PDA

View Full Version : Names.

Shoeberto
11-02-2005, 08:50 PM
What's the story behind your name? The one your parents gave you, that is. Not your stupid internet name, you dumb jerk! That's right, DMKA! I know you're going to read this by hovering your mouse over it so I'm not even going to try >:(

My dad got my name back when he worked on the floor of a factory. He was moving something on skids (I call them skids; my dad calls them skids. However, recently I've heard a different name for them. It was in an article about video game cliches. I don't remember the name now, though, so I will proceed in calling them skids. If you don't follow me, well, stfu.) and he saw the name he ended up giving me on the side of it. I think he saw, though, what I see as the bastardized spelling of it - Stewart, rather than Stuart, which is correct. That is my name.

Tell us, community! Tell us your amazing story!

GunbladeMaster
11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
well my mom said
lets name me philip
and my dad said ok

but i changed it from Philip to Philly later

Yooniece
11-02-2005, 08:53 PM
"Eunice" is an outdated old-caucasian-lady name. However, many Generation-Y Korean Americans are named Eunice because it strongly resembles a Korean name. "Eun-" is a popular suffix to a lot of girl's names... Eunhye, Eunjoo, etc. My parents gave me my Korean name first... "Yoonhee." Eunice, or Eunie, sounded the most like "Yoonhee," and they wanted to give me a unique (Eunique, hah hah) American name so they wrote "Eunice" down on my birth certificate.

Rye
11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
I don't know, I should ask. It was either Jessica or Danielle. I'm glad they picked Jessica. xD

Meat Puppet
11-02-2005, 08:56 PM
A psychedelic drug.

Spammerman
11-02-2005, 08:56 PM
My original name was supposed to be Rene Alexander Cuadrado, but my grandma didn't like it that way so my mom made it Alexander Rene Cuadrado.

Alive-Cat
11-02-2005, 09:01 PM
I have no idea..

Craig
11-02-2005, 09:04 PM
I don't know, I should ask. It was either Jessica or Danielle. I'm glad they picked Jessica. xD

Haha, I thought you said Jessica or Daniel!

I don't know, I think my sister picked it or something.

Old Manus
11-02-2005, 09:11 PM
I asked them to

Strider
11-02-2005, 09:15 PM
I was almost named after Steven Tyler. Yes, the lead singer for Aerosmith.

Oh, and I was almost named Joseph Perry, after Aerosmith's guitarist.

My mom was/still is a huge fan of Aerosmith, but luckily she got talked out of it. :p I'm not really sure where she got Matthew Christopher, though. I think it has to do with the fact Matthew is supposed to mean "gift of God".

Mitch
11-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Mitch is a form of Michael.

Chris
11-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Well, there's nothing much to say. My name is Reno and that's that.

GooeyToast
11-02-2005, 09:30 PM
The doctor named me (probably because I'm his son)

Yamaneko
11-02-2005, 09:33 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/Vasnetsov_Ioann_4.jpg/180px-Vasnetsov_Ioann_4.jpg

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Named after my dad and his father...I really do not like the idea behind that.

Venom
11-02-2005, 09:45 PM
I was named patrtick........ya know after the famous vampire Patrick Dracula............dracula was his middle name.

Jess
11-02-2005, 09:53 PM
My parents just liked the name, they chose Jess over Chyna or Illia (sp?) and some other names. :P

Miriel
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
I think my parents thought that I would be slow in the head so they chose a name with just three letters repeated twice to make things easier on me.

Faris
11-02-2005, 10:16 PM
My parents liked the name 'Elizabeth', and they thought that 'Ashley' sounded good with it.

rubah
11-02-2005, 10:56 PM
If I had been twins, I would have been Jack and Jillian. If I had been just a boy, I would've been Jack Warren anyways. I dunno if Jillian ever had a middle name.

My dad said he also sorta liked Stephanie and Jessica, but those are a lot more common than Allison ^_^

Apparently that was really the only other idea, though. and then my middle name is Idonna after some great-grandmother or something:O

DarkLadyNyara
11-02-2005, 11:14 PM
I was named after a character on Saturday Night Live. :sweat:

WildRaubtier
11-02-2005, 11:25 PM
My Grandfather's name was Neil Kennith so I got Kent Neil. Fairly simple system if you ask me.

Sasquatch
11-02-2005, 11:27 PM
I was named after my uncle. Uncle Adam. Whoa.

(I call them skids; my dad calls them skids. However, recently I've heard a different name for them.

Pallets?

tastetherainbow
11-02-2005, 11:42 PM
There was this singer in Phillipines named Vanessa so my mom said she wanted to name me Vanessa.Yeah.

Winter Nights
11-02-2005, 11:46 PM
My father wanted a junior. End story.

Destai
11-02-2005, 11:47 PM
I was gonna be named either Owen, Conor or Shane. The parents preferred Conor. A year later my cousin took Shane

Kirobaito
11-02-2005, 11:48 PM
My great-grandmother's maiden name is Cayce, so they just changed the spelling. Unfortunately, they would have named me the same thing had I been a girl.

Rinoa.Heartilly
11-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Nothing too amazing. I had to rhyme with my twin sister Brittany, so my name had to be Bethany. My middle is one of the 5 most common middle names ever: Ann. My parents weren't too creative in that department. I mean my twin's middle name is Marie...which is also very common. So that would give you:

Bethany Ann ----------

I guess call me Beth for short.

Shoeberto
11-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Pallets?
Yep, that's it. Now I can not go insane trying to remember it because I'm too lazy to actually look it up.

Rusty
11-03-2005, 12:48 AM
My mothers middle name is Maree, and I guess she just liked the name Chloe, so Chloe Maree it is. It was either that or Jamie Lee.

Marshall Banana
11-03-2005, 12:52 AM
I was named after my grandmother, who was named by or after her mother's best friend. Something like that.

Lord Xehanort
11-03-2005, 01:03 AM
William: My uncle's name... he lived for two long minutes... some legacy
Alexander: My father's middle name... he's a druggie and an alky... some legacy
Clark: My family's surname... our family tree stretches across most of the world, because we have had many MANY whores in our ancestry... some legacy

SammieBabe
11-03-2005, 01:07 AM
My mother's favorite TV show when she was a kid was Bewitched. So it was either Tabitha or Samantha. For some reason she chose Samantha.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
11-03-2005, 01:08 AM
I dont know my mom wanted to name me something that sounded like her name so here it is Elizabeth.By the way my moms name is Isabel

Reine
11-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Well, mum wanted to go along with her ancestry (Norwegian) so I was given the first name Andreil, and the middle name Malekeithe.

I think she didnt do her research >_>

It has come to my attention that Andreil just might be a girls name...

fire_of_avalon
11-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Daddy named me and my sister, even though my grandmother and mother conspired and spelled Sarah's name with an H on her birth certificate instead of Sara the way he wanted it.

He liked the name Megan and didn't know why, but he couldn't find another name to go with it. So one night somebody comes over to see my parents cause they were gonna have a baby and they talk about old times, and they start talking about my dad's best friend that died in a car accident in 1980, who's name was Michael Lynn. Daddy thought about it later and decided it fit, so Megan Lynn I became.

Sarah has the prettier name, I think anyways. Sarah Elizabeth. But mine has more meaning so I say NYAH on her :D

Reine
11-03-2005, 01:42 PM
lol, ANOTHER Elizabeth! Thats like the most common name it seems!

Not like mine :cool:

Neco Arc
11-03-2005, 01:46 PM
i am named after a religious figure....

Resha
11-03-2005, 02:07 PM
I dunno. I guess they just picked it...It is/was a pretty common name in India those days, I think...(Even though I myself am unique and extra-special :p) It means prayer, which I find oh-so-slightly ironic. Pooja. lol. I used to hate my name, but there's no point! So I love it now.

Reine
11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
"Pooooooooooja~"

The customary greeting when Resha joins #eoff :cool:

bipper
11-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Michael John Meyer III - I am named for my Grandfather, and my father, and my son carries on the name as he is the IV.

Bipper is my nick name, partially a way to keep some distinguishing name between the four Mikes :)

Bipper

ThroneofDravaris
11-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Jonathan Michael Greenacre.

Jonathan: “Whom the LORD gave”

Michael: "who is like God"

Greenacre:…

A 1960’s American sit-com?

Sasquatch
11-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Greeeeeen Acres is the place to be ...

I really don't know where my middle name came from. I was named after my dad's brother, but whereas his name is Adam Absom, or something like that, mine is Adam Patrick. I think I'd rather be APA than AAA though.

Destai
11-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Oh yeah, my middle name is peter after my dad and I chose anthony for my confirmation cause I thought it sounded nice.

Garnie
11-03-2005, 03:08 PM
my name is supposed to be angalo saxon but my dad did say its also a name of an african princess and a contry in australia AND a dimond mine:) my names kimberley by the way

Sare
11-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm Sade,
and as far as I've found out I'm named after the singer, who my parents like a lot.

Little Miss Awesome
11-03-2005, 03:49 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/Vasnetsov_Ioann_4.jpg/180px-Vasnetsov_Ioann_4.jpg
Is that Rasputin? :p
I'm called Amy because in the 80's there was a lack of the name, and because it means Love or friendliness, and that is what my Mam wanted me to be. I'm not sure why my middle name is Elizabeth though...

StarlightAngel
11-03-2005, 03:59 PM
My name means "Small;wise"

I ended up small and not wise :(

escobert
11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
I had an uncle named Bob. He was killed in a accident in Germany. MY mom named me after him. I never met him.

Agent Proto
11-03-2005, 04:55 PM
I was told my name came out of a baby book. God, that's original. My brothers, however are a different story. One was named after an actor my mom loved at the time, and the other was expected to be a girl, but turned out to be a boy, and he was named after my dad, because they didn't have a name prepared for a boy.

rubah
11-03-2005, 10:47 PM
well, if we go into meanings, my name is a Truthful Lady who Advertises Alcohol.

Zeldy
11-03-2005, 10:49 PM
I was going to be named Amy, Charlotte or Victoria. But they dont like how you can shorten those names, so i got called Amy

Kamiko
11-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Brianna is a combination of two swedish names of my ancestors. Britta and Anna.
x_X
Elaine is from the stories of King Arthur. Either Gawain's mother or the Elaine who starved herself to death for love of Lancelot.
Dunn is my sisters fathers name. My father has the last name of Wolenschnogle but since I've never met the guy, no idea what it means.
I usually use the name Gustavson, because it's Swedish and I want to. My Swedish family immigrated over here beginning with my Great Grandfather in the 1930's or something like that.
Most of my family still lives there.

RSL
11-03-2005, 11:38 PM
You know, I don't have a clue why my parents picked the name they did. It is something that has never occured to me to ask. Maybe I will next time I see them!

boris no no
11-03-2005, 11:53 PM
well my mum was told she was going to have twins, a boy and a girl. they were goign to call them Cathrine and Callum
i came out, was dead (i was all blue! and wrinkled) so rushed off to make me alive again so no name there. then my sister came out...another girl. she got the girls name Cathrine
i didnt have a name for a while. then my dad chose Ruth as it was from the bible and he always liked it :S
Charlotte is my middle name. in my dads family the name Charles has been pasted down like 6 generations. my dad hated being called junier when he was younger so didnt want to call his son Charlie so i got the female version as my middle name. i have to call one of my kids Charlotte or Charlie now ;[ although i hate the names so more then likely will be middle names :P

Dreddz
11-03-2005, 11:55 PM
My sis picked my name, my parents were gonna call me Fredrick :eek:

Reles
11-04-2005, 12:27 AM
My dad thought Alyssa Milano was hot, so he named me Alyssa. I could have been a Tara, Michelle, Sarah, or some others that I forgot. But yeah, I'm glad they named me Alyssa.

DMKA
11-04-2005, 02:03 AM
Mom: "It's a boy. What should we name it?"
Dad: "Err I dunno."
Mom: "Some random Bible name?"
Dad: "ZOMG THAT ONE GUY WHO'S GOT LIEK HALF TEH BOOKS IN TEH BIBLE NAMED AFTER HIM!111"
Mom: "John?"
Dad: "Yeah! That names great! And not common at all!"
Mom: "Well, that's not necessarily true, but then, we did name our daughter Crystal Rose, but since we've ran out of imagination and finally came to terms with the fact that the hippee generation was prior to our own, I guess we'll just have to be in this time around and go with a name everyone is used to."
Dad: "Ok settled, now pass the pipe."
Mom: "Not for another five seconds."

...and then society began to crumble.

Lord Xehanort
11-04-2005, 03:36 AM
I SO thought your name was Jack.

kikimm
11-04-2005, 03:48 AM
Kristina=Queen of Sweden (once upon a time).

Blackmageboi
11-05-2005, 08:08 AM
i was joe for the first week of my life, then my parents changed it to Jack...

Project G
11-05-2005, 11:10 AM
I was named after a character from a book my mum was reading when she was pregnant with me (Callum) my middle name is the name of an uncle I never met (Christopher)

My bro's name was chosen in the same way (Connor Michael)

Breine
11-05-2005, 01:39 PM
My parents gave the task of naming me to my brother who named me after his best friend, Christian (he also thought of naming me after a friend called Claus, which I'm very happy he didn't!). My parents liked the named, but decided to spell it with a "K" instead. Hence the name Kristian... And I actually like it.

Celes
11-05-2005, 06:36 PM
My mom was going to name me Natasha, but my dad hated it, so they named me Tara, which my mom got from the movie Gone With the Wind. Tara was the name of the heroine's southern plantation. So I was named after a house. But I like my name because it is not so common, I have only known like four other Tara's in my whole life.

Ohh by the way Breine, Kristian is an awesome name! I have loved that name forever, If I ever have a son I am naming him Kristian, or Christian. But I don't want him to be called Kris/Chris. Good luck with that one, huh?

Lord Xehanort
11-06-2005, 12:15 AM
I wish my mother would've named me Wilhelm von Kryst (long 'y' sound... pronounced like 'Christ'). My life would be complete.

NeoTifa
11-06-2005, 12:19 AM
i was named after erica cain on a soap called all my children. although i am sexy, evil and caniving like her XD lol

loza
11-06-2005, 01:10 AM
i was going 2 b named bethany but i got laura insted :D

NeoTifa
11-06-2005, 02:32 AM
i was gonna be rachael, kendale, or olivia (i prefer olivia) but no! i had to be erica! arg!!*bangs forehead in desk*

Butterfly
11-06-2005, 03:31 AM
Holly - Hollyberries - Christmas

My mother named me after Christmas. The hollyberries are mostly seen during that time of the year. I was born in May, but what the heck... lol. I love my name. <3

Well... That, and I think this actress from an older Soap Opera... she mentioned how my hair resembles hers at times, but I might just be getting mixed up. I should ask.

NeoTifa
11-06-2005, 03:35 AM
sounds better than erica *sigh*

Butterfly
11-06-2005, 03:41 AM
I can't stand that actress... I mean, the character Erica. XD She's so annoying at times. I like the caniving part, but yeah... o.o;

Erica is an alright name. It's pretty uncommon around here. I don't know any Erica's. o_O

NeoTifa
11-06-2005, 03:47 AM
there was 3 in our jrotc corps. in the same flight! col. schuster would be like "erica" and 3 people would be like "yes, sir?" XD

Kamiko
11-06-2005, 03:52 AM
Yeah we all thought you were Jonsey.
She smells about the same. :kaolove:

NeoTifa
11-06-2005, 03:54 AM
oh, thanx

Del Murder
11-06-2005, 06:51 AM
My name means priceless.