PDA

View Full Version : Jarhead

Shoeberto
11-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Anyone else seen it?

I thought it was alright. Pretty interesting stuff.

Miriel
11-05-2005, 03:15 AM
I really really really want to see this. Really. How was Jake Gyllenhaal in the movie? That boy is gonna get an Oscar nomination this year. What about Peter Sarsgaard? Jamie Foxx? I hear that the movie is visually stunning and that you don't really get to see a lot of war despite Jarhead being a war movie.

I need to see this movie. Like, right now.

Shoeberto
11-05-2005, 03:19 AM
Well, you won't be disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing it, too, and while I wasn't completely blown away, it was still really good.

All of the actors did good jobs, but I doubt they'll get any awards for their roles. Not that they aren't capable, but the script limits what they were able to do in that regard.

GooeyToast
11-05-2005, 03:27 AM
Rarely do I want to see war movies, but I definetly want to see this one.

Necronopticous
11-05-2005, 03:31 AM
It was great, not the best thing Sam Mendez has ever done but very effective filmmaking nonetheless. It was a bit anticlimactic, although it's hard to say that it was a drawback since that was kind of the point. Maybe I just felt like the epilogue scenes were a little bit rushed.

DMKA
11-05-2005, 05:47 AM
I hate war films, and I'm broke, so I doubt I'll be seeing it.

Miriel
11-05-2005, 06:21 AM
All the showings were sold out. :( :( :(

Yamaneko
11-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Is it an anti-war movie?

Necronopticous
11-05-2005, 06:34 AM
It's certainly not a pro-war movie.

nik0tine
11-05-2005, 06:45 AM
Oh really? I had just assumed from the commercials that it was just another stupid patriotic pro war movie. Would it be worth seeing for the simple fact that I am anti war?

Necronopticous
11-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Oh yeah, by the way Metroid doesn't have levels.

Mr. Mojo Risin
11-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Saw it. The movie is politically neutral for those who are wondering.

There are a lot of beautiful images in the movie. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that Saddam 'Insane' torched the oil wells and this movie seemed to capture that in a very artistic manner.

escobert
11-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Can't wait to see it. I love war movies, my favorite are Platoon and A midnight Clear.

kikimm
11-05-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't exactly like war movies (pro or anti, doesn't matter) but I really wanted to see this when I saw the trailer for it. So I'm going to go see it tonight. It's got a great cast.

Necronopticous
11-05-2005, 06:57 PM
And crew.

Miriel
11-06-2005, 12:11 AM
$10,470,000 for Jarhead on Friday. Amazing numbers for a movie that opened in so few theaters and that didn't exactly sit well with critics.

Oh yeah, and was the trailer to Munich attached to the movie? Please say yes.

Shoeberto
11-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Yes, and it looks really good.

Miriel
11-06-2005, 12:49 AM
If I don't get my Jarhead with a side of Munich and King Kong, I will be a very sad movie-goer.

Max
11-06-2005, 03:52 AM
I guarentee sometime next week I will see this...

lordblazer
11-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Is it an anti-war movie?
Its about how soldiers deal with war, dela with boredom while wating to go into action far away from their homes and worried about rather or not there wife or girlfriend is cheating on them....

Anyway its funny also so watch it.

Miriel
11-06-2005, 08:39 AM
I loved it. Loved the moment when the bombs started going off and Swoff just stood there with the dust swirling around him. It was beautiful.

In fact, the whole movie was gorgeous. The ending was a bit odd, and I'm not sure how much I actually liked the voiceovers but I thought the characters were really great and the fact that they never got to kill anyone was really interesting.

And Peter Sarsgaard is one of the most underrated actors. Ever.

The Munich trailer before the movie gave me shivers.

Edit - I really should mention that I laughed a lot during this movie. It was funnier than I expected with a movie like this.

Kalen
11-07-2005, 04:17 PM
If I have the money, I would like to see it.

Sasquatch
11-07-2005, 08:31 PM
I'd like to see it, but I'm wary of it. With movies like this, there's no telling how accurate they actually are -- they're made for the masses, not geared towards soldiers, so it's alright with them if they make it less accurate to make it more appealling. Happens all the time. Most people won't know the difference.

I've noticed I do that a lot -- pick movies and TV shows apart as to their accuracy, if it's something I'm knowledgeable about, until I'm not interested in them anymore. Like the show Over There, which is pretty bad.

It looks interesting, but I'm afraid I'll be thinking "what a crock" through the entire thing.

Crushed Hope
11-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Well, my uncle is in the marines, and I suppose he had actually seen the movie as was infuriated with how much they romanticize the whole experience.

They showed a very biased piece of the war to my knowledge and in a sense disgraced the soldiers.

Yooniece
11-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Parts of it made me get Full Metal Jacket flashbacks.

I loved it. Not just because Jake Gyllenhaal is one of my favorite actors (and happens to have an amazing ass). It started off as a tounge-in-cheek marine comedy but as it progressed... I didn't know quite how to react to it (which, in my opinion, is how great dramas should make you feel). I felt disturbed, anxious, proud, amused, aroused.. this film kind of plays on the senses. I walked out with the same facial expression as everyone else. =|

GooeyToast
11-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah I saw it a week ago and I really enjoyed it. Probably one of the best war movies I've ever seen, besides FMJ. I like the fact that both really play on the senses instead of the actual war itself.

And I agree Jake Gyllanhal is a great actor. This and Donnie Darko proves he has a lot of potential.

Mythra
11-18-2005, 02:58 AM
*Agrees with GooeyToast 100%*