PDA

View Full Version : Can man dominate nature?

Kingdom Hearts Fanatic
11-02-2005, 12:40 AM
To some it's obvious what the answer is, but it's something I have always wondered. I'm going to randomely pick the Titaic (the ship, duh) as a prime example. Not only was it an example of what happens when man let's his ego get to his head and believe they can dominate nature, but the the fact that all its destruction was due to a chunk of ice floating in the middle of the ocean. The Titanic disaster, some debate, was due ''just'' to do human error and that it could've been prevented eaisly. While I agree with the fact it could've been prevented, I wonder about its sinking due to just ''human error''.

When I first read about it, I got the impression that would be like saying anything tragedy that involves man's greatest technical achievements heading toward a path of destruction is simply ''just'' a human error. You would think that after all these years, human kind would learn that perhaps some of these things that happend in the world can't possibly all ''human errors'' and perhaps they're reminders that mother nature can easily withstand just about anything mankind can come up with. Including their greatest achievements in technology were they can ''rule'' the world. Is there anybody who would agree that man believing they can dominate nature, and saying that stuff like this happens just because of ''human error'' is evidence that we humans are ignorant and someday all of these claims will come back to bite us in our @sses.

I apologize if this doesn't make any sense, but it's something I ''felt'' needed to be let out and that with goes on everyday in this world, we're not going to change our opinion on technology anytime soon, correct?

Neco Arc
11-02-2005, 12:52 AM
are you talking about nature in the physical, chemical or biological sense as it will depend on the situation...

Spammerman
11-02-2005, 12:54 AM
ANything man builds falls so man can never dominate nature.

SummonerYuna
11-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Link is right:tongue:

Kingdom Hearts Fanatic
11-02-2005, 01:04 AM
I would say probably all, Arc. But I'm also asking do you think the reason why our ''technical achievements'' are usually destroyed despite their ''safety'' and ''well made'' features put on them, all of it is just due to human error and not the fact that maybe it's because no matter how we slice, we, as humans, can never dominate nature.

Spammerman
11-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Link is right:tongue:
ty. Actually, an old old security guard told me and a kid in my class it when we were tryin to see if we could climb a old brick wall.

Rye
11-02-2005, 01:05 AM
No, not completely. Because nature fights back.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Man always will try to dominate nature out of fear of it, out of the irrational fear of being supressed by it. Ironically the supressor greatest fear is what he supresses. In that Nature will always prevail. Nothing can stop a natural phenomenon. To be correct, they can be tried to stop, but eventually Nature will adapt and change, and once again prevail.

SummonerYuna
11-02-2005, 01:14 AM
ANything man builds falls so man can never dominate nature.

Oh okay. lol! Well man would never be able to dominate nature.

Shlup
11-02-2005, 01:23 AM
I think a better question is "Should man dominate nature?"

11-02-2005, 01:25 AM
I think a better question is "Should man dominate nature?"
My answer: Nope, we should live in harmony with Nature.

SummonerYuna
11-02-2005, 01:25 AM
No because they won't even be able to.

Spammerman
11-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Like the indians, until those settlers and what not had to be way to nosy and make the indians slaves so or move out of their land.

Samuraid
11-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Humanity shall never fully control large-scale natural events.

Neco Arc
11-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Humanity shall never fully control large-scale natural events.

very true...

Kingdom Hearts Fanatic
11-02-2005, 01:44 AM
But then....What do you say those to who believe tragedies such as Titanic,9/11, and possibly ANYTHING that involves technology simply a human error. Because if that was that case, I must admit, that's quite a lot of ''human errors''.

Spammerman
11-02-2005, 01:49 AM
for those people who think 9/11 was a "human error" i would use a highlky sarcastic voice and say " It was of course a human error. Some terrorists just hijacked a plane by accident and crashed it into on of the largest buildings by accident. It was jsut so hard to stay on course and AVOID THE FREAKIN HIGHLY VISIBLE BUILDING NOT MOVING STICKING OUT THE GROUND STRAIGHT UP INTO THE AIR WHERE ANY1 WHO COULD SEE AT ALL WOULD KNOW ENOUGH TO MOVE OUT THE WAY BEFORE YOU CRASH INTO IT. Yup. A COMPLETE accident that wasn't even thought of.Those darn errors."

TurkSlayer
11-02-2005, 01:51 AM
Can man dominate nature?

No. No we can't.

DarkLadyNyara
11-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Can man dominate nature?
No, and trying only gets people killed.

Jebus
11-03-2005, 12:18 AM
We can. Nature follows laws just like the rest of the universe, and it can be manipulated along those laws. However if we do, it could lead to our own destruction if something goes wrong.

And I, like most people should, follow Murphy's Law. Anything that can go wrong, WILL go wrong.

UWAOOOOU
11-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Does killing it count?

Madame Adequate
11-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Of course we could dominate nature. A concerted effort would render pretty much everything bigger than an insect extinct. We don't do it though, because it'd hurt us quite badly to do so. Genetic modification probably is already here (Technically we've been doing it for millennia, check out pedigree dogs.), so we'll crack that effortlessly given another, say, five decades.

To suggest we'll never be able to control it as we desire is a foolish statement. There is no guarantee we'll ever be able to control tectonic movements or prevent hurricanes, but to say we will never be able to is a foolish thing indeed.

Additionally, I'll point out that nature simply 'is'. She's not a sentient being, she can't make a determined effort against us. She doesn't 'fight back', she simply acts at times in ways not conductive to our survival.

11-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Yet you personify Her...Interesting..Plus to some She is living. Like me, I believe there is actually a conscious force behind nature. For me it is the Goddess. So it really depends on your prospective.

Meat Puppet
11-03-2005, 01:19 AM
the titanic incident was actually a well-covered terrorist attack

-N-
11-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Man is a by-product of natural processes. Man and nature aren't meant to be opposites (and in fact, I extend that to all concepts). Everything comes together, and acts as one.

TurkSlayer
11-03-2005, 02:35 AM
And I, like most people should, follow Murphy's Law. Anything that can go wrong, WILL go wrong.

That law is much more accurate than people seem to think.

Dingo Jellybean
11-03-2005, 02:37 AM
Just ask the hundreds of thousands who lost their lives from tsunamis and earthquakes recently.

Aside from that, we're like viruses. Most viruses are smart enough not to kill their hosts, otherwise their whole species would die. Most of us are swarming with millions of diseases we don't know about.

But we're not viruses, because viruses are smarter.

Rengori
11-03-2005, 02:40 AM
No, not completely. Because nature fights back.As far as you know... :shifty:

Dingo Jellybean
11-03-2005, 02:48 AM
We can. Nature follows laws just like the rest of the universe, and it can be manipulated along those laws. However if we do, it could lead to our own destruction if something goes wrong.

I thought it was more like "If it can go wrong, it will go wrong and at the worst possible time."

Jebus
11-03-2005, 04:45 AM
No, that's one of the...I forgot the word. It adds on to the law.

Bah.

ThroneofDravaris
11-03-2005, 11:31 AM
If by dominate nature you mean kill a bunch of animals, then yes.

Reine
11-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Control nature? It might be possible, but us humans are so paranoid, wed screw things up and blow ourselves up