PDA

View Full Version : Was 4 the most epic of them all?

Classic Axe
11-05-2005, 04:09 PM
On personal drama, we all know that FF6 and 7 slammed us over the head the most. As for uniqueness, same thing. In scale, it was probably 5, with three worlds and all (more like 2.5 really).

I still think 4 was on the biggest scale. It had the evil empire, the hero's catharsis, wars both in backstory and involving you, the moon, and one of the few high fantasy stories to actually work as a game.
The only problem was the final boss who didn't really have a story except for the puppet master.

Crossblades
11-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I agree. IV had a more detailed story unlike it's first three predeccessors

DJZen
11-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I agree, FFIV was overreaching and pretentious.

Captain Maxx Power
11-06-2005, 12:13 PM

Truly?!

Vapour
11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Ye it was.........Kinda?

Halenite
11-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Truly?!

Haha.
Is that true?

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
11-10-2005, 05:38 AM
Maybe because 1-3's space and graphical inferiorism... the music was also in less MIDI sounding theme

Classic Axe
11-23-2005, 04:23 AM
Still what game besides FF4 really did High Fantasy right. Actually what of anything did it right?

DJZen
11-24-2005, 12:39 AM
Maybe because 1-3's space and graphical inferiorism... the music was also in less MIDI sounding theme

The SNES used MIDI for music.

crashNUMBERS
11-24-2005, 02:58 AM
FFIV has the best story of all FF, and tops many RPGs in that same factor...

TurkSlayer
11-24-2005, 03:18 AM
I was never really hooked by IV's story. Edward and Kain were cool, and the story was okay, but I was never that interested.

Slade
11-24-2005, 05:44 AM
Most epic? No not really.

Skarr
12-04-2005, 03:49 AM
When it comes to true fantasy games...none of the other ff games can top IV. Most epic...no, most fantasy...yes. Why? It probaly has something to do with all those Kingdoms, Knights, the evil Empire, the other, darker(well not more evil...but hotter) world. The experience of entering the World of Summons (no other ff moment lives up to that...in my opinion). The moon world (that was fantasy). Fighting mostly all of the best summons to gather them in your arsenal. All those awesome final level weapons...(which is in all ff games...but it seemed better in IV...:confused: And I really don't know why.). Good characters, a good story with more twist and turns than j'lo's love life. :tongue: To those of you that like quest's, cheesy "I'll save you" moments...this is your game. Well its everyone's. Anyway...fudge you

tampaviking
12-05-2005, 11:30 PM
the fact that so many playable characters seemingly die, that was a big part of the game it kinda showed just how desperate their battle really was. sort of like star wars something bad happens but later everybody comes out ok. number one for me too, mystic quest is a close second;)

Leprechaun_boy3
12-08-2005, 02:45 AM
it was all great until u get to the end of the game and realize that you took an airship underground and in space and that everyone in the game died

fire_of_avalon
12-08-2005, 04:24 AM
Epic? I don't know, mostly all the FF's are pretty epic. Bestest? Yes. Yes it was. I love FF IV. With all my heart.

Behemoth
12-20-2005, 05:06 PM
It was definately the most fantasy-based of them all, no doubt. Epic doesn't necessarily have to be related to swords and dragons, although I do believe it had the most epic scene out of any of the FFs- cecil becoming a paladin. Slaying your dark side to become a holy knight in the name of good! Que the power metal!

KagomJack
12-21-2005, 02:43 AM
I loved Final Fantasy 4. It's not my absolute favorite, but it ranks high on my list. It also felt the most movie-like to me. It'd be nice to see this game turned onto the silver screen, I believe...only if it's done right and by the right people.

Sephex
12-21-2005, 02:50 AM
IV certainly has a unique feeling to it. No other FFs has come close to the feeling I get while playing this game--even if I am playing the watered down American SNES version. It's my favorite game of all time.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-21-2005, 03:01 AM
FFIV doesn't have a great plot so much as it has the framework of a great plot. Everything's there, but nothing's really fleshed out. That, and the technology rather prevents the characters from being able to emote outside of text and "!" bubbles. (The Cecil/Rosa sprite was a rather clever improvisation, though.)

Sephex
12-21-2005, 03:21 AM
(The Cecil/Rosa sprite was a rather clever improvisation, though.)

Yeah, I remember the first time I saw that. I thought they were just going to sit there and talk about how much they missed eachother for on hour while the tower collapsed. Then I realized that would be a pretty crappy ending. It's a good thing they kissed or else FFIV would have sucked!

Uh..I don't know where that came from.

RaidenWeb17
12-30-2005, 10:17 PM
you just spoiled the game for me.....

*cries in corner*

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-02-2006, 05:53 AM
There's something else wrong with FFIV's story that I didn't mention originally, but now that John Pading has put this together, I have no excuse not to.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/wahoninja/four.jpg (http://wafflehouseninja.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=6304741&publicUserId=5244814)

Sephex
01-02-2006, 07:21 AM
There's something else wrong with FFIV's story that I didn't mention originally, but now that John Pading has put this together, I have no excuse not to.

Know where I can see more of those? That was awesome.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-02-2006, 07:26 AM
http://wafflehouseninja.1up.com/

Memoria
01-02-2006, 07:20 PM

Not to mention, it is the most cliched RPG ever.