PDA

View Full Version : The White Mage Mystery

Cecinda
11-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Is White Mage a man or a woman?

Usually WM"s are portrayed as female (in later FF's), only Knights use White magic and the WM sprite of FF1 and FF3 looks very female, yet when you class change you can clearly see it's a dude.

Plus every guide i've seen refers to WMs as women.
In FF3 the characters are referred to as boys but later in the game it seems they could be either.

So what exactly is WM hiding under that robe?

P.S. I named my WM Leia in my FF1 game, and when one of my friends saw it she laughed and asked me how Leia came to be a guy's name. That;s when the question of WM's gender popped up...

Flying Mullet
11-02-2005, 04:20 PM
WM's are asexual.

Cecinda
11-02-2005, 04:24 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's unfair, best of both worlds! Maybe it starts out as a woman but has a sex change as part of the class change package cos she was found out (obviously her robe slipped in battle and something showed) and being a woman warrior in the early FF world was just NOT ON you had to be a helpless damsel like Sara...

Damn Square sexists!

WM: Ooops!
Fighter: Dude, what's that?
WM: nothing, just gaining weight.
BM: No dude, that ain't weight.
THIEF: Those are TITTIES! Damn I haven't seen a pair of those in ages.
RM: Dudes, this isn't on. We can't have a CHICK light warrior. it's a men's only job!
WM: I just wanted to save the world...
RM: Well, you can't.
WM: but!
RM: Go become a princess or something.
Fighter: So we can save you like we're supposed to.
Thief: Will I get a kiss if we do?
WM: Shut up.
RM: You know, Dr Unne was talking about this new technology...if you really wanna be a light warrior still....when we class change you can...*whisper whisper*
WM: You mean I'll have a willy?
RM: Uh huh.
Thief: Hmmm, I wonder what THAT's like?
Fighter: Not you too.
Thief: What, me? Never!

omnitarian
11-02-2005, 06:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/omnitarian/wwiz.gif

White Wizard still looks like a female to me. She/He/It has an hourglass shape, which suggests a female figure. However, WW definitely seems to have broad shoulders and a chiseled jawline. I would say the the thick jawline is actually a shadow made by the neck of her clothing, and the broad shoulders is just an illusion made by her robes "bunching up" around there- I mean, it's pretty obvious that her robe is very roomy in the shoulder/arm areas.

Crossblades
11-02-2005, 06:08 PM
It will always be a female to me

Flying Mullet
11-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Maybe the WM has broad shoulders because it's a swimmer?

Crossblades
11-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Doesn't look like it has broad shoulders

boys from the dwarf
11-02-2005, 07:27 PM
WM=female. in dawn of souls you can clearly tell.

KoShiatar
11-02-2005, 09:32 PM
In FF1 Origins, it clearly looks like a girl. But I wasn't so sure in the NES version....

Swifthom
11-03-2005, 04:47 PM
I've always thougt it was the 1 female character of the group in the original FF...

ljkkjlcm9
11-03-2005, 05:05 PM
always thought it was a guy... still do actually

THE JACKEL

Flying Mullet
11-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Considering Japanese culture it would make sense for all the main characters to be male.

Cecinda
11-03-2005, 05:54 PM
That's probably what happened when Thief tried to get it on with White Mage after Class Change...
I'm convinced she has a sex change.
lol

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
11-03-2005, 08:10 PM
In FF1 it is a girl, if you look at official artwork and her class change, it's a girl. In FF3 the WM and WW sprite were edited because the story was about four BOYS who could class change. Therefore, the sprite was edited to look like a male.

Black Mage
11-03-2005, 08:39 PM
The White Wizard in FF3 definitely looks more like a girl than FFI's, if you ask me.

I always considered the White Mage to be female, if not only because of Amano's (and Nintendo Power's) art.

11-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Well even though, he is a male in FF3

Destai
11-03-2005, 11:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/omnitarian/wwiz.gif

White Wizard still looks like a female to me. She/He/It has an hourglass shape, which suggests a female figure. However, WW definitely seems to have broad shoulders and a chiseled jawline. I would say the the thick jawline is actually a shadow made by the neck of her clothing, and the broad shoulders is just an illusion made by her robes "bunching up" around there- I mean, it's pretty obvious that her robe is very roomy in the shoulder/arm areas.And the bushy rectangular eye brows just scream feminine.

Snap Jumper
11-03-2005, 11:59 PM
The White Mage is the same sex as Gogo! My real answer though: I say female. Every other game in the series has female and male playables (well.....except X2). In 4 and 9, Square decided for us each character's job. They made Garnet, Eiko, and (the ever annoying) Rosa white mages, or something similar. Thing is, they probably designed these characters vaguely so that they could be either one. All things considered, it doesn't really matter, but it's fun to talk about.

rubah
11-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Girls can have broad shoulders and thick eyebrows, but they just twease and wear different clothes so guys never notice.

bipper
11-04-2005, 01:58 AM
WM's are asexual.

This has been scuentifically proven beyond a doubt. Well put Mullet... btw, your names sounds bad ass with an "Outrageous french accentah!"

Girls can have broad shoulders and thick eyebrows, but they just twease and wear different clothes so guys never notice.

Not chicks in the FF series. The broadness is reserved for other select reigons of the bodies. :joey: Different cloths in FF ususally show off feminine shoulders.

And the bushy rectangular eye brows just scream feminine.
Correct.. this suggests russian heratige... prehapse the russians were asexual? Sace for Mother Russia :eek:
Bipper

Fireblade13
11-04-2005, 01:38 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's unfair, best of both worlds! Maybe it starts out as a woman but has a sex change as part of the class change package cos she was found out (obviously her robe slipped in battle and something showed) and being a woman warrior in the early FF world was just NOT ON you had to be a helpless damsel like Sara...

Damn Square sexists!

WM: Ooops!
Fighter: Dude, what's that?
WM: nothing, just gaining weight.
BM: No dude, that ain't weight.
THIEF: Those are TITTIES! Damn I haven't seen a pair of those in ages.
RM: Dudes, this isn't on. We can't have a CHICK light warrior. it's a men's only job!
WM: I just wanted to save the world...
RM: Well, you can't.
WM: but!
RM: Go become a princess or something.
Fighter: So we can save you like we're supposed to.
Thief: Will I get a kiss if we do?
WM: Shut up.
RM: You know, Dr Unne was talking about this new technology...if you really wanna be a light warrior still....when we class change you can...*whisper whisper*
WM: You mean I'll have a willy?
RM: Uh huh.
Thief: Hmmm, I wonder what THAT's like?
Fighter: Not you too.
Thief: What, me? Never!
LOL
RM:Ok lets clear this up everyone drop your pants.
BM:But I'm wearing a robe
RM:take off the robe then!
Fi:Hey where's the monk?
Mo:Hi guys. I mean... (Deep manly tone) Hi guys
Thief: Thank God I'm in chick heaven

Light Mage
11-04-2005, 03:01 PM
One word: Minwu.

Flying Mullet
11-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Except Minwu wasn't in FFI. :smash:

DJZen
11-04-2005, 10:20 PM
In FF1 it is a girl, if you look at official artwork and her class change, it's a girl. In FF3 the WM and WW sprite were edited because the story was about four BOYS who could class change. Therefore, the sprite was edited to look like a male.

Which official art was this? The artwork Amano did never really showed any white mages, just some generic looking fantasy characters. If you look at the class change, WW just looks like a guy with long hair. Also, the WM sprite in FFIII was EXACTLY THE SAME as FFI's. If there were any differences, they were extremely minor. If you're thinking about the Shaman, that's just a WM sprite with cat ears, there weren't any real facial differences. The real case for WM being a guy is that if you look back at the whole FF series, can you think of ONE female character who didn't have an EXTREMELY revealing outfit?

rubah
11-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Freya. Faris (sans dancer), matron, garnet, various NPCs.

Cecinda
11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Another thing, don't you think the stories of FF1 and FF3j are just TOO similar??? They're practically the same. There's a Sara, light warriors, everything. Except the LW's are kids. Prequel?

DJZen
11-08-2005, 07:45 PM
The stories aren't remotely the same.

omnitarian
11-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Also, the WM sprite in FFIII was EXACTLY THE SAME as FFI's. If there were any differences, they were extremely minor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/omnitarian/wmage.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/omnitarian/cwhitemage.gif

I wouldn't call that "extremely minor".

Heh, FF1 WM is a giant who can float in mid-air.

Reine
11-09-2005, 01:42 AM
I see the White Mage as either, but I tend to make my White Mages female. I did have a male White Mage once though

DJZen
11-09-2005, 02:13 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/omnitarian/wmage.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/omnitarian/cwhitemage.gif

I wouldn't call that "extremely minor".

I wouldn't call that very different either though.

11-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Which official art was this? The artwork Amano did never really showed any white mages, just some generic looking fantasy characters. If you look at the class change, WW just looks like a guy with long hair. Also, the WM sprite in FFIII was EXACTLY THE SAME as FFI's. If there were any differences, they were extremely minor. If you're thinking about the Shaman, that's just a WM sprite with cat ears, there weren't any real facial differences. The real case for WM being a guy is that if you look back at the whole FF series, can you think of ONE female character who didn't have an EXTREMELY revealing outfit?

http://www.fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff1old/ffart16.jpg

Cecinda
11-16-2005, 01:42 PM
The white mage of FF1 looks meaner. Cos it has a hammer and the FF3 one only has a crappy cane

Dignified Pauper
11-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Everyone knows it's a man. Women just weren't cut out for battling monsters in the late 80's.

Light Mage
11-16-2005, 02:22 PM
A female White Mage would look like Elvira, only white. (Naturally.)

childroland
11-22-2005, 09:37 PM
The white mage is a dude.
Have you seen his class change?
I originally thought he was a she to.
Seriously look at his class change.

11-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Look at Yoshi*taka's artwork, if you don't think that's a chick...then...

General-Beatrix
12-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Even though this topic is very dead, did you ever even look at Final Fantasy Tactics white mage portraits.

P.S. It's a girl alright.

DJZen
12-15-2005, 01:55 AM
*sigh of great disappointment*

You mean this one?

http://collector.5gigs.com/squart/fight.jpg

What about this one?

http://www.ffcompendium.com/Jobs/priestt-a.jpg

I don't see how either proves that this is female

http://www.ffcompendium.com/Jobs/wmage1.gif

omnitarian
12-15-2005, 03:27 AM
Well, I s'pose you could make the case that

FF1 White Mage: Hood is up.

FFT White Mage: Males have hood down, girls have hood up. Same thing in FF5. (http://sprites.fireball20xl.com/square-enix/final/ff5.htm)

But I doubt that Square had that much foresight, not to mention that the boys in FF3 wear their hoods up.

Edit: Also, the male FFT white mage has sleeves, whereas the female goes for the poncho look. FF1 White Mage's clothes looks identical to the latter. But again, that really doesn't prove anything.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-15-2005, 03:40 AM
Joyeebloo (1:22:06 AM): I still think white mage is a man =X

Kishiruni (1:22:11 AM): You're wrong.

Joyeebloo (1:22:16 AM): prove it xD

Kishiruni (1:23:18 AM): Look at the Chocobo series.
Kishiruni (1:23:31 AM): It has all your FF staples.
Kishiruni (1:23:43 AM): Chocobo, Cid, Behemoth, Black Mage, White Mage, Moguri, etc.

Joyeebloo (1:24:04 AM): there are male white mages, there has to be o_0
Joyeebloo (1:24:05 AM): *thinks*

Kishiruni (1:24:19 AM): No. Listen.
Kishiruni (1:24:38 AM): It's not like a specific White Mage. It's just, "Here's the Final Fantasy White Mage."
Kishiruni (1:24:42 AM): You know, in its pure form.
Kishiruni (1:24:46 AM): And they made it a girl.
Kishiruni (1:24:51 AM): Proof.

Joyeebloo (1:25:00 AM): i see
Joyeebloo (1:25:05 AM): then why isn't there more sexing in ff1 XD

Kishiruni (1:25:17 AM): You have to get the Sex Armor.
Kishiruni (1:25:25 AM): In the Cavern ofAfter that it became inappropriate.

12-15-2005, 03:51 AM
http://www.fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff1old/ffart16.jpg

Look at the Wh.MAGE, that is surely a chick...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-15-2005, 03:55 AM
Irrelevant. Contrary to popular belief, that's not official artwork.

Jiro
12-15-2005, 06:16 AM
DoS. press select at character naming. there's your proof. either sex. i'll write the names that they have there. jenica, sarina, elia, sara, sherko, luca, ruby, mikoto, kuku, noah.

DJZen
12-15-2005, 06:42 AM
So? They all have male and female names. If anything that just proves something I like to bring up from time to time. Any of the characters could possibly be either gender. If you think that short hair = male, you obviously weren't around much in the 80s.

12-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Irrelevant. Contrary to popular belief, that's not official artwork.

Really? who did it then?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Some guy who was commissioned by Nintendo Power.

Alexander
12-16-2005, 04:36 PM
I think FF1 and FF3 White Mage are girls. FF1 White Wizard looks like a girl. In DoS and Origins it surely is a girl, as well.

And if FF3 Shaman is a boy, Freya is a boy as well. Period.

I mean, what's wrong with the WM being a girl? Adel is a girl, after all *sniped*

Memoria
12-16-2005, 07:04 PM
This brings up the same question about humans in FFTA. I believe they're asexual, too, even though some jobs look way more feminine than the next. At least in FFT, you can tell. And the costumes are much different.

Anyway, back on topic.

White mages are usually considered female, the ones that take care of everyone when their down and out. Call them the war time nurses of the red cross or something. I dunno, maybe it's Kurama (YuYuHakusho) in another life form?

Alexander
12-16-2005, 07:20 PM
In FFT-A, everyone aside Vieras, Ritz, Queen remedi, and the shop girl at Cyril are male. Even though most Nu Mou jobs look like a girl. Anyway, back on topic...

Maybe they are... Qus o_o disguised as humans o___o

Now we know why Quina is ofter called a "girl" :love: :love: *shot*

Memoria
12-16-2005, 07:24 PM
In FFT-A, everyone aside Vieras, Ritz, Queen remedi, and the shop girl at Cyril are male. Even though most Nu Mou jobs look like a girl. Anyway, back on topic...

Maybe they are... Qus o_o disguised as humans o___o

Now we know why Quina is ofter called a "girl" :love: :love: *shot*

Oh really then. Wow, I guess since it's rated everyone we don't really need to question how more people get there... or when people die not in Jagds then they just have stars over their heads or something... ><

I think Quina's a girl. Never saw a guy obsessed with food like that. Perhaps during the time that the game takes place, Quina's on her time of the month and is just craving Chocolate frogs, but can't find them so she eats the closest thing she can find to them?

The white mage is a girl. We need at least one girl hero!

DJZen
12-17-2005, 07:10 AM
And out comes the rampant sex stereotyping...

Crossblades
12-17-2005, 11:48 PM
I think FF1 and FF3 White Mage are girls.

:confused:

But aren't the characters you start off with in FF III boys though?

Alexander
12-18-2005, 01:53 AM
:confused:

But aren't the characters you start off with in FF III boys though?

They look quite androgine IMO. Well, I don't know if FFIII's plot says they are boys, so...

Until someone confirm this, they are asexual. XD

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-18-2005, 01:59 AM
They're referred to as boys several times throughout the game. I could also cite the fact that Sara falls for the lot of them, but then I'd get called on my rampant sex stereotyping. :aimsad:

Alexander
12-18-2005, 02:01 AM
They're referred to as boys several times throughout the game. I could also cite the fact that Sara falls for the lot of them, but then I'd get called on my rampant sex stereotyping. :aimsad:

So they are boys.

So, FF3 Shaman is a drag queen. Hooray. *shot*

12-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Somebody check their manual...

blackmage_nuke
12-18-2005, 08:14 AM
I think the white mage in FFI can be anything you want it to be, even though it looks more like a man to me but i wouldnt care if it was a woman. But i think the real mystery here is the gender of Black mage, you cant see whats under that hat, he/she could be anything

its funny how people say that wm is female because most ff whitemages are female, but most ff blackmages are female too (terra, celes, lulu etc) and most people take bm as male

Crossblades
12-18-2005, 04:02 PM
The FF I and II DoS manual confrims that the White Mage is a female

Alexander
12-18-2005, 06:41 PM
its funny how people say that wm is female because most ff whitemages are female, but most ff blackmages are female too (terra, celes, lulu etc) and most people take bm as male

Probably because Vivi is a male and look exactly like FFI and FFIII Black Mage.

12-19-2005, 03:36 AM
Probably because Vivi is a male and look exactly like FFI and FFIII Black Mage.

I think the white mage in FFI can be anything you want it to be, even though it looks more like a man to me but i wouldnt care if it was a woman. But i think the real mystery here is the gender of Black mage, you cant see whats under that hat, he/she could be anything

Tch... The Bl.MAGE is male, think about the Blk. Wiz...

DJZen
12-19-2005, 04:53 AM
The FF I and II DoS manual confrims that the White Mage is a female

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that you're making that up?

Jiro
12-19-2005, 07:46 AM
i didn't even get a manual. damit!

12-19-2005, 11:58 AM
i didn't even get a manual. damit!

ROMs rarely come with manuals...

Though if you have the original cartridge, meh...usually people lose track of their NES manuals after 10 years and then selling them.
'

Crossblades
12-19-2005, 05:41 PM

Could it be because I actually bought the real game and I don't play with GBA emulators?:D

Memoria
12-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Could it be because I actually bought the real game and I don't play with GBA emulators?:D

Hmm. Piracy does have a certain flavor to it, but since my GBA is working and I actually bought Origins, I don't need an emulator for it.

Now, the Origins strategy guide does state that the white mage is a girl. "Her hearty consitution shines through when helping others."

KentaRawr!
12-19-2005, 06:16 PM
I always saw them as girls. o.o

I wonder... maybe in the DS version of FF3, to fix this problem they will let you choose your characters gender at the beginning. o_o Or perhaps whenever you change your job, you also change your gender! :eek:

DJZen
12-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Regardless, the argument that the FFIII characters are sexually ambiguous is fraudulent because one of the jobs is http://www.ffcompendium.com/Jobs/thief3.gif and another is http://www.ffcompendium.com/Jobs/viking3.gif.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Yeah, there's no getting around that.

I agree that the remake will probably either split the party up into two boys and two girls or let you choose each member's sex.

rubah
12-20-2005, 01:17 AM
Regardless, the argument that the FFIII characters are sexually ambiguous is fraudulent because one of the jobs is http://www.ffcompendium.com/Jobs/viking3.gif.
She's wearing a scarf!

I have never played ff3 btw.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-20-2005, 01:18 AM
You're missing out.

12-31-2005, 01:20 PM
Now that I think about it, females usually have different eyes than males in 1-4, males have T shaped eyes and females have a line with a dot in the front...

Crossblades
01-02-2006, 03:00 AM
I agree that the remake will probably either split the party up into two boys and two girls or let you choose each member's sex.

Well, take a look at this screenshot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/ff3ds006.jpg

The second character is clearly female, so you're probably right

DJZen
01-02-2006, 04:00 AM
The second character isn't clearly anything, it's damn near impossible to make anything out in that tiny thing.

Black Mage
01-02-2006, 08:28 AM
http://www.ffcompendium.com/misc/behemoth_vs_light.jpg

This one is probably the piece of art that was referenced earlier in the thread, but it still exists, not necessarily as defining evidence, but at least as an expression that there was some idea in Amano's head of a place for a woman in the Light Warrior's ranks.

I assume this is what DJZen wrote off as "some generic looking fantasy characters", and I can understand that conclusion. On the other hand, I can also understand the use of the image to back someone's arguement.

Perhaps the ambiguity is intentional, therefore allowing the player to decide for themselves.

ScottNUMBERS
01-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Perhaps the ambiguity is intentional, therefore allowing the player to decide for themselves.
:-*

Crossblades
01-02-2006, 04:59 PM
The second character isn't clearly anything, it's damn near impossible to make anything out in that tiny thing.

It's clearly female. Look at the long hair!

Qurange
01-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Though I tend to think that the white mage is female, I should note that guys can have long hair, too.

I'm with the idea that the ambiguity is intentional, though. I mean, I pretty much change it whenever I go through--it being my conception of the characters. The red mage could as easily be female as male, and that's even assuming that a character isn't intentionally trying to look like a boy.

Memoria
01-02-2006, 07:25 PM
I keep thinking that in FF1, the white mage is Kurama from YuYuHakusho. Long red hair, healing capabilities. Yeah, it's him!

Zeromus_X
01-02-2006, 09:17 PM
even though YYH wasnt made until 1990, and FFI was made in 87...

kurama mustve warped back through time :cat::p

KoShiatar
01-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I tend to stick with the idea that in FF3 jobs also change your sex. They're magic after all. :P

Rogue
01-03-2006, 03:51 AM
my sis had a party of girls they were all girls in the dawn of souls guide it go him/her
they say lite warriors so they can be anything you want them to be

Cloud Valentine
01-03-2006, 01:59 PM

He is, the manual makes no remarks to a classes gender. The only reference to gender in the manual is this:

Keep in mind that a character can change only to the advanced version of his or her starting class.

I believe the characters are sexually ambiguous, so that the player can choose their gender. The only exception is the monk in DoS, due to his clothing.

Rogue
01-03-2006, 08:32 PM
lol what if the monk just is a girl but she like the out instead of in lol

Memoria
01-04-2006, 11:40 PM
The monk/blackbelt is always a guy to me. I just don't see a girl wearing just a vest, and I don't think it's buttoned. Also, what FF girl has no hair but a little tail at the end? Okay some puffy spikey brown hair, whatever.

The White mage might be a girl. Or it might be an extremely girly guy. OR it could be Kurama! You know the FF series has a pretty deep connection with girly guys. (I'm looking at you, Kuja!)

Vivi123
01-05-2006, 08:05 AM
WM is both he and she.
FF1: She
FF2: He
FF3: She
FF4: She
FF5: He\She
FF6: None
FF7: None
FF8: None
FF9: She
FF10: He\She
:mog: :choc: :moomba: :choc2:

01-05-2006, 11:41 AM
WM is both he and she.
FF1: She
FF2: He
FF3: She
FF4: She
FF5: He\She
FF6: None
FF7: None
FF8: None
FF9: She
FF10: He\She
:mog: :choc: :moomba: :choc2:
We are debating over the Wh.MAGE in FF1

There is no White MAGE in FF2... MingWu is like a White Mage, but could be made into a Black Mage if you want...

In FF3, it's a dude man! :p

FF10? Read FF2...

Memoria
01-05-2006, 06:50 PM
I want to make a female warrior in FF1. I don't think it's possible. But I can pretend the white mage is a girl, the same with the black mages. It's just on the original you get to see the black wizard's face. He had brown hair and beady black eyes...

KH-Cloudy
01-07-2006, 03:01 AM
they have no genders because they are aliens that uses final fantasy part "fantasy" and using magic to change into whatever they like...:) thats what i think..THEY ARE ALIENS I TELL YOU!!!! XD