PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Poltergeist is the father of ultimate awesomeness!

Ultima Shadow
11-03-2005, 06:38 PM
I can't judge whenever this belongs to FFVI or FFVIII but I decided to post it here, just to disgust Flying Mullet by mentioning "Final Fantasy VIII" in his beloved Final Fantasy VI forum. :)

And no, this doesn't belong to General FF because General FF sucks. :)

Anyways... now, let's get to the actual point of this thread (which is pretty pointless anyways):

Poltergeist looks a whole lot like Ultima Weapon from Final Fantasy VIII and I'm pretty sure that Square had Poltergeist in mind while designing Ultima Weapon. Oh, and just in case you have no idea who Poltergeist is, it's one of those magical statues in FFVI.

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Bosses/38%20-%20Poltergeist.gif
1) Poltergeist is a creature with 2 bodies. The lower part is a big beast and the upper part is a demon-like figure. Just like Ultima Weapon.
2) The upper part of Poltergeist have wings, just like Ultima Weapon's upper part.
3) The whole form and structure of both the upper and lower part of Poltergeist's body looks a lot like that of Ultima Weapon.
4) Poltergeist's face (upper part) just looks so darn much like Ultima Weapon's face!
5) They both wield a big, cool and totally awesome weapon! (Poltergeist wields an axe and Ultima Weapon a sword)

Yeah... so feel free to discuss whenever I'm right or totally correct! :)

Not yet asked questions:

Q: What's the point of this thread?
A: I'll point YOUR thread! ;)

Q: Why did you make this thread?
A: To show everyone how smart I am who found out about all this awesome, yet pointless stuff!

Q: Is there really anything to discuss in this thread?
A: Ummmm... that's up to you.

Q: I think this thread should be moved to the FF8 forum... :greenie:
A: Shut up! :greenie:

* White Aeris *
11-03-2005, 06:46 PM
some good points there. they are very alike. im in a serious mood. You've just missed my hyper one.

Sasquatch
11-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Yes, FFVII stole/copied/etc. a lot of things from FFVI. Like Vincent, for one. I guess this is just another.

Ultima Shadow
11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Yes, FFVII stole/copied/etc. a lot of things from FFVI. Like Vincent, for one. I guess this is just another.I'm talking about Ultima Weapon from FFVIII, not FFVII.

Flying Mullet
11-03-2005, 07:48 PM
I decided to post it here, just to disgust Flying Mullet by mentioning "Final Fantasy VIII" in his beloved Final Fantasy VI forum. :):smash: :p

You're right though, Ultima Weapon looks a lot like Poltergeist.

KoShiatar
11-03-2005, 09:56 PM
It's no news Nomura (and other FF designers) took a lot from Amano designs. ^__^

Ultima Shadow
11-03-2005, 11:11 PM
It's no news Nomura (and other FF designers) took a lot from Amano designs. ^__^Yeah, but THIS is really something special! I mean... it's about Ultima Weapon and papa Poltergeist! :cool:

ThroneofDravaris
11-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Poltergeist owns Ultima Weapon appearance wise…

Although I think that this:

http://www.toymania.com/news/images/pm_ffviii_ultimaweapon.jpg

Was probably based upon this:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/deng.suiguang/Kuvat/Hahmot/weapon_ultima.jpg

Come to think of it though, his FFVII form looks more like more like Poltergeist than the FFVIII form…

PS: Ruby Weapon owns both of them.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/EspMon/ruby7-o.jpg

eestlinc
11-04-2005, 12:49 AM
man ff6 had crappy graphics. I can hardly even tell what it's supposed to be. The color scheme is horrible.

Good find, I guess. Never played ff8 so I don't know.

Masamune·1600
11-04-2005, 01:07 AM
For that matter, the "base" of Goddess

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Bosses/39%20-%20Goddess%20(FF6).gif

might have been behind the Edea design. Who knows? ;)

Never played ff8 so I don't know.

For your own sake, I advise you to immediately pick up a copy of FFVIII. :p

Ultima Shadow
11-04-2005, 01:12 AM
ToD: Well, personally, I think the FFVIII one looks a lot more like Poltergeist. But... whatever.

*agrees* xD

Prancing Mad
11-04-2005, 04:16 AM
I agree totally with you. btw, pointless little things like this are what I live for. That's why I'm on this forum (see my point on how because of the background for doom gaze, it looks like he's wearing untied sneakers). Although, not so much with the Edea thing. Now I think what we need to do with this forum is turn it into a the subject of how FF8 and (place FF here) are actually in the same world.

eestlinc
11-04-2005, 05:05 AM
man the goddess statue is hot! *considers firing up the goddess avatar again*

I hear ff8 has too many movies in it. I get annoyed by the long cut scenes and stuff in ff7, and I hear ff8 has even more. of course, ff6 has lots of cut scenes too. I wish you could fast forward through them without using an emulator.

x_Hopeless_Deviate_x
11-04-2005, 07:15 AM
About the 'crappy' graphics of FF6...
Yeah, they're definitely crappy by today's standards.
But think of when the game was made...
I thought it was amazing considering the way most games looked back then.

Flying Mullet
11-04-2005, 01:24 PM
The graphics don't look as bad when they're not blown up.

Poltergeist (http://figarocastle.homemade-websites.com/bossesWOR.php#Poltergeist)
http://figarocastle.homemade-websites.com/images/bosses/poltergeist.gif
Goddess (http://figarocastle.homemade-websites.com/bossesWOR.php#Goddess)
http://figarocastle.homemade-websites.com/images/bosses/goddess.gif

Sasquatch
11-04-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm talking about Ultima Weapon from FFVIII, not FFVII.

Oh. . . . ummm . . . That too. Actually, I've noticed quite a bit in newer games (as far as VII and VIII go, maybe even the newer ones) as a take-off of things from FFVI.

Flying Mullet
11-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh. . . . ummm . . . That too. Actually, I've noticed quite a bit in newer games (as far as VII and VIII go, maybe even the newer ones) as a take-off of things from FFVI.
That's because FFVI is the best. :chef:

Christmas
11-04-2005, 01:33 PM
I think the WEAPONS kinda had the similarities in design since FF VII

http://www.kolumbus.fi/deng.suiguang/Kuvat/Hahmot/weapon_ultima.jpg

http://www.gdronline.com/ff/08/imgweapons/ultima.gif

http://www.ffcompendium.com/EspMon/ultimaweapon10.jpg

They both have a "secondary" bodies....

ThroneofDravaris
11-04-2005, 01:35 PM
That's because FFVI is the best.

No it's not. I mean, it didn’t even have a Deus Ex Machina “Where the f@#$ did you come from?!” Final boss Battle!

Christmas
11-04-2005, 01:52 PM
We know where FF 7 and FF 10 WEAPONS came from. As for FF VIII, I did make some..ahhh...deductions. Feel free to read it for references.

Plot Theories. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=68988&highlight=plot+theories)

KoShiatar
11-04-2005, 02:03 PM
For that matter, the "base" of Goddess

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Bosses/39%20-%20Goddess%20(FF6).gif

might have been behind the Edea design. Who knows? ;)

That's what Kishi says and he got me quite convinced. Altough I think Edea also looks a lot like this Amano illustration.

http://www.artwallpapers.net/gallery/yo/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifaka_amano/page/image18.html

ThroneofDravaris
11-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Lol, worst censor ever...

Master.Pug
11-04-2005, 02:25 PM
man ff6 had crappy graphics. I can hardly even tell what it's supposed to be. The color scheme is horrible.

Good find, I guess. Never played ff8 so I don't know.

Good!
Please never come to the idea to play this or you'll have a horrible FF-experience! Stay to good ol VI:D

Slothy
11-04-2005, 05:32 PM
http://www.artwallpapers.net/gallery/yo/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifaka_amano/page/image18.html

I laughed hysterically at this to be honest.

Anyway, on topic. This wouldn't be the first time FF monsters have had similarities across different games.

As for a statement earlier by KoShiatar talking about Nomura and others borrowing from Amano's designs, I could have sworn he didn't design the monsters in FF6, and was just the character designer. The best I can find is the credits listing the monster graphic designer as one Hitoshi Sasaki. If I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me.

KoShiatar
11-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah, but I think Sasaki was the one who turned the monster designs into actual sprites or re-designed them so they could be turned more easily into CG. Some monsters are just too definitely Amano-esque. Think about the Goddesses for instance, or Ultros, or most bosses.

Slothy
11-05-2005, 02:24 AM
Could simply mean they were made to be Amono-esque, or he could have perhaps done some of the designs. I believe there is an Amano picture of Ultros in the old SNES instruction manual come to think of it. I could just swear I read that someone else did the monster designs somewhere, but if I did it was a long time ago. It's always possible I'm thinking of another game in the series too. A lot of monsters just don't remind me of his art style at all though. It's always possible someone else did a lot of the random enemies and he mainly worked on bosses and characters.

Meh, it's not a big deal either way; just my usual nitpicking self.

DJZen
11-05-2005, 03:49 AM
So... did everyone just completely forget that Ultima Weapon is actually IN FFVI?

ThroneofDravaris
11-05-2005, 05:38 AM
No, but he doesn’t look anything like the incarnation in FFVIII….

Strider
11-05-2005, 08:19 AM
You all pay too much attention. :p

Sasquatch
11-05-2005, 10:13 PM
So... did everyone just completely forget that Ultima Weapon is actually IN FFVI?

What?

You mean as Atma, or something else?

Ultima Shadow
11-06-2005, 12:45 AM
So... did everyone just completely forget that Ultima Weapon is actually IN FFVI?Of course not. I just thought it was an intressting fact that the newer versions of Ultima Weapon looks more like Poltergeist rather than like the old, orginal version. That's the whole point! :cool:

What?

You mean as Atma, or something else?
FFVI: Yes... he DO appear in this game but he's called Atma weapon. Now you may think: "WTF? Atma Weapon has NOTHING to do with Ultima Weapon!" BUT YOU'RE WRONG! Time for the Atma=Ultima theory...

In FFVI there's a creature called Atma Weapon. But his real name is... Ultima Weapon. Why do I (and others) think so?
Reasons: 1) The name "Ultima Weapon" includes more letters than it's possible to have in a monster's name in FFVI. Therefore it had to be cut down to Utma Weapon. Now, atleast 2 things could have happened. Either... they changed Utma Weapon to Atma Weapon because it sounds cooler... or maybe... the calculator replaced the U with an A just because, as we all know, the translators are weird. 2) There's a sword called Atma Weapon in FFVI... and there's a sword called Ultima Weapon in FFVII, FFVIII(the creature weilds it) and FFIX.(and in japan, Tidus best weapon is also called Ultima Weapon instead of "whatever the name of his best weapon is"). In FFVI a schoolar tells you about the Atma sword. It's a sword created by the wielder's spirit (or something like that). Now... did you notice that Ultima Weapon (the sword) changes colour when Cloud's hp is low? Because he's close to die and if he dies, his spirit leaves him. This make both Atma and Ultima Weapon get weaker when your HP is low but extremely strong when your HP is high. That's because it's the same sword! 3) The look of Atma Weapon actually reminds a little of the lower part of Ultima Weapon's body in FFVIII. 4) You can kill Atma Weapon by taking away all its MP and in FFVII Ultima(te) Weapon only have MP based attacks, which means that if you take away his MP he becomes completely unable to perform any action. 5) If you scan FFX-2s Ultima Weapon, the description of the monster says: "Whatever you do... don't call it Atma." Of course not! Because his true name never was Atma. His true name was Ultima Weapon all the time. They just had to take away 2 letters (L and I) and all that stuff.

ThroneofDravaris
11-06-2005, 04:19 AM
...Yep

Reine
11-06-2005, 10:31 AM
lol, true

ThroneofDravaris
11-06-2005, 11:55 PM
One more thing (from Wikipedia):

Altima and Ultima
The name "Altima" is actually a mistranslation and was intended to be "Ultima" to match the name of the spell, Ultima, and the Ultima Demons that are also found in the game. The error was corrected in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance where "Ultima" serves as the Totema for the Nu Mou race.

This means that when Ultima Weapon was translated, it probably came out as ‘Altima Weapon”. This would account for the abbreviation “Atma”.

Ultima Shadow
11-07-2005, 12:32 AM

This means that when Ultima Weapon was translated, it probably came out as ‘Altima Weapon”. This would account for the abbreviation “Atma”.That's cool. Thanks for that info. :cool:

Sasquatch
11-07-2005, 04:49 AM
FFVI: Yes... he DO appear in this game but he's called Atma weapon. Now you may think: "WTF? Atma Weapon has NOTHING to do with Ultima Weapon!" BUT YOU'RE WRONG! Time for the Atma=Ultima theory...

In FFVI there's a creature called Atma Weapon. But his real name is... Ultima Weapon. Why do I (and others) think so?
Reasons: 1) The name "Ultima Weapon" includes more letters than it's possible to have in a monster's name in FFVI. Therefore it had to be cut down to Utma Weapon. Now, atleast 2 things could have happened. Either... they changed Utma Weapon to Atma Weapon because it sounds cooler... or maybe... the calculator replaced the U with an A just because, as we all know, the translators are weird. 2) There's a sword called Atma Weapon in FFVI... and there's a sword called Ultima Weapon in FFVII, FFVIII(the creature weilds it) and FFIX.(and in japan, Tidus best weapon is also called Ultima Weapon instead of "whatever the name of his best weapon is"). In FFVI a schoolar tells you about the Atma sword. It's a sword created by the wielder's spirit (or something like that). Now... did you notice that Ultima Weapon (the sword) changes colour when Cloud's hp is low? Because he's close to die and if he dies, his spirit leaves him. This make both Atma and Ultima Weapon get weaker when your HP is low but extremely strong when your HP is high. That's because it's the same sword! 3) The look of Atma Weapon actually reminds a little of the lower part of Ultima Weapon's body in FFVIII. 4) You can kill Atma Weapon by taking away all its MP and in FFVII Ultima(te) Weapon only have MP based attacks, which means that if you take away his MP he becomes completely unable to perform any action. 5) If you scan FFX-2s Ultima Weapon, the description of the monster says: "Whatever you do... don't call it Atma." Of course not! Because his true name never was Atma. His true name was Ultima Weapon all the time. They just had to take away 2 letters (L and I) and all that stuff.

The question is -- how do you know it wasn't originally supposed to be Atma Weapon? It wouldn't be far off at all to expect FFVI to have the original piece, and the later ones to take after it, would it? They changed the name to Ultima for the later games, not from Ultima for the earlier game. If "Ultima Weapon" wouldn't fit in FFVI, they would have shortened it to "Ultima Wpn.", not "Atma Weapon".

That's what I say, anyway. But I'm tired of later games getting credit for things that were in earlier games. Makes sense to me.

DJZen
11-07-2005, 05:43 AM
You can blame Square not giving Ted Woolsey any documentation on what the names of things were supposed to be for that one.

Ultima Shadow
11-07-2005, 08:25 AM
The question is -- how do you know it wasn't originally supposed to be Atma Weapon? It wouldn't be far off at all to expect FFVI to have the original piece, and the later ones to take after it, would it? They changed the name to Ultima for the later games, not from Ultima for the earlier game. If "Ultima Weapon" wouldn't fit in FFVI, they would have shortened it to "Ultima Wpn.", not "Atma Weapon".

That's what I say, anyway. But I'm tired of later games getting credit for things that were in earlier games. Makes sense to me.Well...

Altima and Ultima
The name "Altima" is actually a mistranslation and was intended to be "Ultima" to match the name of the spell, Ultima, and the Ultima Demons that are also found in the game. The error was corrected in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance where "Ultima" serves as the Totema for the Nu Mou race.

This means that when Ultima Weapon was translated, it probably came out as ‘Altima Weapon”. This would account for the abbreviation “Atma”....That, and what DJZen said.

And except their looks, they simply have too many things in common.

Braindead_Paul
11-08-2005, 04:19 PM
1) The name "Ultima Weapon" includes more letters than it's possible to have in a monster's name in FFVI. Therefore it had to be cut down to Utma Weapon. Now, atleast 2 things could have happened. Either... they changed Utma Weapon to Atma Weapon because it sounds cooler... or maybe... the calculator replaced the U with an A just because, as we all know, the translators are weird. 2) There's a sword called Atma Weapon in FFVI... and there's a sword called Ultima Weapon in FFVII, FFVIII(the creature weilds it) and FFIX.(and in japan, Tidus best weapon is also called Ultima Weapon instead of "whatever the name of his best weapon is"). In FFVI a schoolar tells you about the Atma sword. It's a sword created by the wielder's spirit (or something like that). Now... did you notice that Ultima Weapon (the sword) changes colour when Cloud's hp is low? Because he's close to die and if he dies, his spirit leaves him. This make both Atma and Ultima Weapon get weaker when your HP is low but extremely strong when your HP is high. That's because it's the same sword! 3) The look of Atma Weapon actually reminds a little of the lower part of Ultima Weapon's body in FFVIII. 4) You can kill Atma Weapon by taking away all its MP and in FFVII Ultima(te) Weapon only have MP based attacks, which means that if you take away his MP he becomes completely unable to perform any action. 5) If you scan FFX-2s Ultima Weapon, the description of the monster says: "Whatever you do... don't call it Atma." Of course not! Because his true name never was Atma. His true name was Ultima Weapon all the time. They just had to take away 2 letters (L and I) and all that stuff.

Btw., Atma/Ultima Weapon from VI has 4 legs and 2 "arms" (well, kind of) just like its successors... :shifty:

Nightmare X
11-08-2005, 06:30 PM
^Indeed, that or 6 legs.

http://nillahood.net/ups/atma_weapon.png

boys from the dwarf
11-09-2005, 08:00 PM
i think poltergeist looks awesome but his head and face and the helmet he wears makes him look like a dragoon.

Skyblade
11-10-2005, 08:25 PM
^Indeed, that or 6 legs.

http://nillahood.net/ups/atma_weapon.png

I count five...

Sasquatch
11-11-2005, 06:03 PM
If there were only five, there'd be one back right, two front right, and two front left. It's logical to assume there's a back left in there, also.

Not to mention, if you look at his front right, I think the part behind and to the left of his forearm isn't a part of his other forearm, but his rear left leg.

Reine
12-15-2005, 05:54 PM
I never noticed those extra arms/legs...

Memoria
12-20-2005, 09:40 PM
About the 'crappy' graphics of FF6...
Yeah, they're definitely crappy by today's standards.
But think of when the game was made...
I thought it was amazing considering the way most games looked back then.

Not only that, but I am amazed at the amount of detail found in all the monsters. Especially the statue fights!

Wolfmeister
01-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Goddess design reminds me of the final form of the Last Boss from Parasite Eve.

The nudity and also the torso which abnormally mutated and grown outside to the leg.

look at this link if you don't play PE.

http://broken-spirit.net/evolution/media/official/official5.jpg