PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Innovations

vdogmrjacob
11-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Final Fantasy (and consequently, Square-Enix) is known for innovating the RPG genre. Between battle systems, magic systems, and equipment systems, FF has taken many leaps and strides to find an overall excellent game system. I liked FFX, with it's new leveling grid, weapons and armor abilities, and CTB.

So, first question: which FF game (can be any, but I'd like to limit it to the main roman numeraled games), in your opinion, had the best system innovations? And was this game better because of those innovations?

Second question: what kind of new and original (please do not cite systems already used by mainstream FF) systems would you like to see in an RPG/FF?

Neco Arc
11-05-2005, 03:37 AM
1st question: ff6 and 7
2nd question: anything suitable

rubah
11-05-2005, 05:53 AM
I haven't played many rpgs outside of ff, so I dont know what kind of things occur often and which don't.

Strider
11-05-2005, 08:21 AM
I'd say FFVIII's Junction system was probably the most innovative. It was tedious, though, which probably annoyed a lot of the people who played the game, but you've gotta give Square credit for not being afraid to try new ideas.

BG-57
11-05-2005, 03:53 PM
I loved FFV's concept of changable jobs to reflect the player's style of gameplay, instead of being forced to always have one fighter, one thief, one white mage, etc.... Too bad Square spent more time on that than the plot. :rolleyes2

The job system reached full flower in FFT, which is still my favorite FF.

As for ideas I'd like to see, I think it's time that summons got their own FF where they were the main playable characters. One idea is that they gradually learn each other's abilities while fighting together.

Example: Shiva and Ifrit could fight together. Shiva knows ice magic and Ifrit knows fire magic. But they could gradually learn spells of the opposite element like the way magicite works. Call it the Osmosis system.

Necron
11-05-2005, 04:33 PM
FF7 had the most innovative system out of all the Final Fantasy's. This therefore, in my opinion, makes this a better game.

rubah
11-05-2005, 05:19 PM
I loved FFV's concept of changable jobs to reflect the player's style of gameplay, instead of being forced to always have one fighter, one thief, one white mage, etc.... Too bad Square spent more time on that than the plot. :rolleyes2

The job system reached full flower in FFT, which is still my favorite FF.

As for ideas I'd like to see, I think it's time that summons got their own FF where they were the main playable characters. One idea is that they gradually learn each other's abilities while fighting together.

Example: Shiva and Ifrit could fight together. Shiva knows ice magic and Ifrit knows fire magic. But they could gradually learn spells of the opposite element like the way magicite works. Call it the Osmosis system.
Everyone knows that summons just sit in their caves until someone finds them though, so you'll have to have a game where teh summoner just walks around forever, and maybe fights against other summoners and the summonbeast just sorta leaves and goes with the other ones:D

BG-57
11-06-2005, 02:04 AM
You know, seeing the Summons killing time would make for an interesting game too. :greenie:

Rengori
11-06-2005, 03:38 AM
I loved FFV's concept of changable jobs to reflect the player's style of gameplay, instead of being forced to always have one fighter, one thief, one white mage, etc....Same here. It's awsome having a thief that can make his knife about 5x more powerful with sword magic. :D

Anywho, second question, as long as it isn't anything like a sphere grid, I'm fine with it.

DJZen
11-06-2005, 06:15 AM
FFVII introduced Heidegger.

Ultima Shadow
11-06-2005, 08:37 AM
I'll probably have to agree that FFV had the best overall system.

vdogmrjacob
11-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Alright, good feedback, guys. Thanks a bunch.

JRawkSteady
11-17-2005, 06:04 PM
FFVI - it was incredibly cinematic! You got to play 3 simultaneous journeys at one point, which had never been done before, the opera house scene was just great.. etc etc, definitely the most ff game ever made