PDA

View Full Version : At least make an effort.

Agent Proto
11-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Ok, so I read a thread, and it was full of the typical newb typing. Mostly lower-cased, short-hand typing (b, 2, u, ur, etc), and whatnot. I don't really mind reading it, but dammit, at least make an effort to type more properly. It's not tough to spell the small words like you, to, be, and anything else that you would usually shorten. Sure, you can do that in emails or in chatrooms, but this is a forum, and you should at least put more effort to typing and spelling correctly. It's not that hard to do. So what if "short-hand typing" saves time, because you're still wasting time reading and lurking the forums anyway, so at least use the time you're wasting to put effort into typing when you post.

Anyway, that's all. Feel free to vent if you agree or disagree with this, and let's also talk about some of the things that annoys you when you're at a forum, such as this.

GunbladeMaster
11-03-2005, 06:34 PM
i dunno wat ur takin bout here?
i tak propur english
u cant speek it well
so don go blamin us kids fr sumfink bout how bad ar spellin is
;)

Karl
11-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Sorry I guess I should be more efficient with my typing. I do that stuff a lot.

anyway crap that annoys me is whenever anybody types in what people call 1337, numbers or symbols in words, names, anything like that, just annoying

by the way who didnt see it commin that someone would intentionally be ironic

GunbladeMaster
11-03-2005, 06:37 PM
@$$
$#!t
%@&*
w\e

nvm

jk

brb

gtg

there are tons more
;)

edczxcvbnm
11-03-2005, 06:42 PM
:cry: Proto...you mah hero dawg!

*represents*

fire_of_avalon
11-03-2005, 06:44 PM
As long as I can understand it, I don't really care.

Yamaneko
11-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Whatever Proto says is the law of the land.

Levian
11-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Well, you're the one to talk Mr. I use 0's instead o's in my custom rank.

Agent Proto
11-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Well, you're the one to talk Mr. I use 0's instead o's in my custom rank.

I never said anything about what goes on in the profile. Just the posts in general. Does that mean PMs, or signatures, or custom ranks? No. I am not condemning anyone for not putting effort, I'm just saying what I think needs to be said, of course. :P

Word up edczxcvbnm!

Lindy
11-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Welcome to <s>AOL</s> the internet.

Levian
11-03-2005, 06:54 PM
I never said anything about what goes on in the profile. Just the posts in general. Does that mean PMs, or signatures, or custom ranks? No. I am not condemning anyone for not putting effort, I'm just saying what I think needs to be said, of course. :P

I'm only pulling your leg. :cool:

Tasura
11-03-2005, 07:01 PM
I try most times for proper punctuation and the like, but some times I don't feel like it, but one thing I don't do is the to = 2, you = u, and be = b, I don't do that intenionaly. But punctuation I do forgoe at times.

DK
11-03-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm 0nly pulling y0ur leg. :cool:

Fixed.

Captain Maxx Power
11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
I agree 110% with your here Proto. One day I will find all these short-hand "lolling" typists and force them to learn correct english by gunpoint.

Psychotic
11-03-2005, 07:25 PM
I hate it when people like Proto think that they are so high-and-mighty that they have the right to judge how other people post. Who do you think you are? You should make the effort to show others respect and maybe they will make the effort to type to a level which conforms to your personal standards which you are imposing on everyone else!

...almost had you there, didn't I? LAUGHEMOTICONGOESHEREBUTIFIINCLUDEITITWON'TBEUNDERTHESPOILERTAGANDYOU'LLSEEITANDWON'TFALLFORMYHILARI OUSPRANK. Hey wow, I typed a line in caps lock with no spaces. Naughty me!

Chris
11-03-2005, 07:25 PM
What difference does it make? If a small thing like that irritates you, then why are you even a member of a forum?

omnitarian
11-03-2005, 07:30 PM
omg proto ur so mean u shld back off b/c this isnt skool, i can type how i want ppl can read it ne wayz rite

Seriously people. Writing "2" instead of "to", "b" instead of "be", or "ne" instead of "any" saves you one freaking keystroke! Ifyoureallywanttosavetypingtime, whynotwritewithoutspaces? Itsavesmuchmoretimethanabbreviatingletters, andpeoplecanstillreadwhatyou'resaying, soit'sperfect!

GunbladeMaster
11-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Iunderstoodeveryword

Anaisa
11-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Writing like that is just plain selfish because they are only thinking about saving themselves time. They're not thinking about the time it takes everybody else to decipher everything they've wrote.

Lindy
11-03-2005, 07:41 PM
I agree 110% with your here Proto. One day I will find all these short-hand "lolling" typists and force them to learn correct english by gunpoint.
NO U

Reine
11-03-2005, 07:44 PM
I completely agree with Proto. Sure a few typos are acceptable, but plain time saving really annoys me.

Old Manus
11-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Those people are actually better than us.

Rye
11-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Nothing much at this forum bugs me, just EoTW and music nazis that say stuff like "HAHA YOUR MUSIC SUCKS AT LIFE" or something.

Miriel
11-03-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't bother to read those posts, so it doesn't really concern me when people type as though they were drunk monkeys.

Destai
11-03-2005, 08:22 PM
I dont care.

edczxcvbnm
11-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Nothing much at this forum bugs me, just EoTW and music nazis that say stuff like "HAHA YOUR MUSIC SUCKS AT LIFE" or something.

It is

Your music sucks
and
You fail at life

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-03-2005, 08:54 PM
i dunno wat ur takin bout here?
i tak propur english
u cant speek it well
so don go blamin us kids fr sumfink bout how bad ar spellin is
;)

yeah, wat up wit that? i don no wat ur takin bout. u cant read rite. i type gud.

GunbladeMaster
11-03-2005, 08:56 PM
I am God.

EDIT: I am gud

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-03-2005, 08:58 PM
I am God.

EDIT: I am gud

heh...heh....

Spiffing Cheese
11-03-2005, 08:59 PM
It annoys the holy buhjesus out of me.

Shlup
11-03-2005, 09:00 PM
If people want everyone to think they're stupid that's their problem. :)

rubah
11-03-2005, 10:49 PM
is "More Properly" a proper phrase? :O

it just sounds really weird to me.

Odaisé Gaelach
11-03-2005, 10:55 PM
To me it's a capital offence if it's done in the Writer's Corner, other than that it doesn't bother me as long as I can understand what they're saying.

Neco Arc
11-03-2005, 11:36 PM
as long as it is easy to comprehend....

RSL
11-03-2005, 11:36 PM
As long as I can make out what is being said, I don't mind. I'm not a perfect speller by any means.

escobert
11-04-2005, 12:37 AM
It's all my fualt. /action kills himslef.

Rusty
11-04-2005, 12:42 AM
As long as I can make out what is being said, I don't mind. I'm not a perfect speller by any means.

Yes.

DMKA
11-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Proto's just racist.

ThroneofDravaris
11-04-2005, 02:04 AM
I don't really mind reading it, but dammit, at least make an effort to type more properly.

Win.

Samuraid
11-04-2005, 02:11 AM
i dun no y pplz type lik this. It's pure laziness.

Psychotic
11-04-2005, 02:44 AM
Proto's just racist.It's true, I heard he called for a genocide against all people from the lovely country of Gabon. RUN, MY GABONESE FRIENDS! THE PROTO IS AFTER YOU!

I bet they can't type very well either, poor sods. They're screwed.

nik0tine
11-04-2005, 02:47 AM
Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but can this specific thread be found somewhere around here? (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)

StarlightAngel
11-04-2005, 03:30 AM
I don't mind stuff like "brb" and "lol" and such. But the "b"s and "2s" and crap like that annoy the heck out of me. I especially hate when I'm instant messaging someone and the conversation goes something like:

Me: No, *insert name here* is his real name.
Person: o
Person: wats ur favrit anme?
Me: *insert anime name here* ^^
Person: o
Person: kool

I mean, seriously. How hard is it to type "oh" or "what's"? Not to mention, what exactly is so great about typing "cool" incorrectly? Is it fun to let everyone know that you can't type?

I'm done for the moment :)

Skogs
11-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Does this herald the return of the Grammar Gestappo?

Personally, I'm all for it.

However, I'm AM the kind of person who's text messages are grammatically perfect, right down to the minutiae of punctuation and capitalisation.

So maybe my views are a tad extreme...

That same can't always be said for my spelling, but that's through ineptitude rather than laziness...

Meat Puppet
11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
i make an effort to type like i do

fire_of_avalon
11-04-2005, 01:16 PM
I dare you to bring this Grammar Gestapo back. For every mistake they cite, I will work ceaslessly to expose the most overlooked and minute mistakes they may contain. I will be the voice of the people! I will not let this injustice continue!

And again, I really don't see what there is to complain about. If it bothers you that much, don't read it.

Loony BoB
11-04-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm somewhere inbetween all those people who are talking about how annoying it is and all those people who say they don't care too much because they just don't read the posts.

I have to read the posts, because it's in my job description as a moderator. I still skip them every now and then, but I make a point to check out what individual people are like as often as I can.

Time for some reasoning, though.

And it is a problem because we want to encourage people to join EoFF and a lot of people find it discouraging. I mean, if this site were Spanish, I wouldn't have joined, because I don't speak Spanish. Same for French, German, Afrikaans, whatever. I speak English, so I join forums where people speak English. A lot of the time, the same can be said for how people type. If you have two forums - one where they put in the effort to type correctly and one where they don't... well, I would expect that people who type well would join the place where people type well, and people who type poorly would join the place where people type poorly. If this place is getting a noticable increase of poor grammar, then to me, that's bad advertising, and I don't like it. :(