PDA

View Full Version : Titanic Box Set

Little Miss Awesome
11-06-2005, 05:26 PM
There is a four disc Titanic special edition coming out later this month. I was wondering people's opinions on the film, too. I think it's good, but thats probably because I like Leonardo DiCaprio. I think it is really moving though...
Anyway, the box set is supposed to have an alterate ending, does anyone knows what this entails :p Or can anybody make an educated guess?

Dreddz
11-06-2005, 07:33 PM
I dont know why theres a large crowd of people hating the movie, I saw it and liked it ....

Necron
11-06-2005, 08:48 PM
I think it's a great movie. One of the saddest (by this i mean it makes some people cry) i have ever seen. I really want to see the alternative ending. Hmm.. my guess is that Leonardo (I think his movie name is Jack, i have a bad memory) will survive.. Either that or that Rose also dies.

Mr. Mojo Risin
11-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Maybe the ship doesn't sink!

Necron
11-06-2005, 09:37 PM
lol

Azure
11-07-2005, 12:33 AM

:laugh:

Marshall Banana
11-07-2005, 01:36 AM
I really liked the movie the first time I saw it, but I was like, 10 at the time. I have it on VHS somewhere, though. I might watch it again sometime.

An alternate ending sounds interesting, but it's probably nothing too significant. Maybe it has something to do with the scene where Jack and Rose are reunited on the ship with all the other passengers that died. That was the very last scene of the movie, right? XD

RSL
11-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Either that or that Rose also dies.
This seems unlikely as the entire movie is her retelling the story.

I enjoyed the movie Titanic. I don't know why many hate it, but that would never influence my opinion on it. I won't be buying any boxed set though.

nik0tine
11-07-2005, 01:41 AM
I remember loving the movie back in the day, but now it just seems like a joke. :p I won't be buying any special Titanic box set.

GooeyToast
11-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Not that it matters, but the American version only has 3 discs :(

Miriel
11-07-2005, 01:55 AM
It was alright. Pretty cheesy if you ask me. It didn't deserve all the praise it recieved, and it also didn't deserve a lot of the hatred it recieved.

Shlup
11-07-2005, 01:58 AM
It was alright. Pretty cheesy if you ask me. It didn't deserve all the praise it recieved, and it also didn't deserve a lot of the hatred it recieved.
Ditto that.

A lot of my peers saw it several times in the threatre, but that's only because it was extra long and thus allowed for more make-out time.

Destai
11-07-2005, 01:58 AM
I remember when it came out on VHS this time of year about six years ago, I was 9 or 8 and absaloutely everyone got it for christmas. Anyway chances are high that in the alt ending Jack survives.

YunaGirl05
11-07-2005, 03:26 AM
I love that movie! I could quote any scene. i think the alturnative ending has to do with the heart of the ocean. thats what i read somewhere

Slade
11-07-2005, 04:20 AM
The alternate ending must have something to do with Rose revealing to Jack that she is his father.....thats my educated guess.

Del Murder
11-07-2005, 06:21 AM
I consider it one of my greatest accomplishments that I have never seen this movie.

Calliope
11-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Does the boxed set come with an ice cube tray?

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-07-2005, 07:24 AM
I too have never seen the movie, it never really appealed to me.

I too, count this as a great achievement.

ThroneofDravaris
11-07-2005, 02:04 PM
I ran my ship into an iceberg once. Talk about terrible places to get frost bight!

…yeah, I’m done.

Necron
11-07-2005, 06:23 PM
This seems unlikely as the entire movie is her retelling the story.

I wouldn't say it was retelling the whole story. Only the ending really.

edczxcvbnm
11-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Alternate ending? SNL did that.

"So...where is the jewel?"
Old bitch: "Well there was a lot of chaos and"
People: "SHUT UP! We listened to your boring ass story for over 3 hours and the whole point was so you could tell what happened to the jewel. NO WHERE IS IT?!"
*Old bitch starts to talk about the tradgity again*
*People beat her ass to death*

Captain Maxx Power
11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Me watching Titanic involved three distinct phases. The first primary phase was sheer annoyance at the film. The second was sheer disgust at the thought of that weedy DiCaprio getting jiggy with the uber-lardish Winslet. The third was my overaptuous joy watching the immigrants drowning and seeing the passangers falling off the side of the ship onto the fans below. I am SO going to Hell now. Thanks a lot Cameroon!

Rainecloud
11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
I like it. Especially the ending. :thumb:

(Note: I'm referring to DiCaprio, not the untimely demise of the passengers).

eestlinc
11-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I pissed off my friends in the theater because I couldn't stop laughing because the movie was so ridiculous.

Winter Nights
11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
I should note that I'm a guy whose a sucker for a good romance. And I don't mind long, drawn-out movies.

That said, this movie bored the farking hell out of me. It started decently enough, but the movie never picked up. The pacing was horrible. The story pulls generic plot points from a bunch of other romance movies, very few of which did the plot any better: Unhappy rich girls falls for a poor boy, to the dismay of her rich boyfriend, who (of course) is evil.. Through very little time with the poor boy, she comes to the conclusion that she fits in his world and must be with him always, despite only seeing the good things about him and the world of the less fortunate. Like most movies of it's type, it depicts poor people as fun, flamboyent people and rarely touches on the harder side of their reality, aside from the rich folk snubbing their noses toward them.

Despite flaws with such a plot, other movies have managed to make decent movies out of it. Titanic's biggest flaw is it's pacing. As I said, long movies don't bother me. If paced right, you won't even notice the time slip by. However, Titanic is just horribly slow. It's very loose and and feels like James Cameron was just taking his time with the story. Problem is the story has too many obvious flaws to be epic. It spends way too much time trying to bash it in our heads that they belong together, as if Cameron couldn't trust that DiCaprio and Winslet to convey it properly themselves. When the ship finally hits the iceburg, you find yourself brieving a sigh of relief.. Something that should not happen in a movie of this type. Instead of feeling a sense of loss in the tragedy, you find yourself glad something is happening. After having to wade through so much crap, you become apathetic to the true story that inspired the movie. A great tragedy is reduced to a plot point to shake things up for our "heroes". Then, there's the death scene. It was inevitable, of course. To let them be together would be to actually state that they COULD work as a couple when, despite the film beating it into your head that they could, realistically you know they would never fit into each other's worlds. While that move did make sense to me, it's beyond me how treating a fictional character's death as more tragic than a ship full of real people sinking to their deaths sounded like a good idea on paper.

Overall, the film takes a really generic plot and pretends that it's an epic, creating an overy drawn out film that's just full of itself. Honestly, if Cameron had editted really tightly, it may have made a decent flick. Fantasy romances are what Disney has built an empire on. It sounds dreamy and, if paced right, could possibly suck you into the illusion. Unfortunately for Titanic, Cameron gave it alot more time than it deserved, giving the viewer plenty of time to realize how insanely ridiculous it is.

As for the alternate ending..

On Disc Two is Alternate Ending: "Brock's Epiphany" (9:15) which was actually the original ending of the film. As explained by Cameron in the optional commentary, he was trying to wrap up everything for all the characters and in doing so, told too much. Not only is it inferior to ending we know, it's so schmaltzy that it gives a horrifying glimpse of what it may've looked like if Steven Spielberg had directed this film.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/660/660963p2.html

CaZ!
11-08-2005, 06:41 PM
titanic = all plus lots of tears :cry:
i hope the alternate ending involves kate winslet dying and not leo lol
*jives to elvis* :strut:

Winter Nights
11-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Read the post directly above you.

Miriel
11-08-2005, 07:08 PM

Why would you want Kate Winslet to die? She's an amazing actress and from what I hear a wonderful person all around. And besides, I think having an actress die for the purposes of a film would qualify as murder.

It's also a pet peeve of mine when people can't disgtinguish between an actor and the character being portrayed by an actor.

Wuggly Blight
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
James himself seems to be a good director, he did years of research before and after, examining the wreck and remained a figure in the Titanic circles for a while voicing his views on the constant "artifact retreval." I got bored of the romance plots along time ago, moreso Jack could never actually go passed third class for health and and safety laws. With the research James did I would of thought he would of used more facts then rumors, Titanic was never claimed to be unsinkable by White star nor Harland and Wolffe, someone on the project once said with all the safety features it was PRACTIALLY unsinkable, and nobody actually belived it was unsinkable anyway.

The films pacing was a bit slow, The more intresting characters was not well looked into or put aside, molly brown was never called Molly until after the sinking, and she was a well spoken women fulent in 5 languages. wow... I'm a nerd...

The sets was impressive, they didn't take the cheep way out and it really shows during the film. It personally seems abit to Americanised, but thats just me.

Rusty
11-09-2005, 01:36 AM
I love this film, it's my favourite. So, I'll be buying the box set when it comes out over here. Kate Winslet is an amazing actress.

TheAbominatrix
11-09-2005, 02:57 AM
I like aspects of this film. Movies like Titanic and Pearl Harbor, which take a huge real tragedy and boil them down to a cheap love story set in said tragedy have the tendency to annoy me. I didnt like Jack and Rose at all, and I really hated my peers becoming so obsessed with the film.

That being said, there are some good aspects of the movie. I did cry when I saw it, mainly because of the scene with the mother putting her children to bed as the water rushes in. I was way more interested in the other passengers than in the main characters.

Shlup
11-09-2005, 03:18 AM
I didn't cry 'cause of the woman tucking in her children as much as the old couple cuddling together. xD

But, yeah, ditto what fatty said.

TheAbominatrix
11-09-2005, 03:30 AM
That got to me too. Seeing all these innocent people trapped below decks, not being allowed so much as a chance to survive because they were too poor (the lower decks sealed off was just screwed up), all those screwed up things that really happened were a lot more heartbreaking to me than some infatuated fictional couple.

fatty xD

Winter Nights
11-09-2005, 03:54 AM
I think the biggest problem is focusing on just them for most of the movie. Making it more of an ensemble cast and telling multiple tales would have worked better than a three hour movie focusing on two character alone.

Shlup
11-09-2005, 04:02 AM
I agree. The sex in the car was hot though.

Winter Nights
11-09-2005, 03:32 PM
I agree. The sex in the car was hot though.
Can't deny the truth.

Little Miss Awesome
11-09-2005, 10:11 PM
The bits what get me crying the most are when Jack and Rose are on the top deck and you see everyone falling when the ship breaks in half, and when the poor people die too, me and my mates always have a discussion about how sick we think it is they weren't even given a chance to live after the film has finished.

Wuggly Blight
11-10-2005, 06:49 PM
In reality, Titanic was able to carry enough boats on board plus 60 extra, as noted in Tom Andrews Note Book, but a red line was threw the notes. The third class was neevr kept below because they was simply poor and third class, the barriers was always locked at all times to prevent class mixture, of the American port officals found out the ship would be moored for weeks while everyone underwent health and safety checks, costing a hell of alot of money, those ships always had tight schedules. During the sinking, the order was never given to release the barriers, at first nobody knew the situation understandably, why it was never given after is anyones guess, easy to slip the mind when you know 1300 are going to die. In the investigation one of the crewman said even when the bow was nearly under, we didnt think it would sink, we belived it would just stay like that and correct itself abit.

Chris
11-10-2005, 07:02 PM
I think it's a good movie, but I don't feel the need to buy this edition. It's way too extensive, a little too much Titanic in one place.