the new album that's supposed to come out early next year. I need to get my hands on his 7"s, because I'm dying to hear some new stuff.

The CN Tower Belongs To The Dead, That's When The Audience Died, Library and Please Please Please are my favourite off the record.

Necronopticous
11-01-2005, 10:16 PM
I knew if anyone had heard this before me it would be you, Aurey. You're too awesome, stop that.

DK
11-01-2005, 10:17 PM
OHMYGAWD NECRONOPTICOUS I LOVE YOU!

Me too. It has nothing to do with this thread, I just have a soft spot for Necron. :love:

Aurey
11-01-2005, 11:01 PM
I knew if anyone had heard this before me it would be you, Aurey. You're too awesome, stop that.

Haha. I feel a lot more awesomer now, thanks.

And way to ruin the thread you guys. Go talk about System of A Down in one of the hundred threads already made about them. Jeesh.

eestlinc
11-01-2005, 11:36 PM
I heard of him and wondered what it was.

Captain Maxx Power
11-02-2005, 12:34 AM
I like your thinking, but go old school and name it Dragon Warrior!

Right, we're starting this right now. I'll do lead vocals, how are you for keyboard/synthesisers?

Necronopticous
11-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Yeah seriously, go talk about System of a Down somewhere else.

Anyway, I listened to the album some more and I'm definately digging it. It's really geeky and stupid of me, but I guess I'm just kind of dissapointed that he's not a fan of the games. It's cool to name yourself Final Fantasy if you're a fan of the games, but when you name yourself Final Fantasy and say you don't have the patience to play Final Fantasy, that sucks.