PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur 3

Dignified Pauper
11-06-2005, 07:16 PM
It's so pretty, but I think the engine is slightly slow. Like there are some delays. The new characters are pretty sweet. The scythe = mmm mmm good.

Talim still rocks.

Astaroth still has the mighty baseball bat swing. (not the real move name)

Ivy still looks like a whore, and in another outfit, a widow. Cervantes looks sweet. Abyss, the main boss, is killer hard and sweet and is like nightmare to Siegfried only with the Scythe wielding character.

Let's just say, it's sexay.

Voldo is still creepy.

Mitsurugi is still the shiz.

and I still am the bomb.

Dreddz
11-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I want it bad, but Im not going to import it as I usually will do multiplayer, and I dont think anyone is bothered to see me swap discs all the time. And I played SC2 alot, so Ill probably play SC3 alot too ......

Madame Adequate
11-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Way I hear it told the main boss is a chap named Night Terror. Haven't fought him myself, but accounts suggest they've gone to the old-school idea of having to never lose a match, and having to pick exactly the correct choices when you get them, so I'm not terribly surprised I've not seen him if he's real.

I really like the new characters. Tira is pretty spiffy, but Zas and Setsuka are very, very awesome.

I love what they've done with Voldo, he's even better now. And he was pretty powerful beforehand. I'm also glad they made Cassandra better, and cuter for that matter. It was a no-brainer between her and Sophitia in II.

Project G
11-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Can't you make your own character in SC3?

Devourment
11-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Is it available on GameCube?

NeoCracker
11-07-2005, 01:02 PM
I love the more fluid motion and freakin fast load times.
I think its the more fluid motion that made Voldo scarier.
And next to voldo my favorite is cool sythe boy

Dreddz
11-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Casandra or Cervantes ( spelling ) were the best ......

Madame Adequate
11-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Is it available on GameCube?

Nope, PS2 only.

Yes, you can make your own character.

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
11-08-2005, 05:02 AM
The thing I fear the most is that Siegfried fangirls would shout
SIEG* HEIL! given that Siegfried Schtauffen is back.

Other than that trivial rant, would someone please help me rank the characters by tier levels?

*Sieg, as in short for Siegfried.

Project G
11-08-2005, 12:21 PM
As Siegfried is back, will you be able to play as either Nightmare and Siegfried or just Siegfried?

Callahan
11-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Both, Nightmare has seperated himself from Seigfried and and now is just a mass of that nightmare skin stuff under the cool armor.

Post your Custom Characters names

Buck Leather the Barbarian is mine.

Devourment
11-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Ahhh. C***ing GameCube. They released II on it so why can't they bloody well release III on it! I can't be arsed to shed out money for a PS2.

Mirage
11-14-2005, 01:41 PM
They didn't release SC1 or Soul Blade for it either did they? It's not really that big a deal.
For me it's still 4 more days until the release, but I'm looking forwards to it. Question, is Heihachi in SC3? Not that he was my favourite or anything, just wondering.

Jowy
11-14-2005, 02:24 PM
From what I've seen so far, No Heihachi. I've only played it at a friend's house though.

Dreddz
11-14-2005, 04:58 PM
OMG, its released this friday. Fuck yes !!!

Brian The Pink Shark
11-14-2005, 05:35 PM
i got it pre-ordered, im looking forward to the character creation mode :choc:

Madame Adequate
11-14-2005, 06:29 PM
From what I've seen so far, No Heihachi. I've only played it at a friend's house though.

I'm far from unlocking everything, but so far there is no sign of Heihachi.

Vermachtnis
11-15-2005, 11:40 PM
This game is very, very awsome. Amy is my favorite new character. Xaingua has pushed Talim outta top place in this game, in my eyes. I got to Night Terror with Xiangua. Lemme tell you this, Night Terror is not picnic and yes you have to not die and not only that on the path to Night Terror you have to fight one of the hardest characters. Good news is you can die many, many, many, many times fighting Night Terror. Trust me, he killed my sorry ass well over 15 times.
I created Yuri, Keith, Margerete, and Karin from the Shadow Hearts games.
How's everyone doing in CotS? I being lazy and only at Chronicle 6.
Sorry to say but there is no Heihachi. The closest thing is Grieve Edge.

Project G
11-16-2005, 10:29 AM
I hated Heihachi in SCII so I'm glad that he's not in it

Markus. D
11-16-2005, 11:29 AM
i got it pre-ordered, im looking forward to the character creation mode :choc:

i heard its immersively varietic.
but they say those characters look generic.... which sucks.

Black Angel
11-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Where I live, it has already come out but I haven't really seen any comercials about it, but a friend of mine is gonna let me borrow it, since they have already beat it...

Dreddz
11-16-2005, 05:54 PM
I hated Heihachi in SCII so I'm glad that he's not in it
he was great, better than Link or Spawn .....

Ruskies
11-16-2005, 06:13 PM
yeah I work at a gamestop and Soul Cal 3 came out on the 26th of october... Ive actually been to a tournament already for it.

(p.s.) took 1st in a field of 24 with Xianghua, Seong Mina, Cassandra, Sophita and the beast himself Voldo...

edczxcvbnm
11-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Soul Calibur II wasn't all that and a bag of potato chips so I will pass on this one or pick it up when it is much cheaper.

*plays some soul cal on cast~dream*

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-16-2005, 07:29 PM
From what I've seen Soul Calibur III is pretty good, and the character creation mode reminds me of Ogre Battle, which makes me very happy. Plus it seems to be pretty diverse and interesting. Even the normal story mode is cool.

Ruskies
11-16-2005, 07:48 PM
No it is really good, way better then the second because the characters are all even'd out. They slow some of them down and make some of them weaker and take away moves to make it more a of a tournament style fighter. Every aspect of the game is addicting even the tactical style game you play with your create a character. The only bad part about the game is if your new to it the AI is insane hard. They catch on to what you do and start negating it so instead of coming with a few powerful moves and combos you have to bring the whole enchilada to the table or they block and parry everything. Totally awesome game!!!

http://www.iconusa4.com/online/Images/Spawn/SoulCalibur/sc2_voldo_2.jpg
VOLDO says ERRRHHHAAAA!!!!

CUZ HE IS THE BEST

crashNUMBERS
11-16-2005, 07:51 PM
From what I've seen Soul Calibur III is pretty good, and the character creation mode reminds me of Ogre Battle, which makes me very happy. Plus it seems to be pretty diverse and interesting. Even the normal story mode is cool.
Ogre battle?? Oh my god. I tried that game and didn't know what to do in the first map :eep:

Project G
11-17-2005, 09:46 AM
he was great, better than Link or Spawn .....

Good point, but who looked better?

Brian The Pink Shark
11-17-2005, 07:54 PM
I got it today, it's really good, the Charcter creation mode is rather varied but you have to buy all the cool items :( :choc:

Mercen-X
11-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Can't you make your own character in SC3?
There are 16 points of main customization: Head, Hair, Mask, Chin, Lower Torso, Mid Torso, Upper Torso, Shoulders, Arms, Neck, Waist, Lower Legs, Upper Legs, Shins, Socks, Feet. Then there's the face and voice swap. You can acquire more faces through gameplay, but the new voices depend on the "personality" of your character based on what's equipped. Pay attention to the bottom of the character where a gauge keeps track of his/her mood.
There are six default jobs and each job can acquire new disciplines (fighting styles which involve different weapons) in Chronicles of the Sword mode. The default jobs: Barbarian, Monk, Thief, Dancer, Saint, Ninja, and acquired jobs: Swordsman, Pirate, Assassin, Sage, Knight, Samurai, all have their own default dress styles (which can be altered), as does the Sword Master job which automatically has every discipline in the game. It takes awhile to earn.
There are over 600 pieces of armor to customize your created characters (many of them must be purchased in the shop, but a lot are unlocked by playing through the Chronicles and Tales of Swords modes.
I took the opportunity to flesh out some characters I made for recent RPGs and it's pretty satisfying. The default character creation limit is three, but you can purchase more spaces from the shop when they become available.
There is also a random creation icon in the character select of certain other modes. Then there are the bonus characters unlocked via Chronicles and Tales of Swords, but they are all basically created characters whose armor and weapons you can't change.

Garland
11-18-2005, 02:35 AM
If SCIII has any flaws, it's the AI. The AI defends with a cheapness only explainable by CPU cheating. The AI reads controller inputs. The resulting nigh invulnerable AI doesn't force you to become a better player. It's not that sort of a challenging AI. The AI will block every throw, GI all your combos, and generally dispatch you as if you weren't playing at all. Instead, you're forced to browse your move list for that one attack that the AI has no scripted perfect defense against. It seems every character has a "win move" that they can spam to beat the perfect turtling AI. Gamefaqs and I believe Soulcalibur.com both have lists of these moves for each character. Other than the AI though, SCIII is my favorite fighting game ever. I'm completely hooked on the character maker. Unlocking all the content will take me ages.

Ruskies
11-18-2005, 02:48 AM
If SCIII has any flaws, it's the AI. The AI defends with a cheapness only explainable by CPU cheating. The AI reads controller inputs. The resulting nigh invulnerable AI doesn't force you to become a better player. It's not that sort of a challenging AI. The AI will block every throw, GI all your combos, and generally dispatch you as if you weren't playing at all. Instead, you're forced to browse your move list for that one attack that the AI has no scripted perfect defense against. It seems every character has a "win move" that they can spam to beat the perfect turtling AI. Gamefaqs and I believe Soulcalibur.com both have lists of these moves for each character. Other than the AI though, SCIII is my favorite fighting game ever. I'm completely hooked on the character maker. Unlocking all the content will take me ages.

The computer wont block the throws if you throw fakes and the only reason they block all the attacks is probably because all the attacks are mid attacks or low attacks, they catch on just like any human controled opponent would. All you have to do is mix it up, do your own counters and take advantage of your cpu's open spots. The AI was hard at first but now its a breeze (except for when the cpu is Ivy). So please stop saying the cpu cheats cuz all that needs to be done is spend time learning your characters moves. If you bring at least two high/two mid/two low attacks and learn to throw fakes (which is as simple as hitting block early in your attack which lets you do throws with ease ).

Garland
11-18-2005, 03:12 AM
The computer wont block your throws if you know how to throw fakes and the only reason they block all your attacks is because all your doing is mid attacks or low attacks, they catch on just like any human controled opponent would. All you have to do is mix it up, do your own counters and take advantage of your cpu's open spots. The AI was hard at first but now its a breeze for me (except for when the cpu is Ivy). So please stop saying the cpu cheats cuz all you need to do is spend time learning your characters moves. If you bring at least two high/two mid/two low attacks and learn to throw fakes (which is as simple as hitting block early in your attack which lets you do throws with ease ) then youll probably be able to stop crying about the cpu being a "cheater".

What's that? I need to use more than one height of attack? Learn my character's moves? Really, enough of the "maybe you'll be able to stop crying" garbage. If I wanted condescension, I'd read Gamefaqs.

Ruskies
11-18-2005, 03:27 AM
[!]ok then stop crying to all of us and just realize the fact your not very good.[/!]

We don't tolerate this here.

~Void

Garland
11-18-2005, 03:36 AM
Did you come here solely to cause trouble? I don't believe I was crying at all. "Just realize the fact that you're not very good"? Save that for another thread. This is an SCIII oppinions thread. Not your oppinions on me. I'm not returning the favor out of fear of getting in trouble (don't care to be modded). I did in fact state that the game is one of my favorites and I'm totally hooked. I just happen not to like the new AI. In SCII, there were several phases of difficulty, and on the final phase, the AI had the same sort of perfect defense. It was good for that level, but it isn't appropriate to be thrown at you randomly. SC III has no difficulty setting for the primary single player modes.

Ruskies
11-18-2005, 03:48 AM
No I didnt respond to this meaning to point at you and say your crying, all I wanted to accomplish was the fact that yes soul calubur III AI has a brain and they dont bend over and take hits like they did before. You had your opinion, I respect that and I appologize if it came off like I was just attacking you but I also have my opinion. I hear alot about people saying the AI is hard and I dont want someone to think against buying the game because they heard the AI is unfair...

I think this game is awesome and I am glad you do too, im happy to hear that people love this game as much as I do I just dont want someone to be scared off cuz of something someone said, its just not fair...

Once again I am sorry if you felt attacked I was just giving an opinion from a point of view... thats all.

I dont care about getting in trouble either I have more important things to think about like college, I just love this site and having post-convo's with people...

Garland
11-18-2005, 04:04 AM
That's cool then. I'll chalk it all up to internet text not conveying tone of voice. I could like the new AI if it were structured better. I'm not sure my real complaint is with difficult AI as with inconsistant AI. Maybe you're a SC expert, I myself am probably average, but even below me in skill are first time buyers. In other fighting games, you learn to play on the easy level, get better in the middle level, and hone your reflexes on the god level.

You said you were concerned about prospective buyers being turned away by the negative criticism of the AI. I agree that no player should be turned off from buying this incredible game. I do think though, that if they don't know what's coming, they aren't going to have any fun at all when they pop in the game, start up the game's very first playable mode, and lose in 3 seconds. If this is a person's first Soul Calibur experience (which is a shame in itself, I loved the other three), what a harsh learning curve the game presents. It's as if Namco expects casual players to spend their first 50 hours in the practice mode before dipping into the fun. I managed to overcome the AI to unlock most of the stuff (I think), by virtue of prior soul calibur experience (I already knew the fundamentals - to an extent), and a modest dash of cheapness (though some would say there's no such thing as cheap, in playing to win). If this was my first fighting game, I'd have thrown a fit and smashed my controller 100x more than I do now. I'd have probably given up.

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-18-2005, 04:12 AM
Be it intended or not, you should watch what you say Yunaslove. I've only deleted one comment but I might easily have done more.

Ruskies
11-18-2005, 04:16 AM
Yeah I agree if this was someones first fighting game they wouldnt hae such a great time either. I am by no means a SC expert just a huge SC fan. I love goin to tournaments for this game and even more for Tekken. I love fighting games ( I play them when im burnt out with rpg's) I even bring my tekken arcade stick with me whenever I play these games away from home.:D Im glad this is settled and if you dont mind me asking who are your fav. SC characters?

Garland
11-18-2005, 04:28 AM
In Soul Blade/Edge it was Sophitia, because her final weapon was unbreakable, and since attacks were much less fluid, even I could reliably block just about everything, and was immune to annoying weapon breakage. I wanted to like Taki and Siegfried, but wasn't very good with them.

In Soul Calibur, my favorite character was Nightmare, after trying to use Sophitia unsuccessfully with the same strategy I did in the prior game. Her advantage I exploited was gone. I tried Taki, but I could never really take advantage of the only thing she has going for her: lightning fast attacks. I couldn't think ahead fast enough. Nightmare is incredibly easy to pickup and play. I got modestly good, if beating inexperienced dorm floor friends is modestly good. I could beat the computer on all the levels, which was fine for my non tournament going self.

In Soul Calibur II, I stuck with Nightmare. I only had the Gamecube version, not out of any system fanboyism, or Link fetishes, but because of PS2 and Gamecube, the cube has better graphics. I missed getting an Xbox and it's not worth it now. Soul Calibur II played like Soul Calibur 1.5 as far as I'm concerned. Nightmare is Nightmare.

In Soul Calibur III, I have to split my answer. Of course, my favorite character is Kali, my cool little Dancer. She does things with tambourines that I never learned in marching band. Of the plot characters, well, I've had a change of pace. In Soul Calibur I and II, I thought the big weapon users like Seigmare and Astarock had the advantage. In Soul Calibur III, it seems like throwing out a constant blitz of cheese combos till something gets through puts the advantage in the light characters' court. I'm thinking Taki is actually getting me the best results so far, though I haven't really given Voldo a serious try. Dancer is remarkably Voldo-esque. I might try later.

Mo-Nercy
11-18-2005, 11:53 PM
I consider myself rather scholarly when it comes to everything Soul Calibur. I myself haven't participated in any organised tournaments but that's only because the last one anywhere near my area was held when I was still rather n00b (we're talking pre-Tekken 5 in the arcades time, people)... Not that I'm saying I am very good now. I haven't been playing much lately because of the aforementioned rival 3D fighter.

Anywho, I'd just like to add my two cents and say how much of a let down it was for me to hear that Soul Calibur III would not exist in the arcades. It's as if Namco just let Tekken take over this area, and though I have the utmost respect for Tekken, its fighting style of forcing CH and working away on juggles isn't my flavour. I much prefer the emphasis on timing and movement that SC brings. Unfortunately now, I am unable to show off my prowess in an arcade environment. Sure, I can still play with friends and such but because I've played "professionally", I mop the floor with most of them. Do you have any idea how disheartening it is to pull off a seemless buffer for Calamity Symphony and have no one understand the effort you went to? Or to 4B+K with Taki and follow straight up with Seal of the Fire Dragon and have no pat you on the back in a silent symbol of respect? Without the arcades, Soul Calibur 3, and indeed any fighter that has reverted completely to console, looses all it's credibility as a serious game. That's just my opinion.

I'm still going to buy the game of course. Would I may miss out on a game with Cassandra in it!? Hell, no. This kind of leads into my next rant. The nerfs. I've only played the demo so far (it only has a few characters) so maybe I'm not in a position to judge but I think Kilik's been nerfed to infinity. The guy has lost his 214 (Tribute) and also the games simplest juggle has been removed from his movelist (22_88B, A+B). Also Phoenix Thrust can't be charged freely (that is, without Soul Charge). I never liked Kilik too much in the first place, even though he was my first character but this just leads to me to wonder whether my favourites have been similarly nerfed. Cassandra's godly 236B definitely needs to be brought down in RO power and horizontal breakage but deep down in my heart, I really hope it survives the cut.

Um...I'm done.

Dignified Pauper
11-19-2005, 03:31 AM
so far, i'm only on chronicle nine and have unlocked almost every character but Amy. Still haven't fought Night Terror.

I find the AI challenging, but not impossible by any means, and I am not that great at Fighting games.

Dreddz
11-19-2005, 12:11 PM
I just picked this game up, damn good, Casandra is still the best, the new characters are alright, none of them I partically like, I havent done any character creating yet, maybe in a bit....

Mercen-X
11-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Really freakin' peaved now. I had this three paragraph comment about SC and when I tried to post the GD site told me I wasn't logged in. I know for a fact that I did log in not 20 minutes ago, but I went ahead and logged in again. Then the site told me that my reply had been lost. This isn't the first time this has happened to me and I DON'T LIKE IT!!!!

That aside, Heihachi in SCII should have instead been Cloud, I like that Siegfried and Nightmare are available in SCIII, I've made great strides in Tales and Chronicles modes, took third in the Tournament, my favorite job is Ninja, discipline Kunai double kick flip, second favorite discipline Staff followed by Great Sword, I made Mercerius from Void's Grand Tournament and if I had the money, I'd buy Soul Calibur III.

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-20-2005, 11:11 PM
You actually can make Cloud in the character creation area. I believe it is as follows:

Job: Barbarian
Weapon: Iron Sword (Demon Knife)
Hair: Medium Hard (08, 18)
Lower Torso: Sleeveless Shirt (25, 02)
Arms: Bandit's Gloves (04, 25)
Shoulders: Metal Shoulders (01, 08)
Neck: Scarf (02, 23)
Waist: Large Belt (04, 25)
Upper Legs: Leather Pants (25, 02)
Feet: Buckled Boots (04, 25)
Face: 04
Eyebrows: 07, 26
Eyes: 25, 26
Skin: 05, 20

BatChao
11-21-2005, 05:46 AM
Yes, yes.

Mo's right when he says many characters have been nerfed. I personally don't think Kilik has been nerfed that badly, but that may be because I was never a hardcore Kilik player. I was, however, a hardcore Talim player in SCII, and I can definitely say that she's been nerfed all to hell. I have never seen a character change so drastically between two games... she lost almost everything that made her playworthy, and gained pretty much nothing in exchange. Now she has a lot of Air Leap and Gale options, which is alright, but they hardly even make up for all her lost back-turn and Wind Charmer techniques. She plays much less dodgy than she used to, which is what made her so awesome in SCII. Her speed has been greatly reduced as well, which is a total bummer. However, after a while of getting used to this new Talim, I'm starting to pick her up slowly. She'll never be as good as SCII Talim, but she's still playable in a competitive sense.

I've been to one tournament so far, and I didn't do TOO badly, considering the likes of Aris, B:L, and TieTYT were there (some of the best SC players of the west coast)... but then again, I didn't even get to play them... heehee. At least I didn't get last place, right?

From what I've heard Sophitia and Cassandra lead the pack when it comes to the top tier characters - with Cassandra just edging out Sophie. I haven't gotten the chance to play either character in the hands of a real player yet, so I can't say what that's like. But Cassie was already pretty damn good in SCII.

My overall impression is that once you get passed all the radical changes that were made to the characters, the game starts to shine a bit more. The underlying engine is still good, and I kinda like the new Tales of Souls mode (though getting to Night Terror is a pain in the ass! I don't think I'll be able to 100% this game because that includes getting to Night Terror with every character!). Chronicles of the Sword is alright... though the load times are incredibly annoying. Create-a-Fighter is fun to mess around with, but is kinda limited... they should have implemented sliders like The Sims 2 instead of snap-ons. But as it is, you can make some fun characters to mess around with. Why you can't import your characters to and from Chronicles of the Sword is beyond me... Lack of progressive scan is also baffling considering SCII supported it. It's a lot more fun in single player than any other fighting game, which is great... but let's face it... fighting games are made to be played with other people. And that's why it's confusing why this game will never make it to the arcade. I probably spent hundreds of dollars in quarters on SCII in the arcades. Also, arcade releases are a great way to test out the game and fine tune it before console release. I believe SCII went through 3 or 4 revisions in the arcades before hitting home (with even more changes).

Mo: Have you been to www.soulcalibur.com? They have a forum where you can talk with people in your area to set up meetings to play. They also have tournament announcements and the like. You should go there and see if there are any other players in your area that you can meet up with. And don't worry... Cassie's 236B is still there. You'll have to check on the properites yourself since I never really played with Cassie... but from what have played, the move is there and it's still good. Haven't checked if you can Soul Charge 236B into another 236B, but I think you can... :) Be happy! Cassie is top tier! At least you weren't a Talim player... :(

Mo-Nercy
11-21-2005, 08:47 AM
but they hardly even make up for all her lost back-turn and Wind Charmer techniques.
That's a real shame. If you remember me ranting about this previously, my area was a breeding place for annoying Talim players and I had grown to not like Talim so much. But towards the demise of SCII in the arcades, I actually started playing some Talim, not because I liked her, but just so I could understand where her mix-ups could go and reinforce my game whenever playing against her. But in the recent weeks, just playing against friends, I've been developing Talim and even...*gasp* enjoy using her. I played against an AI Talim in the demo of SC3 I have and, yeah, I thought I could pick out the speed difference, but the loss of the Wind Charmers wasn't particularly evident until I read this. She also has an uglier character design this time round, IMO.

From what I've heard Sophitia and Cassandra lead the pack when it comes to the top tier characters - with Cassandra just edging out Sophie. I haven't gotten the chance to play either character in the hands of a real player yet, so I can't say what that's like. But Cassie was already pretty damn good in SCII.
Sophitia and Cassandra, believe it or not, are vastly different characters. Although I enjoy dabbling in some Sophitia every now and again, I really can't use her that well. I don't know what to think about Cassie being top tier. Half the reason why I chose to use Cassie in the first place was because she was underused and underrated in my area. I wanted to step away from the standard fare Nightmare, Kilik and Talim users but I guess in SC3, people will be jumping on the Cassie bandwagon instead.

I believe SCII went through 3 or 4 revisions in the arcades before hitting home (with even more changes).
I hear Nightmare's 66B was brought down in tracking ability about 3 times in consecutive arcade revisions. And yet, it still ownz.

SC3 still doesn't come out till next week down here but since I have no more exams, I guess I have nothing better to do than try and get myself back into top form. (Although even in top form, I was never any match against the more well-known players, yoshiwutsu, oinking etc.)

Dreddz
11-21-2005, 06:12 PM
OMG, me and my bro's favourite mode Team battle has gone.
Ghey .....

Chibi1309
11-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Talim still rocks.

Glad to hear it. She's my favourite by far on SC2...I haven't played 3 yet but it sounds good. Might give it a go. I'm still more of a Tekken girl myself, though...:rolleyes2

Dreddz
11-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Tekken > Soul Caliber

Mirage
11-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Good thing it isn't better than Soul Calibur then.

TurkSlayer
11-21-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm going to try to get this as a Christmas present, as I certainly don't have the money for it now. I'm very excited about the character creation, that looks great.

Roto13
11-29-2005, 02:37 AM
None of you are Soul Calibur fans. (http://soulcalibur3.us/soulcalibur3/guides/soul_calibur_ii_story.txt) Well, you're not as crazy about it as me. Just click my first scentence.

Project G
11-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Wait a tick, doesnt Li Long get killed by some guy with a blow pipe and darts?
Or doesnt he get killed ny his own Weapon?

Mo-Nercy
11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
None of you are Soul Calibur fans. (http://soulcalibur3.us/soulcalibur3/guides/soul_calibur_ii_story.txt) Well, you're not as crazy about it as me. Just click my first scentence.
Woah. You're pretty meticulous in your research and there's no doubt that you really have a lot of patience and love for the game. Do you do any character FAQs?

I just bought Soul Calibur 3 (just came out here) and it's pretty awesome. I like the way Cassandra turned out. I still have to change my play style to be a little more punisher and a little less pitbull, I think, but I don't think that'll be a problem (it'll probably give my fingers a much needed break xD). I don't like either Nightmare or Siegfried which sucks because SC2 Nightmare was one of my favs because of his stance rotation. Talim seems too different to even bother re-learning. The game's so huge, I haven't even gotton around to some of my other favourites: Kilik, Ivy, Sophitia.

And maybe it's because I'm using my old PS1 controller (but I don't think it makes a difference) but I can't move while I Soul Charge now? I cannot begin to describe my annoyance towards this. :mad2:

Roto13
11-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Uh..... The thought, up until now, was that Li Long was killed by Cervantes.

I don't like either Nightmare or Siegfried which sucks because SC2 Nightmare was one of my favs because of his stance rotation.

Well, Siegfried has pretty much all of SC2 Nightmare's moves. And you might be a bit dissappointed by Ivy. Her poor stances.......

Pointless
11-29-2005, 02:25 PM
I am addicted to this game, I love it. I'm trying to unlock Amy at the moment but she's damn hard considering I'm not all that great with any of the characters you can fight her with, my best bet is Yun-Seong. I beat her once only to be an idiot and soft reset the game to see if I'd unlocked Beloved (yes, I kicked myself for that one).

Roto13
11-29-2005, 02:30 PM
GAH!

NEVER soft reset! And for the love of god, turn off autosave! And save at the options menu every time you finish playing COTS mode. And always finish the chronicle you're on. Please PLEASE backup your file. Why do all these things? This game has an unforgivable problem with save corruption!

Brian The Pink Shark
11-29-2005, 02:51 PM
thanks for that roto, i managed to do so much in my first week of playing only to have it corrupt, im so ashamed i cant even pick up my game controller :( :choc:

Project G
11-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Uh..... The thought, up until now, was that Li Long was killed by Cervantes.

Sorry to pick holes but it's a habit, I remember seeing a movie scene after beating edge master mode with Li Long and in it he is swinging his nunchuka around and then he just dies

Roto13
11-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah, but that ending doesn't count. See, in a fighting game, there are so many endings that they can't all possibly count. Hell, most of them can't happen. For that to work, everybody would have to fight Cervantes and SoulEdge, and everyone would have to get or destroy the same sword. The reason everyone thought it Li Long was killed by Cervantes, is the prologue artwork to Soul Calibur 1. It shows Cervantes standing over a beaten Li Long, and the words "Those who managed to reach the cursed sword cursed their fate as the sword devoured their souls" or something to that effect.

Pointless
11-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Aha, finally unlocked Amy.

Roto13
11-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Amy's biggest strength is her size. She's a mini fencer.

Mo-Nercy
11-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Well, Siegfried has pretty much all of SC2 Nightmare's moves. And you might be a bit dissappointed by Ivy. Her poor stances.......
Neither Nightmare nor Siegfried have the ability to go through stances like SC2 Nightmare did. Nightmare's crouch dash is fun but doesn't really compete with the characters who are more suited to it, namely Cassandra, Sophitia, Raphael. Siegfried does seem more like SC2 Nightmare than SC3 Nightmare but it'll probably take me an age to re-learn him.

I tried Ivy. :mad:

My only remaining usable character is Cassandra (and to an extent, Kilik) now.

Roto13
11-30-2005, 01:10 AM
Try the new characters. Setsuka is my new second favourite. Right after Mitsurugi. And before Taki. I know they're all Japanese. That's not why I like them.

BatChao
11-30-2005, 05:38 AM
Try the new characters. Setsuka is my new second favourite. Right after Mitsurugi. And before Taki. I know they're all Japanese. That's not why I like them.

Setsuka's not Japanese :P Teehee.

Haha, you see what I mean about Talim now, Mo-Nercy? Imagine if Cassandra changed that much and you will feel the pain that I do every time I play that game. But... I can't give her up! Talim is my character for better or for worse!

Ivy is freaky strange now. I don't dig the whole manual chain whip state. But I've seen some pretty neat stuff with her, so she should still be good once you get used to her.

Out of the new characters, I like Setsuka the most. Her style is really strange, though. Her moves don't seem to flow together, and she seems more like a quick poker/punisher. But she is pretty damn cool. Zasalamel is cool... I think he's a little overpowering and quick for such a big character. His lows seem to come out of nowhere. I have a lot of trouble predicting him... it's probably because he's a new character but still... I can almost never see his lows coming... and he has a lot of devistating stuff that include low attacks. Tira... bleh. I don't like her at all. She seems way too slow... and her attacks are really... uhh... dunno how to put it... wierd?

Siggy seems pretty SC2 Nightmare-ish. I only toyed with Nightmare in SC2 once in a while, but a lot of the stuff I did translates well to SC3 Siggy. SC3 Nightmare is just... intersting, but by no means bad. He's just different. That rush move can be pretty surprising if you've never seen it... my first encounter with SC3 Nightmare was in a tourney... I never even touched him before that... I was expecting something like SC2 Nightmare... so when the guy started rushing me with those kicks... I was like... 'WTF is that?!'.

Garland
11-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Tira is my new favorite character. It's ironic because in the first run through TOS with the cast to see the endings, she was my least favorite. She's hard to read, if you stick to simple moves. Just by nature of the way she swings her weapon, it's hard to tell the nature of the next attack. While the computer doesn't care, I hope it'll be an advantage against humans. Newness factor, and her seeming unpopularity might help me get in more attacks that would be dodged on reflex if she were a more familiar character. I only have one human opponent and he's a Cervantes user primarily, so I've gotta get to the practice mode and learn the cheap tricks to beat him.

Mo-Nercy
11-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Haha, you see what I mean about Talim now, Mo-Nercy? Imagine if Cassandra changed that much and you will feel the pain that I do every time I play that game. But... I can't give her up! Talim is my character for better or for worse!
Stick with it! I believe it you. xD

I'm trying to learn Zasalamel. He's pretty fun, if not a little overpowered. But that's just because he's strong and fast. I mean, I used to think Kilik was overpowered because he had range and speed. But all you need is some time to adjust.

You should have seen the look on my face when I saw this guy playing at EB on release day use A+B with Nightmare. I was like :eek:. "Nightmare went Super Saiyan!"

Roto13
11-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Setsuka's not Japanese :P Teehee.

She's half Japanese, though.

Mo-Nercy
11-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Cassandra: 4[A], 2B+K, 2B+G -- OMG, teh pwnag3!

I can't seem to buffer the 2B+K though which is a bummer. Maybe it's time I bought that joypad. It'll probably make it more comfortable for me.

236B:B is also working probably only about 1 out of every 20 times. :mad:

Mercen-X
11-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Neither Nightmare nor Siegfried have the ability to go through stances like SC2 Nightmare did. Nightmare's crouch dash is fun but doesn't really compete with the characters who are more suited to it, namely Cassandra, Sophitia, Raphael. Siegfried does seem more like SC2 Nightmare than SC3 Nightmare but it'll probably take me an age to re-learn him.

Siggy seems pretty SC2 Nightmare-ish. I only toyed with Nightmare in SC2 once in a while, but a lot of the stuff I did translates well to SC3 Siggy. SC3 Nightmare is just... intersting, but by no means bad. He's just different. That rush move can be pretty surprising if you've never seen it... my first encounter with SC3 Nightmare was in a tourney... I never even touched him before that... I was expecting something like SC2 Nightmare... so when the guy started rushing me with those kicks... I was like... 'WTF is that?!'.
SC2's Nightmare was Siegfried-Nightmare. SC3's Nightmare is just a compilation of dead bodies and their spirits merged with a fragment of Soul Edge. Naturally, its fighting style would not be very similar to that of Siegfried.

Roto13
11-30-2005, 10:41 PM
SC2's Nightmare was Siegfried-Nightmare. SC3's Nightmare is just a compilation of dead bodies and their spirits merged with a fragment of Soul Edge. Naturally, its fighting style would not be very similar to that of Siegfried.

No no no no. He's just made of spirits and Soul Edge energy. No bodies. No fragments.

Mo-Nercy
12-01-2005, 12:02 PM
No no no no. He's just made of spirits and Soul Edge energy. No bodies. No fragments.
I don't really go in for all that storyline stuff usually in fighting games. I just play SC to own noobs. xD

But to my understanding, SC2's Siegfried-Nightmare's style was a combination of both Siegfried's Zweihander arts and the "abilities memorised by Soul Edge" or whatever. So, it's not that I didn't expect Siegfried and Nightmare to be unchanged, I just wanted a more half-half kind of break up of the moves. Instead, we have Siegfried who is more or less SC2 Nightmare with a little less fluency and Nightmare who just seems foreign. Makes the Mo sad. =(

I can't get over Cassandra's new pitbulling possibilities. *drool*

Dignified Pauper
12-05-2005, 04:40 PM
I still haven't gotten to the final boss. He's so freakin' hard to get to. I want to get to him just to see how cool Night Terror looks and what happens when you get him.

Regardless, for the CotS mode, I definitely have only gotten to chronicle 14. I've been busy unlocking characters. I took a break from it though.

Dreddz
12-05-2005, 05:00 PM
I think Soul Caliber 3 has definately upped its difficulty, but its still quite easy, I need more practise though.
( damn them for cutting out Team Battle )

Roto13
12-05-2005, 05:26 PM
I want to get to him just to see how cool Night Terror looks and what happens when you get him. .

If you want to see what he looks like, get Nightmare's "good" ending. He's pretty damn cool! Or look at these pics. I won't post them as pics, in case someone doesn't want to see him yet. These aren't vrey good, though. You should probably look at the ending I mentioned.

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/2381/night13ju.jpg

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/8003/night20wq.jpg

Dignified Pauper
12-06-2005, 05:35 AM
first image is corrupt

Roto13
12-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Is not. I just clicked it and it worked fine. You're corrupt!

Mo-Nercy
12-06-2005, 10:00 AM
I think Soul Caliber 3 has definately upped its difficulty, but its still quite easy, I need more practise though.
( damn them for cutting out Team Battle )
I think so too. But Namco fighters have always have rather linear scripts for their characters. I remember originally thinking SC2 had an impossibly tough AI but after learning how the computer controls it's characters, it becomes quite easy.

The new Taki script is ANNOYING. 9 out of 10 times her post-GI attack is 4(A+B). Stupid delay gets me every friggin' time!

Roto13
12-06-2005, 09:02 PM
[!]Shameless self promotion (http://www.gamerhelp.com/rewards/index.shtml#winners)[/!]

Keep it to your signature.

~Void

Lady Selphie
12-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Nope, PS2 only.

Owww, what a pity.:(

Roto13
12-07-2005, 06:11 PM
[!]Shameless self promotion (http://www.gamerhelp.com/rewards/index.shtml#winners)[/!]

Keep it to your signature.

~Void

Ugh, fine. I won a Best But gift card because my FAQ for the storyline was voted the best of the month for November at a web site. The FAQ is in my sig.

Suikojowy
12-30-2005, 12:56 AM
I thought i'd revive this rather than make a new topic.

I recently got the game. I'm using Raphael, like I did in SC2 but the new Siegfried also interests me.

Dreddz
12-30-2005, 01:05 AM
Nightmare is superior to Siegfried in every way.
Ive finally got all the bonus characters, as well as all the main ones too.
Ive been practising alot with Tira recently, I have become very attached to her. Her and Cassandra are holding the top place as favourite character.

Suikojowy
12-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Yeah, i've heard that Nightmare>Siegfriend. I just hate Nightmare >.>

Dreddz
12-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Siegfried is still a good character, I can play him quite well, but Nightmares selection of moves make him better, I find you can link moves better resulting in knocking down the enemy with them barely getting up.

Markus. D
12-30-2005, 01:19 AM
i might buy this game later on today.

Dreddz
12-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Indeed you should, but If you want a good fighter, and havent picked up Tekken 5 yet, I'd run twice as fast for that one. Tekken 5 > Soul Caliber 3

Roto13
12-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Indeed you should, but If you want a good fighter, and havent picked up Tekken 5 yet, I'd run twice as fast for that one. Tekken 5 > Soul Caliber 3

LIEZ!

Markus. D
12-30-2005, 09:14 AM
nahhhhh, I wanna make my own character.... not so much edit one, get my drift? or my burnout?

Dreddz
12-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Create a character aint all that great, there just crappier versions of the main cast, and they dont look that good either...

Mo-Nercy
12-30-2005, 11:52 AM
This is probably going to be contradictory with what I've previously said about Tekken, but I think both games are about the same.

Before I wasn't much of a Tekken fan, mostly because I wasn't any good at it. But I'm slowly picking it up (since SC3 isn't in the 'cades) and I've begun to develop an understanding of it and why people play so willingly. Tekken is a punishers wet dream. The biggest weapon for any character is your opponent's ignorance and stupidity. Drawing the whiff card and landing CH blows, creating stuns and juggles are HUGE in Tekken, which all pretty much coincides with how an SC player would use a character like Cassandra, Raphael... Can't think of anymore punishers worth using.

And in regards to the Create a Character mode, the only good thing about it is the Sword & Shield class. 66K (forward, forward + K) is perhaps the most hilarious move I've seen in a long time. It's just so damn cruel.

Setzer Gabianni
12-30-2005, 02:53 PM
I have played Tekken 2 , 3 , 4 , Tag, 5.

So during my experience of Tekken, I have been wowed over by a few things, but SC3 seems to be more exciting.

Tekken 5 was good, but I needed something new to play with. SC3 is as good as Tekken5, if slightly better.

Raphael Sorel was the first, hm, second character actually I used, and I loved how easily he moved.

Roto13
12-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Create a character aint all that great, there just crappier versions of the main cast, and they dont look that good either...

http://x12.putfile.com/12/34019425712.jpg
http://x12.putfile.com/12/34019334117.jpg
http://x12.putfile.com/12/34019370538.jpg

O RLY?

Dreddz
12-30-2005, 04:10 PM
No offence, but Pierre still dosent look that good, and Mona looks a mess.

Alixsar
12-31-2005, 12:50 AM
Siegfried <3

JaytodaP
12-31-2005, 02:53 AM
Its really good. I got it on Christmas and me and my vros already racked up 30 hours on it. My Character just looks like the Black Knight from Ogre Battle. Plus I made Crono Locke Seph and Cloud and they are alll sick. But I dont play it too much cause Call of Duty 2 has stolen my life.

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 05:08 AM
i brought it for an Aud 50.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun...

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 04:47 PM
well, you would be having a

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuner
time if you had got Tekken 5 ;)

Slothy
01-01-2006, 05:40 PM
It's a matter of opinion really. I've personally never liked the Tekken series much. They're fun for awhile, but I always get sick of them. I'd take Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter over it anyday.

Roto13
01-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh, Soul Calibur is way better than Tekken.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 06:25 PM
No way, Tekken has always been superior, Im not trying to say I dislike or hate Soul Caliber, but Tekken does so much more. Firstly, Tekken has a much better cast of characters than SC. Tekkens combat is more varied, its got more moves for each characters. Where some characters share the same Style, all theres moves are different, while SC's cast each share moves that are too alike.
Tekken doesnt have stupid modes like Chronicles of the sword which was terrible. And SC trys to do more than the average Fighter but fails extras like Create a Character , its just carrying alot more crap than good.
Tekken focuses on its fighting, it has had modes that arent part of the actual fighting game, but there not taken too far, and are there mainly just for a bit of fun. Chronicle of the sword actually requires you to walk through a terrible experience to unlock silly things.
And, Tekken has at least gone one step up, Tekken 5 changed the Tekken experience for the better, While SC3 still feels like the original SC. With a few changes that dont really do much.
And Tekken has had better gameplay, the characters moves look better, they seem more extravigent. Its not just simple
-> A + B
There are awesome combo's which, although harder to pull off, give you more satisfaction than the micro second moves from SC.

Roto13
01-01-2006, 07:17 PM
No way, Tekken has always been superior, Im not trying to say I dislike or hate Soul Caliber, but Tekken does so much more. Firstly, Tekken has a much better cast of characters than SC. Tekkens combat is more varied, its got more moves for each characters.

Well, the characters in SC have way more personality than the Tekken cast, if that's what you were referring to in the first part. More varied movesets than different weapons? No

Where some characters share the same Style, all theres moves are different, while SC's cast each share moves that are too alike.

Two characters have Katanas, so they use a few basic similar moves. Big freaking deal. They're still unique from each other.

Tekken doesnt have stupid modes like Chronicles of the sword which was terrible. And SC trys to do more than the average Fighter but fails extras like Create a Character , its just carrying alot more crap than good.

Create a character is great. There just need to be more parts for males. And more voices.

And, Tekken has at least gone one step up, Tekken 5 changed the Tekken experience for the better, While SC3 still feels like the original SC. With a few changes that dont really do much.

That's because Soul Calibur 2 was damn near perfect.

And Tekken has had better gameplay, the characters moves look better, they seem more extravigent.

Ok, now you're just lying. The moves look better? Have you SEEN Ivy's throws?

There are awesome combo's which, although harder to pull off, give you more satisfaction than the micro second moves from SC.

The SC satisfaction comes from the mindgames. Fakeouts and delays have an actual purpose.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Firstly, Kilik and Seung Mina share moves, as do Siegfred and Nightmare.
I know Namco has tried to seperate them as far as possible, I think they should of scrapped one of them and made a completely new character.
Now, I have seen Ivys throws, but I can say that she probably is the only one with these extravigent throws, and theres only two of them I think
Every character in Tekken has at least 4 long combos ( thats another thing, SC has no long running combos at its hands ). Plus the characters have lots of other moves to pull off.
I agree that SC2 was great, but no game is perfect. I mean,peoplw thought Tekken 3 was the greatest, well Tekken 5 clearly proved them wrong. The thing with SC3, is that its is near identical to SC2

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Tekken > Soul Calibur

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Tekken > Soul Calibur
Correct......

Roto13
01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah, not really though. SC has completely different gameplay. There aren't many combos, because you're supposed to play as you go. Not just say "I'm going to do this 10000 hit combo and win." You have to act and react.

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 07:53 PM
But that sounds too similar to a samurai simulator and that's pretty gay. It's supposed to be a fighting game. Not act and re-act...

Roto13
01-01-2006, 07:55 PM
That's what the feints and fakeouts are for. It's mainly a multiplayer game.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah, not really though. SC has completely different gameplay. There aren't many combos, because you're supposed to play as you go. Not just say "I'm going to do this 10000 hit combo and win." You have to act and react.
Firstly, saying it has completly different gameplay is an absolute lie, just look at reviews, they all have the same views as me.
And im not saying as theres no combo's the game is terrible, Im just saying its so simplistic, every good move is just a tap in a direction and 2 button presses. Sure, im sure they didnt really intend in long button presses, its just that Tekken involved moves for people that just want to pick up and batter, and the moves that gives the hardcore fans fun to be pulling off the big ones....

Roto13
01-01-2006, 08:05 PM
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/198900.asp?q=Tekken

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/198705.asp?q=Soul%20Calibur

Yes, lets talk reviews, shall we?

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 08:14 PM
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920588.asp

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927089.asp?q=soul%20caliber

yawn, we talking future, not past tense silly.......

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 08:22 PM
If you're into hardcore or simple reviews go with gamespot...

http://www.gamespot.com/dreamcast/action/soulcalibur/index.html?q=soul%20calibur

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/action/tekken3/index.html?q=tekken%203

Beating a game by one point isn't much...

Roto13
01-01-2006, 08:24 PM
We could always go for averages

Tekken series: 85.7

Soul series: 92.1

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 08:30 PM
I'd like to see where you got those scores
And Tekken has had more games so it isnt a fair score.....

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 08:36 PM
But you two have to understand that you can't use a simple review to say which is better. It's all in opinion...

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 08:36 PM
screw opinion......well just for this arguement....
He brought reviews into the equation, and im sure its going to backfire on him...

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 08:41 PM
He brought reviews into the equation, and im sure its going to backfire on him...
That's the spirit!!

Roto13
01-01-2006, 09:20 PM
He brought reviews into the equation,

Did I, now?

Firstly, saying it has completly different gameplay is an absolute lie, just look at reviews, they all have the same views as me.

I'd like to see where you got those scores

I got those scores from www.gamerankings.com, and averaged them. Overall, the Soul series is better than Tekken. If you prefer Tekken, go for it.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 09:51 PM
When I mentioned reviews, I was saying you should look opinion on how the gameplay is similier, and they all mention it in some sort or another.
Only that aspect.
And as I said, averaging all of the games is not fair as Tekken has had more games, also, I mention that SC isnt good because it hasnt changed much. So the earlier games may of got better opinions, but now Tekken is far superior ( in my opinion it always was ).
Another point I have to say is that Tekken has a far bigger fan base, meaning that it has a bigger crowd. Also, SC2-3 sold very badly in the UK, while Tekken 4 and 5 sold very well........

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 09:56 PM
well, you would be having a

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuner
time if you had got Tekken 5 ;)

nah, I prefer this create a character mode thing.

and haveing weapons.

and buying weapons

and well, the non-linier story mode is nice, never experienced anything quite like it before in this type of genre.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Well, I'd rather pick a great game with awesome extras ( tekken 1-3 ) than a Good game with alot of crap extras....
I seems like I hate SC or something, I dont btw.....

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Tekken is neat.

bu but.... Create a character is so purdy :(

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 10:06 PM
In my opinion

Soul Edge > Tekken
Tekken 2 > Soul Edge
Soul Calibur = Tekken 3
Soul Calibur 2 > Tekken 4
Tekken 5 > Soul Calibur 2
Tekken 5 > Soul Calibur 3

Roto13
01-01-2006, 10:11 PM
A big fanbase doesn't really mean much. Enter the Matrix outsold Soul Calibur 1. I'm going to assume you don't think ETM is better than SC.

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 10:12 PM
A big fanbase doesn't really mean much. Enter the Matrix outsold Soul Calibur 1. I'm going to assume you don't think ETM is better than SC.
I hope you're not talking to me.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 10:12 PM
I think ETM sold well because "Matrix" was in the title. I can sanely say that ETM is not better than SC. I wasnt saying the fanbase thing as it is a fact that Tekken is better, I was just saying in general that Tekken outsold SC

No me unfortunately :(

Roto13
01-01-2006, 10:16 PM

I'm not, but I would assume it applies. I wasn't trying to put words in anyone's mouth, though. It's just the general opinion among gamers that ETM was garbage. If you do like it, though, go for it.

I think ETM sold well because "Matrix" was in the title. I can sanely say that ETM is not better than SC. I wasnt saying the fanbase thing as it is a fact that Tekken is better, I was just saying in general that Tekken outsold SC

Then why did you say it? I was under the impression that this was a discussion about which is better.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
I was just saying that more people like Tekken than SC.

Roto13
01-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I know. But why did you bring it up if not as evidence that Tekken is better?

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm not, but I would assume it applies. I wasn't trying to put words in anyone's mouth, though. It's just the general opinion among gamers that ETM was garbage. If you do like it, though, go for it.[/COLOR]
Never said I did. I was asking because I though you said that I brought up that fan base crap...

Roto13
01-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Never said I did. I was asking because I though you said that I brought up that fan base crap...

Just a misunderstanding, then.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 10:22 PM
I was asking because I though you said that I brought up that fan base Genious
:)
oh and Roto13, I just was saying it in general, but it does show that Im not the only person with the same view.....

Roto13
01-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Sure. I can point you to a website full of people that prefer SC. And I'm sure you can do the same for Tekken.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Wait a sec, do we search for fan sites now ?

Roto13
01-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Nah. Why bother? We both know they're out there. No reason to, oh, say, have a link to one hidden in the picture in your sig.

Dreddz
01-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Errrrrrmm, whats the story giude got to do with anything
gratz, on writing that though, musta taken loooooooooong

Roto13
01-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Well, the guide is on the fansite. And thanks, it did take a long time.

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 11:26 PM
No way, Tekken has always been superior, Im not trying to say I dislike or hate Soul Caliber, but Tekken does so much more. Firstly, Tekken has a much better cast of characters than SC. Tekkens combat is more varied, its got more moves for each characters. Where some characters share the same Style, all theres moves are different, while SC's cast each share moves that are too alike.
Tekken focuses on its fighting, it has had modes that arent part of the actual fighting game, but there not taken too far, and are there mainly just for a bit of fun. Chronicle of the sword actually requires you to walk through a terrible experience to unlock silly things.
And Tekken has had better gameplay, the characters moves look better, they seem more extravigent. Its not just simple
-> A + B

well, I find chronicles of sword quite a way to get you to lvl up your characters, which is the only way to unlock classes such an Pirate and Soul of Taki etc.

and well, the idea of any fighting game combo wise is to be creative, for example, I managed to rack up a 30 hit combo with my thief which looks Hawt with his dagger and grenade.

ps: in the pic, its taken with my camera, which is horrible, so yeah, it dont look to good.

Roto13
01-01-2006, 11:29 PM
well, I find chronicles of sword quite a way to get you to lvl up your characters, which is the only way to unlock classes such an Pirate and Soul of Taki etc.

Fight 100 matches with a CAS character with the job you want to get disciplines for. A quicker way: make two characters with the same job, set their health to 0 in vs mode, and fight 50 matches to get all of the disciplines quickly.

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 11:32 PM
mmm, true, but, its not lvls. and you need lvls to become uber and to use special weapons to truly customize a created character to your likeness.

Chinese Blade L1 Sage
Chinese Sword L1 Pirate, L20 Assassin
Dagger L1 Thief, L10 Saint
Grieve Edge L10 Barbarian, L20 Monk, L20 Dancer, L20 Gladiator
Iron Sword L1 Barbarian, L10 Assassin, L20 Pirate
Katana L1 Samurai
Katana & Shuriken L10 Ninja, L10 Samurai, L10 Knight
Kunai L1 Ninja
Lance L1 Knight
Nunchaku L1 Monk
Rapier Pirite LV10, Knight LV20
Sickle L20 Thief, L20 Ninja, L20 Samurai
Soul of Cervantes & Soul of Ivy L30 Pirate
Soul of Lizardman & Soul of Tira L30 Assassin
Soul of Maxi & Soul of Kilik L30 Monk
Soul of Nightmare & Soul of Astaroth L30 Barbarian
Soul of Rock & Soul of Seong Mi-Na L30 Gladiator
Soul of Siegfried & Soul of Raphael L30 Knight
Soul of Sophitia & Soul of Cassandra L30 Sage
Soul of Taki & Soul of Setsuka L30 Ninja
Soul of Xianghua & Soul of Voldo L30 Dancer
Soul of Yoshimitsu & Soul of Mitsurugi L30 Samurai
Soul of Yun-Seong & Soul of Tira L30 Thief
Soul of Zasalamel & Soul of Talim L30 Saint
Staff L1 Saint, L10 Monk, L20 Sage
Steel Fan L10 Dancer, L20 Saint
Sword & Shield L1 Gladiator, L10 Sage
Tambourine L1 Dancer
Wave Sword L1 Assassin, L10 Thief, L10 Gladiator, L20 Barbarian

- gamefaqs website.

Roto13
01-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Nope. You can get all those things with the method I described above.

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 11:41 PM
heh heh, okay, maybey is crap then.

but well, this game still isnt crap.

Roto13
01-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Right. I don't like COTS mode, but I like pretty much everything else. Except the save file corruption. Damn, I wish they had finished this game.

Markus. D
01-01-2006, 11:49 PM
0________o corruption? when?

Roto13
01-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Just turn off autosave, don't soft reset, and always finish the Chronicle you're playing.

Dreddz
01-02-2006, 12:16 AM
I found the best way to unlock stuff is too bring over a mate , although I'd imagine there with there cooler friends playing tekken , well kidnap someone and go to Team battle mode, oh wait, Soul Caliber 3 is so crap and dosent have it. Anyways, go to Vs, and just play and play, Eventually every character unlocks itself........

Roto13
01-02-2006, 12:17 AM
I found the best way to unlock stuff is too bring over a mate , although I'd imagine there with there cooler friends playing tekken , well kidnap someone and go to Team battle mode, oh wait, Soul Caliber 3 is so crap and dosent have it. Anyways, go to Vs, and just play and play, Eventually every character unlocks itself........

Ok, now you're just trolling.

Dreddz
01-02-2006, 12:24 AM
I am, arent I :)

Markus. D
01-02-2006, 12:59 AM

your being kinda n00bfull now.

... My faveorite Tekken tag character was unknown, her stage music was catchy to.

Dreddz
01-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Hmmmmmm guess I have been a bit childish.....:choc2:

EDIT: Yeah, how about you knock it off or get banned then? -Murder